• LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

ImortalMechWarrior:Online

#503 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Can we please un-A.I.D.S. this thread and focus on the big picture?

Thanks.

#504 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Thanks.

Why gamers don't have Fortitude anymore?

#505 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostSharpTooth Steiner, on 05 May 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

No actually you named the 3 simplest games. MWO, World of tanks and WAR THunder :)

Its like MWO stole the blueprints for "simple game" from those other two. Too bad they didnt steal the blueprints from EVE or COD. At least they support more then 24 players per map ^_^

Then 90% of MWO playerbase would quit-it'd be too hard.
If they don't understand basic movement, target approach or how even aim properly-how would they cope with EvE level play?

#506 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Discussion degenerated several pages ago, and it's getting worse.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 May 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Why gamers don't have Fortitude anymore?

#507 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 05 May 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Like i said, Players don't have fortitude anymore. Not even on Forums. :)

#508 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 05 May 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

What does that even have to do with this thread? You 3 are the only people spamming with useless posts lol. Well now i am too thanks a lot.

View PostArmandTulsen, on 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Thanks.

Then be quiet? Thanks.

View PostSharpTooth Steiner, on 05 May 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

Meh. I can't see myself playing this very long. I've learned everything there is to know in one day (unless i'm extra clueless) and the objective is too simple... 12 vs 12 over and over again for no good reason. You cannot possibly make a game any simpler than this. I hate simple.

Simple = boring.

World of tanks was released August 10, 2010. Still thats besides the point. There is no learning curve. You play the same stale 12 vs 12 matches, theres nothing that holds your interest after the first day! lol. This game is as simple as it gets. Whether MWO copied world of tanks or vic-versa. It was a bad idea!

SIMPLE = BORING. End of story

Edited by SharpTooth Steiner, 05 May 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#509 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostSharpTooth Steiner, on 05 May 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

World of tanks was released August 10, 2010

MechWarrior has been around just a little longer than that!

#510 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 May 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

MechWarrior has been around just a little longer than that!

Still its nothing to be proud of, its 12 vs 12. The simplest shooter design possible. Ive been playing in 64 player servers since 1942. I mean 2001, Battlefield 1942 lol.

I got bored with this game my very first day. Why is it so bloody simple? What is there to do after you build up a mech? 12 vs 12 again? More c-bills?

This is just the simplest possible video game design ever. At least bump up the number of players. There Is no way they could make this game any simpler.

Edited by SharpTooth Steiner, 05 May 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#511 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 05 May 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Then 90% of MWO playerbase would quit-it'd be too hard.
If they don't understand basic movement, target approach or how even aim properly-how would they cope with EvE level play?

What is there to understand lol. Its like driving a tank. There is no skill involved, its not a thinking mans shooter like its advertised. Just stick together, kill the 12 red squares. And repeat.

#512 Merrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 336 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

What a load of BS this post is.

This is an online FPS game, the core of these games are PUG's. End of discussion. If PGI cant support PUG's then the game will fail,,,which it feels like it is.

To begin, this game was never meant to be an FPS, like all MW games before it was meant to be a tacticle mech simulator. Over time the most vocal has *****/whined/threatend enough to begin changing the very core of the game to make it more like COD: Giant Stompy Robots... This is not a good thing.

As a member of a large (ish) coordinated group i can say we hate 12-0 no matter what side of it we are on. If we win, we feel that it was an unfair waste of our time and likely no fun at all for the poor guys we just steamrolled and if we lose we feel bitter since despite skill and coordination we still couldn't manage to overcome the meta with tactics.

Elo doesn't seem to be taken in to account when the seperate ques are in place and the mm just throws together the first 2 12 mans it finds which is no fun for the orginized player but at the same time the seperation is needed to ensure 12 mans aren't just pug stomping to feel superior since they can't win unless they meta up like everyone else.

The whole system seems to be a catch 22, the purpose of which it to keep the community divided so no one notices that major game features are being ignored to make the game into Mech Assualt Online instead of Mech Warrior Online.

#513 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostSharpTooth Steiner, on 05 May 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

Still its nothing to be proud of, its 12 vs 12. The simplest shooter design possible. Ive been playing in 64 player servers since 1942. I mean 2001, Battlefield 1942 lol.

I got bored with this game my very first day. Why is it so bloody simple? What is there to do after you build up a mech? 12 vs 12 again? More c-bills?

This is just the simplest possible video game design ever. At least bump up the number of players. There Is no way they could make this game any simpler.

