This Game Needs A Ranking System. Tired To Play With Bambis.

92 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

Its obvious that Elo doesnt works at all. What this game needs is a Rankking system.

The Ranking System could cummulate the average Match points you gain and throw you into a match where ppl seem to have similar average Match points:. There could be like at least 3 different Rankings.. Maybe even 5.
While iam not completely sure how the current ingame Match point system works i would say the points should be like in Solo Tournaments. You get several Points for Assists, Kills, Dmg, Spotting assistant, and so on.

Also New Players should be in rank 1 for at least 25 matches (Recruit Bonus)

On Premades the average match point of the hole group counts.

Like rank 1: -40 PPoints

Rank 2 : 40- 60 Points

Rank 3 : 60- 100 points

And so on.....

Either way its madness to throw fresh bambis into a match with ppl who play this game for almost 2 years.
Thats actually the main reason why this game keeps frustrating green horns.. As an effect they just leave.

Whats your opinion on the Current Elo System? Does it works?

Edited by GM Reppu, 12 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

View PostAaron45, on 12 May 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

Its obvious that Elo doesnt works at all. What this game needs is a Rankking system.

The Ranking System could cummulate the average Match points you gain and throw you into a match where ppl seem to gain similar Match points. There could be like at least 3 different Rankings.. Maybe even 5.

Either way its madness to throw fresh bambis into a match with ppl who play this game for almost 2 years.

Thats actually the main reason why this game keeps frustrating green horns.. As an effect they just leave.

Leave a comment if ya have a suggestion on what the ranking could base on if not the match ponts.

Then please go and do privat matches or organized turnament matches.
Thats what the private match option is for.
If you are that pro and you have already noticed you are just ruining other ppls game play experience with meta and cheese builds, the only viable course of action is going somewhere where you arent forced to play with normal players and vice versa.

Edit: there is already an internal elo *ranking* system that trys to build matches with an averange unit elo. But with a player base this smal you get sometimes matches with 5 totaly new players and 2 very high end players. If this team is confronted by an enemy team made up from averange to slightly above averange players your team will get just sloughtered no matter how uber the 2 high end players are.

Edited by The Basilisk, 12 May 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#3 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

Did anybody already mentioned ELO ?... ;)

They could maybe tweak/improve their ELO calculations, but
ELO should handle those matchmaking issues, but it is also dependent on the current online users, group composition etc.

And if you want to really test your skills against particular "high ranking" players, start up a private match and find out.

Also what makes somebody a "good" player? a lot of damage? a lot of assists? a lot of kills(stealing), wins (maybe thanks to your teammates)
-a player who can only pilot a lrm boat raking 1000+ damage
-a killstealing spider?
-an instakill boom(jager/cat etc)?
-a poptarting highlander
-or a tagging spotting raven with 10+ assist?

it is not that easy to match all those players inside some sort of ranking system.

Edited by Kain, 12 May 2014 - 04:48 AM.

#4 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

The reason the game is hell on new players is because the vets are jerks. They build out the most meta thing they can and swarm obviously inexperienced mechs who get caught alone or can't shoot for anything.

I'm not suggesting we just not shoot people because they're new or bad, I'm suggesting PGI stop selling us shart and finish community warfare. Put something in to keep vets busy on x planet, while new people gravitate to less important conflicts. Put in supply limits, ammo cost modifiers, rare equipment cost modifiers, economy stuff etc etc etc.

Finish the GAME, because when the content is just one queue (maybe two counting full 12 v full 12), there is nothing to do but be the meta-est player you can and kill people as brutally and quickly as possible.

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

You sound like one of the people who talks like this in game.
Plus you did not factor in creators of alt accounts. Some do that. So you have people who are not n00bs create an alt account thus get lumped in with the n00bs. By your beliefs, they should be separate, how do you separate them?

#6 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

How do you believe this is different from the existing ELO system? Aside from tossing around arbitrary numbers, what you've described is pretty much a simplified, abstracted version of what an ELO system is.

#7 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

No, ELO is a failure. The reason fodder keeps getting tossed into matches is because there aren't enough players...which bodes really well for MWO, doesn't it?

#8 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 12 May 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

How do you believe this is different from the existing ELO system? Aside from tossing around arbitrary numbers, what you've described is pretty much a simplified, abstracted version of what an ELO system is.

Well Elo Cummulates the points of the Hole Group. If Team 1 has 1000 cummulated Elo Points then it tries to arange a match between a similar enemy team with cummulated ideal 1000 points. So there could be 6 newbees in one team and 6 Pros....

What iam suggesting is pretty different from that

#9 Flaming oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 12 May 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

I can tell you now when my team does 2k damage between them and gets 4 kills , and ive done 3 of the kills with 1.1k damage, and the other team has players judging by there scores at my level and slightly below - average , something is badly wrong with the elo system , 11 people on my team combined did less damage then me , facepalm .

