People Tell You Not Be The First To Go Out

60 replies to this topic

#1 Flaming oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Cant tell you how many teams I've been on that's got to the end of the game and everyone but me has been listening to this rule so I've had to repeatedly lead the charge even when heavily damaged or nothing was done. Till I got sick of it and laughed when the game ended with no one having broke 100 damage because they refused to move without my skirt to hide behind . There is a line someone has to be the first one out . Sometimes you die sometimes you do amazing damage and take a couple with you. If you hide like a pansy let me tell you what's happening, your one less person for the enemy team to worry about cause your clearly bad. . What? Its your teams fault you lost you were the last person standing? Yeah yet you did less then 200 damage usually less then 100 because you were to busy hiding quivering in fear whilst your allies were taking fire else where and at a man disadvantage

#2 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

They say nobody go first, but somebody actually has to do it.

And just like you, it's usually me. In a Cicada, or an XL Jager.

Just a couple of days ago I was on forest colony. We were on North Side. Everyone went to the cave entrance and just sat there. So okay "**** it". I went in, everyone followed.

At the end of the cave the other team was camped (of course) so everyone just sat behind me. Sighing, I said "**** it" and ran out there, dumping an arty as I went and blazing my dakka for all I was worth. The enemy team scattered and I managed to slay one of them.

Now my team comes out of the cave and just sits in the chokepoint trading blows with the other team sitting on the other side of the chokepoint. Sighin again, I said "**** it" and went around to the right flank. Caught out a hunchy and kept going, killed two more as I came around behind the enemy choke team. Does my team push now? No. I died. ...Then they pushed.

They way I looked at it is just like you did: I'm the battle winning hero with 4 kills and uber damage and the rest of those guys are *******. It's just the way it has to be.

P.S. It's great when you're on a team with other battle winning heroes. What fun to just clean house.

Edited by Indiandream, 28 May 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

The trick is being able to step out and take some shots while not being melted.....

Typically, when I hang back a bit and go in later is when I manage to get my 400dmg and a few assist runs. Otherwise, when I try to go first I get maybe 120dmg.......250 if I just happen to get lucky and survive the initial blast......but the next stiff wind that comes by kills me...

#4 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

i agree! Especially the Assault Pilots often dont see/know/understand that they should be the first ones in line and still stop immediately once the first AC hits them somewhere....
You cannot do damage without taking some yourself!!

Usually i try to lead a charge too, even if i dont pilot a frontline-assault-brawler or something similar. Still better than just to wait until the match is lost.

I just think that the very most of the Players dont read the Forum or new Players help and though they will probably never, or just MUUUCH slower, become a good Pilot who knows what to do and when to do it!

But, just to balance it all a bit. There are good matches too :)

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostIndiandream, on 28 May 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

Just a couple of days ago I was on forest colony. We were on North Side. Everyone went to the cave entrance and just sat there. So okay "**** it". I went in, everyone followed.

At the end of the cave the other team was camped (of course) so everyone just sat behind me. Sighing, I said "**** it" and ran out there, dumping an arty as I went and blazing my dakka for all I was worth. The enemy team scattered and I managed to slay one of them.

Now my team comes out of the cave and just sits in the chokepoint trading blows with the other team sitting on the other side of the chokepoint. Sighin again, I said "**** it" and went around to the right flank. Caught out a hunchy and kept going, killed two more as I came around behind the enemy choke team. Does my team push now? No. I died. ...Then they pushed.

They way I looked at it is just like you did: I'm the battle winning hero with 4 kills and uber damage and the rest of those guys are *******. It's just the way it has to be.

P.S. It's great when you're on a team with other battle winning heroes. What fun to just clean house.

Sadly im to lost in this game to be a battle winning hero. And typically, when I do make an epic move in games, WoT for example.....my entire team is already dead....

Countless times in my T29 when it was top tier, I would lead, or my KV1....I would face roll one side, my entire team would get face rolled down the other.....I lose and die. Carrying for my is not possible.

This game I am not even sure where to go and not get face planted....it seems no matter which corner I poke from I get a hail of long range AC fire and rocket barrages...

#6 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

Problem is everyone is worried about their precious stats and ratios.. so they don't wanna die.they want YOU to die whilst they take pot shots at the enemy.

Gotta love the Pug Life. Proper Gangsta bizness...

#7 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

Posted Image

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 28 May 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

Problem is everyone is worried about their precious stats and ratios.. so they don't wanna die.they want YOU to die whilst they take pot shots at the enemy.

Gotta love the Pug Life. Proper Gangsta bizness...

Would be nice if PGI would just remove the stat page entirely. Then I wouldnt feel compelled to improve it....cuz as it is....9/17 KD and like 4/15 W/L....its just pathetic.

