• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostEglar, on 30 May 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

in all honesty in our last game on River City the strikes just fulfilled their intended purpose by striking down a fortified position.

Totally understand that and have tons of respect for you guys. The end of the match , once you cracked their defense, was very good (and brutal). I would not be surprised, though, if well over half of your team's total damage was caused by air/arty strikes, and that is an unfortunate thing about the tournament balance right now.

Seismic was so powerful that pretty much everyone took it, so they nerfed it, yet arty/air is so powerful currently that a lot of people take TWO, and that is despite the per-use cost. While I like the upcoming changes to strikes, I don't think they will be enough to change that situation.

Edit: oh, and btw, it was very funny to watch Heimdelight shoot people through that gap in the buildings for what seemed like an eternity before they finally figured out what was hitting them...

Edited by Cimarb, 30 May 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#842 Shikata nai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Balancing the Strikes isn't as easy as one might think. They should punish clumped up and camping people, what they do perfectly - the main issue are those lucky headshots which need to be adressed. Everything else is fine.

House of (Strikes) Lords weren't the only one throwing masses of airstrikes in this game btw, they just utilized them better. :)

#843 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostEglar, on 30 May 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

in all honesty in our last game on River City the strikes just fulfilled their intended purpose by striking down a fortified position.

In all honesty you and other Teams played "Artillery Duell Online"!

#844 Shikata nai

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 30 May 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

In all honesty you and other Teams played "Artillery Duell Online"!

What do you expect when the opponent Team is digging in behind their turrets? Its obviously the right choice to weaken them with Strikes due to their static positions. Everything else would be just dumb.

#845 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

I agree, the game mechanics and the game mode pretty much force a Team to play it that way.

#846 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

I have nothing against long, drawn out games and enjoyed watching the streams. If someone *cough*paul*cough* spent some time watching the tape, re-watching it, taking notes, thinking, that someone might learn something about weapon's balancing.

As for the strikes... *sigh* (less damage per shell, more shells over a longer duration, require COMMAND CONSOLE)

Anyway, looking forward to the semi's!!!

#847 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Actually just watched some of the footage from two of the tournaments. 228 vs Smoke Jaguar and 228 vs. Death Meta, and I have to say the former was a complete and utter snooze. I don't see how you guys play like this, honestly. I don't in any way see how the game can be fun for any of you, but whatever floats your boat. At least the latter match was somewhat interesting towards the end when it turned into an all out brawl, which was extremely entertaining to watch, thought would have been more interesting if a multitude of weapon systems were utilized.

I hope PGi does something about this, and gathers a ton of data from the tournament (since most companies do gather a ton of data from tournaments usually and do HUGE sweeping changes there after, see Dota 2). I'm glad my elo isn't quite high enough to where I have to play with these people, though I have played against a few...

#848 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostLachesis Muta, on 30 May 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

Balancing the Strikes isn't as easy as one might think. They should punish clumped up and camping people, what they do perfectly - the main issue are those lucky headshots which need to be adressed. Everything else is fine.

House of (Strikes) Lords weren't the only one throwing masses of airstrikes in this game btw, they just utilized them better. ;)

Definitely, which is why I used them as the example. They used them so much that it was obvious at least some of them had brought more than one per mech.

The fight after the turtles finally engaged was a good one, and the whole match was interesting to watch because you could feel the tension of "who was going to break first", unlike a couple of the earlier matches were the commentators were having to explore the map just to have topics to talk about...

View PostJonathan Paine, on 30 May 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

I have nothing against long, drawn out games and enjoyed watching the streams. If someone *cough*paul*cough* spent some time watching the tape, re-watching it, taking notes, thinking, that someone might learn something about weapon's balancing.

As for the strikes... *sigh* (less damage per shell, more shells over a longer duration, require COMMAND CONSOLE)

Anyway, looking forward to the semi's!!!

I know Paul was present during the first round on at least one occasion, because he posted a couple times in the chat, but hopefully they are lurking in the background the whole time and taking notes like you suggest - it would be the smart, professional thing to be doing, even if they aren't being vocal the whole time.

The Command Console idea is BRILLIANT, btw. That would make the equipment useful, as well as limit the number that were brought to most matches. They could even make the Command Console required for UAV as well.

#849 Zivko

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

does anyone know what time the matches are tonight?

#850 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

7:30 EST, which means....an hour ago.

#851 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Intense matches, now for a good final match and congratulation to all Teams!

#852 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Congrats from the German Front to the Winning Teams...

May at Least 1 German Player take the Victory to us ;) *hints at Eglar*

#853 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Fantastic tourney thus far. I think it has shown the narrow nature of the metagame at the very top level of play, but weapon balance passes have already been announced so we'll see how the next one plays out.

#854 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Epic matches today guys, no sitting and camping arty games and great play all round!

Good games!

Also especially nice job to 228th making an awesome showing all throughout this tournament! I think my heart beat so fast in our match it almost stopped lol!

#855 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostWispsy, on 30 May 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Epic matches today guys, no sitting and camping arty games and great play all round!

Good games!

Also especially nice job to 228th making an awesome showing all throughout this tournament! I think my heart beat so fast in our match it almost stopped lol!

That was quite an intense match to watch, so I can't imagine how it was to play it. Very well done, Wispsy. I was rooting against you guys, cause I like the underdogs, but you did amazing and pulled it off - well done.

#856 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Oh my god, steel jags vs LÖRDS in the finals.

Oh my god, who would have seen that coming.

And LORDS won!? Unthinkable! I am collecting all the bet money now. Thank you for betting against me.

ggclose

#857 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Outstanding matches tonight! All 3 had me on the edge of my seat. Well done HOL!!!

Posted Image

#858 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 May 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Oh my god, steel jags vs LÖRDS in the finals.

Oh my god, who would have seen that coming.

And LORDS won!? Unthinkable! I am collecting all the bet money now. Thank you for betting against me.

ggclose

OMG!

Spoiler

Edited by wanderer, 30 May 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#859 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postwanderer, on 30 May 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

OMG!

Spoiler

That being said, 228th gave an AMAZING try against HoL in that semi-final. They were ONE mech away... awesome match.

#860 Deadfire

Snow Summoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 May 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

That being said, 228th gave an AMAZING try against HoL in that semi-final. They were ONE mech away... awesome match.

I can't speak for all my guys, but It really was an Amazing game, and with it so close everyone is pushing to do that much better for what ever the next matches will be.

and we came much closer then SJR did :ph34r: ( I kid of course, SJR played awesomely as well, I will never discount that)

Congrats HoL, you have done what you set out to do, on the first most public of stages. Enjoy it, you earned it. Don't think this is it though, remember however how ggclose it was for the next one. :)

----

I have to say though that it almost feels better to do as well as we did vice what the chat, and various people thought. Seems lots of people out there didn't think we had any sort of chance and any stage of this entire thing. All it did was just made us smile more, to prove them so wrong in their convictions. I hope some other teams have seen this to show not to give in to the hate and the negitive, and that the impossible is possible as long as you have the will and zeal to do it.

Edited by Deadfire, 30 May 2014 - 10:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users