#10 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yes and no. Elo has been giving people a 50/50 chance of winning. But, it does not exactly mean the matches are fair and balanced.

We need more ways to rate a player on TEAM PREFORMACE for a scoring system to work with the way the game currently is Team Based. A Free-for-all mode would help the game in a lot of ways.

#11 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

PGI has asked the community to provide alternatives to W/L for calculating MMR/Elo/Whatever. Using the current scoring system, though, Match Score is a bad option. It radically undervalues things like spotting, capture assists, etc., and radically overvalues damage.

I know it'd be difficult to make work, but I'd love to see a MMR derived from the following personal stats:

- Accuracy. It would take the average % accuracy of all the weapons mounted on the mech you're dropping with.
- Damage Dealt/Damage Taken ratio.
- Kill/Death/Assist ratio.
- Win/Loss.

I'd like to see these tracked initially per account. Once a weight class has a large enough sample size (say, 50+ matches) then any mech in that weight class uses the weight class MMR instead. Once a chassis has enough of a sample size, any other variants within that chassis would use the chassis MMR instead. Once a variant has enough of a sample size, that variant would use its own variant MMR instead.

Example: Bob has three mechs. He has played his Raven RVN-3L more than 50 times, so it uses his RVN-3L MMR. He has a Jenner that he hasn't played more than 50 times, so it uses his Light Weight Class MMR, since he has more than 50 games in a Light. He also has an Atlas AS7-D-DC, which he hasn't played with much at all. It uses his Account MMR.

When Bob buys a second Raven, this time RVN-4X, it uses the Raven Chassis MMR, until he passes 50 drops in his -4X specifically.

#12 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostAaron45, on 12 May 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

The Ranking System could cummulate the average Match points you gain and throw you into a match where ppl seem to have similar average Match points:. There could be like at least 3 different Rankings.. Maybe even 5.
While iam not completely sure how the current ingame Match point system works i would say the points should be like in Solo Tournaments. You get several Points for Assists, Kills, Dmg, Spotting assistant, and so on.

Also New Players should be in rank 1 for at least 25 matches (Recruit Bonus)

On Premades the average match point of the hole group counts.

Like rank 1: -40 PPoints

Rank 2 : 40- 60 Points

Rank 3 : 60- 100 points

And so on.....

Whats your opinion on the Current Elo System? Does it works?

I actually think the problem is the matchmaker, and not the ELO system. If the MM would not wander around in a large margin, teams would be more balanced by win/loss.

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 12 May 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I actually think the problem is the matchmaker, and not the ELO system.  If the MM would not wander around in a large margin, teams would be more balanced by win/loss.

The same matchmaker that is currently being overhauled with the rule-of-threes and other features. PGI is aware of the problem and is currently working to fix it (yeah, yeah, insert PGI joke here). I'd advise some patience.

#14 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

View Postwanderer, on 12 May 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

No, ELO is a failure. The reason fodder keeps getting tossed into matches is because there aren't enough players...which bodes really well for MWO, doesn't it?

And if just ONE player who posted this BS would provide some real #'s then perhaps they would have a actual discussion point.

Every time I play, and work makes it a varied bag, I always get 23 others and in a very good Launch window for time.

So show some real F'in #'s or put kindly put that QQ bag down.

#15 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 12 May 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I actually think the problem is the matchmaker, and not the ELO system. If the MM would not wander around in a large margin, teams would be more balanced by win/loss.

Well the big weakness of the current Elo system is that it looks at the total team elo points: Newbees for example get mixed with pros. The system i am suggesting would not allow that and instead it would search for players at the same rank

#16 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 12 May 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

The same matchmaker that is currently being overhauled with the rule-of-threes and other features. PGI is aware of the problem and is currently working to fix it (yeah, yeah, insert PGI joke here). I'd advise some patience.

Whether the guy who just started yesterday is in a raven or a atlas vs the guy who played 2 years makes no difference.

Edited by Flaming oblivion, 12 May 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hasn't PGI wasted more than enough time already on the eSports stuff? It's time they moved on to Community Warfare.

Edited by Mystere, 12 May 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#18 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Do not disregard the epic snowballing MWO currently encourages.

#19 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

So show some real F'in #'s or put kindly put that QQ bag down.

http://mwomercs.com/...old-adjustment/

They had to broaden the ELO threshold due to overly long wait times- ie, not enough players.

#20 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

I fully support a level based. I think it would improve the gameplay. It would weed out disco farmers and people who put forth minimal effort in the game.

Problem with a ranking system, and I seen this before with games like Clash of Clans. Is people might purposely can their stats. Just to be in a rich farming environment.

A level based system just solves so many problems.

Competitive match
Disco and non participants would bottom out at the lowest level giving the developers a better idea of who is playing and who is farming c-bills.
People who want to play will rise up quickly after about 25 matches

You could lock noobs out of assault, and heavy mech until they reach a certain Rank.

Endless possibilities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users