244 replies to this topic

#161 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

update;

For all the new peeps a recap.

CM for MW:O goes to reddit, tries to 'manage' community.

Goons Involved, Things Devolve™

Islanders riot.

Chaos.

Islanders still rioting.

CM for MW:O gain 10 exp points and learns not to go into the dark places on the internet in official capacity.

Islanders riot their riot, some post manifestos about leaving riot to riot somewhere else, one posts an ultimatum if CM doesn't apologize, he's going to close down the riot (huh?).

Islanders...well you get it..riot.

CM posts post about riot, saying those people aren't the type we want to riot with anyway.

Islanders...well you know the drill.

STATUS - communify warfare - All systems nominal.

/update

#162 Aeolus Drift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostKaemon, on 28 May 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

update;

For all the new peeps a recap.

CM for MW:O goes to reddit, tries to 'manage' community.

Goons Involved, Things Devolve™

Islanders riot.

Chaos.

Islanders still rioting.

CM for MW:O gain 10 exp points and learns not to go into the dark places on the internet in official capacity.

Islanders riot their riot, some post manifestos about leaving riot to riot somewhere else, one posts an ultimatum if CM doesn't apologize, he's going to close down the riot (huh?).

Islanders...well you get it..riot.

CM posts post about riot, saying those people aren't the type we want to riot with anyway.

Islanders...well you know the drill.

STATUS - communify warfare - All systems nominal.

/update

You seem to live a bubble world where the island riots occurred for no reason what so ever.

#163 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Most of the people who post on /mwo no longer play, and many haven't for at least a year. It's rarely used for discussion of current topics, except when it comes to bashing. So I see no reason for PGI/IGP to support it, and that their recommendation that devs avoid using it, is not surprising.

#164 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 28 May 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Repete; Has numerous posts in /r/mwo. His particular context of posts are purely there to incite of invoke flaming. Especially with his recent posts/conversation with Serious_Table. Pointed and Biased Questsion with remarks that were there to force a 'response'

you get your panties in a bunch over repete?

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

that dood was dribbling over excitement at launch and built himself a cockpit with matching neuro helmet & coolant vest...

the whitest of the white knights... until he realized that he was marooned on an island...

go find me a better boogie man...

#165 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostTheMagician, on 28 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Most of the people who post on /mwo no longer play, and many haven't for at least a year. It's rarely used for discussion of current topics, except when it comes to bashing. So I see no reason for PGI/IGP to support it, and that their recommendation that devs avoid using it, is not surprising.

I don't think you'd have seen nearly as much feedback on this if Niko expressed it as you just did.

#166 8RoundsRapid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 301 posts
  • Locationupriver

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

So what was the point of all this? I honestly don't see an endgame. It doesn't seem to further PGI's goals, it sent ALOT of traffick to r/MWO (aka the enemy), and alienated (even more somehow) a very large portion of the playerbase of MWO and fans of BT/MW. And to what end?

Seriously, Niko, what was the purpose of this? Cuz I can't see any benefit for anybody, not even yourself. This makes you look bad. Like, really bad. If you were one of my employees, I would've fired your sorry ass over this. With anger.

This makes you look petty, incompetent, mean spirited, unprofessional, immature, and just plain stupid. What's worse, your condescending tone and smug attitude toward others whom you disagree with is nothing short of pathetic.

I just don't get it.

But, to be honest, as lame and ridiculous as this situation is, it's just par for the course for PGI. Not all that surprising, really, considering the level of integrity at the top of company.

What's another black eye for PGI, eh Niko? They've made it through so many already, am I right?

#167 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hahaha, oh man this is good. The way Nikky here snapped, pure gold. I knew that PGI wasn't professional, but this is just CAKE. I mean, chocolate, toppings, cherry, EVERYTHING.

Nikolai Lubwhatever, you've really no idea how much of a hole you've dug up for yourself. By all means, keep going, who am I to stop you. This is entertainment.

View PostEyeOne, on 28 May 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I'm not sure I understand why you guys mess with Reddit anyway. Mod your own forums, announce stuff on your own forums and let the fans take care of Reddit in whatever way they see fit. Don't post there, don't link news there, just let it be.

But that's the reasonable thing to do!

But why do that, when you can complicate everything by posting relevant info on Reddit AND Twitter, sites which you cannot moderate, instead of your OWN forums.

Edited by DeadlyNerd, 28 May 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#168 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Your rollout of CW 0.5 is disappoint...

Also, dont go where the trolls are. Your less likely to get trolled.

