159 replies to this topic

#21 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
  • Private Matches
  • 3/3/3/3
2) What do you like least about the Launch Module?
  • can't think about anything right now, I'm pretty happy with what I saw today
3) What are your impressions of the Weight Class Restrictions?
  • they seem to work pretty well
4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?
  • would love to see getting thrown into a "public lobby" when launching into a public match, so the random teams can play several matches together in a row (those who leave get replaced by new pugs)

#22 Krievian

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Solaris 7 and Trials of Combat Style matches.

#23 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

1 <crickets>
the new match maker
Posted Image
2 spent an hour trying to get a match in a shadowhawk,atlas and orion,after 45mins i got a match in a spider.thats 1 match over an hour...so in 5 hours i should get my free day of premium time..
3 im not a spider pilot and would like a game where im not forced to play a mech just to find a match.
4 i have buyers remorse from just buing some MC.1 match in 90 minutes......must be 24 other guys on test.

Edited by Gorantir, 24 April 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#24 Soulslave

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 April 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

1) private matches, private match lobby
2) fixed 3/3/3/3
3) It's a bit boring to know how many mechs per class the enemy has. Wait time is incredible long if a mech is choosen, which the most others have too.
4) suggestions: A wait time indicator for the classes is necessary, to know that's better to choose a medium or heavy instead of an assault to get a quick game start! Weight Class Restrictions variation, for example random matches with 3/3/3/3, 2/4/5/1, 4/5/0/3 ... Something that's not only the current meta.

Edited by Soulslave, 24 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#25 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

#1. There isn't much I like about it, beside the Cancel Button while searching for a Match.
#2. Predictable of what Mechs are on teams. Side effect of it being so restricted.
#3. Working like it's suppose to.
#4. Wait times seem to be tolerable. Less then 10 minutes. One Pre-Made on each team seems to work like it's suppose to.

#26 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I like the look of the private lobby. I like the new 3/3/3/3. I like the soft weight matching. I like that you restrict premade to 1 per team. I like the new cancel button.

long search times.

Not being able to customize private lobby without premium time.

The 3/3/3/3 is great. Much better than what we had before. I also noticed that your weight matching system is working well too. I didn't get any crazy mismatch games. The worst I saw was 35 ton difference, which is acceptable.

You guys need to stop adding box pop up notification boxes everywhere. Learn to streamline things via ingrained checkboxes on the UI itself. I should be able to punch in my launch settings one time (public match, skirmish mode) and then after that hitting play now should insta-launch me over and over.

You guys have this barebone system in-place and you will have to polish this stuff out soon. It's sloppy place-holder work.

Also, can you guys fix the social so we can read and write messages while we're searching? I'm sure there are technical hurdles to overcome, but it would be nice to know why my social button is blinking.

Edited by Jman5, 24 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#27 Elric Tchernovkov

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOdins' Eye

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

I really like the private match lobby. Being able to customize in the lobby was nice. Ability to choose maps, and select tonnage limits was needed. Being able to get around the 3/3/3/3 rule for private matches was essential.
Was in a 2 man group. 2 lights no wait for game, 2 mediums no wait for game, 2 heavies waited a couple minutes for game, 2 assaults gave up on waiting and ran 1 assault and 1 light. Only bug I noticed was the ready button would click but still be lit and clickable afterward. Not sure if Artemis was working properly with streaks.
All in all a most enjoyable upgrade. Thoroughly loved it, especially the private match lobby.

#28 CalderMort

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish)
I like be able to cancel the search for a match

The wait times for the match although mine seem minor compared to others. My longest was around 5 min in a med

Haven't played enough to say.

4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions
Ping was unusually high. I usually play with a ping in the 80's but I noticed my ping was anywhere from 120-220.

#29 CommEE

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

I like the select mech screen from Private Matchmaker and that it only shows your validly loaded-out mechs

-There was no obvious way to cancel out of matchmaker - it should be made more central (and larger)
-There is a bigger difference between a Locust and a Raven than there is between a Raven and a Cidada that 3/3/3/3 can never fully address, but that is part of the strategy that we will have to get used to

I like the weight restrictions - I feel like I had some of the most balanced matches in game today that I have ever had - although that may be the result of who my fellow testers were. I would like to know how many of a given weight class are currently searching though, so I can choose my mech accordingly

-The Public/Private Selection could be made on the same window as the Assault/Conquest/Skirmish window, that or private needs its own button; I want to get into the action quickly when I solo drop
- On the mech selection screen in Private Matchmaker, the "Consumables" frame should be renamed "Modules" (and its button to modify should also be renamed) - This would be a GREAT location to put in a checkbox to automatically reload consumables though
-There needs to be command indicators in the Private Lobby (lance and company, like in game)

#30 Protomartyr

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

The cancel button.

The extremely long wait times for matchmaker

Finally! This was much needed and made for more balanced battles.

#31 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Match 1
Stalker 5M
Public
Assault + Conquest
Wait: 8:25:40 - 8:34:47 (NZST) - Gave Up
Match 2
Griffin - 1N
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish - got Assault
Wait: 8:37:00 - 8:37:48 (NZST)
12 v 11 (0 ping)
Frozen Lake
Match 3
Catapault - 1A
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish- Got Conquest
Wait: 8:43:40 - 8:44:28 (NZST)
Terra Therma
2 BJ, 2 RVN. 1 FS, 3 BLR, 2CT, 1 CDA
12 v 11 (0 ping)

Match 4
Catapault - 1C
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish - Got Assault
Wait: 8:51:45 - 8:52:47 (NZST)
HPG Manifold
3 JNR, 2 JM, 2 STK, 1 GRN, 1 HBK, 1 CN9, 1 BNC, 1 CTPT
12 v 12

Match 5
Stalker 5M
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish - Got Conquest
Wait: 8:58:45 - 8:58:49 (NZST)
Canyon Network
12 v 12
2 Rvn, 3 SHD, 1 Jnr, 2 TDR, 1 HGN, 1 BLR, 1 QKD

Match 6
Stalker 5M
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish - Got Skirmish
Wait: 9:23:29 - 9:24:39 (NZST)
Terra Therma
12 v 12

Match 7
Stalker 5M
Public
Assault + Conquest + Skirmish - Got Skirmish
Wait: 9:33:47 - 9:35:39 (NZST)
Red Strait
12 v 12
Other than the massive wait time my first attempt, it looked good.

Public/Private I would either give 2 launch buttons or merge with the match type selection and enable/disable to cut down on clicks.

Didn't try the private lobby.

#32 MaidenTy1

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

1) Cancel button is good
2) Though it might be visually more different. Had one crash back to desktop. Got bored waiting a couple of times. I would like to know how long queues are- I'd change mech class to the shortest queue if I knew
3) Didn't notice a big difference from normal to be honest! Good to have it there though, might help prevent some stomps. A lot of those are due to skill mismatches though, not really mech weight class.
4) Give an indication of wait times, or at least what's oversubscribed- which weight classes and game modes. Due to disconnects/crashes- please do the reconnect feature. To reduce the need to juggle components and modules, please allow us to save configs so I can easily switch between mechs (bringing modules) or configurations of one mech.

#33 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostSstaan, on 24 April 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

I was unable to test the private que's as to having no friends on the friends list due to the lack of a way to make friends while playing MWO due to the fact that while piloting a mech you don't have time to chat and after a match people never stick around to chat afterwards. I still suggest a chat room for the general public to give us more opportunities to friend other players before/after matches as it would make grouping alot easier.

This. Or a "dead people" channel in game so you can talk without messing up comms for everyone else.

#34 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Cancel Button! Yes! Soooooo needed. 1V1 was fun, though I wish there were some kind of rewards for private matches (even if much less than public matches)

My lance mates can troll me by hitting cancel... Actually least is probably the long wait time, but I would gladly change that for better matches.

Specifically for private matches: To set the weight limits only having the up/down arrow could be cumbersome. Would be nice if you can highlight the boxes and set your value via keyboard.

Although it takes longer to find matches, most of them ended up being much closer in score overall than what we normally see. It also allowed some of my mediums builds be more viable that are not so much with the current meta.

In private matches under select a mech, instead of 'modify consumables' it should be 'modules', since not all modules are consumable.

Also, would be nice to be able to do 1v1 with a group setup, rather than having to invite someone into the lobby who is not in your group.

It would be really nice if somewhere (if not in game, maybe on the mwomercs homepage) to have a average wait time per weight class. Or at least someway to know which weight class I can chose to have the shortest wait time. Right now, mediums were the way to go, but that may change if everyone decides to roll mediums for that very reason.

Edited by Bhelogan, 24 April 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#35 Sarru

• Shredder
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Played around 10 matches, only Public matches, did not find any difference from usual, except 3/3/3/3 balance. I feared for longer match search time, due to all of my favorite mechs are Assault class LRM-boats, but it happens only 2 times out of 10 (3-4 minutes of waiting, not that much), other times it were usual 20-120 seconds. So i am happy to know that i can play as always.
"Cancel search" button instead of "Alt+F4" is fine too.

No more epic batlles of titans, when most of both teams are Assault mechs. At least in public matches.

It makes matches a little more balanced, but reduces its diversity.

Why to balance teams by weight class, not by tonnage? If current balancer is bugged, just repair it.
P.S. Sorry for possible inconvenience, english is not my native, nor i am good at it.

#36 dekker lentz

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I love the Private Lobby. Less than 12 v 12 private matches.

A. The Mech Lab in the Private Matches needs work. Cumbersome and not ready to make full changes to a Mech.
B. No Private Lobby type Screen for Public Matches.

3/3/3/3 could see the same mechs over and over again, because certain mechs are just better. For example, an Awesome is a determine as 1/3 assaults. One thing I would like to see is certain 'Mechs be counted below their weight class. For Example, a Cicada counts as a light, a Dragon a medium, an Awesome as a Heavy. This would encourage people to play unpopular Mechs.

