• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 22 April 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

You didn't put on either endo-steel or the 2nd AMS. Try this - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a9a6b24a5adf306 - same thing except that the endo-steel frees up enough tonnage for a ST300 engine & a 2nd AMS.

Yes, I know, go read my post again.

#42 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

It's pretty good, stock, which is unusual. I tossed in Endosteel and the second AMS, flip-flopped a flamer and ML, tossed the CASEs (moved ammo to the legs), added a Streak and a Beagle, and called it good. I'm currently running an XL, which makes for a very zippy Heavy, but once I grind out Speed Tweak, I'll put in a 295 Std engine for more longevity.

Really fun mech.

#43 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

piloting this thing unleveled was like taxiing a 747 so i got smoked a LOT at first, but when i got the speed tweak (i bought and leveled 2 more) this baby started to open up and i'm getting MUCH better results.

i only use XLs in all my other mechs, but the TDR screams STD engine and because of that can absorb a TON of damage like it's ancient historical namesake - the A-10 Thunderbolt. used to use PPCs but prefer the extra speed instead

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79eb20f37c0e870

#44 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Blah IMO, already had the 5ss but they all run too hot.

#45 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thunderbolts are for people that want to artificially handicap themselves in something that is old school BT cool only to kick the asses of those people that scoff at what they're driving. "When you want to insert a nail into a piece of wood, don't do anything fancy or glamorous. Just take the damn hammer and hit the son of a ***** until it's in!" (Gary Busey from "Soldier")

Edited by Trauglodyte, 22 April 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#46 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 22 April 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Yes, I know, go read my post again.

My bad. (though I think that I initially quoted you b4 your edit - just didn't finish my post until afterwards - still should have caught it after I posted)

#47 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Speaking of this Mech. My Alt Anton won 5 matchs Sunday and I Still don't have my 9S? What gives? Anyone else run into this?

#48 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

PPC, dual AC/5 and Medium lasers.

Mastered, stripped and named "Empty"

#49 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's a 'Mech that needs a big engine to pull well but is bad for XLs because of it's big side torsos. . .

On the bright side it's not an assault, so it can actually move over terrain and get good speeds out of sub 300 rated engines.
All and all I like it. It's speed and twist range make it a better 'Mech for me than the Battllemaster. It's a bit big. . . I do better in my Jag. . . But it's a fine 'Mech.

View PostTrauglodyte, on 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Thunderbolts are for people that want to artificially handicap themselves in something that is old school BT cool only to kick the asses of those people that scoff at what they're driving. "When you want to insert a nail into a piece of wood, don't do anything fancy or glamorous. Just take the damn hammer and hit the son of a ***** until it's in!" (Gary Busey from "Soldier")

Heh. Yeah, a bit.

On an interesting stats note, after running the same number of battles in the TDR-5S and TDR-9S I've noticed that my damage in each 'Mech is about the same, I have the same number of kills in each 'Mech . . . but the 9S has a 45% better k/d ratio.

That LRM 15 side torso gets me killed. A lot.

#50 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

The 5S doesn't exist in my world because the missile launcher is on the wrong side from the original art work.

#51 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Speaking of this Mech. My Alt Anton won 5 matchs Sunday and I Still don't have my 9S? What gives? Anyone else run into this?

You need to "log in" to the challenge page with that account. That's the way to reclaim it.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

You need to "log in" to the challenge page with that account. That's the way to reclaim it.

Ah... i swing at that. Thanks!

#53 Anton Shiningstar

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

No Joy! :angry:

#54 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Completely indifferent to it, I played a few matches in mine..not amazing, not terrible (I haven't changed it's loadout yet).
I don't have a better replacement for the mech bay yet so I'll hold onto it until I get the urge to experiment..glad for a free mech anyway.

#55 DelRico

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 21 April 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Opinions!

Do you love it? Hate it?
Already have a favorite build?

Just got mine but haven't used it yet and would like to read about your experiences with our newest guest, the TDR-9S :ph34r:

Well I was not impressed with the thunderbolt, but now that one is in my fav list :angry:

I use dual ER PPC, 3 med in torso, one in arm, dual AMS and a LRM5...

