Star Citizen

Gameplay

1443 replies to this topic

#1041 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Dude takes damage and ejects... after a little EVA he hooks a passing enemy fighter with his mag boots

...I think we're in no danger of 'sacrificing fun for realism' ^_^ ...besides, many backers jumped onboard because this is the first game to come along that doesn't intend to cater to the lowest common denominator and implement hokey kbm controls like most publishers and their moneymen are comfortable with like you find in like every other game out there.

While always a lurking possibility, dumbing it down to 'broaden the appeal' does not appear to be on the agenda in the verse... and I think the long term strategy is to just be awesome. Then the game sells itself without having to resort to gimmicks to sustain it.

#1042 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

View Post116th NorskaFresh, on 07 June 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

Game is really good fun. Just flew my hornet to level 5.

I think this is really tooo early to say..
We haven't seen anything yet.... a huge list of things to be done before they reach PU...
I will probably be statisfied once we have Squadron 42 in our hands..... PU is just extra to make the game last 10+ years.

#1043 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

for some reason, my joystick roll is for actual rolling instead of yaw in this game, which makes it highly inefficient for fighting in space. I'll have to wait for customization to really use it.

And LOL at people who want "WWII air combat where roll is most important"

You don't need to ******* roll in space. /facepalm

#1044 Bosie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

I've both, but Elite has a much better flight model.

#1045 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostBosie, on 07 June 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I've both, but Elite has a much better flight model.

how? In your video, the pilot can barely use decoupled mode. Believe me, I've been able to pull out stuff like in Elite by using decoupled mode. I killed by surprise an enemy who kept tailing me. I entered decoupled mode, did a complete loop and was going backwards but facing my enemy, I killed him in seconds.

Plus, the damage model (which, funny enough, no one talks about) is a hundred times more complex than E:D.

Look, I'm not saying Elite is bad, but for a guy like me who loves having complex damage models, SC is where it's at and ED is still a 90s game.

Plus, we're comparing a beta to an alpha. Yes, they both had the same dev time, but SC has a lot of stuff under the hood that ED doesn't and no one pays attention to that.

Edited by Sybreed, 07 June 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#1046 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostSybreed, on 07 June 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

how? In your video, the pilot can barely use decoupled mode. Believe me, I've been able to pull out stuff like in Elite by using decoupled mode. I killed by surprise an enemy who kept tailing me. I entered decoupled mode, did a complete loop and was going backwards but facing my enemy, I killed him in seconds.

Plus, the damage model (which, funny enough, no one talks about) is a hundred times more complex than E:D.

Look, I'm not saying Elite is bad, but for a guy like me who loves having complex damage models, SC is where it's at and ED is still a 90s game.

Plus, we're comparing a beta to an alpha. Yes, they both had the same dev time, but SC has a lot of stuff under the hood that ED doesn't and no one pays attention to that.

You can have all the "complex" damage models you want: the simple fact remains that Star Citizen's crafts control like turrets, which, disappointingly, is par for the course when it comes to a spaceflight game made by Chris Roberts.

I've played Wing Commander from the first game to the last, and that lame-duck "combat" has been a fixture. What a waste.

Edited by Master Maniac, 07 June 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#1047 Bosie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostSybreed, on 07 June 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

There's an interview with DB about the damage model in Elite and how everything inside the ship can be broken. You will also be able to board ships and fight, FPS style, in Elite.

I've put as much money into one game as the other, and at this time Elite is better and seems to have a greater understanding of what it wants to be and where it wants to go.

#1048 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostBosie, on 07 June 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

...and at this time Elite is better and seems to have a greater understanding of what it wants to be and where it wants to go.

But can I land on planets while listening to badly-butchered MIDIfications of popular classical music? No? I didn't think so. Not Elite! :-p

But, seriously, I think the Star Citizen hype train is going to be painfully derailed. What little I've seen of both leads me to share your conclusion - so far, Elite seems to be the better game.

Edited by Master Maniac, 07 June 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#1049 Bosie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 07 June 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

But can I land on planets while listening to badly-butchered MIDIfications of popular classical music? No? I didn't think so. Not Elite! :-p

#1050 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostBosie, on 07 June 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yep. That's still more impressive than anything I've seen come from the games industry in the last decade. I wish I had gotten into Elite when I was younger, preferably a kid. The magic would have been even more overwhelming than it is today, and that's saying something.

There's something truly special about parking yourself on a planet, accelerating time, and watching the sun race from one side of the horizon to the other in part of a perfectly-handled simulation. Mind-busting beauty.

I wonder if they'll be able to pull that off in Dangerous.

#1051 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Am I the only one who can't even play? I'm not sure if I missed something but my lowest-tier Aurora could not even start.

#1052 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 07 June 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Am I the only one who can't even play? I'm not sure if I missed something but my lowest-tier Aurora could not even start.

You have the ship and game package, or just the ship? When you log in now, you should be in the deluxe hangar.

#1053 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 07 June 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Checklist time:

Do you have alpha access?
Did you put on "the helmet"? (located to the left of the spawn, required)
Did you attempt to pilot a DFM-compliant ship?

