263 replies to this topic

#181 Tarzilman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Good point, Catalina! I totally forgot that. The engine-cap for some AWS chassis is much to low. Dunno how often I sat there, trying out some builds in smurfys, finally getting angry because of the wasted capabilities within some builds.

@Lightning: Allthough there's a big bunch of great mechs and builds (no metas!) in my mechbay and they'll gonna kick some hairy clan ass. But to see an overhauled and much more viable Awesome on the battlefield would make things even better.

Edited by Tarzilman, 07 June 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#182 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Tarzilman, 07 June 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#183 Catalina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

#184 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Time for a new SLDF!

#185 Huntrava

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'm still waiting for the game to be released. The VLOG makes it clear the game is still in beta.

#186 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 June 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

1- LRMs are fine, and that module will not stop a good spotter from ruining your day. It actually counters players who use LRMs NOT as intended, as direct fire weapons, when they clearly aren't.

Since when were LRM's not a direct-fire weapon? :ph34r:

#187 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostWolfways, on 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Since when were LRM's not a direct-fire weapon? :ph34r:

I should have made my phrasing better. Some players use LRMs specifically at 200 meters, taking a stalker LRM boat and specifically using it for short range combat, and not to support their team. That's the playstyle that will specifically be hit by this module.

#188 Dr HaxZaw

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

I should have made my phrasing better. Some players use LRMs specifically at 200 meters, taking a stalker LRM boat and specifically using it for short range combat, and not to support their team. That's the playstyle that will specifically be hit by this module.

So you see no issue with an LRM boat that is able to core a centre torso from 800m away with no aiming required other than keeping their aimer somewhere roughly on the other mech?

#189 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostDr HaxZaw, on 08 June 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

So you see no issue with an LRM boat that is able to core a centre torso from 800m away with no aiming required other than keeping their aimer somewhere roughly on the other mech?

Yes. That's what long range fire support units should be doing, and that's what Streak LRMs were intended for. (What we have in MW:O isn't regular LRMs, rather Streak LRMs, not available until 3057 as experimental clan weapons). On thee other hand, we have all kinds of counters for LRMs, and they required a coordinated effort to work.

When a mech uses LRMs the trade off is that it's tonnage is not on the front line, and needs someone else to spot for it. If you have a problem with LRMs, then you should have a problem with Gauss Rifles, ERPPCs, and ERLLs. As they can core another mech from 800+ meters with no aiming required other than "keeping their aimer somewhere roughly on the other mech" At least LRMs spread, those weapons deal full damage in one shot.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 08 June 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#190 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Why must the developers persist in this, or any, "balancing" system? The idea of knowing so much of the composition of the opposing team is dismaying. Balancing strictly by class doesn't take into account the specs of the mech or the skill of the pilot so it isn't really balancing at all.

More importantly, this "4x3" scheme prevents the "pick your mech after you know the map" idea, which is what we should have.

"4x3" is going to be a game killer. In marching towards it PGI is also marching towards the edge of a very high, very metaphorical cliff :)

Edited by Exarch Levin, 08 June 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#191 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

View PostExarch Levin, on 08 June 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

More importantly, this "4x3" scheme prevents the "pick your mech after you know the map" idea, which is what we should have.

"4x3" is going to be a game killer. In marching towards it PGI is also marching towards the edge of a very high, very metaphorical cliff ;)

Well it is true that even just a satellitar scan of the planet may give you info about possible battle sites before a drop, but in game i think it is better if we do not know the map, so we will be forced to bring balanced builds that can work in any (or most) ambients and maps. This is for casual drops anyway.

P.S. Actually a simple MechWarrior in any House/Clan/Mercenary unit had a BattleMech assigned to him and hardly he would keep his own stable of 50 'Mechs that he could choose among :)

#192 Dr HaxZaw

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

Yes. That's what long range fire support units should be doing, and that's what Streak LRMs were intended for. (What we have in MW:O isn't regular LRMs, rather Streak LRMs, not available until 3057 as experimental clan weapons). On thee other hand, we have all kinds of counters for LRMs, and they required a coordinated effort to work.

When a mech uses LRMs the trade off is that it's tonnage is not on the front line, and needs someone else to spot for it. If you have a problem with LRMs, then you should have a problem with Gauss Rifles, ERPPCs, and ERLLs. As they can core another mech from 800+ meters with no aiming required other than "keeping their aimer somewhere roughly on the other mech" At least LRMs spread, those weapons deal full damage in one shot.

LRM Counters:
ECM - Countered by Tag at 750m and NARC
AMS - Countered by mechs like the ROFLPULT or any situation where there are multiple LRM streams incoming
Cover - Have you seen the trajectory on those things? You need some seriously tall cover or you need to get out of vision of all enemy mechs as soon as the LRMs are launched.

Also max range on any ac weapon to get max damage is 720m with an ac2, a gauss is 660m off the top of my head. So these clearly match up to the max damage at 1000m with your LRMs.
Now on to your laughable statement that coring a mech at 800m with a gauss or ERPPC or ERLL requires nothing more than keeping the aimer roughly on the other mech. Do you understand what I mean when I say core someone? As in shoot through the armour on the centre torso, not the left or the right torso or an arm the CENTRE TORSO. Now if I put you in a mech even with advanced zoom and you try and core a mech at 1000m you'll run into a few issues:
1) At 800m your weapons aren't doing their normal amount of damage so the ammo wastage is an issue because you don't get a huge amount of ammo per tonne
2) The travel time of a shot for ERPPCs and the AC weapons is huge so any mech moving at a decent speed (even assaults at range are hard to pick out a section of torso) requires a certain level of skill to judge how much of a lead is needed
3) Good luck hitting a light at 800m and doing significant damage with any of the above weapons
4) You can shoot them and hence and thereforce by the logic of all direct fire weapons they can shoot you, therefore any possible damage you do is counterbalanced by the likelyhood that the other team will return fire.

