128 replies to this topic

#101 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

I'm liking mine ok dual AMS 5 ML AC10. The thing that really kills the T-bolts compared to the other 65 tonners is those 2 useless hand actuators. If I could pull them out I'd be able to get another DHS or 2.

#102 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 24 April 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

All long range weps. Are you seeing a lot of success with this build?
I love Summoners so of course this build appeals to the Galaxy Commander in me :P

Quite a bit, actually. The ERPPC and AC5 work at all ranges and still synergize quite well , and the LRM is for random trolling or extra oomph when the target is clearly visible.

Edited by Zerberus, 25 April 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#103 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

If you dont like it you still got a free mechbay. Beggars cant be choosers.

#104 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostZerberus, on 25 April 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

Quite a bit, actually. The ERPPC and AC5 work at all ranges and still synergize quite well , and the LRM is for random trolling or extra oomph when the target is clearly visible.

You know, as much as I read about the synergy of the ERPPC/AC5 "meta" I've never used it at all! Thanks for letting me in on the info :D
I'm interested in giving the jumpless-Summoner a run!

#105 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

View Postmad kat, on 25 April 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

Yes actually although i'm presently running mine with the standard 260 engine (don't need the speed as much right as the primary weapons are the lrm 20) and with 4-5 tons of LRM ammo i just let loose with the LRM20 using the TAG in the right arm to improve accuracy then when an enemy mech closes in too much i use the 5 medium lasers to defend myself and the std gives you enough ability to torso twist left and let your right side take the pounding without harming your firepower too much.

How mine is currently configured:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f169111290a790

The one thing i have noted is this mech is as easy to shoot as an awesome or Atlas and it feels very sluggish. Even with the stock engine its as fast as my firebrand but that is much more maneuverable (that is elited mind). Therefore the torso twist upgrade and hard brake and speed burst or whatever it's called is a must.

So keep it at range, use an XL if you've got one spare and load up on lrms, If you want and have the space bung two LL in the right torso and a TAG in the right arm and i find its the best loadout for this mech.

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0e0569891e1db2

Wow and max armor as well! This beast looks like it can take on an Atlas on its own! Looking forward to both piloting one of these as well as battling one :D

#106 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

I have to admit, this mech sucked till I removed my head from my bum and put the RIGHT build on it.... See below.

http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=6483.0

#107 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

I like a 2 AC5, 6 ML with a STD250 engine and 3-5 tons (I think) of AC5 ammo with 15 DHS. Not a great 'mech, but interesting.

If I had other Thunderbolts and I was going to use it seriously, I'd take out the Endo-Steel and probably swap the STD250 for an XL300 or something.

Almost got me to buy the other Tbolt chassis so I could master them but I figure I will buy some Shadowhawks instead. I need more mediums more than I need heavies, and Streak Hawks are cute.

Edited by Pale Jackal, 29 April 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#108 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

@Creovex: You don't need two tons of mg ammo.

#109 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

2 x Large Pulse Laser, 2 x Medium Laser, LBX10

#110 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 29 April 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

@Creovex: You don't need two tons of mg ammo.

Depends on how you play. But like I said, strip it for AMS ammo or more armor, your call. I use almost 3k MG ammo on average, its a constant on thing, just like a tag for me.

View PostPale Jackal, on 29 April 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

If I had other Thunderbolts and I was going to use it seriously, I'd take out the Endo-Steel and probably swap the STD250 for an XL300 or something.

Bad mech for an XL. Spreading the engine over this "already wide" torso sections = easy kill. STD is key for mechs with so much surface area on their side torsos.

Edited by Creovex, 29 April 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#111 mwolf

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

I like this mech, I changed the engine, made 1x ppc ,3 x Large Lasers 1 x ams OK for me, since I am a beginner it come as a great gift :P
Thank you :ph34r:

Edited by mwolf, 30 April 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#112 Black Templar

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

moved :P

#113 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks again to the folks who shared their builds and strategies -- great info from the experienced :)

I finally got around to piloting this thing for the Double XP Weekend -- perfect time to skill up!

View PostDracol, on 22 April 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

Good point.... My 2xPPC and ER Large laser build could use dual AMS. But I don't really drive that one much since I got double basics unlocked.

I really like my Phoenix T-bolt. Dual LRM 10 with artemis, Large laser, 2x Med Laser, and Tag, Top speed over 70 kph. Since the 9S only has one 10 tube missile rack, I just can't bring myself to run it with a comparable build. The full 20 artemis launch at 250 meters is what really works for me on the Phoenix build.

