950 replies to this topic

#541 Artur Valour

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas, Holy Terra

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

The mech looks awesome, and I can't wait to get one. However I do agree with others, the legs look a bit long. Can't wait to see the other ones!

#542 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostMystere, on 10 April 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

It's not about foreshortening or perspective. It's that they are blocky/flat instead of rounded. Look at the legs of the concept art:

Posted Image

The orange/grey/flourescent green pictures are essentially the special "Phoenix" variants of the Clan packages. Now look at the legs of the standard variant:

Posted Image

Notice how it's flat and blocky. The screenshots are showing the standard version of the MadCat/Timberwolf Prime

Now go back to the clan package page, click the link to show the images of the mechs, and notice the difference in geometry between the special variants and standard variants.

EDIT: I haven't seen any confirmation yet, but I wouldn't bet that if you bought the a la carte mechs instead of the package that you'd get the special geometry version instead of the standard version.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 11 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#543 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

THIS is MADCAT:

and THIS abomination that PGI claims to be MADCAT isn't one:

Posted Image

Edited by r4plez, 11 April 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#544 C12AZyED

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Im sorry guys, but we all know that THIS IS A MADCAT:

made it myself :)

Edited by C12AZyED, 11 April 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#545 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostC12AZyED, on 11 April 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Im sorry guys, but we all know that THIS IS A MADCAT:

made it myself :)

Looks more like the Cauldron Born.

And are those chainsaw arms?! PGI, scrap CW I want chainsaw arms!

#546 Tyberion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 204 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Terra.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Posted Image

Timberwolf looks great. Want one even more now.

#547 Artur Valour

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas, Holy Terra

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

The mech looks awesome, and I can't wait to get one. However I do agree with others, the legs look a bit long. Can't wait to see the other ones!

#548 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

to me it looks like the legs were simply recycled. reused from the cataphract.

#549 C12AZyED

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostRouken, on 11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Looks more like the Cauldron Born.

And are those chainsaw arms?! PGI, scrap CW I want chainsaw arms!

hehe never hear of the Cauldron Born, looks pretty cool actually

#550 Unusual Suspect

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

I would have preferred less bulky legs (but not by a significant amount... Frankly, when I end up piloting that thing, I'd like for there to be other juicy targets besides the Awesome Side Torsos), and I'm personally glad they didn't have it hinged on the side of the knee rather than over it. That looks awful to me. This comes from someone who isn't married to a particular aesthetic, which I know a lot of Battletech fans of old certainly are.

I find it a bit disturbing that the only Timber Wolf with properly rounded legs ends up being the one you have to pay for (minimum $55, too, so effectively the equivalent of a new game), if the concept art even holds true and the Prime comes with more rounded ankles, especially if it is a limited release. Functionally even if not intentionally, they are holding a cherished aesthetic hostage, and that doesn't sit right with me. At the very least, they could offer a modified Timber Wolf skin post-deal (for MC, because they need customers to bleed money to pay the bills) that at least gives the Timber Wolf one of its iconic visual features a token nod.

Edited by Unusual Suspect, 11 April 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#551 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

View Postr4plez, on 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

THIS is MADCAT:

and THIS abomination that PGI claims to be MADCAT isn't one:

You really think this 80s Madcat looks good? Do you have any sense for aesthetics? :) But each to their own.

Maybe you haven't noticed but it's the camera angle what makes the legs look weird.

#552 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

It's the closest thing I'm going to get to a Marauder I fear.

Good thing I will be able to put Clan ER PPCs on it. (Right PGI?)

#553 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 11 April 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

You really think this 80s Madcat looks good? Do you have any sense for aesthetics? :) But each to their own.

Maybe you haven't noticed but it's the camera angle what makes the legs look weird.

I think they both look good, however I think the old one would suffer some hitbox issues that the new one may avoid.

The images from head on and from the side make the legs look good. But in all the shots at 3/4 view they look big. It could be that all those shots are from lower than a Locust's viewpoint but I would like to see more images to help with that concern.

View PostWVAnonymous, on 11 April 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

It's the closest thing I'm going to get to a Marauder I fear.

Good thing I will be able to put Clan ER PPCs on it. (Right PGI?)

A couple of the stock variants have 2 ER PPCs.

#554 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostC12AZyED, on 11 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

hehe never hear of the Cauldron Born, looks pretty cool actually

65 ton clan mech featured in Mechwarrior 3 (and later in MW4 but fairly mutated)

Spoiler

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 11 April 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#555 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Posted Image

Legs are way to blocky and legs appear too long for the MADCAT making it appear too tall (a size comparison with an IS mech would have solved this issue, but PGI/IGP never really think that far ahead)... and this angle Sreen Shot makes it look like a MAD-Kangaroo. So meh...

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 11 April 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#556 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

I don't think the legs are necessarily what bugs me (and others) about the design. They are a little big, but not outcry worthy.

What bugs me about the design is there's no influence from the Marauder, which was one of the two mechs that inspired the Timberwolf.

The Marauder has a very lanky and enlongated look to its arms and legs, which produces a very pronounced forward hunch to its torso and center of gravity. This gives it a very graceful yet strong appearance when it's walking/running.

The Timberwolf here doesn't have that graceful Marauder-esche look to it, and simply looks more like a Catapult with Cataphract legs.

But hey, at least it isn't like the MW3 Mad Cat, which (imo) is the worst interpretation of that design.

#557 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Man, that is one chubby Mad Cat.

#558 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostAresye, on 11 April 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I don't think the legs are necessarily what bugs me (and others) about the design. They are a little big, but not outcry worthy.

What bugs me about the design is there's no influence from the Marauder, which was one of the two mechs that inspired the Timberwolf.

The Marauder has a very lanky and enlongated look to its arms and legs, which produces a very pronounced forward hunch to its torso and center of gravity. This gives it a very graceful yet strong appearance when it's walking/running.

The Timberwolf here doesn't have that graceful Marauder-esche look to it, and simply looks more like a Catapult with Cataphract legs.

But hey, at least it isn't like the MW3 Mad Cat, which (imo) is the worst interpretation of that design.

it depends on which Marauder we're talking about:

Posted Image

Actually, both arms and legs strongly resemble Shimmering Sword's rendition of Marauder (for me - the best one in existence), while torso is similar to MWO Catapult's (again - best one ever)

So for me, MWO Mad Cat is pretty much spot on (well, maybe it could use some leg scaling and minor tweaks)

Edited by ssm, 11 April 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#559 C12AZyED

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

but in all seriousness, they should use the mad cat mk4 design really :

https://www.google.c...80%3B696%3B1024

#560 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 11 April 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

I remember the old days as they published the new Centurion concept art, some years ago. The reaction was very similar. Nobody liked it and almost the whole community grumbled about the new Centurion design (me too :) ).
Meanwhile, everyone has got used to the new design.

I'm sure that we'll get used to the new Timber Wolf design, but i must confess ... That will be hard for me! :blink:

I saw the MWO version 1st, and thought it was neat looking. Then I saw the Tro book design and nearly cried at how horrible it looked. PGI has done an amazing job on these redesigns. Their coding department could use some help (a lot really, but coding is a pain in the neck), but their art crew is made of gold and diamonds.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users