Cause war aint hard. Exibit A:
Posted Image

#514 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostSharpTooth Steiner, on 05 May 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

What is there to understand lol. Its like driving a tank.

That's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be a 'mech simulator, not a first-person shooter. This might not be the game you're looking for. Ask yourself: do you prefer games where you can jump around corners like a monkey with a shotgun (CoD) or slide across the hood of a car like T.J. ****** (Battlefield)? If the answer is yes, this may not be the game for you.

Regarding the "big picture" (as in WHY these battles are being fought), that's something called Community Warfare where different factions war against each other for territory, battlemech factories and (sometimes) glory. It's not in the game yet.

Edit: LOL can't write H.o.o.k.e.r

Edited by Triordinant, 05 May 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#515 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 May 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well thats the reason people dont play this game long. This is just like any other fps military style shooter. Only with half the players per game.

View PostTriordinant, on 05 May 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Regarding the "big picture" (as in WHY these battles are being fought), that's something called Community Warfare where different factions war against each other for territory, battlemech factories and (sometimes) glory. It's not in the game yet.

The battle for planets. Ill come back for that. Not the part about being able to select your factions and units... aka phase 1 and phase 2. But ill be back when we are fighting for control of planets.

But the reason i won't be playing MWO very long... like you said. Its not here.

EDIT: If its just 12 vs 12 again. With a flashing map saying you control this planet if you win X amount of matches in a row. Then it wont keep people playing very long either. If they take the simplest way out i would laugh. They really should try to take after EVE online.

2: Prediction: It will feel like grinding all over agin. Grinding for imaginary planets. You wont even notice there is a massive war spanning across planets. You will just be zoned in on your 12 vs 12 matches, grindng a statistical board of planets owned and being fought for. It will b like reading the newspaper after each macth. They should really spend some of the gold skinned mech money on making this game a large scale battle. Why think so small PGI? WHYYYYYY? :)

Edited by SharpTooth Steiner, 05 May 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#516 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostNightfire, on 03 May 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

You are assuming PGI ever intended to be in it for the long haul, that their business plan was for longer than the period of the initial license span. I myself believe they were surprised how much money the MW franchise was bringing in and only extended the license because this well they tapped wasn't yet dry. The current diversification is probably just a change in the demographic revenue stream because the original market was both too slow and also slowing down, a new market to hit and grab before everyone realises the gravy train for what it is and that what they received isn't even a lump of coal.

Then again, I am very bitter and cynical, both with good reason. I honestly believe this train is coming off the rails and I'm still around to watch the wreck. I don't believe PGI will be among those hurt in it though.

LOL. The only thing left to milk will be selling a list of remaining MWO players names to telemarketers. The list would be dubbed "biggest suckers easy sales, they will buy anything". Then the cycle will be complete. :)

#517 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 May 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Mann.. Was more fun when you had the wire and trigger you had to squeeze. You walk up on a wire, look right claymore, look left person. "hmm, think ill be hanging a left" lmao

#518 SharpTooth Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostDozier, on 05 May 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Mann.. Was more fun when you had the wire and trigger you had to squeeze. You walk up on a wire, look right claymore, look left person. "hmm, think ill be hanging a left" lmao

Good one Dozier! lol

#519 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

To begin, this game was never meant to be an FPS, like all MW games before it was meant to be a tacticle mech simulator. Over time the most vocal has *****/whined/threatend enough to begin changing the very core of the game to make it more like COD: Giant Stompy Robots... This is not a good thing.

Well the problem is its a COD fest the moment they allowed weapons to have pinpoint accuracy. People just kept complaining that no pinpoint accuracy = no skills involved, which is silly because most FPS games have a cone of fire mechanism to prevent 360 degree no scope headshots across the map.

Which is what we have now with poptarts. There is no downside to poptarting, so people use it to popoff instant 30-40 pinpoint damage alphas before dropping down behind cover. This is an abomination of battletech itself, there are serious downsides to jumping so you arent supposed to use it all the time while shooting.

A simulator isnt supposed to be walking around and then shooting the highest damage alpha you can, unfortunately thats what MWO largely is because of how simple the mechanics are. And the non-working hit registration just makes it worse because you cant even do damage accurately.

#520 Running Scared

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Ok, I want to offer up my 2 cents on this game now, and rather then create a new thread, i'll just post it here instead because I don't care to draw attention to myself by doing so. Maybe people will see this, maybe not. This is my review of this game after 3 weeks of play, and 150 matchs.

Looks like an MMO:
Let's start with the title. Mechwarrior Online. Two things can be drawn from this. Battle mechs, and Massively Multiplayer. The way the title, and website is constructed, gives me at least, the impression this is a massively multiplayer title. This impression is further bolstered by the descriptions of factions within the game. All the screenshots and media would suggest this is a complex title with depth.

These impressions are "corrected" immediately upon actually playing the game.
- No chat lobby. Even a game like diablo 2 had a chat lobby. I have seen little in the way of ingame player interaction outside of a match besides a friend list and instant messages.
- 12 player teams.
- Set piece maps, which granted is advertised, but you'd think there would be something tying them together somehow. This is a game that screams "Needs persistent world"
- Upon further examination, the factions are virtually non existent.

Obviously, first impressions were incorrect.

What about graphics?
The graphics in this game are excellent, and the end user does have some customization options via the user.cfg file. The UI isn't the worst thing in the world, and the controls are functional and make sense. The game looks and feels great.

Gameplay?
The gameplay is a mixed bag. The mech's are, more or less, everything i would expect from a mechwarrior game. They look, handle, and customize generally how i would expect as someone with misty eyed nostalgia of the original mechwarrior titles. The mech's,in a word, are fantastic in my opinion, and using them, in all their forms is lots of fun.

However....... there are glaring issues that start to become obvious, and the best way to describe it, is by metaphor. The metaphor i would give you is this:

Picture in your minds eye, a class based team deathmatch game in a WW2 era flavor where players are allowed to choose from set classes. Support, Infantry, Heavy gunner, Grenadier, and the majority, consistantly choose to be a heavy gunner with an MG42 machine gun with the accuracy of an infantry rifle. Bad metaphor maybe?

In other words, I can see why the developers were trying for this 3/3/3/3 match making. I see lots of complaints about the balance of mech's, but the mech's aren't the problem. It's the number of certain classes of mechs that are fielded in each and every game I have played. From my view, the cumulative amount of armor and weaponry fielded in any given match raises the bar for the minimum standard of effectiveness.

The classes of mechs in this game would indicate a combined arms approach in gameplay. However, since what is allowed to be in play is virtually unlimited, its silly to expect the players to limit themselves to be pigeonholed into specific roles that combined arms gameplay would bring. Rather, they gravitiate for the most effective mechs and weaponry. By my guessitiimate, half the weapons and mechs in this game could be removed and it would not effect the current gameplay in the slightest, simply because they are not effective to the current minimum standard, so nobody uses them.

Future Outlook?
What I have seen in these last 3 weeks does not inspire confidence.

- There's too many obvious empty features where great things were planned, but did not ever come into fruition. Factions are the primary example, and on that note, I think the game developers here are missing their mark wide. Player interaction is what keeps people in games for the long term. Fleshing out factions and factional warfare, and emphasizing that would probably go far for retention because gives the player a higher calling then just upping their kill count or grinding out more C bills or xp. The developers have access to a very rich franchise, and they are not making the most of it by any stretch of the imagination.

- The handling of the 3/3/3/3 also does not inspire confidence. I don't know how long this has been in development, but I have the impression it's been on the burner for awhile.

- Tournaments beta? Really? What i see here is a continuation of an obvious trend looking at the effort gone into the number of new mechs introduced in the game in its current forum and less effort being spent on the franchise and things not death match related in general. What's more, all indications are that this upcoming "Clan invasion", will be nothing more then new mechs and with faction icons as window dressing. The gameplay will remain unchanged. That may be fine for some, but if I wanted to play a tournament death match game, there are plenty of other titles to choose from.

Bottom line:
I hate saying it, but a fair reflection of this game would be better served with a name change to:

Mechwarrior Battlefield.

That's all it really is, its a Battlefield game. If i was to classify this game, i would put it in the same category has Battlefield, Team fortress 2, or Counterstrike. With the only difference being customizable mechs, and rocket jumping in the form of jump jets and gause/ppc's . Is it a good game? Yes its a good game, but it's not a great game.

I ithink this game will continue to occupy space on my hard drive, but it will be one that I don't see myself playing more then seldomly. I'll never consider this game anything more then a team deathmatch title unless the dev's do something drastically different, and I most certainly won't give them any more money until then. Lastly, i wish to give a wistful sigh for the want of a modern remake of the original Mechwarrior games. This isn't the droid i was looking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users