- - - - -

Should I Sell My Variants?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hey guys, recently I elited my FB, can anyone see a disadvantage in selling my JM6-A and my JM6-DD? Is there a history of drastic changes that would make me regret selling one or the other in the future? Also if I bought them back at one stage for the above reason will they still be at master level?

#2 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

First, yes, they'll still be at master.

Second..."history of drastic changes?" Yes.

My recommendation is that you outfit them with various playstyles that you enjoy...that way you're not constantly refitting one mech.

If/when "dropship mode" ever comes out, you'll get the option of picking of of several mechs to drop in, after seeing the map, so the ability to outfit one that runs hot, one that runs cool, long-range, short-range, different weapons systems, etc...could be a good thing.

You also only get 50% of its value back...selling mechs back, unless you're desperate for mech bays...is generally counterproductive.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 25 April 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Unless your mechbay supply is extremely limited, I recommend keeping at least one extra Jager.
I personally still have all 4, but at 103 mechbays I'd hardly consider my supply limited.

<.<
>.>
I'm running out of bays! Halp!

But seriously though. If they ever take ghost heat off of AC/2s, you'll want the DD to mount 6 AC/2s and try it.

Most fun ever to be had in MWO.

Where else could you do this? Or this? Or this?

Edited by Koniving, 25 April 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

From a long-term Cbill perspective, only sell when you are out of mechbays and 100% sure you will like something better. I want to re-buy almost every mech I sold back when I had limited space.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Of the 30 + mechs I did sell, I rebought 17 of them.
Some of them I rebought twice...because I was dumb enough to sell them again.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Jagers are some of the best mechs in the game. I would not sell them. If you must sell something sell that crappy Centurion(C).

#7 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

No doubt about you guys, great info, good points. I needed the mech bays, and the c-bills would have helped the grind saving for the DDC, but hanging onto them is the best option.
Will have to throw a few more bucks PGIs way for mech bays. And maybe another hero mech...lol
Many thanks.

#8 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostSwinebeast, on 25 April 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

No doubt about you guys, great info, good points. I needed the mech bays, and the c-bills would have helped the grind saving for the DDC, but hanging onto them is the best option.
Will have to throw a few more bucks PGIs way for mech bays. And maybe another hero mech...lol
Many thanks.

Whenever mech bays are on sale (rare) I usually spend whatever MC I have lying around left over to pick a few up :P

#9 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

I don't think selling Mechs is a good plan.
You get so little back, and with what Mechbays are worth, you may as well just buy a couple more as needed.

And for those saying you only get 50% of the mech back?
Eeeeh...
Just out of mine, they sell for:
Locust - 132,489
Spider - 289,758
Raven - 390,160
Cicada - 504,856
Centurion - 776,612
Catapult - 1,288,590
Thunderbolt - 1,288,590

That's roughly 4-12% what you pay for the things.
And that's not including upgrades you've put in (Bought DHS? that's 1.5mil that's gone, same for Artemis, ES and FF)
A locust 3M is 1,777,326 base, then if you've put in DHS, that's up to 3,277,326.
Still sells for 132,489.

A Std 160 buys for 981,200, sells for 490,600.
Hell, even if you sell it and all the equipment it came with, it still doesn't quite break 50% before upgrades.
And that's just for the locust.

#10 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

The S and DD are so similar to each other, yet provide something the FB doesn't have: Ability to mount 3 or 4 AC2's/AC5's. So I would recommend keeping the S (since it also has 4 energy mounts) and ditching the DD (you can't really use all 6 ballistic mounts effectively anyway).

#11 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I only recommend selling variants that are clearly redundant or you don't enjoy playing. the jager A and DD aren't redundant at all so I'd warn against selling them unless you just don't like them.

#12 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

My suggestion is, if you don't really really need that mechbay, don't sell your mechs. If you decide to buy them again in the future you'll waste a lot of C-Bills.

Edited by Tahribator, 25 April 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#13 tuffy963

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I don't sell mech as their resell is absurdly low. 63 mechs and counting...

I am still delusional in that I hope that PGI team will get some aspect of mechwarrior universe economy functioning. After all, economic drivers is one of the primary themes of the mechwarrior canon. Much of the Inner Sphere conflicts are based on economic drivers: planetary resources, commerce routes, etc.

Much of a merc groups or faction regiments success in canon is measured on their ability to manage resources (of which incredibily expensive 50 ft tall robots are the primary asset). In fact, many of the canon stories revolve around entire battles being decided based financial decisions on the battle field (Contracts vs. Battlefield realities).

I keep my mechs because in that universe, I am wealthy....

Unfortunately, in this universe, I am just a silly fool that has a lot of XL engines. :P

#14 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 25 April 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

...ditching the DD (you can't really use all 6 ballistic mounts effectively anyway).

My twin AC/10 quad MG -DD says otherwise. Sure it's a build that is intended to use all 6 ballistics, and would probably work okay with just two MGs, but it is still quite nasty. Components just fall off of my opponents.

But I'm generally in the "don't sell a thing" camp. To date I've sold one mech, and that was my Cent-A after I got the free champion.

Edited by Buckminster, 25 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

You should certainly evaluate the hardpoints- The Jager A and the Jager DD can both run builds the FB can't, and as weapons get balanced over time (as well as changing metagame, including tuesday's launch module change) you may wish you could run different types of mech builds.

I have certainly sold some mechs that offered little to no hardpoint changes, but I'm not likely to sell a mech that can run different types of loadouts.

Not to mention, depending on your C-bill balance, selling mechs may simply not be very productive. I have 55 million in the bank, so selling a chassis (at a large deficit) for only a couple million? not really worth it... But if you need a new mech (with 3/3/3/3 coming, you will want to own more than one weight class) it may be worth it to sell some.

#16 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

4MGs is an order of magnitude better than 2MGs.
Hell, I'd be curious to see what 6MGs does....
Maybe even enough to try a Jagermech one day.

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

my advice is that if you haven't spent any real money on the other variants and dont like them,sell them only if you need the free mech bays

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 25 April 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

My twin AC/10 quad MG -DD says otherwise. Sure it's a build that is intended to use all 6 ballistics, and would probably work okay with just two MGs, but it is still quite nasty. Components just fall off of my opponents.

Friends don't let friends have machine guns (you're better off with twin AC/10 and quad medium lasers).

I know machine guns are pretty efficient dealing with internals, but if you're in a slow mech like a Jager getting that close takes too long and is risky since its not got much armor. On the other hand medium lasers are always effective and helps keep you at a more ideal range for AC/10 havoc.

#19 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 25 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Friends don't let friends have machine guns (you're better off with twin AC/10 and quad medium lasers).

I know machine guns are pretty efficient dealing with internals, but if you're in a slow mech like a Jager getting that close takes too long and is risky since its not got much armor. On the other hand medium lasers are always effective and helps keep you at a more ideal range for AC/10 havoc.

So...if you put 2 AC/10, 2 ML AND 4 MG...you'd be a right terror :P

3 AC5, 2 ML and 3 MG is also very effective...ran it for a LONG time on my DD.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 25 April 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#20 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

JM6-DD

2 PPC, 6 MG = 8.7 sustained DPS

Boo

ya

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users