147 replies to this topic

#141 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostStealth Raptor, on 03 May 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

as someone who is a lord myself and have been somewhat involved in some of the events, yes there are some people that may not be the most corteuous but then again no community is without such. the fact of the matter is the mindset that really allows players to get to top levels of competitive play also tends to make them arrogant/self centered. its the same argument really for politicians lol. Most of the HoL is no different then anyone else - people who enjoy playing the game and playing at a high level. It is why I enjoy playing with them immensely especially as NS is currently in a low activity phase. Do they get carried away saying LORD ______ ggclose? I guess it depends on the person, never bugged me even before becoming one. We really need CW though so we can stop focusing on unit bashing and do more on the field faction bashing :unsure:

That will be nice...

I guess I'm wondering if HoL values how iron sharpens iron...they apply it to actual gameplay skills...why not in regards to personality of their not-members?

#142 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 03 May 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

I think I might have answered a similar point made earlier. Here was my response: I know you don't WANT people to generalize...but that's how humans process information. HoL is a not-team with a not-roster and a few vocal people announce "Lord whatever" and proceed to be jerks to people. They end up speaking for you whether you like it or not. As I said earlier to heim: (I added some bold pertaining to specifically to your question) To define what I mean by elitism, I don't criticize you for being good players and being proud of it. Nor do I questions it's value in giving you challenge...but why use that position "at the top" to shit on people? "But we don't." You DO when you take the HoL role...you DON'T in your personal endeavors (Jaeger's streaming, etc. etc.) IE it seems silly to relegate your trolling to the "safe zone" of playing with top players then become meek and noble once you can conveniently distance yourself from the "bad reputation." PUT THEM TOGETHER. You just acknowledged that there is a "bad reputation" which members of HoL must either avoid or embrace. You see the distinction? Heim - thankfully - said: "HoL means nothing without the community" yet you are also famous for writing people off...or, as you admitted, relishing in people's frustration, etc. Building community and destroying it at the same time. My whole initial question is: why is there in innate "bad reputation" that has developed regarding HoL and why does it seem many members have chosen the "embrace it" route rather than using their position to strengthen the community?

Ah let me put it that way:

I am certainly not the unfriendliest guy and I don't usually "ggclose" people. When Heim said "HoL means nothing without the community" he stated his point of view. Personally, I don't give a damn how HoL affects the community, I just want to play with these players there. At the same time I can't see how HoL can actively the "destroy" the community on a notice-able scale if not even encourage people to become better players. Maybe I am just not as far-sighted as Heim is.

I don't even remotely mind having "bad reputation" like I've stated before I actually enjoy it. It doesn't mean that I go into a match verbally trolling everyone if that's what you mean by "embracing the HoL way".

As for the bad reputation... well I'll be bluntly generalizing too:
Stacked up frustration from getting beaten and beaten again with an occasional "ggclose" tipping the iceberg?

#143 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

i don't mind meta premades but is this thread even on track anymore?

am i doing this right?! :unsure:

#144 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostEglar, on 03 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

I'll be bluntly generalizing too:
Stacked up frustration from getting beaten and beaten again with an occasional "ggclose" tipping the iceberg?

Aw, come on man...I can take losing. I win much more than I lose, I kill much more than I'm killed...and I readily acknowledge that when I play the dream team assembled from best players in the game, I lose. But I'm not some sort of powderkeg of anger from people who beat me. That response was silly and very much like blaming a robbery victim for leaving their doors unlocked.

I don't insinuate that HoL is the curse of MWO...that its community and success rise and fall there. That's dumb...but we all know the internet is full of people who hide behind anonymity to say, do, and be nothing like what they would be if they were accountable for their actions. THAT is destructive...and I feel like HoL has "embraced" the troll when they are in the position to be one of the best things about our community.

Maybe you personally don't care about the community, but you do care about a piece of it. I'm sure if we got to know each other, we'd be friends. Probably that's true for most players and thus we could be logging on each night to a huge group of 10,000 HoL people who post good things (like Kotare's tips on poptarting earlier in this thread, etc). Instead, if someone rages against HoL they are called "one of the horribads" - implying they are one of 'them', therefore insulting more than just the one individual - instead of HoL doing as Kotare did, writing something worthwhile and shrugging off that stupid raging against HoL to provide something constructive...

