Help Me Question

13 replies to this topic

#1 Vanrian

• Pip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

I posted my first question and got a lot of great feedback, I was more appreciative than suprised at the amount and level of advice and help I was able to get. Sooooo, I figured I'd give asking for advice another shot.

I recently (all of a half hour ago) found out about gaining experience with particular chasis and getting them "mastered". I currently run an HBK-4P that I'm using as a hit-and-run walking laser. But to master the chasis I need to elite 3 variants. Trying to stay within the same playstyle (and perhaps branch out) what would you all recommend as the other two variants to use?

Again I appreciate all the help :P and look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

#2 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:24 AM

Well if you're going for the hunchback, the SP and J both offer SRMs, and G/H is a good AC20 platform, and that's pretty much it for hunchbacks. The hit and run works with the big gun, and nothing says DIE, like an AC20 does.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

4SP and 4H.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

You certainly need to examine the weapons available, since none of the other HBKs will bring the same loadout as the 4P. You'll need to diversify into either a ballistic or missiles.

#5 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostVanrian, on 30 April 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

I posted my first question and got a lot of great feedback, I was more appreciative than suprised at the amount and level of advice and help I was able to get. Sooooo, I figured I'd give asking for advice another shot.

I recently (all of a half hour ago) found out about gaining experience with particular chasis and getting them "mastered". I currently run an HBK-4P that I'm using as a hit-and-run walking laser. But to master the chasis I need to elite 3 variants. Trying to stay within the same playstyle (and perhaps branch out) what would you all recommend as the other two variants to use?

Again I appreciate all the help ^_^ and look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

I don't run Hunchbacks...but I can tell you that every time I see one, the FIRST thing I aim for is that shoulder hunch. Just be aware that players see it and realize that taking it out will SEVERELY neuter your build...so pilot to protect it, across the board.

If you're looking to spark your creativity, try giving mechspecs.com a shot. Lots of builds, lots of discussion, and some voting on builds people like...so check out the Hunchbacks and see if any catch your eye!

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Well, since OP already drives a 4P I hopehe knows how to protect his hunch (near-max armor on front, torso twisting, flanking & other indirect approach to target)

#7 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Additional info on mech xp and mastery can be found in my sig.

4sp used to be the "best" when i first joined, since then it has dropped in rank. One thing people liked about the 4sp was the lack of "hunch". The G allows you to mount more ballistics, but if you prefer lasers take the H.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

4G with stock engine, 3x mlas + AC-20 = cheap and fun.

#9 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

With the HBK, you'll generally want one variant with lasers, one variant with an AC20+lasers, and one variant with SRMs (or LRMS)+lasers. I'd suggest that you get one ballistic HBK and one missile HBK since it helps to have a wider variety of mechs at your disposal.

For an AC20+lasers, your options are the HBK-4H and the HBK-4G. The 4G has additional ballistic hardpoints in case you'd like to try dual-AC5s or something similar, while the 4H has additional energy hardpoints in case you'd like more energy weapons with a smaller ballistic.

For missiles+lasers, your options are the HBK-4J and the HBK-4SP. The 4SP has symmetrical hardpoints giving it more lasting firepower, and the 4SP has most of the energy hardpoints in the arms making it easier to aim the lasers. The 4J has the missile hardpoints in the hunch giving it a tighter missile spread, and the 4J has an extra energy hardpoint. The 4SP is generally preferred over the 4J but the 4J does have its strengths.

Edited by Metafox, 30 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#10 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

I personally like to mix it up with my variants - rather than building three similar mechs, I make them as different as feasible.

Maybe grab a -4SP or -4J and make a missile striker (twin LRM10s, TAG and some MLs). There's always the classic AC/20 build. Or you could make a twin UAC5 build, for a HBK-4G pocket dakka machine.

Either way, I like to take the opportunity to try new stuff. Worst thing that happens is that I don't like it and the mech sits and collects some dust once it's been through Elite.

Edited by Buckminster, 30 April 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Owning them all including the hero... it depends on what you like to do.

For example the Hunchback 4J is pretty good as a missile boat for SRMs or LRMs. Or you can leave out the missiles and load up on the hip mounted lasers/PPCs. No hunch to worry about and no one expects the hip PPC combo! Great for horizontal combat.

The 4SP can do LRMs and SRMs all the same, but has fewer energy hardpoints and focuses them all on the arms and head. This is better suited for vertical combat and good for tracking and shooting fast targets or precision aiming.

The 4H is basically a 4J with a ballistic weapon instead of a missile weapon. However that Hunch can only be reduced not removed. Only get one cannon, make it count.

The 4G, my favorite and the prime variant, has 3 ballistics and 3 energy for a well rounded and energy efficient build. My favorite things to do include AC/5 / AC/10 or LB-10 + 2 MGs + 3 SPL for a brawling menace that devastates most things it fights. Alternatively I've also done triple AC/2s for a ranged fire support/brawler and a few other fun rigs. PPCs + MGs is also great fun.

The Grid Iron has me bashing my head against the wall.

:D

One thing to note... is that even 100% stock can do something amazing. But I do NOT recommend doing it.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#12 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Koniving's summary is spot on and I'm in the same boat as him with the 4G being my favorite.

The 4G is really fun when you add the MGs into the mix. The LB10/MG combo is fun because its pretty light and still lets you go about 90kph. On the other hand slowing the mech down to the mid 70's allows you to load up an AC20 with a pair of MGs and a pair of Medium lasers. This build has been named the Can-Opener.

The Grid Iron has become my standard AC20+3MLas build since I didn't know what to do with it... Its also a very effective build when you understand how to use the mech.

#13 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I like my HB 4P if you drop one med laser you can put in a std. 275 engine and run at speeds up to 98 K with the % boost speed unlocked I can keep up with the lights and hit and run the big guys .

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yay! I'm not the only one to do it!

:D

Celebration!
Lordred's video of me getting 711 damage with 7 kills in the very first time I tried the LB/MG rig.
And my own version of the AC/20 MG can opener in this awesome little quicky of perfect pug and group cohesion. Dat support fire!

View Postdr lao, on 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

I like my HB 4P if you drop one med laser you can put in a std. 275 engine and run at speeds up to 98 K with the % boost speed unlocked I can keep up with the lights and hit and run the big guys .

Oh definitely much love for the 4P. (The original poster says he already has one and wanted suggestions for 2 more which is why no one's mentioning it).

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users