Seriously PGI, in todays social savvy world, you are taking a lot of risk using Twitter, Facebook, reddit et al... for engaging the community. Stick to announcements and the forums. And uninstall the Condescending Module 2.0.

Seriously

#169 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

View PostGlory, on 28 May 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

I don't really know what the eff is going on here and I'm not sure I care.

But I guess I'm in clan "White Knight", so I'll do that sh*t.

Y'all are all being ridiculous. It's a video game. For those who are seriously so sad that they spend hours trolling and complaining about a game they no longer play (which they left to play a game that still doesn't exist yet), just... go have a beer and live. For those getting butthurt about those people... go have a beer and live.

The rest of us, avert your eyes from the trainwreck between the two. Have a beer. Live.

Let's go, people.

For some people it is a video game, for others video gaming is their hobby or their 'beer'. Some have vast emotional connections to the lore, others might have the same emotional connection due to the time they played the previous games or even earlier in this games cycle. Glory I remember when all of us were on IRC way before beta chatting up about experiences we had with other games. People don't just gather like that willy nilly, they do so out of love or passion for what they like.

Some folks get worked up sure, some folks don't like how things are going and maybe feel they have waited long enough for change, others might be willing to wait as long as it takes and just ride it out as it is.

Roadbeer is upset because he feels the company's representative (Niko) has insulted all their customers. His opinion is correct since it is his and from knowing him he is just as passionate about the IP as the whitest of knights.

/r/mwo folks are upset because they aren't all mechwarriorbuddah although it seems to them they got thrown into that same boat. They are justifiably upset because they don't deserve that criticism. Regardless if they have negative feelings about the game or not, they aren't all evil trolls out for blood from PGI.

Emotional connections to the IP drive us to speak out, positive or negatively. We all might need to reflect on things before we speak, but just pushing it to the side doesn't solve the issues some are having.

Is a breather needed by some? Yeah probably.

Should the issues brought up be discussed and hopefully resolved? Absolutely.

#170 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

In the closed beta days we used to discuss Entitlement. Everything that is happening here is entitlement run amok.

PGI needs to get out of the business of trying to please everyone with friendly dev interaction (rewarding rampant entitlement) because it just feeds the crowd of vocal griefers. A lot of "island" comments and perceived blow offs from PGI occur because any opinion they give can be taken at least two ways (politics 101) and used against them by detractors. PGI is having to defend comments, restate opinions, apologize etc.. then they are over extended.

PGI needs to close their PR doors, stand their ground, limit their communication to the general public with well constructed, informative announcements rather than apologetic, peace brokering trying to separate themselves from the haters. Thats an impossible battle even for a huge game developer much less a small team like PGI and this current dev model.

Premium players should have a separate section in the forum where their posts are responded to with more consideration and frequency. Non premium players should be free to post in all the other sections as it is now and should be responded to when reply or moderation is needed.. not demanded. This forum is wide open and at the mercy of griefers. Devs and mods shouldn't have to dance to all the gun shots at their feet. If a player wants their opinion to be considered separately from the tide of mostly hate posts, a premium account is not an unreasonable requirement.

Yep I said it. Let the flaming begin. btw, Im not a premium member.

#171 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostTheMagician, on 28 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

It's full of people who want to play. r/mwo is a wellspring of former but yet (still, amazingly) potential customers who are hoping PGI can make some basic changes with A) balance (this is the overwhelming issue that you see over and over) and :ph34r: communication. If this thread is any indication, point B seems to be failing pursuit.

#172 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostInterceptor12, on 28 May 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

You seem to live a bubble world where the island riots occurred for no reason what so ever.

Not bubble...island.

And they occur for a reason, it's just the reasons seem to be getting smaller and smaller every riot.

I'm not a supporting of the direction of this game, so sheath your pitchfork, I'm saying that we can probably dial down the outrage when PGI doesn't live up to the notion of a crack AAA IP house, because they were never this.

We seem to be holding them to a standard that they have never reached, which is a bit unfair.

#173 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 28 May 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

In the closed beta days we used to discuss Entitlement. Everything that is happening here is entitlement run amok.

PGI needs to get out of the business of trying to please everyone with friendly dev interaction (rewarding rampant entitlement) because it just feeds the crowd of vocal griefers. A lot of "island" comments and perceived blow offs from PGI occur because any opinion they give can be taken at least two ways (politics 101) and used against them by detractors. PGI is having to defend comments, restate opinions, apologize etc.. then they are over extended.

