289 replies to this topic

#101 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 29 April 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

The only way to follow TT in this game is to remove the FPS element and make it all turn based with tiles. Then you have mechwarrior tactics....which you can play right now and sounds like you want to play but aren't for some odd reason.

I think his main point is adding the rule of "3" is putting training wheels on a 10 speed bike. It is not needed nor is it wanted. What it signifies is that their programmers who gave us ELO and "matchmaker" have no clue/skills on how to balance team loads, period.

So instead of listening to those who tested this over the past weekend (we did raise these concerns then) they pushed it out regardless.

#102 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostMeta 2013, on 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

[color=#b27204]Rebas Kradd[/color]

Dude at least get your facts right ... they ran the test for 6 hours ..not 10. So your good at flaming but failed math. Also note that during that time, many connection issues never allowed people to connect, and one 6 hour test, were your other live servers are till up and running, means you will NOT get a good statistical sample. Run a 90% confidence test against your sample set. Was enough Data even collected to qualify as a valid sample? Hmmm?

Learn some statistics before trying to state you opinion as being useful.

Meta

http://mwomercs.com/...st-24-apr-2014/

https://twitter.com/...473246098694144

After the test began, they extended it by four hours into the North American evening at the suggestion of many people, including myself. It ran ten hours.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 29 April 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#103 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostMarneusB, on 29 April 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Sorry Rebas, I misspoke, "wasn't tested well enough". [Redacted], and stop trying to nitpick my valid argument to death, you PGI patsy. I'm done wasting my time on this forum, ever since I started in closed beta, there has always been people like you, trying to mash and quell every post that is critical of the great PGI overlords, regardless of what might be learned by...

Oooookaay. If you're just going to resort to personal attacks, I'm done with this argument.

#104 Justy Starflare

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

how about giving public players a choice on whether or not they want assault or skirmish or conquest matches as well. i mean its not that hard if you guys use that noodle between your ears you will have it done by tomorrow.

Edited by Justy Starflare, 29 April 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#105 MarneusB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

LOL

Okay Rebas, only you're allowed to make personal attacks on this forum, is that right? My apologies, I forgot to read the revised forum rules.

#106 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

To test the MM properly (and 1 day is not enough).. you need a 3 day rotation (ideally weekend) but it would probably been monitored in a 3 day block (Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday) on a non-patch week cycle.

Just give rewards on those days... like a mechbay, free day of premium, free trinket (on each day) requiring people to play 5-10 matches on each respective day to keep proper MM feedback.

Simply put, 1 day is not enough, no matter how you test it. Between the days, you could improve/alter it as necessary and leave the changes when feedback is received. Even offer to leave someone @ PGI to take the feedback directly via TS (NGNG or Comstar) while on the servers. Ideally, these guys would play for a 1-2 hour block, rotating in the morning, afternoon, night (3 times in the day), usually not the same guy (because, that would be unproductive). Ideally, it would have to be a guy that works directly with the MM (yes, that means Paul too).

That's how it should ideally work... nothing like the 1-day "oops, didn't find/fix enough bugs" fiasco that was PTS Thursday to today.

Edited by Deathlike, 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#107 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

And this is why a lobby of players should exist first. You know, like in League of Legends. Launch, when the match-maker finds other players based on ELO, create a lobby. Then present players with choices. They can discuss who wants to pilot what and make compromises if there are too many for 3/3/3/3 cap.

I have mechs in all classes, but I prefer my Hunchbacks, so I'll almost always go for them when playing. However, if in a lobby there are too many players wanting to run a medium mech, I'll gladly switch to my Battlemaster. Or my Raven. Or my Thunderbolt. Choosing before only creates more problems, though I imagine it was less work to implement. Then again, with some of the user interface 2.0 decisions, maybe this was what PGI thought was best.

*shrug*

#108 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Meanwhile... Hope you find out what's up to get it up an running.

#109 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'm not going to get to worked up over this delay. Crap breaks when it moves from a dev server to a test server to production.

