Clan Long Range Missiles: How They Should Work (Imo)

Balance BattleMech Gameplay Metagame

66 replies to this topic

#61 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Serious troll?

#62 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 15 April 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

No, hitscan is light speed, where you aim is where you hit.

These bursts would still be projectiles (likely faster) that you would have to lead. There is a difference. Making them hitscan would simply be making them heavy lasers. Despite what some people say, that's not what I want.

Hmm true, might have used the term incorrectly. Direction would change 'projectile' path in midflight, even though you could have damage traveling along that path at less than light speed.
I wonder how the engine handles multiple projectiles, if that would be another thing they break hit dection with.... propably

#63 WhoDidTheElf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 April 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

not sure is serious or troll...........

Not sure if response or troll...

#64 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I agree with most of what you said in your OP, Bishop. I disagree with reducing the Clan LRM ammo count. I understand your rationale, but I think a lower ammo count for them without increasing something else would kill their fun factor. I think keeping them from using indirect fire and locking onto the targets of others are sufficient tradeoffs for their lower weight and damage-scaled minimum range (if that's what the devs decide to go with).

Speaking of BattleTech game developers, I recall seeing a thread at the BattleTech boards where a myth was debunked. A player was wondering if the rumor that Clan LRMs were originally written in an early draft of the Clan weapon rules as having a minimum range of 120 meters, or 4 hexes was true. That's actually not true, according to then-Lead Developer Herb Beas (http://bg.battletech...p?topic=11251.0)

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 15 April 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

I agree with most of what you said in your OP, Bishop. I disagree with reducing the Clan LRM ammo count. I understand your rationale, but I think a lower ammo count for them without increasing something else would kill their fun factor. I think keeping them from using indirect fire and locking onto the targets of others are sufficient tradeoffs for their lower weight and damage-scaled minimum range (if that's what the devs decide to go with).

Speaking of BattleTech game developers, I recall seeing a thread at the BattleTech boards where a myth was debunked. A player was wondering if the rumor that Clan LRMs were originally written in an early draft of the Clan weapon rules as having a minimum range of 120 meters, or 4 hexes was true. That's actually not true, according to then-Lead Developer Herb Beas (http://bg.battletech...p?topic=11251.0)

I wish the PGI Devs had listened to Herb for a number of things. Like the tallest mech being 14 meters...... and guess what...it wasn't the Atlas (which is actually supposed to be about 12-12.5)

#66 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostDaekar, on 14 April 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

Dude, they're trying to have a serious conversation here, and you popping up to say, "Nope, you can't balance it, Clans will either suck or be OP... and people who like lore are losers!" is not helping. If you have suggestions for game mechanics relevant to making CLRMs balanced and flavorful, by all means please share. If you don't, kindly refrain from pressing the 'reply' button.
So what, I can only agree or be silent?
Wow dat logic, dude...

Ok I will quote devs - IS THAT CONSTRUCTIVE ENOUGH FOR YOU?

The fact that the Clan version of LRM-20s have no minimum range is a huge problem. What you effectively now have is a Streak SRM-20 available to you if we cut minimum range to 0. The fact that this weapon weighs half as much and takes up 1 less slot makes this a significantly over powered system.
The following will probably be applied to this weapon system:
  • Base heat increase to [7]
  • Minimum range stays at 180m but LRMs can be fired. The damage ramps from 0 to 1.1 in an exponential curve. i.e. Damage is minimal in the [0]-[100]m range and increases to full damage between [101] and [180]m ranges.
  • Possible adjustment to [7] tons.
Now the weapon system still keeps it “no-minimum” range property and it still keeps a weight reduction and generates a little more heat. Again, this will translate into better piloting skills, fire timing and heat management to take full advantage of the Clan LRM-20.

These are reasonable balance ideas. Proposed in this thread - are not.

LRM can not be not support weapons. Either they will be useless because of (s)srms and other direct fire weapons, or OP and then other weapons will be useless.

Try to read posts instead of just blindly defending your precious lore and use some logic. Dude.

#67 Nanoswimz

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

One word: ECM

And all CLRM boats will be useless, like useless lrm in competive, not pugstomp matches.

Also, ghost heat kills really powefull clan ability - insane alpha buiilds, like 6ppc stalker.

Edited by Nanoswimz, 16 April 2014 - 08:13 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users