278 replies to this topic

#261 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

The Missile Rack seems to be larger than even the Catapult C-4's giant boxes...

This may be the first mech PGI finally got right size wise though.

Its been said in many different pieces of Battletech lore that the Summoner is the "tallest" Clan mech, rivaling the Banshee and Atlas at 15 meters tall. Definitely something to keep I mind for anyone who plans to make the Summoner a favorite (which sucks, because I LOVE the Summoner).

#262 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 10 May 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Not technically necessary- since there is no mixed tech, all equipment must, therefore, be of Clan origin.

i see what you mean.

#263 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostT Decker, on 11 May 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

The Missile Rack seems to be larger than even the Catapult C-4's giant boxes...

This may be the first mech PGI finally got right size wise though.

Its been said in many different pieces of Battletech lore that the Summoner is the "tallest" Clan mech, rivaling the Banshee and Atlas at 15 meters tall. Definitely something to keep I mind for anyone who plans to make the Summoner a favorite (which sucks, because I LOVE the Summoner).

Yeah I liked the height in MW3, in MW4 it was scaled back and felt wrong.

Of course super tall mechs arnt anything alien to us, with the kintaro and quickdraw pretending to be assaults.

#264 neuroelectronic

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Best looking clan mech yet, IMO. Something feels off about the warhawk and madcat though. They seem like low polygon models or something where this one is like... better. That open cockpit is going to look great on my huge monitor setup.

#265 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I can has gold Summoner?

or the next mech, or maybe some Summoner variants since I paid for three different ones.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 13 May 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#266 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

I have to say: :)

The summoner looks really strange to me. The CT is far too protruding and the arm pods and missile pod look disproportional. But most of all, it's the potential hitbox problems. The CT can be hit from the side and the arms don't cover the STs. Not to mention the potential of simply shooting the HUGE missile pod to damage the side torso. Sure, if they adjust the hitboxes right it might not be such a problem, but still....

It makes me wonder why are these new mechs not designed more around the actual gameplay in which shielding is so important. Of course you want to be as close to the original designs as possible, but there is more then enough room for modifying them to fit the game.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 14 May 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#267 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 14 May 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

I have to say: :)

The summoner looks really strange to me. The CT is far too protruding and the arm pods and missile pod look disproportional. But most of all, it's the potential hitbox problems. The CT can be hit from the side and the arms don't cover the STs. Not to mention the potential of simply shooting the HUGE missile pod to damage the side torso. Sure, if they adjust the hitboxes right it might not be such a problem, but still....

It makes me wonder why are these new mechs not designed more around the actual gameplay in which shielding is so important. Of course you want to be as close to the original designs as possible, but there is more then enough room for modifying them to fit the game.

We didn't do that for the Dragon, why would we do it for the Summoner?

#268 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 14 May 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

We didn't do that for the Dragon, why would we do it for the Summoner?

True, but the Dragon is a closed beta mech. I wouldn't blame them for some of the early mechs being lackluster or victims of power creep, but there is really no excuse for the brand new mechs.

#269 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 14 May 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

True, but the Dragon is a closed beta mech. I wouldn't blame them for some of the early mechs being lackluster or victims of power creep, but there is really no excuse for the brand new mechs.

We'll have to see what the hitboxes will be though. As of right now, the protruding part you are talking about, is actually very small, and is within reason compared to the mechs we have right now. However, I can see the Side torsos being extended, after all, these mechs have no fear of ST destruction even while mounting XLs.

#270 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 14 May 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

We'll have to see what the hitboxes will be though. As of right now, the protruding part you are talking about, is actually very small, and is within reason compared to the mechs we have right now. However, I can see the Side torsos being extended, after all, these mechs have no fear of ST destruction even while mounting XLs.

It doesn't appear to protrude much more than the QKD. They are sub par mechs, but I never hear about them having CT coring issues on par with the dragon. I suspect however that more so than the protrusion, the issue with the dragon is that the ST's comprise so little a percentage of the entire torso of the mech, that shooting a Dragon from the front almost always ends in a CT hit. Not unlike the Jenner really. That chassis tends to take most ST hits from the rear. The summoner does not appear to have this issue.

Edited by VigilanceHawkwind, 14 May 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#271 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 14 May 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

It doesn't appear to protrude much more than the QKD. They are sub par mechs, but I never hear about them having CT coring issues on par with the dragon. I suspect however that more so than the protrusion, the issue with the dragon is that the ST's comprise so little a percentage of the entire torso of the mech, that shooting a Dragon from the front almost always ends in a CT hit. Not unlike the Jenner really. That chassis tends to take most ST hits from the rear. The summoner does not appear to have this issue.

The Dragon is nothing but a giant CT, so it should be easily cored. The glorious Summoner is like a taller, thinner Thunderbolt.

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 14 May 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#272 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

With stock camo pattern Mech has child's toy look...

#273 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostWarge, on 14 May 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

With stock camo pattern Mech has child's toy look...

Those super polished/brand new looking textures have that effect, it makes some colors look stupid lego block like but its not bad for some colors. (Earliest example of the lego-texture was the Protector)

Posted Image

#274 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

Kinda like how they actually used the same arm from the Timber Wolf on the Summoner:
Posted Image Posted Image

We're probably going to see something similiar with Mechs like Warhawk / Dire Wolf legs and if they decide to add them later on the Mad Dog legs being identical to the Timber Wolf's or the Hellbringer legs to the Summoner's.

Btw... Anyone else having problems in copypasting links ( actually anything ) into the post window?
Getting real tired of this **** being forced to enter everything manually to a conversation.

#275 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Don't ahve a problem with them using shared units for the omni mechs, they're kind of supposed to. All the original clan omni's did this within the same weight regions (ie Assaults, heavies, etc.) Loki and Summoner shared legs, so did the Vulture and MadCat.

Edited by verybad, 15 May 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#276 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

Timber wolf.....needs fixing, not that impressed.
Masakari....don't look that bad, quite like it actually
Puma (adder).....yeah looks cool
Ryoken......Mmmmmmm
Summoner.....Looks crap, back to the drawing board please.

Please dont ****** up hellbringer (loki)

I have to say some of the inner sphere mechs looks better than the clan ones from PGI, notably the centurion, catapult, raven, Jagermech, Highlander, atlas, awesome all look great. Half of these clan efforts are a poor show.

Edited by mad kat, 16 May 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#277 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostDurahl, on 15 May 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

...the Hellbringer legs to the Summoner's.

So much hope for this. So much hope. Those legs are a work of art. The leg animations to get them to work must be impressive. It looks like the entire lower leg is socketed inside the upper, and not only rotates but extends as it flexes, so that the movement is like an arc. So want to see that in motion!

#278 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Well I wonder if the Variant A with PPC Lrm15 and Lbx10 will live or die by the tuning of Clan weaponry. It is one thing to have such a limited loadout with 15 dmg PPc and unlimited range Lrm but after PGI balances Clan weapons will this mech perform as it should??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users