What's The Locust's Place In Mwo

78 replies to this topic

#21 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

This Locust 1m is my new most favorite deathtrap. 2ML and 2 Ssrms make lock on drive by assassinations brutal. Yeah, I use the target decay module but, man... so awesome. Urban combat has never been so fun. I have the bigger brothers the raven 3L, the Jenner D and I honestly just like the locust 1m better. I think part of the reason is I feel a little safer in a raven where in the locust i'm on the edge of the seat the entire match knowing that one tiny mistake will be insta-death. The reason for the streaks isn't for light chasing but rather for odd angles of attack on the sickly stragling wildabeast.

How I play it is typical locust, cycle through a bunch of mechs until some skin is showing... then hold that lock while running near and dropping off a payload without ever actually cutting in front of the mech. It so far seems to allow me to drive off into the shadows without ever being spotted by the big sickly juicy target. There's a slight delay where you can be locked on after moving your targeting reticule off target. You can actually fire while being mostly turned in the retreating direction.

Anywho, locust probably not a great/good/ or even mediocre mech to start with but, what a blast to pilot.

Edited by The Schwartz, 08 May 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#22 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 May 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Actually, now that I think about it - playing a Locust is almost exactly like playing an Atlas :D
Both of them rely a lot more on positioning and teammates than anything else. :lol:

Surprisingly true. Though the Atlas will most likely draw attention as soon as it arrives while the Locust should try to avoid drawing any attention at all.

View PostSpheroid, on 08 May 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

I would use the 1V as a support platform since its module slots are useless for normal weapons.

170kph can get you to the front lines extremely quickly. Get there first, watch for seismic and deploy UAVs to help your team.

You can also act as a squirrel decoy on water maps where you can avoid a lot of incoming fire by submerging.

You must, must wait until the last third of the match before engaging or you will get killed. There are exceptions of course. Isolated mechs or stragglers are valid targets on large maps like alpine or therma.

While true, I got the feeling that while piloting a Locust you should never ever arrive anywhere first - it only gets you killed faster :D. Try to arrive late, when all others are distracted and armor is at least gone a few parts, so that your MG's can have a lil fun.

The Locust is a terrible scout and a terrible capper if on it's own, because it's inferior to every other light, even a Spider and so vulnerable to one shots. It's a niche 'mech in the current meta, a carrion bird. Feed on the leftovers of a brawl, stay invisible, your speed can get you into trouble fast and you don't have the armor to get out again. This is partially what Shar meant is similar to playing an Atlas... fast enough to get you into trouble, but not fast enough to get you out of it again.

Speed is an aggro magnet and MG's are even more. Thanks to the Ember and Spider 5K everyone knows how devastating 4 MG's can be, so expect to get some attention as soon as you open fire. Thanks to the fact that the Locust is a one hit wonder, it's also a welcoming target, so stay low and sneaky. And don't brawl with BoomJagers, Streaktaros or some such...

I really like to play my lights offensive, that's why it took me some time to adapt to the Locust. It's the epitome of a hit and run 'mech. Some very good pilots can do some crazy stuff in Locusts, but the usual pilot will most likely do best in going in from behind, unload and get the hell out of there.

That said, prepare your strikes. Read the enemy movement and positioning. Focus on lone stragglers. If you get attention, try to isolate the enemy and drag them to your team. If you see something like SSRM2 on your target, switch and look for something else - don't even think of getting it's attention. Try to avoid circle fights with other lights.

TL;DR: As long as there is no role-warfare, it's hard talking about specific roles. The Locust is a challenge and nothing more that this (other than fun that is ^_^). It gets outperformed in every regard, it's not the fastest, it's not the most armored, it's not the most powerful, it's just the lightest and that is not even an advantage. Getting kills in Locusts is really entertaining and most demoralizing on your enemy :ph34r:. And the Locust is a sexy lil bug.

#23 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Seriously. When it comes to Locusts their place is in the funzone. They're not gonna outperform most other lights, but they are a blast to pilot and getting kills in them always feels awesome.

#24 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

The locust 1v with the ballistics is one of my favourites. It is hard to use but it can fit in tight places, stop and reverse like nothing else and in a 1 on 1 fight with a battle master it comes out on top.

#25 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Wierdly ...

I love locusts for the reasons pointed out here - they're hard. Hardmode in any game is lovely, and Locusts certainly are that.

The weird thing is, though, that I'm having tons of success in what was intended as a joke build - a locust-3m with an ERPPC, (relatively) lots of armor, and the biggest engine I can fit. Running 150kph to reposition a massive sniper cannon that, when fired from behind, doesn't really reveal you?

