The Supernova....anyone Else Hope They Bring In Non-Omni Clan Mechs So We Can Have This Sexy Beast?

BattleMechs

66 replies to this topic

#21 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostFupDup, on 26 May 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

You wouldn't really need quad PPC, because the Clan ERPPC does 15 damage (PGI may or may not nerf that aspect of the weapon). 2 CERPPC is basically dual Gauss, and you can fill in the rest of your tonnage with CERML and DHS or something.

The main issue that would be caused is that we could min-max the engine size, structure type, and armor type to fit whatever we need. The Omnis are hardlocked into sub-optimal base characteristics. Many of them are so stupidly designed, that they feature FF used in place of Endo. Or, they have huge engines or tiny engines. Or other issues, like the Puma's hardwired CT Flamer that does absolutely nothing. The Snova, and other Clan Battlemechs, would have no weaknesses (barring things like bad hitboxes or hardpoint setups).

Well, it does seem to have a chest that puts the Dragon and Awesome to shame.

It has what appears to be *only* 6 Energy hardpoints, all in the arms by the look of it. The Snova 2 had ATMs, but we cant have that.
The worst it could do is be an ammo independent Dual Gauss sniper. I would not put it past PGI to throw Ghost Heat on it the way they did the AC20 pairs. I'm not too worried about it, to be honest.

#22 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

If PGI were to do this mech, it would look 90% like the Stalker.

It's OP before it became OP. <_<

but its OP with style, while the stalker is OP with looking like a armless chicken.

#23 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

Spoiler
Nice.

THIS. This is why I dislike the PGI Mech Tree idea. Because Mechs like this only have ONE variant in Timeline. And because they cannot (figure out how to) increase the grind (and thus enhance likelihood of spending IRL money on the mech or GXP conversion to speed up the process) it's just one of several mechs that will NEVER see the light of day in MWO.

And this is why many of us have been telling PGI, since Closed Beta, that their Pilot Skill system is borked.

Indeed. I too hope this area can be re-engineered. I'd love more variety.

Please, White Knights of the PGI Table, come to their defense and explain how a Skill Tree design that EXCLUDES a HUGE portion of the extant Mechs PGI could be adding (and monetizing) to the game is a Good Idea.

*(Yes, this vile Black Knight just pulled a bait n switch. Deal with it. BTW, Black Knight would be cool to have in game too. But they would have to add a "PGI, We Totally Know What We're Doing!" Paint scheme to it to get it to sell...... but it might become the Mech du jour of us disgruntled masses, the sign of our own "Occupy" movement)

And Posted Image

(But having the Black Knight would be nice... <_<)

#24 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

yea Mw4 passive radar, and a SuperNova alpha strikes 2 or 3 times in a row, no need to fight back by the time you figure out what to do your mech exploded already. would be kewl to see the ole mech terrorizing the battlefield again in MWO, guess it would be easy to come up with some non canon variants, captured by mercs, and sold on the black market.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wow..... after seeing the Direwolf, another reason we need the Supernova... to have ONE Assault mech that actually looks good?

#26 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

Wow..... after seeing the Direwolf, another reason we need the Supernova... to have ONE Assault mech that actually looks good?

If we really want sexy Clan assault mechs, we maybe could go into the future a little bit...

Posted Image

^_^

#27 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Ever since MW3 (cuz let's face it, Loose's 3058 TRO illustration was NOT One of his finer works) this has been my favorite Clan Assault (tied with the Warhammer IIC, technically, but we ain't gonna get it).

90 tons of Energy Based Face Wreckage.
6 Clan ER Large Lasers.
26 (!!!!!!!) DHS
3 JJs
464 pts of Armor (MWO armor scale)

Snip insults and condescension

Pssttt... that's one of Paul's favorite mechs. So , ya never know.

Cheers

#28 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Not before King Crab, which from a lore sense makes sense...

#29 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

Warhawk looks fine...as long as you don't equip any (purse) missiles.

We all know the sweetest looking Clan JJ Assault is the Stone Rhino. ^_^

BTW, you might know the name of Stephan Amaris' "miraculous super weapon", which was also the precursor to the Stone Rhino, is called "Matar". But did you know that "Matar" in Mongolian means "Crocodile"?

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

Edited by El Bandito, 26 May 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostHelmer, on 26 May 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Pssttt... that's one of Paul's favorite mechs. So , ya never know.

Cheers

Hey, but between the insults and condescension (which would be a lot less so if we ever got remotely any info on why we are still stuck with so many broken and pointless placeholders from CB, like, oh, the pilot tree) is (IMO) a pretty legit concern.

"This is why I dislike the PGI Mech Tree idea. Because Mechs like this only have ONE variant in Timeline. And it's just one of several mechs that will (probably) NEVER see the light of day in MWO.

And this is why many of us have been telling PGI, since Closed Beta, that their Pilot Skill system is borked."

And I'm sorry if saying a skill tree and xp system that has totally useless required skills (um, pinpoint?) and totally excludes likely half the mechs in the game because of insufficient timeline variants offends and insults people bro, but as a long time player, some of us are kind of offended and insulted to still be grinding out for things that serve no purpose. I carried the White Knight torch for 2 years man. I still hold out hope for the game, but I'm too tired to keep deluding myself "everything happens for a reason" when the Devs seldom deign to try to let us know what's going on, and when they do, it's usually vague statements couched in politician speak. But listening to interviews where Pauls solution seems to be to nerf more things, just doesn't inspire faith anymore.

#31 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well, if it were non-omni you could add enough DHS 1.4's to make it kind of work, but otherwise it will just blow itself up after a few overheats. DHS 1.4 can't support energy boats and certainly not the Supernova with 6x Clan ER Large, ghost heat or not.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

And this is why many of us have been telling PGI, since Closed Beta, that their Pilot Skill system is borked.

