536 replies to this topic

#521 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 06 May 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Well the problem is its a COD fest the moment they allowed weapons to have pinpoint accuracy. People just kept complaining that no pinpoint accuracy = no skills involved, which is silly because most FPS games have a cone of fire mechanism to prevent 360 degree no scope headshots across the map.

Which is what we have now with poptarts. There is no downside to poptarting, so people use it to popoff instant 30-40 pinpoint damage alphas before dropping down behind cover. This is an abomination of battletech itself, there are serious downsides to jumping so you arent supposed to use it all the time while shooting.

A simulator isnt supposed to be walking around and then shooting the highest damage alpha you can, unfortunately thats what MWO largely is because of how simple the mechanics are. And the non-working hit registration just makes it worse because you cant even do damage accurately.

This thread began by complaining about groups. Now it's complaining about the meta created by the game mechanics PGI coded.

I smell improvement. :P

#522 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 06 May 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Well the problem is its a COD fest the moment they allowed weapons to have pinpoint accuracy. People just kept complaining that no pinpoint accuracy = no skills involved, which is silly because most FPS games have a cone of fire mechanism to prevent 360 degree no scope headshots across the map.
I remember reading these post Jun, I shock my head and laughed, at the supposed Skillz gamers claim to have. Many never fired a weapon for real.
Then I recently discussed Military GPS guidance and how accurate it is today. Which I discovered
is accurate within +5.5M... Meters not Milimeters, not Centimeters...Meters. :ph34r: Some how Gamers have better skillz than GPS tracking! :P

#523 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 May 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

I remember reading these post Jun, I shock my head and laughed, at the supposed Skillz gamers claim to have. Many never fired a weapon for real.
Then I recently discussed Military GPS guidance and how accurate it is today. Which I discovered
is accurate within +5.5M... Meters not Milimeters, not Centimeters...Meters. :rolleyes: Some how Gamers have better skillz than GPS tracking! :ph34r:

Well I don't know about GPS guidance systems, but years ago I maxed the score out half way through the Buzz Light Year ride at Disney. :P

#524 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I believe a lot of the problem stems from the Meta and the way the game plays or forces one to use it. True Battletech fans were left behind a long time ago. Instead of being able to launch on to a planet and help with the assault, we are instead led down an entirely different road where the game has become an OBA (not MOBA), just an Online Battle Arena, where Originally the game was intended to be at the very least MMO'esque.

Now in these 12 vs. 12 matches, instead of being able to play as your favorite mech. You are instead forced to load dual PPC's and an AC/5 onto your Victor in order to compete. If you stick with a canon build, you will lose, and not a small loss either, a crushing defeat that will make many nostalgic players run away.

The attitudes of many of the players also drives the meta. The whole attitude of "I Meta, but I do it right. You can throw whatever you want onto a mech, but unless you understand how to play the Meta, you're just a noob." I've seen this repeatedly since I returned to the game. In the NGNG streams and splashed all over the forums. This attitude does FAR more damage than many even realize, let alone admit to.

In my opinion, I do believe that PGI is doing right with promoting Stock Chasis drops, but they need to bring it from behind the pay wall of Premium Matches and create a drop class for it. Make it a simple check box when you search for a match that only opens up when your mech is running a stock configuration. This won't stop players from gravitating toward the most overpowered stock mechs though, but it will give newer players, and old time vets a place to just let their hair down and have some stompy mech action.

This would be a great feature to add to the game until CW finds its way to the game. Yes, I'm still hopeful it will eventually be added.

#525 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostRonyn, on 08 May 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

I believe a lot of the problem stems from the Meta and the way the game plays or forces one to use it. True Battletech fans were left behind a long time ago. Instead of being able to launch on to a planet and help with the assault, we are instead led down an entirely different road where the game has become an OBA (not MOBA), just an Online Battle Arena, where Originally the game was intended to be at the very least MMO'esque.

Now in these 12 vs. 12 matches, instead of being able to play as your favorite mech. You are instead forced to load dual PPC's and an AC/5 onto your Victor in order to compete. If you stick with a canon build, you will lose, and not a small loss either, a crushing defeat that will make many nostalgic players run away.

The attitudes of many of the players also drives the meta. The whole attitude of "I Meta, but I do it right. You can throw whatever you want onto a mech, but unless you understand how to play the Meta, you're just a noob." I've seen this repeatedly since I returned to the game. In the NGNG streams and splashed all over the forums. This attitude does FAR more damage than many even realize, let alone admit to.

In my opinion, I do believe that PGI is doing right with promoting Stock Chasis drops, but they need to bring it from behind the pay wall of Premium Matches and create a drop class for it. Make it a simple check box when you search for a match that only opens up when your mech is running a stock configuration. This won't stop players from gravitating toward the most overpowered stock mechs though, but it will give newer players, and old time vets a place to just let their hair down and have some stompy mech action.

This would be a great feature to add to the game until CW finds its way to the game. Yes, I'm still hopeful it will eventually be added.

Yeah...I'm actually considering a hiatus until they give me a reason to play...every time I've considered sitting down while the sun was still up in the past week...I've gone outside to either shoot archery or work in the garden instead. Even beer and premades held no power over me. Such nostalgia. Much sadness. Wow.