I've had /tons/ of matches now with 350+ damage and multiple kills. No idea why this thing is so effective and crazy fun. :)

#26 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

generally i stay back and play lrm boat guardian to try and get locks on enemy lights that sees the free lunch...er lrm boat across the map from them. then i can keep them targetted so if they try to run my friendly lrm boat now has a close-up lock that won;t be breaking til the other guy finds some friends.

plus i don;t use a lot of long range weapons so waiting til the midpoint of the match when internals start showing usually is a good idea for the little guy instead of trying to take anything on when it's fresh.

did have one good match today where we were down 10-6 on assault with me in my Locust 1M at 38% and an ECM spider around 65% or so ran back to base defenses. rather than wait it out, the other side decided to rush the base (or hobble, they were kinda beat up). i hid behind the mobile antenna truck, spider kept taking potshots with its ERPPC.mech#1 shows up. kiiled by turrets 10-7.highlander fights it's way through to step on the base very beat up. i pop from behind cover and alpha it 3 times (yes he didn;t even look my way the whole time) to finish it off 10-8. then i got greedy trying to finish off the legged griffin at 28% and he caught me coming from cover to shoot to finish me. then the spider went to town- one shot to finish off the enemy Locust, couple more for the legged shadowhawk, another for the raven(i think) and finally finished off the griffin to win the match for us 12-11. so the moral is- pilot a spider.

#27 Blue Drache

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSkei's Haven, Krynn

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 08 May 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

What's The Locust's Place In Mwo

... Usually face down on the ground?

#28 QuiteJolly

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

How to balance the LOL-Cussed.
Make it go 200 kph.
not even kidding ;)

#29 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't think a faster Locust is the answer. I'd rather see them slow down the Commando and the Raven and keep the engine caps in line with the TT values.

The Cicada, Spider and Locust are the only mechs that should be running 8/12.

#30 danneskold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

I am not a locust fan, never really drove one. I like my jenner and firestarter too much. But sometimes it helps to know what we do to you. When I see a locust, due to its speed, I go for legs. Speed is all it has, really, and those legs are weak. If you are a locust pilot, best to stay away from scrum with other lights. And you cant really out turn me, with the JJ, I can pivot too quick with simple moves - further, since I have more armor, I can slug it out more, which tends to make you run, and I have the advantage with the JJ to go over terrain you cant, or are slowed, and if you slow, you die.

It would seem locust would be better to stick back and spot more, and use longer range weapons until mechs are weakened. Its just too light to get into the thick of it. But, with its speed, it would be great to stay back and pick at stuff, or jump around behind to pick at the guys that fall back due to compromised armor - the prefect kill for a locust. Wait for them to try to cover, then streak in an smash it quickly.

#31 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostBlue Drache, on 10 May 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

... Usually face down on the ground?

Basically. They lack armor and weapons and jump jets and ECM... and they aren't even much faster than their nearest rivals. Without tonnage limits, they are, to be honest, rather useless since there's little if anyone one can do in them that can't be done in a better light mech.. .and their cockpit view is terrible, too.

#32 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

They aren't faster than their rivals.

The Commando and Spider are both faster, and the spider boasts jumpjets to boot, which is sad.
More lights may be quicker, but I cant be bothered to check right now... plus it's a little depressing tbh.

It should be able to get up to around 186+, but sadly not.

At the end of the day, it's MWO: Hard Mode. MWO: Shiggles edition.
They make pretty good bait though. Running through, getting the enemy team to turn to try for the 'easy kill'.

I wonder what would happen, if I put 9-10 armour at the front (so as to not get one shotting by AC20s), then maxed out rear, just for baiting runs.....

Edited by Ovion, 14 May 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#33 ReXspec

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 502 posts
  • LocationOrem, Utah

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Sorry for being lazy, but I'm going to pull something from my own guide here:

"The Locust (LCT-1V)

Contrary to what people may think, the locust is a very effective light 'mech and not simply because of it's incredible speed, but because it often lived up to it's namesake. Locusts are called "Locusts" because they usually attack in swarms or packs. In MWO, a Locust pilot's role should be a harrasser or reconaissance--and he should travel in a lance of other locusts if he truly wants to be the most effective as a harrasser in a coordinated team. Otherwise, if a Locust pilot attempts to be a lone-wolf harasser, his 'mech will get eaten by a single, well-placed shot."

#34 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostReXspec, on 14 May 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Sorry for being lazy, but I'm going to pull something from my own guide here:

"The Locust (LCT-1V)

Contrary to what people may think, the locust is a very effective light 'mech and not simply because of it's incredible speed, but because it often lived up to it's namesake. Locusts are called "Locusts" because they usually attack in swarms or packs. In MWO, a Locust pilot's role should be a harrasser or reconaissance--and he should travel in a lance of other locusts if he truly wants to be the most effective as a harrasser in a coordinated team. Otherwise, if a Locust pilot attempts to be a lone-wolf harasser, his 'mech will get eaten by a single, well-placed shot."

Which brings us down to the main problem,

your pack of 4 Locusts v.s. my pack of 4 Commandos/Jenner/Raven/Spiders...

and recon is only of so much use, given that the groups clash within a few minutes at the mostand most maps dont really allow a sneaky approach, because you can see next to everything.

Not really to downtalk the locust, i like the mech, had some great fun in the chassis,
but, they would really start to shine, if we could take 4 Locust v.s. 1 Atlas on the enemys team.

#35 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostAndroas, on 15 May 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

and recon is only of so much use, given that the groups clash within a few minutes at the mostand most maps dont really allow a sneaky approach, because you can see next to everything.

I use to think that, until I really started trying scouting in my Locust. I used to "scout" by being the guy that runs ahead and makes first contact, and that ended predictably - with my death. But lately I've been working harder to remain unnoticed for the first few minutes, and it's paid off in spades. I just had a match this morning on Alpine where I was able to get around and behind their lines, and get my TAG on their LRMboat Stalker that was hanging back. All of a sudden the missiles started raining in on the Stalker, and once he was wounded I was able to pounce in and finish him off with my MLs. And I'm finding that I can fairly reliably work like this - get in the back, TAG but don't draw any attention, feast on the carrion. The only real problem I run into is if my fellow PUGgers don't notice my TAG.

Although I do agree, I wish they'd put in tonnage limits, and remove the number limit. I think 720 tons vs 720 tons would allow for much better fights, especially if their was a mismatch in the groups. I'd love to be a Locust as part of a 12 mech light/medium swarm running against 8-10 heavies and assaults.

Edited by Buckminster, 15 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#36 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

Think of the Locust as the truest test of your MWO-skills.

You may think yourself god-like in your Metaphract or Lurmaggedon-boat, but until you become a major threat in a Locust, you are still down here with the rest of us mortals. ;)

#37 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

The Locust is not the truest test of your MWO skills unless you've got good twitch reflexes to go along with steady hands to do good laser burns on moving mechs while you're moving at 170kph.

So you're tagging some guy from behind the lines. The second someone on that team actually checks their six, you better hope they don't have ppcs/gauss/ac5, because you're about to eat some damage that you're not going to see coming.

#38 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

With a speed cap, which allows other lights to be as fast if not faster, and without both class and tonnage limits, the locust is simply worthless.

If we had a system where the lightest mechs were the fastest, the locust would have a role. If the locust gave the rest of the team extra tonnage, sure!

tl;dr the locust is useless

#39 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostJonathan Paine, on 15 May 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

With a speed cap, which allows other lights to be as fast if not faster, and without both class and tonnage limits, the locust is simply worthless.

If we had a system where the lightest mechs were the fastest, the locust would have a role. If the locust gave the rest of the team extra tonnage, sure!

tl;dr the locust is useless

certain variants are worthless...like looking at the SDR-5V...that is worthless. 1E & 3M (1M?) are actually quite good.

For me it can be very useful and it is a great annoyance mech. I have a lot of good rounds in the 2 energy based variants. the problem is I think a lot of people just don't know how and when to use it.

best results for me is either stay WAY back and just watch movements and let people know what is going on and then when when the brawls start, swooping in behind and alpha blasting legs or rear CT. Depending on the map, I'll use it as a straggler hunter or LRM boat annoyer.

You'd be amazed how the light mechs end up like a 4 year olds' soccer game where EVERYONE just fixates on you and chases....which I try to force a lot....problem here is this usually ends up in death or heavy damage and the rest of your team doesn't react to it and that 15-20 seconds of distraction is lost.

Edited by Bigbacon, 15 May 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#40 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Any mech can do well when ignored. Any mech can do well when the opponents are worse players. The Locust will get one-shot by anything looking at it, and good players will just fire once instead of chasing it. No amount of skill or patience can get around that. This thing is only good for trolling/finishing, both of which are done better by the Spider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users