• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

Friendly fire is a two-way street. There I am in My shiny Battelmaster-1G I have lined up a shot on an enemy Warhammer-3R and some dope in a Jenner-D runs through my field of fire! SPLASH! One PPC and 3 Med lasers later, the Jenner pilot learned why that was a bad idea.

It's things like this that invoke military discipline... Proper formation, overlapping fields of fire and communication. Follow these rules and you'll never be collateral damage.

#22 Nakir

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationItaly (Sicily)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

i want friendly fire to deject noobs crazy players!!! :)

..with xp and c-bills penality if it is possible

Edited by Nakir, 18 November 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#23 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

One word of advice, if you have FF then you also need a forgive button. FF happens and sometimes it really IS by accident.

#24 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

View PostJ Echo, on 18 November 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

In my experience, friendly fire usually is by accident.

Most of the time you are correct, unless you’re like this guy I just saw on BF3 shooting his teammates and vehicles at our spawn points... I'd punch him in the groin if I could lol! So if it is on, what is the punishment for doing so?

#25 Inappropriate849

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

Been playing FPSs since Wolfenstein 3D, and always with FF on, and wouldn't have it any other way. Griefers are very rare, and they are easily dealt with by server admin, reputation system, or auto-kick/ban after a certain # of TKs.

OTOH, by MWO years I'd imagine they could have IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) built into the mechs. But from purely gameplay POV FF on provides a much more civil and mature gaming experience, as well as encourages actually thinking before shooting.

And yeah, "sorry" command is necessary, or at least team text chat.

#26 xMarshallx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

The pilots that I played MPBT with would be EXTREMELY disappointed if friendly fire was turned off... err, maybe it would only be me who would be disappointed.. that is until I ticked them off by yelling at them too much and they blew me up.. which has happened.. on more than one occassion... Hey devs, lets turn friendly fire off!

#27 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

Friendly fire should not even be a consideration if it is included or not.

Teamkillers should be autobanned if within 5 minutes the damage they have done to teammates is greater than the damage they have done to enemies.

#28 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

Word is you are a "member" of a Merc Corp which is a "member" of a Great House. The other Warriors in the Merc Corp are "members" of your "Team".

If for any reason, while a battle for control of a Planet rages around you, you feel the urge to "SHOOT" a "Team member" on purpose, just hit the Eject button and save yourself the embarrassment that will be lavished upon you for decades to come by your "Team members".

Your a MechWarrior for crying out loud. The "Elite of the Elite". Act like one already.

FF in please. I would vote for IFF and a Green reticule prevents trigger pull. If your buddy is in the line of fire, ask him to move or re-situate yourself.

As for the Jenner running across your flied of Fire and getting raked, well that is his fault not yours as the trigger was already pulled before he got raked.

#29 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

FF is a part of a more realistic battlefield. Unfortunate when it happens by accident, and deplorable when on purpose. But good team tactics can limit the accidental aspect, and good server/match/tracking options can help limit the grief. But more importantly, a strong community operating with good team tactics, a game system actively encouraging that play in the rewards and penalties, and a little patience in this online world will basically make it 'boring' for the griefer and they'll weed them selves out.

However, I reserve the right to shoot my friend in the foot when the situation calls for it. Like if he refuses to buy us drinks. :)

edited for speelings. :D

Edited by Gravitas, 18 November 2011 - 07:51 AM.

#30 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

View PostGravitas, on 18 November 2011 - 07:51 AM, said:

However, I reserve the right to shoot my friend in the foot when the situation calls for it. Like if he refuses to buy us drinks. :)

First part is very true, if you ignore griefers then they usually duck out or go away for a bit but on the other side I do love griefing teams on EVE online so I wouldn't mind seeing some Merc corps come out of it.

Now the part about the right to shoot your friend... I agree, another good reason is if they are being cowards on the battlefield anD TRY TO FLEE FROM MOTHER COUNTRY FATE INSTEAD OF FACING DEATH WITH PRIDE! HERESY, HERESY EVERYWHERE! *blam*

No but seriously... cowardly dogs shall be shot, no exceptions.

Signed:
The True Commissar
Cattra Kell

#31 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

I hope that friendly fire is in, imo.
Would give an additional dynamic with friendly TSM-using 'Mechs in combination with flamer-equipped 'Mechs.

#32 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Leave it in please. And oh a hotkey for "Sorry", that's about it.

Having said that, MWO better have a good tutorial, so those who are unfamiliar with BT/MW will know it is a bad idea to shoot a blue :)

#33 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

This should be a poll, and yes to FF.