#526 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Remember they are promoting a fan started Stock Chassis drop. :P
As I like to say about my own naming conventions... "Nothing if not unoriginal!"

View PostGhost Badger, on 08 May 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Yeah...I'm actually considering a hiatus until they give me a reason to play...every time I've considered sitting down while the sun was still up in the past week...I've gone outside to either shoot archery or work in the garden instead. Even beer and premades held no power over me. Such nostalgia. Much sadness. Wow.

You walked away from Beer!

Heathen!

#527 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 May 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Remember they are promoting a fan started Stock Chassis drop. :P
As I like to say about my own naming conventions... "Nothing if not unoriginal!"

You walked away from Beer!

Heathen!

Nah...there's a good reason for that. There are rules. Shoot your bow/gun...THEN drink. Changing up the order or doing both at the same time only results in tears...unless it's all digital :ph34r:

Edited by Ghost Badger, 08 May 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#528 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 08 May 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

I took a break from November all the way to the beginning of April this year. When I returned, I expected the Meta to have gotten better, instead it has become the driving force behind most games.

#529 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 08 May 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Nah...there's a good reason for that. There are rules. Shoot your bow/gun...THEN drink. Changing up the order or doing both at the same time only results in tears...unless it's all digital :P

With proper training and a regiment of grunting and being called a slacking pile of Worm Excriment, and you can learn how to drink and shoot Simo.
Posted Image
Oh Rah!

#530 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 May 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

With proper training and a regiment of grunting and being called a slacking pile of Worm Excriment, and you can learn how to drink and shoot Simo.
Posted Image
Oh Rah!

OOh Rah! Indeed

My beloved Corps taught me many things.

How to Drink and walk
How to Drink and talk
How to drink and hump a 5 mile course
How to drink and Run
How to drink and shoot
How to Drink and Drink...

so you best be damned sure i took those important lessons into how to Drink and Mech

Which coincidentally is about the only fun way to play these days.

Disclaimer it has been said that I may have focused on the wrong lessons and or many of these lessons were not the intended goals of the Marine Corps, but hell what do they know?

Edited by Agent of Change, 08 May 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#531 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

OOh Rah! Indeed

My beloved Corps taught me many things.

How to Drink and walk
How to Drink and talk
How to drink and hump a 5 mile course
How to drink and Run
How to drink and shoot
How to Drink and Drink...

so you best be damned sure i took those important lessons into how to Drink and Mech

Which coincidentally is about the only fun way to play these days.

Disclaimer it has been said that I may have focused on the wrong lessons and or many of these lessons were not the intended goals of the Marine Corps, but hell what do they know?
They know how to drink, F***, and Kill.(just not always in this order!)

One night After 2 Bottles of Captain Q, I found that half a fried chicken makes a good Bludgeoning weapon against Marines from 1/9! I also found out how fast you can be thrown out of a Deuce n a half after kicking a Sgt Maj in the danglies! :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Good times :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 08 May 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#532 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostMerrick, on 05 May 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

To begin, this game was never meant to be an FPS, like all MW games before it was meant to be a tacticle mech simulator. Over time the most vocal has *****/whined/threatend enough to begin changing the very core of the game to make it more like COD: Giant Stompy Robots... This is not a good thing.

The maps arent designed with a tactical thought process around them. If they were, there would more cover and they would be bigger.

Also, weapons arent designed with any type of tactical thought process either. If it was, there would be clear advantages with brawling weapons compared to long range weapons.

#533 Athomahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 May 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I don't know many stores that will implement a customer suggested change. Do you?

Depends on if the change is a good idea, doesnt it?

#534 Merrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 336 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 08 May 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

The maps arent designed with a tactical thought process around them. If they were, there would more cover and they would be bigger.

Also, weapons arent designed with any type of tactical thought process either. If it was, there would be clear advantages with brawling weapons compared to long range weapons.

Every map has choke points, sniper vantages, places to hide an entire lance and perfect crossfire kill zones. The fact the everyone runs to the nearest hill and starts humping it or poptart is not a failure of the map but of the players not taking advange of what's provided if they looked around and thought for long then 4 seconds.

As to the weapons, a flexible loadout is a tactic, Thus why the weapons have effective ranges. The fact that most FPS players hunt for a game breaking combo is still a tactle option (all be it cheesy one). but as with most meta's it changes all the time and can be overcome with brains and a flexible load out that doesn't leave you borked at a certain range. i have an Atlas that is good at any range so i'm never left without a target, is it as powerful at long range as the poptart builds, no but if a light gets close i can still put a hurt on it instead of spining around in place and praying for a lucky hit.

#535 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 23 April 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

P.S. What is with Cicadas? I keep seeing newbies in super slow Cicadas, they walk around at like 60 kph then die the moment someone spots them. Is someone trolling newbies by telling them to buy Cicadas and then use a small engine?

Probably they are trying to cram AC/20s or Gauss rifles in them, hence the small engines.

#536 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

OP is spot on.

#537 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostAthomahawk, on 08 May 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Depends on if the change is a good idea, doesnt it?

Not really. Unless its a mom and pop store.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users