#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Stuck in a ditch?
Hit a pebble with the strength of a mountain?
Fell off the edge of the Earth?
Ran into an invisible wall?
Weapons strike the air around your cover?

In an effort to perform a total recall and regression on both new and old cases of collision mapping issues, as well as to help identify the most serious offenders: We are requesting all players begin a renewed effort to help us identify all such issues on our maps.

If you have already responded to our previous Patch-specific Collision feedback threads, please double check any collision issues in today's version of the game before reporting them again here! Thanks for your understanding!

Please attempt to respond to the following concerns in your responses:
  • The kind of collision issue. (What happened?)
  • The map affected.
  • The game mode used.
  • The grid tile affected.
  • The Mech and/or weapon used to achieve the collision issue.
  • A screen or video capture to help locate the bug.

#2 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

I keep colliding with other mechs but nothing happens!?!

Is this a bug?

#3 nimdabew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

#4 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

It's not in the format requested, but like, every building. All of them. You really gotta stick your face out there to be sure you're actually going to shoot around the corner and not be stopped by the invisible hit box 10 inches away from the edge of the building you see. Maybe that's intentional, I dunno.

#5 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 08 May 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

It's not in the format requested, but like, every building. All of them. You really gotta stick your face out there to be sure you're actually going to shoot around the corner and not be stopped by the invisible hit box 10 inches away from the edge of the building you see. Maybe that's intentional, I dunno.

Yea, this has been a problem for the entire lifetime of this game, as far as I know. If it is intentional, that is absolutley asinine. it is incredibly annoying constantly having shots blocked by that invisible barrier around all objects.

If you want a particularly bad example, the pillars supporting that structure in the center of HPG manifold (on the top part) have massive invisible walls around them. I have to aim almost an inch on my monitor to the sides of them for my shots to go through :)

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 07 May 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

I keep colliding with other mechs but nothing happens!?!

Is this a bug?

Well, that's not true. Look at the 3rd in-game clip in this video:

DFA totally exists in the game!

#7 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

I don't know exactly what led to this happening, as I wasn't piloting this mech, but a lancemate of mine got a weird bug in the side entrance to the tunnel on crimson strait, as you can see here.

Oh, and I'll second the fact that the terrain hitboxes vs. terrain graphics are terrible. For every map. I feel like Canyon network is particularly bad, though.

#8 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Tree's and Buildings too...My 100 ton Battlemech bounce's off of them with no damage, how is that possible??? How about fixing that too while your at the multitude of other issues in the PGI universe. :)

#9 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 07 May 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

How do I post screenshots on the forums? I got stuck half out of world on river city...

#10 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:58 AM

Forest Colony - Skirmish - Griffin 3M. Used jump jets to leap over the rock bridge at b4 before the cave entrance, seems I didn't clear it fully and got stuck, basically bunny-hopping for the almost the entire match, no lower torso movement, jump jets didn't recharge, but upper torso and weapons worked fine. No change moving to 3PV or powering down. POS: 2517.0 2319.2 219.8

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Got stuck on top of the palace building on River City

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXphY9j

Posted ImageScreenShot0011

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 10 May 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#12 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

View Postand zero, on 08 May 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

If you want a particularly bad example, the pillars supporting that structure in the center of HPG manifold (on the top part) have massive invisible walls around them. I have to aim almost an inch on my monitor to the sides of them for my shots to go through :P

I experienced this yesterday. 9 out of 10 times the invisible walls around the pillars blocked my shots even though I had clear LOS to entire enemy 'mechs (not just parts of them) on the other side less than 100 meters away.

View PostKisumiKitsune, on 10 May 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

If you want an easy one to look at first, try the pylons supporting the radar dish in HPG manifold. It's a huge fighting area, but the collision boxes are almost an entire 'mech's length away from the visible edges.

I can definitely verify this.

#13 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostKisumiKitsune, on 12 May 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

Rounds hitting invisible geometry.
  • The map affected.
Forest Colony
B3, D2
AC 20
At 1:40, and 5:07

Quality is a bit iffy, but I'm rusty with youtube compression finicking. The video's HD in the raw form, and played well after being converted to .mp4, but on uploading it turned it to potato. I'm recording nearly every match now, kept or discarded at the end of each round as suited. I may be coming up with a lot of videos displaying collision derpery.

Hi ... I watched your video and I am not sure that a geometry issue is to blame in either case.

The problem I think is arm mounted weaponry and weapon convergence. Not necessarily terrain collision.

1) At 1:40 your firing reticle is just barely above the ridge line.
There are three factors in this case:

a ) Your AC20 is arm mounted though the arms are mounted high I don't know the relative position of the gun barrel compared to the cockpit viewpoint. If the barrel is any lower than the view then the path of the projectile will track lower than your cockpit view and could hit the ridgeline even though it looks clear from the cockpit

b ) There are two aiming reticles - the cross for the torso weapons and the circle for the arm ones. At the moment you fire the circle is aimed slightly lower than the cross-hair center of the reticle so the arms are actually firing slightly down

c ) All ballistic weapon trajectories are arced. AC20 is the most arced. This is really noticeable at long range but if you are aiming just barely above a ridge ... arm aim slightly lower than torso and the round drops at all it will likely hit the ridge.

So based on the video I don't see any big reason to say that there was a bug in terrain though it is still possible.

