Friendly fire?

65 replies to this topic

#1 Andrimner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Will it be on/off?

Will you be able to join games with and without it?

What about crashing full speed into a enemy/friendly mech, will that do damage to your own/enemy mech?

What will happen if a mech jumps on top of another mech?

#2 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

But all answers is obvious!

#3 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

should definitely be friendly fire. Prevents all the trigger-happy assault pilots from just spray and praying all the targets away. (Of course, with assault pilots they're apt to just blow their allies up as well)

#4 Andrimner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

View PostELH_Imp, on 17 November 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

But all answers is obvious!

It's not in the FAQ so we can't know for sure if it's is in or how it will work if it is.

Edited by Andrimner, 17 November 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#5 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Friendly fire should be in, IMHO.

#6 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostAndrimner, on 17 November 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

Will it be on/off?
Always on, in real war there is no setting to turn off friendly fire
Will you be able to join games with and without it?
No, it will always be on, watch where you are shooting, or that tin can you call a mech will be turned to scrape metal.
What about crashing full speed into a enemy/friendly mech, will that do damage to your own/enemy mech?
I damn hope so, got to watch and be aware of your enviroment
What will happen if a mech jumps on top of another mech?
DEATH FROM ABOVE!
Posted Image

Edited by CoffiNail, 17 November 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#7 Big Monkey

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Definately should be some friendly fire. I know getting my backside toasted because of my own stupidity would make me more aware of what's going on.

#8 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

I am all for the incorporation of friendly fire in all game modes permanently with no option to turn it off. The reasons?

1. It will make ALL MechWarriors (and not just the assault pilots) have to choose their targets carefully. Pay attention to the HUD and sensors to make sure you are not hitting a friendly with something regrettable.

2. Will hopefully create the need for coordination with your team. Now this might be the kicker but if you are working with friends through Mumble, Vent, TS2/3 or another VOIP option such as Steam-chat then this will help so you will watch your fire and have to work as a lance.

I see it as nothing but positive for a game trying to create true immersion with its game-play.

The only problem arising from this would be how to deal with griefers? Simple, if you down a friendly 100% then you are either given no pay / exp for your mission, ejection from the game, OR a vote option for the player killed to do one of the two options. This creates a possibility for fair trial IF it was a true accident. Who knows?

Point is that FF to be has always been a positive thing and there is no reason not to play with it enabled.

Edited by cattra kell, 17 November 2011 - 01:41 PM.

#9 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yes friendly fire and collision damage should be in.

Problems with griefers? Vote kick, and any friendly damage results in a penalty to the griefing account (on purpose or not, it doesn't matter. The damage has been done. Don't shoot your friends.) Penalty would be relative to the actual damage done by the fire, damaging the armor is a lot less of a problem than destroying a component or the whole of the mech.

If you end up killing a team mate, massive penalty.

#10 Dsi1

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

FF being off encourages horribly spammy gameplay, shoot first, no need to ask questions later because you can only hurt the enemy.

Having to deal with griefers is much less of an evil than having to deal with the vast majority of the playerbase being even more brainless.

Penalties: Damaging friendlies reduces what you earn after the match. (and not by a trivial amount)

Edited by Dsi1, 17 November 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#11 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Friendly fire needs to be managed.

Its one thing when you play on servers with admins and friends you know, like previous MW games, its very different in a MMO/Matchmaking type situation. Moreover, you can't simply ban a griefer or teamkiller. Its a free-to-play game, you just make a new account.

Friendly Fire not only added nothing to world of tanks, but in fact, detracted greatly due to griefing. They recently added a punishment system but it is still greatly inefficient and abusable, although, it does get rid of the worst cases.

I'm not saying "FF Should be off" but its not as simple as saying "Always on, all the time". You need a manage to deal with it. There has to be penalties for friendly fire beyond the meta-game.

#12 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

View Postcobrafive, on 17 November 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

I'm not saying "FF Should be off" but its not as simple as saying "Always on, all the time". You need a manage to deal with it. There has to be penalties for friendly fire beyond the meta-game.

Reflected fire?

#13 Bear Shaman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'd leave friendly fire on or have an optional in-game device to stop accidental FF. Might be tough with missiles, though.

Collision damage and DFA's are in, too, though having recently seen the Mechwarrior 4 pods at GenCon, I vote we leave the actual damage to the initial impact. Currently, it's possible to just continually rub up against a more damaged mech until it dies.

#14 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Leave friendly fire in untouched. It's a fact of life, especially if there is going to be an indirect fire model for LRM's. Or people are going to be firing long bursts of autocannon fire into a melee. It'll slow people down, make them think and add some realism.

#15 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

one option to handle freindly fire might be "IFF interlocks"... basically your mech knows which units are freindly due to IFF's. and if you aim at one of them the crosshairs get a red "X" through them to remind you it's not a target. if you still wanted to fire (like say, an enemy is very close and the IFF interlock would normally prevent the shot), you have to do something special to fire. say, pull/press the trigger and hold it, instead of just a regular pull/press. basically a quick version of the "do you wish to continue y/n" message...

#16 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Yes there should be friendly fire ...it was also in the other games so can't see em leaving it out.

#17 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

Friendly fire should definitely be in. How else am I gonna keep my lance-mates in line when they try to do something stupid? :)

#18 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postmithril coyote, on 17 November 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

one option to handle freindly fire might be "IFF interlocks"... basically your mech knows which units are freindly due to IFF's. and if you aim at one of them the crosshairs get a red "X" through them to remind you it's not a target. if you still wanted to fire (like say, an enemy is very close and the IFF interlock would normally prevent the shot), you have to do something special to fire. say, pull/press the trigger and hold it, instead of just a regular pull/press. basically a quick version of the "do you wish to continue y/n" message...

Hey, this actually has a gem of merit in it. The Devs have continually stated that they want to provide depth of experience without making the game inaccessbile. Why not have IFF targeting simply be a toggle? Choose on or off by default, and switch it on and off in-game as much as you like. Playing a snipermech and not able to ID that Hunchback at the end of the alley? IFF says it's your buddy. In a scrum with 4 enemy mechs and 1 ally? Toggle it off. Not confident in your ability to ID a target in a split second? Turn on Controlled Fire - Double trigger press to confirm fire against enemies when allies are danger close.

Edited by GreyGriffin, 18 November 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#19 B Billy

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

I really do hope there is friendly fire. That way if you end up with a rude loudmouthed **** on your team you can splash them and move on. I toke a great deal of pleasure in killing those kinds of people in BT3025. Friendly fire is never friendly, but sometimes it's deserved.

#20 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

View PostJ Echo, on 18 November 2011 - 03:40 AM, said:

I do not want to be hampered in my fighting ability against enemies because some hand-holding system is whining that friendlies are nearby. Nor do I want my allies to be hampered in their fighting ability against my enemies because some hand-holding system is whining that I am near my allies' line of fire.

That is why I suggest you be able to turn it off.

View PostB. Billy, on 18 November 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

I really do hope there is friendly fire. That way if you end up with a rude loudmouthed **** on your team you can splash them and move on. I toke a great deal of pleasure in killing those kinds of people in BT3025. Friendly fire is never friendly, but sometimes it's deserved.

The problem there is that when you open the grief door to Rude Loudmouths, you also open it to newbies asking honest questions that sound dumb to people who have been playing the game. Do you shoot those guys, too? I bet there are a ton of people who would.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users