#110 Nemesis Wolf

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf occupation zone (or Seattle, Wa-IRL)

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Ok, for those of you, asking those of us that tested the 3/3/3/3 mechanics on the PTS if they saw any of the issues you're seeing. No, Actually load times were pretty normal on the PTS, Matchmaking worked as it should, Matches were fairly balanced. (Though most pugs were still playing "Rambo"). I was actually quite happy with the results. So be nice to the Moderators and Devs, It was working fine on the PTS Weekend to test the 3/3/3/3.

And.. I think I was on my other profile, Sstaan. And before you ask, yes, I have more than one profile.. 3 actually.

Athena Hart (Which I created for the Beta), this one and Sstaan... don't ask why, I'm just silly.

Edited by Nemesis Wolf, 29 April 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#111 Goose of Prey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

With 3/3/3/3 suspended it appears matchmaker is allowing 12 mans to drop in the public queue. I just had a game and the group we played was openly admitting they were a 12 man pre-made.

PGI you might want to look into that.

#112 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

So.... finally home but it appears that I have no reason to log on. I was hoping for 3/3/3/3 (with Elo and some weightmatching), and the ability to play Conquest. I was willing to settle for 3/3/3/3.

Is there any reason to play before they hot-fix this? And no, I am not triggering premium time with this current state of affairs.

Edited by Jonathan Paine, 29 April 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#113 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

The only way to follow TT in this game is to remove the FPS element and make it all turn based with tiles. Then you have mechwarrior tactics....which you can play right now and sounds like you want to play but aren't for some odd reason.

Sadly true. Also unfortunately true, MWT lacks MWO's art direction.

#114 Lord Banshee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChi-Town IL

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

As a jaded first-day-closed-beta victim, I'd think this was a veiled attempt to get everyone to get Premium time and focus on duels and 2v2...

#115 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I haven't the time to play for the rest of this week, really, so all this is no skin off my back - I'm sure you'll figure it out. Still, when you get it fixed, let us know vaguely what went wrong in the cookie dough, will you? I have to admit to cat-killing levels of curiosity.

#116 Soloun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

I appreciate shit happens and that you'll get it sorted ASAP but if you could please let us know when you give 3/3/3/3 another go I'd know its worth trying the game again.
I am a bit annoyed there's no way to pause premium time though when things like this happen, its no one fault regardless of what all the whiners say, get over it guys, but I bought another months worth the other week and was back playing because you said the 29th is the day, now times ticking away and its not working and my money feels like it was wasted.
I guess I'll continue to support the game regardless, I enjoyed the test the other day and would happily play test only until things like community warfare go live, but would appreciate a way to put premium on hold while things like this get sorted out, just a thought.

#117 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Something similar happened when ELO matching was implemented. Wait times ran up to 10+ minutes. They fixed it. But, ELO matching was/is far from perfect. The tolerance for ELO matching range became an issue. Perhaps the range had to be extended to allow matches in a timely manner.

I still say: If you put more filters into the Match Maker. It extends wait times.

3/3/3/3 is very similar how groups are formed in MMORPGs. The people on the popular end (DPS role) get wait times of 15 minutes on average. I expect similar here with Heavy and Assault Mechs.

#118 Jak Darren

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

You have zero idea what you are talking about. If you looked into it at all you wouldn't make such useless posts.

#119 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostEddrick, on 29 April 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Something similar happened when ELO matching was implemented. Wait times ran up to 10+ minutes. They fixed it. But, ELO matching was/is far from perfect. The tolerance for ELO matching range became an issue. Perhaps the range had to be extended to allow matches in a timely manner.

I still say: If you put more filters into the Match Maker. It extends wait times.

3/3/3/3 is very similar how groups are formed in MMORPGs. The people on the popular end (DPS role) get wait times of 15 minutes on average. I expect similar here with Heavy and Assault Mechs.

WoT have different categories of vehicles, but it doesn't take 15 minutes to find a match. Plus groups in MMORPGs tend to stay together longer than 10 minutes. I am sure this is all a glitch and we will be back to regularly scheduled matches (and launch times) soon.

#120 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yea! more free stuff!

Piranha games strikes again.

PGI shoots foot off.

No really we identified this problem on the public test server. We reported it to the feedback forums. They had plenty of time to investigate the situation and solve the issue.

So I don't know what to say. I feel like we need the south park I'm Sorry vid right now.

http://youtu.be/rDqatJPvOfk

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 29 April 2014 - 06:24 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users