Its a little harder on the heat but its really fun to play

#56 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostAnton Shiningstar, on 22 April 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

No Joy! :angry:

Does it actually say that it's completed in your Challenge history?

If it does and you still don't have your t-bowl after 24 hours or so, try contacting support.

In the mean time, if you own other t-bowls already, check your mechbay carefully. The 9S is the one without any kind of label over the Configure button when browsing Owned mechs in the Mechlab.

#57 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thanks very much for the info, shared experience and builds! Wow some great info here

To everyone who sold theirs: Yup agreed -- free Cbills is always nice :angry: b

View PostDeathlike, on 22 April 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Well, to be frank, the Thunderbolt-9S has the torso twist reduction, which indirectly does make it slower than the Cataphract.
Even then, it's torso pitch is actually a bigger problem.. despite being the same as a Cataphract. The Phract doesn't really need it as much, but the Tbolt... it's a sad design.

View Posttayhimself, on 22 April 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

The 5SS and 9SE do as well. Not sure about the 5S as I didn't get it since it was so similar to the 9S. Here's how I run my 9S currently, but I'll switch to a smaller STD once it's been elited. I agree with Bishop that without a big engine, it feels slow as molasses. Not sure what it is.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba98e07e8665956
I also run it with dual AC/5 and a single LL, but the arm mounts are too low for long range engagement. Better to use the high shoulder mounts for the ranged weapons.

Slow Torso Twist as well as limited TT range of motion is a serious handicap. I've always thought mechs with a crazy TT rotation range are some of the best to pilot - and ones with limited twist range being death traps.
And if it can't pitch well, I guess you're screwed if I light mech gets up to hugging range with you in this, right?

Tay, nice build! Just curious -- With the AC5's better (faster) recycle time, why would you want to use an AC10?

View PostCurccu, on 22 April 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

It is a Thunderbolt...

...so it stays in my mechbay with 3 other friends till I'm so poor that I have to sell it for mechbay, but I'm _never_ going to play a single game with them.

What mechs are the three friends?

View PostKhobai, on 22 April 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

I dunno. Brawling is pretty fail IMO. When everyone else is using ERLL, PPC, and AC5s.
I use ERLLs/PPCs, Streaks, and AC5s/AC10 in mine.

I have ask... how do you group that crazy weapons mix?? I don't really like having more than 3 weapon system types.

View PostDracol, on 22 April 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

Good point.... My 2xPPC and ER Large laser build could use dual AMS. But I don't really drive that one much since I got double basics unlocked.
I really like my Phoenix T-bolt. Dual LRM 10 with artemis, Large laser, 2x Med Laser, and Tag, Top speed over 70 kph. Since the 9S only has one 10 tube missile rack, I just can't bring myself to run it with a comparable build. The full 20 artemis launch at 250 meters is what really works for me on the Phoenix build.

That sounds like one kick a$s build! It's kinda like you're using the LRMs the way a Hunchback uses the AC20. That's pretty dâmn creative

View PostNapes339, on 22 April 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

And thats where I stand as well. Hardpoints are like a hybrid between a 5S and a 5SS but I already have those mechs and I'm content with their loadouts so it feels like the 9S may be a bit redundant.

If you're like me and the TDR-9S is your first Thunderbolt, what are the other 2 models you'd choose for Mastering and why?

View Postoldradagast, on 22 April 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

I run it with:
- Standard 275, endo, DHS
- 2 PPC's in the right torso for sniping
- 2 machine guns in the left arm
- 2 medium lasers in the left torso
- 1 medium laser in the right torso.
Mix as you wish, but you get a good sniping mech with some limited close in abilities. The other main option is to cut down on the PPC's and go big guns in the left arm with lots of lasers. That gives you nice brawling abilities.

The 2 main things to me are: never run an XL engine since your torsos are large and it negates one of the Thud's abilities - it can endure more punishment than similar tonnage mechs because of hitboxes. Also, I tend to ignore the missile launcher since it is rather small to be a real threat and using it makes my hitbox larger.

Thanks for the good advice. Just from looking at it I was thinking putting an XL engine in TDR-9S is as good an idea as putting an XL in an Awesome or Hunchback
I like your build, but doesn't it run a little hot??