You'll like hearing this.
IGP/NGNG is telling PGI... we want to see a per mech skill system.
The response is kinda nice, but expect it months down the line.

#33 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Lack of variants? Simple just up the mc/cbill cost and up the exp needed for each skill problem solved. Then make a hero and sell more mc.

Chances are if the skill grind is longer then people will be more likely to convert and use gxp. Also everyone gets their unique mechs.

#34 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostFupDup, on 26 May 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

You wouldn't really need quad PPC, because the Clan ERPPC does 15 damage (PGI may or may not nerf that aspect of the weapon). 2 CERPPC is basically dual Gauss, and you can fill in the rest of your tonnage with CERML and DHS or something.

The main issue that would be caused is that we could min-max the engine size, structure type, and armor type to fit whatever we need. The Omnis are hardlocked into sub-optimal base characteristics. Many of them are so stupidly designed, that they feature FF used in place of Endo. Or, they have huge engines or tiny engines. Or other issues, like the Puma's hardwired CT Flamer that does absolutely nothing. The Snova, and other Clan Battlemechs, would have no weaknesses (barring things like bad hitboxes or hardpoint setups).

Well even IF you would allow clantech + full customisation as the IS mechs do have, it would not be THAT OP. changign to ES or FF would take up vital criticals the DHS need. So you would heavily gimp your mechs Heatmanagement whcih already is a pain. Same for XL Engine.

View PostLightfoot, on 26 May 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

Well, if it were non-omni you could add enough DHS 1.4's to make it kind of work, but otherwise it will just blow itself up after a few overheats. DHS 1.4 can't support energy boats and certainly not the Supernova with 6x Clan ER Large, ghost heat or not.

It can, do the math in the simulator. PGI's strange way of making heatsinks generate a higher treshold of heat to store would makes the mech work very fine.

Edited by Grimmrog, 26 May 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#35 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

*(Yes, this vile Black Knight just pulled a bait n switch. Deal with it. BTW, Black Knight would be cool to have in game too. But they would have to add a "PGI, We Totally Know What We're Doing!" Paint scheme to it to get it to sell...... but it might become the Mech du jour of us disgruntled masses, the sign of our own "Occupy" movement)

Wasn't the Black Knight the meta poptart of MW4 days?

#36 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

If clan tech is balanced based on omnimechs having downsides, then introducing clan mechs that arnt omnimechs, and thus dont have downsides, and allowing them to use clan tech would clearly be unbalanced.

So I would say the chance of getting non-omni clan mechs is zero, at least until IS can use clan tech too.

Edited by Khobai, 27 May 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#37 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

Whats with the need to get all 3 variants of a mech to master it anyway?

Top Ace tankers didnt have to use an M4A1, M4A2, M4A1 76w to get ace tanker

Micheal Wittman didnt need to use a Tiger A, Tiger B, Tiger C, naw, he used a German Tiger I heavy tank......and he ***** face in it.

Ace pilots didnt need P51A, B,C, ME109F2- F4. K14 to get ace......nope..

There are so many reasons this 3 variant to master thing is soooo stupid.

View PostKhobai, on 27 May 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

If clan tech is balanced based on omnimechs having downsides, then introducing clan mechs that arnt omnimechs, and thus dont have downsides, and allowing them to use clan tech would clearly be unbalanced.

So I would say the chance of getting non-omni clan mechs is zero, at least until IS can use clan tech too.

WHat downsides will omnis have?

#38 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 May 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

As much as I want Supernova in this game, I personally want Kodiak first. I always thought of Kodiak as the Clan version of the Atlas, only better. Those sexy hardpoints are difficult to resist. Not to mention the pissed-off bear's visage.

#39 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

I don't know, the balance for this rules was balanced by the IS mechs beign restricted in customization. But right now, the IS mechs don't really have ANY real restrictions.

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 27 May 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Whats with the need to get all 3 variants of a mech to master it anyway?

Top Ace tankers didnt have to use an M4A1, M4A2, M4A1 76w to get ace tanker

Micheal Wittman didnt need to use a Tiger A, Tiger B, Tiger C, naw, he used a German Tiger I heavy tank......and he ***** face in it.

Ace pilots didnt need P51A, B,C, ME109F2- F4. K14 to get ace......nope..

There are so many reasons this 3 variant to master thing is soooo stupid.

WHat downsides will omnis have?

you can't change structure, engine type, engine rating, JJ's are fixed in their location, FF Armor structure is fixed in the location, Endo Steel structure is fixrd in the location. You can not change CT loadout, so a mech with flamer in CT (Adder) can not remove it.
Gauss, AC's and ER PPK's will have no lower arm actuators.

Oh also, regular heatsinks are also fixed in their location.

So all you can do is swap around the tonnage of Weapons and extra heatsinks.

Edited by Grimmrog, 27 May 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#40 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostGrimmrog, on 27 May 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

I don't know, the balance for this rules was balanced by the IS mechs beign restricted in customization. But right now, the IS mechs don't really have ANY real restrictions.

you can't change structure, engine type, engine rating, JJ's are fixed in their location, FF Armor structure is fixed in the location, Endo Steel structure is fixrd in the location. You can not change CT loadout, so a mech with flamer in CT (Adder) can not remove it.
Gauss, AC's and ER PPK's will have no lower arm actuators.

And the whole point of Omni was to make the mech quicker to repair and change stuff out and to make it mroe versatile to customize........PGI is really lost arent they?

View PostKassatsu, on 27 May 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Wasn't the Black Knight the meta poptart of MW4 days?

Unlimited ammo with like 10 Capacitor PPCs on a JJ equipped mech? yeha, that was all I saw when I went MP with MW4.....

IT was really friggin stupid.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users