Avg dmg somewhere around the low 200s.....

#9 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

If I'm on a team that wants to play like cowards, sometimes I say to heck with it and just go out and try to kill someone by myself. yes, this often results in death, but at least I can get out of a match with a team of scaredy cats.

Tactic 2 is to double down on their cowardice and fall even further back behind them, so i can lay in some hardcore damage when the other team inevitably flanks them with a deathball. Sometimes I can even save the match by either getting several kills on unsuspecting deathball mechs, or put enough fire into their lead mechs to stop them in their tracks long enough for the cowards on my team to react and actually start shooting effectively.

#10 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 28 May 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Would be nice if PGI would just remove the stat page entirely. Then I wouldnt feel compelled to improve it....cuz as it is....9/17 KD and like 4/15 W/L....its just pathetic.

Avg dmg somewhere around the low 200s.....

Mmm.. I had a terrible stat page when I first started, and in fact it's something motivated me to become a better player. My mission was to get that k/d/r up to 1.0. Many hundreds of matches later when I finally achieved this, i pushed for 1.5, now pushing for 2.0 (after hundreds and hundreds more matches).

I think it can be positive if it encourages people to get better. As long as the team always comes first.

#11 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostIndiandream, on 28 May 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

Mmm.. I had a terrible stat page when I first started, and in fact it's something motivated me to become a better player. My mission was to get that k/d/r up to 1.0. Many hundreds of matches later when I finally achieved this, i pushed for 1.5, now pushing for 2.0 (after hundreds and hundreds more matches).

I think it can be positive if it encourages people to get better. As long as the team always comes first.

Yup, I am motivated to improve it to, but it just seems im cursed to be stuck on the lemming teams who cant even make a game of it....

I am so tired of the 2-12 wipes....it doesnt seem to even matter what I do....as if my extra piddly 200dmg woulda made any difference when the rest of the team only manages to down 1 or 2 and we lose all 12.

The even more annoying ones are where we are winning like 6-0...then suddenly end up losing 6-12...lol.

#12 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 28 May 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Yup, I am motivated to improve it to, but it just seems im cursed to be stuck on the lemming teams who cant even make a game of it....

I am so tired of the 2-12 wipes....it doesnt seem to even matter what I do....as if my extra piddly 200dmg woulda made any difference when the rest of the team only manages to down 1 or 2 and we lose all 12.

The even more annoying ones are where we are winning like 6-0...then suddenly end up losing 6-12...lol.

No kidding. And I've been in the 12-2 wipes on both sides generally if I get a kill or both idc. The tards are only hurting my w/l.

#13 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

So many assault drivers are unwilling to do their jobs. Half the point of the assault class is to spearhead assaults. When the people on your team who should be leading the charge are busing skulking behind cover and refusing to move...

It's just a shame having the ones who should be following the leaders instead have to do the line breaking instead. Mediums aren't supposed to rush in and tank the enemy team, they're supposed to follow up the assaults and provide mobile support for them. Yet I cannot tell you the number of times I've had to run my Hunchback into the middle of the enemy team because nobody else is willing to do it. It usually wins the game, too, and every now and then I even survive it, but the fact that I have to do it at all is frustrating.

Terra Therma mid, Frozen City tunnel, etc., if your team is stacked up at a choke point and you're getting poked to death by enemy poptarts, lrms, or whatever, then you need to either attack with speed and determination, or fall back. Just standing around getting shot and doing nothing is a recipe for disaster.

#14 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

No one has to convince me to play aggressive and lead the charge, ever.

Except for their speed, I love my assaults and heavies.

Edited by Ihasa, 28 May 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#15 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostIndiandream, on 28 May 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

I felt genuine anger at that pathetic team you unfortunately ended up with when I read this. Kudos to you for leading the charge and kicking ass.

Next time, be like a drill sergeant and berate them for being giant vaginas. You won't believe how many times that works.

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 28 May 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#16 Sean Kye

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 77 posts
  • LocationATL, Georgia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

Why do the assault

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 28 May 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

So many assault drivers are unwilling to do their jobs. Half the point of the assault class is to spearhead assaults.

And here is why we quit doing it. Though from time to time I still do, and get the same result, so I quit doing it again. I lead the charge, go over the ridge, around the corner, what ever the case may be. What I get for my trouble is being yelled at for exposing myself and getting killed, because not a single pilot follows behind me to make it a charge to begin with.

Don't blame the assault pilots, all of you are pansies and I see it every single match. And how did it ever get into anyone's head the assaults lead the wave? They are the slowest, easiest to hit targets in the game, that is why when they do lead they go down fast. The best tactic is always to send fast skirmishers in first to break up their focus with the assault mechs coming in behind to hit the center with your heavies flanking.