Now this a cool build and the next one I intend to try out with a minor change here or there. But I want to try this build out on the 9S because I think it'll rock even more with JJ :D

View PostNgamok, on 22 April 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

This is the build I started out with and OMG it's FUN!! I can't wait for the Summoner to be released!! When piloted correctly I was racking up some good kills and the LB-10X was surprsingly powerful when used for what it is -- a frikkin giant shotgun! A pleasant surprise B)

View PostFupDup, on 22 April 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

While I'm at it, what I'd like to see for Thuds is an increase in max twist range by ~10 degrees so that they can be better at defensive twisting than other heavies. It also lets you load more armor from your back to your front for slightly more durability.

I was piloting this in River City and the twist wasn't as good as a Hunchback but I definitely didn't feel constricted.

View Posttayhimself, on 23 April 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Light mechs are a problem in the TDR if you don't have a big engine, at least I assume until you have all the elite efficiencies. 300 is a sweet spot for both the XL and STD.......
5SS http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99b9cb46751ed70
9SE http://mwo.smurfy-ne...562c1b6babe0514
9SE alternate http://mwo.smurfy-ne...816a1648be3f6ed

I now see what you mean about the need for a BIG engine in this thing: with anything smaller than 285 it feels like you're driving a large, completely loaded down dump truck :wacko:

I like your builds a lot but have to ask: what makes you prefer LL over PPCs/erPPCs?

View PostJun Watarase, on 23 April 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

The problem is there is no reason to use it for PPC sniping when you can use a JJ mech to do the job. like a victor or highlander.

I've never tried the 'pop-tart' strategy. Isn't it difficult to hit your target with all that cross-hair jiggle?

View PostDeathlike, on 23 April 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

I remember that, but not because of the high torso mounts. 2 PPCs+5med lasers gets you everywhere. :huh:
Mini-Awesome, except more awesome than the Awesome.

I've think just decided on my 3rd TDR build. Thanks :D
Are you still using it and how is it faring? Good for the KDR?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion I've come to believe that the Thunderbolt, though not good at the 'meta' is a good Battlemech, mainly because they're so frikkin durable. Even with XL engines they last, especially when piloted intelligently. It takes four blasts from an AC20 to the CT to take a Thunderbolt down! (Or three followed up by a few lucky crit hits from a smaller weps)

And because of the Thunderbolts similarities to the Clan Summoner I've got a strong feeling that Summoners will be tearing a lot of people up when it arrives! B)

#114 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

STD275, twin AMS, pair of high PPCs, trip MLs, pair of MGs. I really like mine, especially those high PPC mounts.

As far as LLs vs PPCs, I find that it can be very situational for me. I actually tend to prefer the LLs, because of their instant shot travel time. You do have to keep your shot on target for a full second to get the most out of them, but you don't have the risk of your target moving out from under your crosshairs as your shot travels. But especially in pairs, I find that it is very easy to pinpoint a damaged section on a mech and put enough of the beam into it to be deadly.

#115 Stormravin

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

People complain about an XL in the TDR. It really is not bad, as long as your run at least a 300XL (82.2 kph). Speed = Life. I run one and I very rarely get killed by it. I have to say that at this moment, this is my favorite mech to play.

I posted this build on the other TDR-9S thread but thought I might throw it here too:

TDR-9S Buzzsaw

300 XL Engine (74.8kph - 82.2 kph speed tweak)
Endo-Steel Structure
Double Heat Sinks
4.87 DPS
35 Firepower

2 Ac/2 (5 Tons Ammo)
1 LRM 10 (2 Tons Ammo)
4 Medium Lasers (2 in each torso)
16 Double Heat Sinks (6 extra)

I usually do anywhere from 400-700 damage a round and get 1-4 kills. My Kill/Death ratio is running just under 2 and that is with the early days of screwing with different builds. I usually soften them up with LRMs and then move in for the kill. I also usually use the AC/2s shot together (think faster AC/5), but will switch over to chain fire to give the light mechs hell. I have very rarely (twice out of over a hundred games) run out of AC/2 Ammo.

#116 Warblast

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I haven't had the chance to test this build out very much yet, but here's a fun one I came up with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f73d5b6742ea088

STD 275
3 LL
3 ML
19 DHS
0 Slots left ;)

This has a 42 damage alpha strike at medium range with only a very minor ghost heat penalty. The 19 DHS cool things off between shots quite quickly while you twist to use the left arm as a shield. Weapons are balanced in case you lose a ST so you can continue fighting.

#117 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

I have the same feeling about it as all the t-bolts its not a good mech its not a bad mech its just an ok mech,

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0e46313881d953f what i ran

Edited by Roachbugg, 14 May 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#118 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

I drive it like every mech I struggle to find a good build - 4 Large Lasers and 18 DHS.

#119 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

View Post627, on 14 May 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

I drive it like every mech I struggle to find a good build - 4 Large Lasers and 18 DHS.

Words to live by.

#120 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

uhhhh post-perks this thing is INTENSE. put 3erppcs in the one torso and that's it.

wrecks ******* up and down the street.

modules and mastery turn it into a godking of all ranges

definitely rivals the 5ss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users