Stalker 5M - Worth Keeping?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

I admit I mostly got this as the cheapest way to elite my -3F and Misery. The double-AMS one seemed better, given my Stalker's tendency to eat LRMs, but I wasn't sure it was worth the c-bills (I already have a few XL255).

My question: is there any compelling reason to keep the 5M?

Is there any build that it does, that you can't do equally well with a -3F (which seems more "twisty" and the 6-4 hardpoint layout just seems more useful than 5-5)

It seems flat-out worse, but I'd hate to sell it and discover a really cool build I could have tried.

#2 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

I like the 5M for its single energy in the center torso. A single Pulse Laser or ER Large, or whatever, keeps you in the game once you get your easily removed side torsos stripped.

Plus, its the only Stalker with 5 missiles. 5 streaks or 5 lrm5s is fun.

Edited by Tastian, 30 April 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#3 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 30 April 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

I admit I mostly got this as the cheapest way to elite my -3F and Misery. The double-AMS one seemed better, given my Stalker's tendency to eat LRMs, but I wasn't sure it was worth the c-bills (I already have a few XL255).

My question: is there any compelling reason to keep the 5M?

Is there any build that it does, that you can't do equally well with a -3F (which seems more "twisty" and the 6-4 hardpoint layout just seems more useful than 5-5)

It seems flat-out worse, but I'd hate to sell it and discover a really cool build I could have tried.

I did exactly the same thing.

The only reason to really keep it would be for a very missile heavy build (5x SRM or 5x LRM 5 or similar) using the extra Missile hardpoint

That's about the only thing it does that is very different from the 3F.

I've kept my 5M because I don't really need the mechbay or the cbills, but I don't really have much reason to keep it either.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 April 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#4 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

3 6 slot missile bays with no doors is a nice thing. CT Energy slot is nice for zombie builds as well, which can happen easily in a stalker.

Then again, you've got a misery.

The 5S is great for long range support/LRM boats due to the dual AMS, but otherwise the 3F does everything it does.

#5 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

Yes the dual-AMS (5S?) might have a place, but the 5M is my problem stepchild....

*CT weapon... I've had heaps of side torsos shot out, true, but I always retain half my weapons... a single laser isn't that big a deal and a third larger laser = ghost heat
*5 missile launchers.... really not a huge advantage - I doubt I'd boat 5 streaks, SRMs = meh and you can always bump a -3F up to a LRM10 to equal the total missile volleys of 5xLRM5s, for example. I don't tend to "boat" missiles heavily on my Stalkers anyway as they seem to fare poorly in LRM duels

Edited by Dunning Kruger Effect, 30 April 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#6 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 30 April 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

*CT weapon... I've had heaps of side torsos shot out, true, but I always retain half my weapons... a single laser isn't that big a deal and a third larger laser = ghost heat

The Ghost Heat you generate for 3x LLAS is minimal.

Don't be afraid of "ghost heat" all by itself. It's just a scale that affects different weapons differently.

Here is the heat scale of each weapon group at smurfy's: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

Here's some math for you:

3x LLAS with Ghost Heat
Total Damage = 27
Total Heat = 24.53 (ghost heat added 3.53 heat)
Optimal Range = 450m

6x MLAS (no Ghost Heat)
Total Damage = 30
Total Heat = 24
Optimal Range = 270m

As you can see, they are roughly comparable in damage, and roughly comparable in heat and that's with the heat penalty being applied to LLAS.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 April 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#7 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have really been enjoying my STK-5M now that srms are playable again. IIRC, I run mine with x5 ASRM6, x2 LL, x1 MPL, STD 300 engine. I might have dropped one of the ASRM6s down to an ASRM4, but I don't recall.

#8 Dark Horse X

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 190 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Surprisingly, my 5M has become one of my more deadlier mechs. 2xPPC's, 2xLPLAS, 1xMLAS........... :rolleyes:

#9 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I really like my 5M. The way I have it set up makes it one of my most situational (if not the most situational) 'Mechs: I have it set up with 5 x ML and 5 x ASRM6, with a Standard 310 engine (giving it the Stalkers' top speed of 65 kph). Not much of a threat to anything beyond 270 meters, but within that range I've done amazing amount of damage to 'Mechs that have been unfortunate enough to be caught stationary in front of my cross hairs... :rolleyes:

#10 OldWateley

• Pip
  • Överste
  • Överste
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Mechbays are cheap. I regret not having all the mechs I sold off earlier in this game.

Edited by OldWateley, 01 May 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#11 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

i used to do
2 ppc
5 srm 6

twas fun back in open/closed beta lol

xl though

#12 Najek Yuma

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

I have a 5m setup that is one of my favorite mechs:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45b1ae932dfdbf5

You basically play as a 2xERPPC sniper for most of the match, but with enough firepower to do serious damage to anything that gets too close. Only 2 tons of SRM ammo, as those are your back up weapons designed to really only be used against assaults/heavies that get too close. You can't *quite* make this build work on a 3F, as the CT energy hardpoint means you can carry either an ML or a DHS more than the 3F. And since you play as a sniper first, the lesser torso twist doesn't make that much of an impact. Plus, I've got a 2xERLL, 2xLL, 3xSSRM2, BAP 3F build that I like, so owning both means I can switch back and forth whenever I feel like it without having to rejigger things in the terrible mechlab.

I, too, regret selling mechs because sooner or later the meta will change and you'll want to go back and try things. Especially with assaults, where you get back so much less than they initially cost.

Edited by Najek Yuma, 05 May 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 30 April 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

If this isn't a reason... then there is no reason.

#14 Aratan Aenor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 132 posts
  • LocationWhere Einstein wasn't looking...

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

This my baby right here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f990b3c8dc34c7

(I bought the 5M just to max out skills for my 5S and Misery, but now I spend more time riding in this 5M than the others.)

#15 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

1) Keep it if you have enough c-bills/MC.

2) Sell it if you are desperate to buy something/need Cbills

IMHO, I would keep all mechs and just grind

// end

Edited by ll eNeRgY ll, 20 May 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#16 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Don't sell the 5M. I bought one accidentally then fell in love.

Here is my build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a71e1d8dbdd6849

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

The 5M is a great variant. You can run 5 LL with something like 22 DHS, it can zombie better than just about every other STK, and with 5 missile hard points it will once again be one of the best brawlers in the game if PGI ever fixes SRMs. In the mean time, 5 streaks take care of all those little ******* Firestarters running around everywhere.

TL:DR
Keep it.

#18 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

I like the 5M as a SSRM platform. I also like the CT energy hardpoint (LPL is a great choice for it).

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users