Gameplay

1443 replies to this topic

#1061 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostShinVector, on 09 June 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

My bad on the last bit which I didn't see.
It's yer first line that got me confused there... X axis has always been roll or some form of it in filght/space sims.
Stating the obvious sounded like a complaint...
On the other had.. wonders whether they would make the yaw pitch rate as fast a roll.

from what I read, and I could be wrong, other joysticks have had their presets so the x axis is for Yaw and the other for roll, which is why I made that post in the first place. Again, I could be wrong.

#1062 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Greetings all,

For the joystick and the axis being identified 'not as you want them'.

- Can you change the stick axis outside the game to work inside?
- Do you have a profile manager program for the stick?
- If so, set up the stick with the axis where you want them and link or start that profile set just for Star Citizen.

Most sticks have some form of button or axis program for setting up specific control actions for specific games.

9erRed

#1063 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

There is also a guide on how to switch the axis or the button layout on the RSI forums.
https://forums.rober...troller-mapping

#1064 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Post9erRed, on 09 June 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Greetings all,

For the joystick and the axis being identified 'not as you want them'.

- Can you change the stick axis outside the game to work inside?
- Do you have a profile manager program for the stick?
- If so, set up the stick with the axis where you want them and link or start that profile set just for Star Citizen.

Most sticks have some form of button or axis program for setting up specific control actions for specific games.

9erRed

This posts workarounds for rebinding for some joysticks here:
https://robertsspace...r-V08-Thank-You
I am not sure whether it helps...

Else have to wait till they get the ability to rebind in.

Edit: Opps.. Ego's link seems to be much more comprehensive.

Edited by ShinVector, 09 June 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#1065 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Got my multi-player invite, anyone else get thiers yet?

#1066 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, recieved it not to long ago. I'll test it out tomorrow.
(about 12 to 14 hours from now, there'll be a chance to meet me)

From their announcement

UPDATE: Tests are going well and we have upped the number of invitees to the first 2,477 Citizens (plus the original testers)! We do not expect to add any additional slots until after the weekend.

That's 2,727 users plus the developers so far. Not to many! So the chance to run into me would be relativ high if you are online at the same time. <_<

Edited by Egomane, 13 June 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#1067 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

haven't received the MP invite yet

#1068 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostEgomane, on 13 June 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yeah, recieved it not to long ago. I'll test it out tomorrow.
(about 12 to 14 hours from now, there'll be a chance to meet me)

From their announcement

That's 2,727 users plus the developers so far. Not to many! So the chance to run into me would be relativ high if you are online at the same time. <_<

Is there a ladder or scoreboard or anything like that? I mean, keep us informed! I expect a full rundown of all the nitty gritty details, at least until they get into the 170,000 player range.... :D

#1069 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'll update you, as soon as possible.
At the moment I'm still patching, because I haven't done so, since they last updated the client yesterday.

After that I'm going to bed. When I had breakfast and did a little bit of house chores, I'll give it a spin. <_<

#1070 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostEgomane, on 13 June 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'll update you, as soon as possible.
At the moment I'm still patching, because I haven't done so, since they last updated the client yesterday.

After that I'm going to bed. When I had breakfast and did a little bit of house chores, I'll give it a spin. :D

Get a vid as well please :D

I'm gonna be in fairly soon i guess but can't wait to read inmpressions on how it feels <_< I thoughroughly enjoyed single player so far and love the flight model they've come up with!

#1071 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

No promise on the video. I usually don't do that stuff.

Should I end up making one, I'll link it here of course.

#1072 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

There's a few videos online of the multiplayer game going on right now. Looks interesting.

#1073 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:54 AM

So I tested it the last 30 minutes and I have to say that it needs some serious tweaking.

Spawn - lock on target with missle - fire missle - finish target off with second missle or guns - lose engine and gun due to a second player targeting you with a missle or two - (maybe) fire another missle at a second target - die - respawn

There isn't much with dogfighting currently and the fact that my hornet almost always loses all weapons (except missles) and engine after a hit (no matter how serious) doesn't make it fun.