Edited by Sean Kye, 29 May 2014 - 03:14 AM.

#17 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostSean Kye, on 29 May 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

Why do the assault

And here is why we quit doing it. Though from time to time I still do, and get the same result, so I quit doing it again. I lead the charge, go over the ridge, around the corner, what ever the case may be. What I get for my trouble is being yelled at for exposing myself and getting killed, because not a single pilot follows behind me to make it a charge to begin with.

Don't blame the assault pilots, all of you are pansies and I see it every single match. And how did it ever get into anyone's head the assaults lead the wave? They are the slowest, easiest to hit targets in the game, that is why when they do lead they go down fast. The best tactic is always to send fast skirmishers in first to break up their focus with the assault mechs coming in behind to hit the center with your heavies flanking.

Yup lol. Rush in with lights, the hard to hit, hard to detect guys who spot for LRMs go first. LRM boats soften up those who get spotted. Mediums follow in behind them and get the fur flyin then Assaults come in last and drop the hammer.

Ofc, I play bigger mechs and am kinda aggressive in games, but this game I dont get. I try to be one of the first, I die in seconds dealing less then 100 dmg. Or I hang back a bit as a more support heavy and deal a moderate 250-450dmg.

I dont get how were supposed to spearhead and actually accomplish anything.

I did follow a Highlander around a corner yesterday........he walked into like 5 mechs.....I fired but backed up..he died....There is a fine line between leading the charge and suicide. 2v like 4 or 5.....thats suicide. Ofc they were mediums. But still lol 4-5v2...ouch.

Guess I dont have much faith in my mech's armor.

#18 Vweegit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts
  • LocationEvans, NY, USA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostSean Kye, on 29 May 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

The best tactic is always to send fast skirmishers in first to break up their focus with the assault mechs coming in behind to hit the center with your heavies flanking.

Agreed completely. I am frequently that skirmisher. When the firepower actually does its job in this scenario, it works. When they hang back and continue their hill humping or hiding, though, it's frequently a one-way ticket to spectatorville. The trick is to let the enemy see you just enough to launch their LRMs at you - then you break lock and hopefully your teammates make a move. If they don't make their move, the enemy's lights are going to chase you down in a hurry if they're halfway competent. Make sure you have a decent exit strategy. :)

#19 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

I stopped caring about this issue a long time ago. When I know we have to push - you don't have to push in every game - and find myself alone I just let myself get killed and drop to another game. No point messing around playing peekaboo for 10 minutes on a likely loss, in a potentially crippled mech.

#20 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:26 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 29 May 2014 - 03:21 AM, said:

Yup lol. Rush in with lights, the hard to hit, hard to detect guys who spot for LRMs go first. LRM boats soften up those who get spotted. Mediums follow in behind them and get the fur flyin then Assaults come in last and drop the hammer.

Ofc, I play bigger mechs and am kinda aggressive in games, but this game I dont get. I try to be one of the first, I die in seconds dealing less then 100 dmg. Or I hang back a bit as a more support heavy and deal a moderate 250-450dmg.

I dont get how were supposed to spearhead and actually accomplish anything.

I did follow a Highlander around a corner yesterday........he walked into like 5 mechs.....I fired but backed up..he died....There is a fine line between leading the charge and suicide. 2v like 4 or 5.....thats suicide. Ofc they were mediums. But still lol 4-5v2...ouch.

Guess I dont have much faith in my mech's armor.

If we are really talking tactics here then the lights and fast mediums should harass the flanks to distract the focus of the enemy team while the LRMs rain down some pain from the spots they get. The lights will hopefully spot the biggest threat on the team which the assault team should call out in chat. When the enemy team is sufficiently distracted you push with the main body AS ONE so that the the enemy team does not have just one target to focus and yourselves focus on the target that got called out as the main threat (sometimes ddc ecm atlas, whatever). The assault should be in the first wave, but should be supported by at least one other heavy and some thicker mediums that can do a shorter flank or try and get to rear armors.

When you give your enemy only one target to shoot, they will shoot up said target. Panic comes from seeing your teammates fall and being shot by more targets than you can handle while that LRM warning is sounding off and lights are peppering your backside.

I'm no pro, but whenever I was in command of anything on comms this seemed to be a strategy that works regardless of the situation.

Defense against that is trying to make only one come out at a time so all your defensive team can just focus fire and drop them like rocks while your lights target things and tell you if the main body is reacting.

With the size of the maps we have there isn't as much manuever warfare in the grander schemes so simple tactics seem to do fairly well in a rather generic way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users