I think you benefit from good community more than you think. If you reflect on it you'll see it in the people you met and joined in HoL as well as society as a whole outside of gaming...

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 03 May 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

i don't mind meta premades but is this thread even on track anymore?

am i doing this right?! :unsure:

I have no idea...all I know is I should be studying for finals...but I'm an idiot so...

Edited by TygerLily, 03 May 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#145 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 03 May 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have no idea...all I know is I should be studying for finals...but I'm an idiot so...

you're an idiot if you are arguing about the future of this game. :P
go study your finals :unsure:

#146 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostKhan Ignotus Kotare, on 02 May 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostAdiuvo, on 02 May 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

View Postheimdelight, on 02 May 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostEglar, on 03 May 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

So, I really do need to start doing finals studying and hang up my part of this conversation, lol...thank you for entertaining my questions and comments and whatnot. Personally, I think I have better insight about what HoL's about and can try to be less of a judgmental ass about you. I really hope I also provided some insight...that the "others" aren't just raging about you needlessly and qq-ingly...

And the first Stock Mech Monday deal is this Monday at 9:30pm EST...so you are definitely invited and it would be really fun if you guys came!

Edit: Linky link: http://MechForceClassic.enjin.com

Edited by TygerLily, 03 May 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#147 heimdelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostTygerLily, on 03 May 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

My whole initial question is: why is there in innate "bad reputation" that has developed regarding HoL and why does it seem many members have chosen the "embrace it" route rather than using their position to strengthen the community?

We embrace it because, "LORD _________, ggclose" and the bad reputation distracts players from the game, which is what we're all here for. Just because we play a video game, doesn't mean any two individuals has anything in common with each other except for that fact (that they play the same video game). It would be wrong to expect everyone else to do anything other than play the game simply because they want to play the game. Therefore, the social strife that ensues is less important to us (embracing the bad reputation) and it's just another weapon to win with. It's not like we would all become terrible players if we stopped saying, LORD _______, ggclose". People are susceptible to mental attacks such as that, and if they can't focus on getting better themselves to get the win, that is their issue and no one else's.

View PostTygerLily, on 03 May 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I guess I'm wondering if HoL values how iron sharpens iron...they apply it to actual gameplay skills...why not in regards to personality of their not-members?

Like I said, priority is enjoyment of high-skill and competitive gameplay first, social aspect second. Any competitive pilot would wish to hone their own skills first, and whether or not they choose to be social is their choice. Some enjoy being social but don't take it too seriously because they care more about the competition. They are in every community and that's the reality, and everyone is entitled to play the game in whichever way they want.

The infamy of the Lords is largely backed by the skill of the members. Others I have met in MW:O troll much harder, are bigger ********, and could care less about the community but absolutely suck at the game.

I feel as one individual in the greater community, and personally speaking, I see it best that the community take the majority good that comes with the Lords rather than caring about the minority bad. The perpetual debate and contention over this, "who likes the Lords and who doesn't" is a classic "black and white" issue that has obvious logical fallacies when applied to particular instances in relation to the Lords. It's just bad to generalize, period. Removing generalization is the progressive step, not the Lords changing their actions.

Driving that perpetual debate is the community, and there will always be a part of it that continues to fuel the fire, no matter how hard the community tries to police itself from assuming so much about the House of Lords. That mind-game is the hold the House of Lords has on the community, and it's pretty much too late to change that anymore. Once the ball gets rolling, it's very hard to stop it. The community is divided too much in their own ways to come together and defeat something like that.

Edited by heimdelight, 03 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#148 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Losers are going to lose and then QQ. It is ok losers, you didnt win, but you can still come to the forums and cry and whine. I mean what is better ... trying to get better or coming and crying about it to everyone? Maybe the devs will make the game easier so that you can sometimes win?

Bruce Lee said that it is important to lengthen your own line than to try and shorten your opponents. Getting better and improving is better than lowering the bar. I do have to admit, crying about it is easier though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users