#1074 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostEgomane, on 14 June 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

So I tested it the last 30 minutes and I have to say that it needs some serious tweaking.

Spawn - lock on target with missle - fire missle - finish target off with second missle or guns - lose engine and gun due to a second player targeting you with a missle or two - (maybe) fire another missle at a second target - die - respawn

There isn't much with dogfighting currently and the fact that my hornet almost always loses all weapons (except missles) and engine after a hit (no matter how serious) doesn't make it fun.

yeah, ships are a bit weak once their shields are gone. They'll need to tweak how tough they are sans shield. As for the missiles, they're a bit too strong IMO and too hard to evade without CMs. They work like they do in X3 and I never really liked them there either. Missiles meant your doom as soon as you were in something smaller than a Corvette.

#1075 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

I think this is less about shieldless ships (rotating facings does help a little) than it is about the completely OP missiles. Granted, ships should have *some* durability, at least to non-warhead weapons, when shields go down, but remove missiles and the game would feel a lot more balanced just from that. I'm certainly not suggesting that be done, but missiles need serious re-balancing, if not rethinking altogether.

Part of the problem is the reacquisition mechanism. You can dodge missiles all day long, but they will swing back and hit if you don't CM successfully. That needs to be axed. Additionally, missiles could be made a little slower and/or more sensitive to player velocity at launch.

Another option might be to change the behavior of shield facings and interaction between shields and missiles. For instance, if a missile was typically merely strong enough to knock out a decently healthy shield facing with no hull damage, but after a short delay (maybe .5-1s?) the shields reconfigured to fill any hole that came about by sucking power from the other facings, that would make ships seem a lot more durable, but not make them invincible to concentrated fire on a single facing, because that delay would still mean a fair amount of damaging weapons fire could bleed through during that period if, say, they were being sprayed by a Mantis or an M4A, but it would be a more easily regulated game mechanic at that point. Consecutive missile strikes would at that point not be a god-weapon insta-kill, because shields would constantly shift power to cover the depleted facing, so each missle, alone, would only have the effect of draining the overall shield grid, unless two were fired in very quick succession (say, from two players at once).

I'm not saying any particular fix should necessarily be implemented, but fundamental game mechanics need to be rethought some, I think, and that's probably what I'd do, were I them. Ships have lots of durability; it just gets poorly distributed :)

Edited by Catamount, 16 June 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#1076 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

Oh... the durability of the Hornet isn't bad. Normaly after a missle hit, I'd have some yellow or orange damage somewhere. In seldom cases a red or destroyed area.

The problem for me currently is, that it instantly takes out my engine (sometimes including maneuvering thrusters) and my exterior weapons. One hit and I am out. From the looks of it, because of minor damage.

If the same amount of damage happens in the Vanduul Swarm I can get going for a long time, with nearly no restrictions on firepower or maneuverability. In the Arena Commander my ship is instantly crippled.

That is what is bugging me currently. But yes, the game also needs some adjustments in regards to the missle mechanics. As does the balance overall. But being in the early development stage it is in, those things were to be expected.

#1077 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

Well like I said, missile bleedthrough is a big problem. There may be a component durability glitch (does anything but the Hornet behave like that?) or something, but imo one way or the other, the game will never be balanced as long as a tracking weapon can nuke a healthy shield facing and do hull damage in one shot, and badly nerfing tracking would introduce new problems. Hull strength could be massively buffed, but going far enough to fix missiles then hits all weapons really hard, many of which (meaning everything other than like the Mantis GT220 and Omnisky weapons) are already pretty underpowered.

I think just limiting the amount by which we can alpha strike through a shield facing would fix these problems, and fix them simply without breaking ten other things.

Edited by Catamount, 16 June 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#1078 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

In case you missed it:

#1079 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 16 June 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

In case you missed it:

Lol.. Just realise the Freelancer reminds me of the Firefly.

#1080 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ughhhh.... This is going to take a quite bit of reading and studying...
Star Citizen... Not exactly a game for kiddies...

;)

https://robertsspace...-Input-Controls

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook