• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 08 May 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I recenlty thought of trying the locust (the 4balistics one) and i keep getting oneshoted, Advice?

P.S.:I keep moving

locusts shine in tonnage restricted private matches...

if i use only 20tons that means somebody else can super size their mechs... in pug play nothing much...

#62 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Mechwarriors,

Locusts are designed as inexpensive additions to recon lances. The sheer number of variants and availability lends it well to underfunded or underequipped units looking to have a mech that can be easily repaired or scrapped for spares and not cost a years worth of salary to replace. I have a couple of assessments on the LCT variants I have piloted:

LCT-1V: Mobility and machine guns: The medium laser can be fired at speed almost continually without overheating unless the ambient temperature is pretty high. Use this mech as a hunter. Find slow mechs with LRMs or arm weapons with no lower actuators and stick close to them, get in their personal bubble and use the MGs to chew the armor off. Other targets should be engaged carefully and using hit-and-run tactics, do not get focused on kills, hit the Atlas as you run by and keep going.

LCT-1E: No ammo no problem: Well except the already paper thin armor being even more papery. Stay moving at all times, again use it to prey on mechs lacking short range weapons or who cannot out turn you. Be careful of heat buildup, run through, spike it and run away to cool off, by the time you come back they will have forgotten about you and chosen another target. Rinse and repeat as needed.

LCT-1M: Air mail: Use this mech to harass large mechs without AMS from a distance, stay moving and even if they can get you in range the time they have to respond to you will work in your favor. Support the other light mechs, they will probably have medium range weapons and be looking to close the gap, dropping a little rain on enemies could rattle them enough to allow for crippling damage, or at least preserve your allies. You are not a Catapult.

LCT-3S: We are going streaking: Use this mech to harass light mechs you can outrun or even some heavier mechs. The SSRMs do not do a lot of damage and are easily defeated by AMS unless you are at point blank range. Hit and run and use the medium laser as your lifeline.

Use the Locust in a group of lights, do not go out spoiling for a fight as any one you find has a good probability of you becoming dispossessed. Good luck.

Corporal Woolf signing off...

#63 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, in PuG matches - the only thing the Locust really has going for it is psychological.

They can have a fair punch for their size - but you are either playing squirrel with the enemy team and praying they miss - or praying they ignore you so you can use the aforementioned punch.

#64 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 16 May 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

To get upset about how easy they die is.... silly

You know that is not the problem. You turning the axioms in a discussion around when running out of arguments, that is the issue. You seem like a smart man, so why this ****? The mech is bad, way worse than any light. Stop trying to tell people that it has comparable use in MWO. It does not.

#65 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Someone made a rather good video on the Locust's place.

#66 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostModo44, on 16 May 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

It does not.

It is worse than any other light - except the only other light that has the speeds it has - do not have anywhere near the firepower it has.

Yes it has no armor - but as a light you should not be depending on your armor anyways.
If someone pinned you down and is shooting at you - you are using your light mech wrong.

Light on light duels being the exception - but at the same time, the locust has more potential to evade those than any other mech in the game except the spider - who is massively outgunned at those speeds.

Is it a top tier mech?
Not a chance.

Is it worthless?
Not a chance.

Is it a pain to drive?
Yes

Can it score just as high as anyone else?
Yes

Is it likely to win any duels?
Not really

Is it more capable to evade a duel than any other chassis?
Yes.

Is it a mech I recommend to new players?
No

Is it a mech I recommend to more experienced players who know what they are doing?
Very much - as at it's speed it is just as useful if not moreso than the Commando or Spider.

#67 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Heffay

#68 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostSaxie, on 16 May 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Heffay

Oh I know. :ph34r:

#69 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 16 May 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Is it more capable to evade a duel than any other chassis?
Yes.

Wrong. The lack of JJs kills it in many situations in which other lights can jump away. The added speed is not enough to escape other lights before losing a leg, or its ass. In addition, other lights can actually fight their way out of a jam. This thing dies when spotted in range.

Just admit that you like it purely for the movement animation.

#70 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostModo44, on 16 May 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Just admit that you like it purely for the movement animation.

I can climb the walls in Canyon Network without the module.

Yes. It can.

Edit:
LIKE THE ANIMATION?

BOY are you stretching.

Edited edit:
Or would that be a confession? :ph34r:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 16 May 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#71 4D85

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Pretty much what you need to learn to do is find people who are distracted (a heavy in a battle with another larger mech), try not to be seen, and be that person who you always see the damage circle pointing to your left. You want the people that you attack to focus of the larger mech while you do a small amount of damage (if using the 1v, your going to be using machine guns) until the armor is stripped off then you can assassinate. For the 1v. don't try to go for damage. Your going to max out at 1 energy hardpoint, so wait for an opportunity to arise for you to come in and kill the crit'd mech. Scout out and look for cored mechs. With your insane speed dance around and aim for the unarmored spot and destroy it. You might also want to stay back with the lrm builds, hitting people from a decent distance with your energy hardpoint. Then go in when all of the mechs are hurt and kill em.

Locusts are only good when a good pilot is in them. Being in a Locust teaches you to be very situationally aware.

#72 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

i smiled before i realized it was built by heffay...

#73 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostMycrus, on 17 May 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

i smiled before i realized it was built by heffay...

I'll be making my own when I can. I'm quite good at animating, but I can't get any of the mechs I extracted textured and I don't know why.

#74 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 May 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

I'll be making my own when I can. I'm quite good at animating, but I can't get any of the mechs I extracted textured and I don't know why.

Heffay could probably help with that B)

#75 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 May 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

Heffay could probably help with that B)

He works with a crew. I'm somewhat certain it may not be him specifically that made the Locust video.
I know Haruka / haruko or whatever his/her name is can't get the game's textures on his/her models either, instead resorting to texturing them solid black. Though apparently the consoles are easy to get the textures on with.

Posted Image

Haruko. And apparently "her" according to the profile.

Posted Image

What I wouldn't do to have access to her library of files. It'd save me months of work and let me focus entirely on animations and making videos.

Except she does everything in blender. I need it in 3DS Max, 3DS, LWO or OBJ. :)

Edited by Koniving, 17 May 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#76 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 May 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Except she does everything in blender. I need it in 3DS Max, 3DS, LWO or OBJ. B)

It was a thought - I had forgotten Haruko had problems with that as well.... :)

#77 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 May 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

Pm tekadept

#78 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostMycrus, on 17 May 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

Pm tekadept

I believe I did at one point. He said "read the thread." But gave me no specific post to go to. And it's a long...long...long thread.

Though it may have been someone else from the "create your own art using MWO's asset art" thread.

#79 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Maybe when they implement some sort of "deployment cost" in community warfare. Until then, locusts are hardmode for players looking for the experience. You really cant blame those who pilot them as much as you can't blame atlas pilots for being slow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users