2) At 5:07 you are just coming around a corner with the obstacle on the left AND the AC20 on the left arm. The gun does not fire from the cockpit - it fires from a meter or two to the side and the arms on the BJ are fairly widely spaced. In this case, it seems likely that although your cockpit had a clear line of sight to the target, the lines of sight from the gun itself was still obstructed by terrain.

Mechs are big, it takes time for the arms to clear obstacles that appear clear from the cockpit.

I can't recount the number of times I have had low slung arm weapons hit the ridge I was trying to hide behind instead of the target I was firing at ... this is not a geometry issue ... this is a line of sight/fire issue ... the gun is firing from a viewpoint much lower than the cockpit view and hits objects that I think it should clear. I have had this happen going around objects ... especially buildings where my right side weapons could hit for example but my left side ones might still be partially obstructed behind the building. It has nothing to do with a hidden geometry but rather the fact that the weapon fire is traced from each individual weapon mount to the aiming point separately and some of these can hit terrain and others not even though the view from the cockpit looks clear. This is simple to test on the training grounds.

On the convergence front, I have fired arm mounted weapons on an Atlas at a light mech at close range ... and had them both miss ... the laser paths crossed in a nice big X on the far side of the mech I was aiming at because they were too close and there were limits to weapon convergence.

Also, weapons instantly converge ... this means that the weapons always aim at the pixel of terrain under the aiming reticle at the moment when the SERVER thinks you pressed the firing button. This can cause a lot of confusion if you are brawling in a light mech and only keeping on target for the time you fire. If the server doesn't get it right with lag and HSR then it is quite possible to miss ... or unexpectedly hit terrain that you didn't think you were aiming at.

#14 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostKisumiKitsune, on 12 May 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Here's a rerun using a 'mech that has a gun duct taped to its face, nice, slow and thorough.

Loved the paraphrase ... however ... I did move it frame by frame at 1:41 and 5:08 and saw the round travel through the air and strike terrain down range. In neither case did it hit something just in front of your mech. In fact, I frame by framed it 5 or 6 times to make sure what I was seeing was the round traveling ... I saw the gun flash, the round and the impact explosion.

Anyway, it is still possible that there was an issue but it wasn't obvious in your original video. I will watch your new video when I get a chance.

Edit: Cool ... I watched your new video and I would say there is a definite issue around 36 seconds with the autocannon firing at the ridgeline and again at the end with the right side medium laser firing past the outcrop. There were a lot of the other test shots that might or might not have been an issue since the gun is still offset from the cockpit (like the autocannon firing past the rock outcrop at the end of the video) ... thanks for putting the work in ... though it was hard to find the problem shots since you were firing so quickly and the gun flashes hid a lot of it ... frame by frame was the only way to see the ones that could be problematic.

Edited by Mawai, 12 May 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#15 Carchemish

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well I can't seem to paste a screenshot, so here's what I have:

Forest Colony map, Skirmish mode, Spider mech.

Coordinates 1804.7 2502.8 224.6. There are a series of crates near the western entrance to the tunnel, the center of which is lower than the outer ones. I got stuck while jumping up to the center crate (of that bunch, not the center of all the crates in the area).

Edited by Carchemish, 12 May 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#16 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

View Postand zero, on 08 May 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

Yea, this has been a problem for the entire lifetime of this game, as far as I know. If it is intentional, that is absolutley asinine. it is incredibly annoying constantly having shots blocked by that invisible barrier around all objects.

If you want a particularly bad example, the pillars supporting that structure in the center of HPG manifold (on the top part) have massive invisible walls around them. I have to aim almost an inch on my monitor to the sides of them for my shots to go through ;)

Dont, i almost overheated my Thunderbolt whilst trying to snipe targes i had a clear LOS to.
My shots just kept slapping into an invisible barrier infront of me.

#17 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Mech Stuck for the last 6 minutes of a match.
  • The map affected.
Canyon Network
E3
Raven-3L
N/A, but here is the exact location: The rock called out by the yellow arrow

Posted Image

Edited by Solahma, 13 May 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#18 Svidro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

So many, I'd say all of Tourmaline Desert, but here's some specifics.
First is in the bottom right of E6, most screenshots have EXACT COORDINATES LISTED.
Posted Image
Standing on an invisible ledge that is a frequent problem for people coming around this corner from E7. In the other direction you just drop a few meters down off an invisible ramp. Hard to tell with the 3pv camera, so next...

Posted Image
And here is me running into the invisible lip. Notice the throttle is maxed, and I'm going zero. Glad there are no mechs chasing me in the testing grounds.
That's probably the most obvious offender, the rest is just... everywhere else anything exists.

Posted Image
Hey, it's a catapult, and my weapons are on the right hand side! Goody!
Posted Image
But no, Fail.

Then there is all the rubbish in the middle areas that just behaves strangely.
Posted Image
Here I can shoot right through the bars! Take that cicada.

Posted Image
And here I can't even shoot through an open square.

No real rhyme or reason to any of it, just sloppy.

#19 Rezdoggy

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

The worst offenders of invisible geometry blocking shots has got to be the central pillars and floor of the center platform in HPG manifold, and the rocks in the center of canyon network

#20 Svidro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

Oh yes, emphasis on the HPG pillars. Just wow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users