PGI needs to close their PR doors, stand their ground, limit their communication to the general public with well constructed, informative announcements rather than apologetic, peace brokering trying to separate themselves from the haters. Thats an impossible battle even for a huge game developer much less a small team like PGI and this current dev model.

Premium players should have a separate section in the forum where their posts are responded to with more consideration and frequency. Non premium players should be free to post in all the other sections as it is now and should be responded to when reply or moderation is needed.. not demanded. This forum is wide open and at the mercy of griefers. Devs and mods shouldn't have to dance to all the gun shots at their feet. If a player wants their opinion to be considered separately from the tide of mostly hate posts, a premium account is not an unreasonable requirement.

Ugh, separation by paywall?

I would say to this good sir, boo-erns.

Edited by Kaemon, 28 May 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#174 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostSLDF DeathlyEyes, on 28 May 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Niko's comments pissed off the guy who has power over the HPG subreddit and now if Niko doesn't apologize that subreddit (which PGI uses as it's semi official subreddit) will be shutdown.

That's even worse. Ha

Edited by Sarlic, 28 May 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#175 Bongfu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 28 May 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

What about founders? People who put money in at every overpriced content packages? Those people should have a developer forum like they do in Warframe. Founders of Warframe actually get to SHAPE the development of the game because the company engages them and their feedback. They see real progress in how the game is turning out.

I don't know if it is too late for PGI to change their stars on this, but that is something that should have happened a long time ago. That kind of model goes a long way of keeping people happy, informed, and optimistic.

#176 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 28 May 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I'm not sure I understand why you guys mess with Reddit anyway. Mod your own forums, announce stuff on your own forums and let the fans take care of Reddit in whatever way they see fit. Don't post there, don't link news there, just let it be.

Exactly

#177 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

I find it sad that hate filled bitter vets in MWO are content to invest time to disrupt, harass and threaten PGI/IGP staff. Whatever feelings might be held towards these entities for your misgivings around the production of MWO the people who make this game are human beings, treat them as such. That's not to paint a fluffy picture of MWO either we're all aware that mistakes have been made, deadlines were not met and communication was thin on the ground in periods since launch. Yet rational cool headed and honest discussion is really the tools to be used here as Niko points out in his piece.

There are a lot of vet players, decent, competitive players who still enjoy and see a positive future for MWO. These individuals and teams alongside many others in the community have engaged in ways with the powers that be to yield progression for a game many of us enjoy through honest, respectful dialogue. When a strong front is needed, when the only response should be 'NO' that can still be done in a positive manner. It does not mean sending death threats on twitter to PGI/IGP staff.

People need to grow up a bit and take control of their lives here, If you don't like the game cos of X or Y, take a break, or don't play and focus your efforts in ways that yield enjoyment for you in your free time. /r/mwo is a platform, not a problem, attitudes and actions of some individuals are however.

I would also say to PGI/IGP you should listen to the community. Meet the standards you expect of the community, there is no need to be mocking and condescending. There are some among us who have probably spent more hours invested in furthering previous iterations of MechWarrior games than anyone in your offices. This game won't be a success without your community and the community wont have a game without the developers and publishers. It's in both parties interest to work together so everyone wins.

Edited by John Clavell, 28 May 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#178 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 28 May 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

As this thread have shown, r/mwo is still a shithole and you should all feel bad for arguing otherwise.

+1 Just, because.

#179 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Just ban troublesome players. MWO teams do it all the time. Addition by subtraction.

#180 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 28 May 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Thank you for sticking by and have a good day. :ph34r:

I'm glad you got this off your chest, it has been a long time coming. The game is making steady progress and it's time to address the ugly side of the community for what they've degenerated into, entitled children who are upset you don't hold them in higher esteem than the rest of the silent majority. They are the classic example of "special snowflakes", both bitter and jaded. I understand you let your human side get the better of you in the heat of passionate discourse, and understand their outrage of the behavior of a professional that represents a company. Now that your head is no longer buried in the sand and you've stood up to bullies, I hope the community lends some respect for having the brass to speak your mind.

They get away with murder bashing PGI the way they do, and I totally understand why they're confined to Reddit where they can use mob mentality tactics to strong arm and distort the truth. Sites that use voting systems are subject to manipulation via scripts, multiple accounts, etc and are a bullies paradise for making it seem like the majority agrees with their narrow viewpoints. It's no surprise they are beginning to pile on the hate here too, because it takes the heat off their own sadistic actions. Best of luck with this situation. I take no issue with anything that was said and your apology letter was appropriate imo.

Cheers

Edited by lockwoodx, 28 May 2014 - 08:13 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users