#58 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

I like my 9S- haven't tried it in the field yet but it looks like it will be a good ride! :angry:

#59 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 22 April 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

I run mine with a STD 280, 5 MLs, 1 ERPPC, 1 ASRM6, 2 AMS, 2 tons ams ammo, 2 tons SRM ammo, 16 DHS and almost max armor.

Cool build! I guess you just stick to SRMs until you cool down? Every time I've run energy weapon-based builds I have an overheat-shutdown problem

View PostFiona Marshe, on 22 April 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

Lg laser, 5 md lasers, 2 mg and NARC!
The NARC has been more valuable than an SRM or LRM so far.

Now this is an interesting build! Can you please share some more info and experiences on why the NARC's been more valuable?

View PostNgamok, on 22 April 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

5 ton light Summoner
It has 2 really high mount energy slots where the 5SS only has 1. But the rest of it is like the 5S.

Hah! Another Summoner fan!! Very cool build. Like you said, mini-Summoner minus JJ.
By the way, which clan are you in, Jade Falcon? Since you like Summoners I just assumed... :angry:

View PostEyeOne, on 22 April 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of the TBolts but this one is my favorite so far. I've been running this and while I haven't played a ton of matches in it yet I've enjoyed it. (I know I need endo and a Std 300 but I didn't have one available at the time)

Nice build! How's the heat when you fire off those FIVE medium lasers?? That's gotta be hot

View PostJagdFlanker, on 22 April 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

piloting this thing unleveled was like taxiing a 747 so i got smoked a LOT at first, but when i got the speed tweak (i bought and leveled 2 more) this baby started to open up and i'm getting MUCH better results.

i only use XLs in all my other mechs, but the TDR screams STD engine and because of that can absorb a TON of damage like it's ancient historical namesake - the A-10 Thunderbolt. used to use PPCs but prefer the extra speed instead

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79eb20f37c0e870

Sweet! Love the A10 reference Wow what a build! Are there enough heat sinks though?

View PostTrauglodyte, on 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

lol too funny!! But, what's the handicap? I've been reading that Thunderbolts can take about as much damage as an Atlas before going down :ph34r:

View PostOsric Lancaster, on 22 April 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

It's a 'Mech that needs a big engine to pull well but is bad for XLs because of it's big side torsos. . .
On the bright side it's not an assault, so it can actually move over terrain and get good speeds out of sub 300 rated engines.
All and all I like it. It's speed and twist range make it a better 'Mech for me than the Battllemaster. It's a bit big. . . I do better in my Jag. . . But it's a fine 'Mech.

Heh. Yeah, a bit.

On an interesting stats note, after running the same number of battles in the TDR-5S and TDR-9S I've noticed that my damage in each 'Mech is about the same, I have the same number of kills in each 'Mech . . . but the 9S has a 45% better k/d ratio.
That LRM 15 side torso gets me killed. A lot.

Some other ppl were saying the TDR has a limited torso twist.
And thanks very much for the LRM pod vulnerability info. That is something I will definitely keep in mind when building one out!

View PostEylradjaw, on 22 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Well I was not impressed with the thunderbolt, but now that one is in my fav list
I use dual ER PPC, 3 med in torso, one in arm, dual AMS and a LRM5...
Its a little harder on the heat but its really fun to play

Yea that build is HOT like a Nova Cat Omnimech loadout! But I think you said it right -- if it's not fun to dish out the damage in, then no reason to show up at the battlefied :ph34r:

#60 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

@ HeroForHire, an AC10 is superior to an AC5 in two major ways: first, higher dps (4 compared to 3), and second, more damage per shot (10 compared to 5).

Also, T-bowls work with XLs if you put a 300+ in. You have to twist a lot, and keep moving, and try to spread the damage as much as possible if you want to make it work, but the combination of greater speed and increased firepower is quite potent. Sure it's not as friendly as a Catapult, but it's better than a Jagermech or Stalker or, Heaven forbid, an Atlas for running an XL.

@ Dracol, my experience with the 10-tube launcher on the T-bowl is that if you put an LRM 20 in it works pretty well (similar to a pair of 10s on chain fire, but using only one hardpoint). I ran one with 6 MLs and an LRM20 for a while (I reworked the build recently to add upgrade the lasers and switch to a NARC instead).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users