Just make Griefing extremely punitive (cost in xp/cbills/honor/whatever) and then make em as a different color in game so ppl know they are open season without penalty.

done.

#34 Tekkiller

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Postcobrafive, on 17 November 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

Friendly Fire not only added nothing to world of tanks, but in fact, detracted greatly due to griefing. They recently added a punishment system but it is still greatly inefficient and abusable, although, it does get rid of the worst cases.

Uhm, friendly fire and its implications is one of the few positive factors in WoT that gives the combat depth. If necessary, up the penalty, but don't remove FF.

#35 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

FF should be in, thats one of the things that should not be lacking in any game IMHO.

Forces people to actually look what they are shooting at.

#36 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I think that the IFF should identify friend or foe on radar when a radar signal is received and prevent the ability to get a missile lock on your teammates, but other than that there should be no "safety".

And if a friendly is running passive radar, well they'd better hope that their paint scheme is easy enough to recognize.

#37 Gorthaur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

i can't say that i have played a mechwarrior related game that didn't have friendly fire.

#38 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Havoc has a point with regard to visual ID - when you have a scratch team put together for the match - is there going to be a chance to get together before play starts to sort out a few details and get an idea of their paint schemes etc for when they are running on passive? Or will the Hud always identify your teammates?

#39 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 18 November 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

Word is you are a "member" of a Merc Corp which is a "member" of a Great House. The other Warriors in the Merc Corp are "members" of your "Team".

If for any reason, while a battle for control of a Planet rages around you, you feel the urge to "SHOOT" a "Team member" on purpose, just hit the Eject button and save yourself the embarrassment that will be lavished upon you for decades to come by your "Team members".

Your a MechWarrior for crying out loud. The "Elite of the Elite". Act like one already.

FF in please. I would vote for IFF and a Green reticule prevents trigger pull. If your buddy is in the line of fire, ask him to move or re-situate yourself.

As for the Jenner running across your flied of Fire and getting raked, well that is his fault not yours as the trigger was already pulled before he got raked.

Every time I have a bad day- which can be quite often- I'm going to create a new account from a free email site, start as an assault-class mechwarrior, and jump into as many games as I can teamkilling as much as possible.

And also no, I won't hit my eject button because you don't like me.

How does the system deal with me? Saying that I should RP as a merc isn't really a good counter to griefing.

View PostTekkiller, on 18 November 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Uhm, friendly fire and its implications is one of the few positive factors in WoT that gives the combat depth. If necessary, up the penalty, but don't remove FF.

Read my whole post. My exact words were not to remove FF, but it needs a bigger penalty then what WoT does. So... yes? I also disagree that FF gives WoT depth, at least when I played which granted was a while ago, but I guess its opinion (Also I don't play arty).

I think FF should be in of course, certainly in a sim game like this. But like I said in my original post, it needs to be managed. Mechwarrior Online isn't like previous Mechwarriors. There are no server admins, and you won't be playing mostly with people you know, or have played with before, and maybe, will play with again. A ban isn't that big a deal on a young account since you just make a new one. For that reason also, simply reducing a players income of credits/loot/experience doesn't stop griefing either (Like I said, I'd just make a new account anyway)

As for actual suggestions: If you suffer an unforgiven FF penalty (Say doing over a certain threshold of damage, or getting a friendly kill) then you can't join another match for 15 minutes. If you want to be a dedicated griefer you'd need to rotate accounts, which could be easily tracked and is far more work then most trolls are willing to put in for cheap laughs (Which should be the goal of any system really- you can't plug all the holes but you can make it more trouble then its worth). This is what a lot of MOBA games or F2P FPSs do for quitting matches early, which disrupts the game as much as intentional team killing.

Damage reflection is a viable system as well, but only after a point. For example, after a threshold of a certain amount of friendly fire, THEN damage reflection kicks in, and any hits you put on a friendly hurts you instead. Straight damage reflection I feel diminishes the feeling of FF in the first place.

I know intentional team fire wasn't really a big deal in previous MW games, and indeed not many online games at all, UNTIL they go free to play. Its a huge deal in F2P games.

#40 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Any time you remove a limitation, especially one that can prove to be detrimental to the gaming experience, simply shows how weak and unskilled you are. The more things set against you that you rise up and overcome, the greater you are.

Sure, it's just a game--but alot of people take gaming seriously, myself included. Heat should be ON; limited ammunition should be ON; forced first-person should be ON, and friendly fire should be ON.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users