4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?[color=#00FFFF] [/color]

Rewards for Private matches. If we have to pay premium time to use the full private lobby then we should get some type of reward. I am thinking 10,000 C-Bills, 100xp, if you have 1 assist or 1 kill. Could there be farming? Maybe, but it wouldn't be profitable.

See Weight restrictions.

#37 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

That awesome "Cancel search" button, and the 3/3/3/3 system.

The long wait times for certain weight groups. I was landing matches pretty often in my lights, and it didn't take long for my Stalker either, but I had to wait 30+ minutes to get into a match as a medium, and I couldn't even get into a match as a heavy (canceled the search because I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait).

Every match that I have played on the PTS hasn't been a stomp, and I have had some awesome fights. Matches do seem to end faster, however, which makes me a little sad.

I'm very curious to see how things go on the public servers, especially in regards to wait-times.

#38 DarthPayne

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLucerne, Switzerland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

• 3/3/3/3! Woot!
  • Cancel search button! Woot!
  • The theory (see below) of having private matches.
  • Mech change inside the lobby is great. Shows only ready mechs. I'd have preferred sorting by weight rather than alphabetically, but the topic of sorting is still an overall problem, not just in the new lobby.

• Cannot figure out how the lobby system is supposed to work for private matches. I can group up with a buddy and start a private match. I get to the lobby, I can move my buddy into the enemy team but the "full team" option doesn't seem to be implemented, so I can't start a game. So, that leaves the question how to get additional people in. I can't figure out how. I'd expect to be able to have the friends list somewhere so I can drag people in without having to create a group and to have to wait for everyone to ready up only to get back into a view where everyone has to ready up again. Totally counter-intuitive and apparently unfinished. So, that means I haven't played a single private match, yet, even though I activated premium time in the hopes to create an actual private match.
  • I don't particulary like the requirement for premium time to do customizable private matches. Define an MC price and sell "private match tickets". Even better, let us buy tickets with C-Bills, too (80-120k is ok).

100% needed and now we finally have it. I approve of this. Doesn't seem to guard against rolls over the enemy team, though.

• I'm not sure if it's an actual new bug, but laser hit registration on the legs of a flying mech seem to produce extremely suboptimal results in public test. Read: A few times, I knew I hit with my 6 medium lasers but the hit indicator didn't register. Worked fine on mechs on the ground. It's as if HSR doesn't work properly.
  • The player slots in the lobby are very tiny (read: too small) in the lobby at 2048x1152. Lots of free room around that goes unused. Insufficient shrink/grow functionality of your UI widget set.
  • Wait times were between 30 secs and 17 minutes for public matches. They seemed much shorter overall once I grouped up with a buddy.
  • The new faction icons on the friends list is nice but I'd have assigned it a much lower priority. That's a nice-to-have for when CW comes in at the earliest.
  • Otherwise, performance seems to be about the same, no crashes.
  • Please stop spamming us with modal dialog boxes. I can only say it again every time.

Edited by DarthPayne, 24 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#39 Boggratt

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

The Cancel button was a welcome addition, I did have to use it a few times (see below).

Game search time for selected matches was way too long (over 15 minutes) while games in any mode were between 10 seconds to 3 minutes long and that was using mechs in all weight classes.

The balance seemed to work. Matches seemed more even handed, wins were more down to player ability than tonnage.

None that I can think of for now.

#40 Cannydog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Had exactly one launch so far... All other attempts have failed. If this goes "Live" as is it will Kill the game. I may try back later. But I sort of don't see the point.

Ok so I got in enough for the "5 matches" they wanted us to participate in... (Much Cancelling and trying again helped. But that it should require such a tactic makes no sense to me at all.)

SRMs still don't work that well. At really close range they should actually do some good damage. Otherwise you're just jerking us around and it would be far better to equip LRMs and maintain a standoff position. Plus I'm just going to say that the animation for missles (short or long range) is terrible and always has been. You guys at PGI should just be ashamed.

I was firing an SRM-6, an SRM-4, and two Medium Lasers as a group. And while it wasn't giving me lots of trouble with the whole "ghost heat" thing. I couldn't bring down a Hunchback from the rear with two volleys (that at least appeared to hit... I was within 20 meters) combined with a hit with an A/C 20. So don't give me crap about how "it really is working..." because its just NOT.

As far as the matches were concerned. It wasn't an improvement. They were just as much of a "Pug Stomp" as they've always been. So the whole thing about matching weights is a steaming pile of Male Bovine Excrement. Win, or Loose, is all about the relative skill of the players on each team. And there's nothing PGI will ever do to reliably even that out.

I wasn't able to try Private Matches because very few in my Clan are willing to download a second copy of the game. Still I'm encouraged to hear that you are implementing this feature. Its been needed for a long time now.

Edited by Cannydog, 24 April 2014 - 06:23 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users