ONLY the DFM-compliant 'trainer' variant can be flown in the DFM, if you have alpha access and have a ship, you are given a "loaner" ship, so you should have an "extra" aurora in the hangar. you can only fly the "extra" one.

#1054 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostHeffay, on 07 June 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

You have the ship and game package, or just the ship? When you log in now, you should be in the deluxe hangar.

I do...and it is indeed the deluxe hanger.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Checklist time:

Do you have alpha access?
Did you put on "the helmet"? (located to the left of the spawn, required)
Did you attempt to pilot a DFM-compliant ship?

ONLY the DFM-compliant 'trainer' variant can be flown in the DFM, if you have alpha access and have a ship, you are given a "loaner" ship, so you should have an "extra" aurora in the hangar. you can only fly the "extra" one.

What? There's a helmet? :P

There's indeed a grey Aurora in the hanger....

*sigh*screw this I'll just not look at SC till something more stable comes out...it's not like my laptop can handle an unoptimized CryEngine game anyway right now.

#1055 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Yes, there's a helmet. Walk up to it and press F. Then you can pilot a DFM-compliant trainer variant into the free flight mode / vanduul swarm mode.

#1056 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

View PostSybreed, on 07 June 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

for some reason, my joystick roll is for actual rolling instead of yaw in this game, which makes it highly inefficient for fighting in space. I'll have to wait for customization to really use it.

Why are people complaining about something that can be done once key rebinding is in ???
this why i bought the logitech 3d joystick which works like my old microsoft 3d joystick... I have access to yaw if i need it..

#1057 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

View PostSybreed, on 07 June 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I knew it. Those in-atmosphere flight evangelists would come, trying to make the flight model feel like in an actual plane. News flash: THERE'S NO AIR IN SPACE!

That's the thing - except for price tag - that kept me from getting into ED. I absolutely adore the artistic direction of ED, but look, if I wanna play a flight sim with an in-atmosphere flight model I would go and play DCS. And if you say the control of SC is not hardcore enough, how about, I dunno, you go try to control all 12 vector engines yourself?

Besides, isn't the whole "space turret" control scheme the default controlling setup in, like, ALL other space sims? (except for EVE of course)

Edited by Helmstif, 08 June 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#1058 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 June 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

Yes, there's a helmet. Walk up to it and press F. Then you can pilot a DFM-compliant trainer variant into the free flight mode / vanduul swarm mode.

There's a pedestal to one side or the other as you enter the hangar right at the door.

#1059 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostShinVector, on 07 June 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

Why are people complaining about something that can be done once key rebinding is in ???
this why i bought the logitech 3d joystick which works like my old microsoft 3d joystick... I have access to yaw if i need it..

Reading comprehension FTW? I'll copy/paste and bold it so you can pay attention to the keywords:

"for some reason, my joystick roll is for actual rolling instead of yaw in this game, which makes it highly inefficient for fighting in space. I'll have to wait for customization to really use it."

and this sounded like complaining to you? I don't know, from my POV it sounded like plain old citing of facts. I didn't complain, I just said the current keybindings don't let me use my joystick efficiently and I'll have to wait for SC to fix AND I'M TOTALLY FINE WITH IT CONSIDERING IT'S A PRE ALPHA.

View PostHelmstif, on 08 June 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

I knew it. Those in-atmosphere flight evangelists would come, trying to make the flight model feel like in an actual plane. News flash: THERE'S NO AIR IN SPACE!

That's the thing - except for price tag - that kept me from getting into ED. I absolutely adore the artistic direction of ED, but look, if I wanna play a flight sim with an in-atmosphere flight model I would go and play DCS. And if you say the control of SC is not hardcore enough, how about, I dunno, you go try to control all 12 vector engines yourself?

Besides, isn't the whole "space turret" control scheme the default controlling setup in, like, ALL other space sims? (except for EVE of course)

yup, that's pretty sad, and they seem to be making a pretty big portion of the playerbase.

View PostMaster Maniac, on 07 June 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

You can have all the "complex" damage models you want: the simple fact remains that Star Citizen's crafts control like turrets, which, disappointingly, is par for the course when it comes to a spaceflight game made by Chris Roberts.

I've played Wing Commander from the first game to the last, and that lame-duck "combat" has been a fixture. What a waste.

seems to me that the ships behave how they should in a vacuum like in space, but a dev said they're still working in the flight model.

#1060 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostSybreed, on 09 June 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Reading comprehension FTW? I'll copy/paste and bold it so you can pay attention to the keywords:

"for some reason, my joystick roll is for actual rolling instead of yaw in this game, which makes it highly inefficient for fighting in space. I'll have to wait for customization to really use it."

and this sounded like complaining to you? I don't know, from my POV it sounded like plain old citing of facts. I didn't complain, I just said the current keybindings don't let me use my joystick efficiently and I'll have to wait for SC to fix AND I'M TOTALLY FINE WITH IT CONSIDERING IT'S A PRE ALPHA.

My bad on the last bit which I didn't see.
It's yer first line that got me confused there... X axis has always been roll or some form of it in filght/space sims.
Stating the obvious sounded like a complaint...
On the other had.. wonders whether they would make the yaw pitch rate as fast a roll.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users