As you can see from these 4 points none of which apply to LRMs. When I can run an LRM60 stalker with enough ammo to last me the entire game with TAG, there is no counter. I get a person in the group to run a DDC and we have a merry old time not getting shot at.

The number of players I see in a game who struggle to pilot a mech let alone aim and are relying soley upon LRMs to do damage and get kills annoys the crap out of me. Its like the 12 year olds that run around with a grenade launcher in COD because they aren't willing to put in the hard work to be a better player. And we all know where the COD series has ended up.

Edited by Dr HaxZaw, 10 June 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#193 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostDr HaxZaw, on 10 June 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

LRM Counters:
ECM - Countered by Tag at 750m and NARC
AMS - Countered by mechs like the ROFLPULT or any situation where there are multiple LRM streams incoming
Cover - Have you seen the trajectory on those things? You need some seriously tall cover or you need to get out of vision of all enemy mechs as soon as the LRMs are launched.

Also max range on any ac weapon to get max damage is 720m with an ac2, a gauss is 660m off the top of my head. So these clearly match up to the max damage at 1000m with your LRMs.
Now on to your laughable statement that coring a mech at 800m with a gauss or ERPPC or ERLL requires nothing more than keeping the aimer roughly on the other mech. Do you understand what I mean when I say core someone? As in shoot through the armour on the centre torso, not the left or the right torso or an arm the CENTRE TORSO. Now if I put you in a mech even with advanced zoom and you try and core a mech at 1000m you'll run into a few issues:
1) At 800m your weapons aren't doing their normal amount of damage so the ammo wastage is an issue because you don't get a huge amount of ammo per tonne
2) The travel time of a shot for ERPPCs and the AC weapons is huge so any mech moving at a decent speed (even assaults at range are hard to pick out a section of torso) requires a certain level of skill to judge how much of a lead is needed
3) Good luck hitting a light at 800m and doing significant damage with any of the above weapons
4) You can shoot them and hence and thereforce by the logic of all direct fire weapons they can shoot you, therefore any possible damage you do is counterbalanced by the likelyhood that the other team will return fire.

As you can see from these 4 points none of which apply to LRMs. When I can run an LRM60 stalker with enough ammo to last me the entire game with TAG, there is no counter. I get a person in the group to run a DDC and we have a merry old time not getting shot at.

The number of players I see in a game who struggle to pilot a mech let alone aim and are relying soley upon LRMs to do damage and get kills annoys the crap out of me. Its like the 12 year olds that run around with a grenade launcher in COD because they aren't willing to put in the hard work to be a better player. And we all know where the COD series has ended up.

What's hilarious is your analysis.

Don't get me wrong, you've got some good points there. However, it's still very flawed, and yes, aiming is still about the same, only difference is that unlike LRMs the sniper's shot doesn't scatter and deal almost nothing and completely miss, due to any one factor jumping in.

I'm going to go step by step with your post.

1-Counters to LRMs:

A- ECM: Currently almost everyone is complaining about how OP ECM is (I frankly don't see it, and think NARC should never break through it) still stacks, keeps you stealthed up unless people get within 750 to use tag, or 170 to use BAP. Still a great counter to LRMs, and having even one online can ruin an LRM boat's day, having two stay together will virtually guarantee no LRM effectiveness.

B- Regardless of streams, and like the 2 people that play a roflpult, massed AMS will negate most of the damage, if not flat out remove the entire salvo. Unless you have multiple assault/heavy LRM boats with high tube counts, and even then it's still effective. If you have no ECM on your team, or any brain cells to use cover, then it wouldn't matter if you had all the counters.

C- Hence why we say learn to use cover. Also, not all maps are equal. For example: Caustic Valley, and Alpine peaks are the two best maps for LRMs, river city, Crimson Strait, and Terra Therma on the other hand spell 0 effectiveness for LRM boats.

No other system in the game has that many direct counters, and no system should ever have hard counters, just soft counters to make your mistakes less glaring. You're not supposed to be immune from LRMs, and by god if you are running across open terrain I should hope you get turned into a crater, because that's what's supposed to happen. (the "you" in this case is hypothetical, and not aimed at you personally, English is a funny language like that)

2- Weapon restrictions:

Have you ever played an LRM boat? If you had you wouldn't put this point up. LRM boats sacrifice, mobility, survivability (90% of them have XL engines), and firepower (almost no backup weapons), to try and fit ammo in. What happens 2 seconds after they fire their salvo, locks are gone, and there goes a full 50 missiles down the drain. Or the missiles get close, and AMS just shreds the entire salvo. Every mech should be mounting AMS, if you don't put AMS you are taking a risk, and need to compensate for it (again, a general you, not personal you)

As for aiming and hitting a light. I can fire a 90 missile salvo, and I will guarantee you that 90% of the salvo will miss my Commando. If not more. Not hitting lights at 800 meters is a universal problem, it's their only defense. As for retaliation, let me ask you this.

Would you rather face to BLR-1Ds strapping UAC5+2AC2s? Or one? If the answer is one, that already invalidates your points. When a mech is boating LRMs that's extra tonnage that you don't have to face or worry about shooting. Someone engages you and they receive LRM support? You can easily either close in and put them between you and the LRMs, or use cover to make sure you don't get hit, while having to deal with only 1 target. Once the opponent is down, or lose lock on you. You are free to then find that other mech, (which can't fight in a close up brawl) and kill it alone.

It's a trade off system. The 4 points you've raised are at best weak, and at worst, poorly thought out. I'm not trying to be insulting, but you are going after things that bother you, while apparently not trying to counter them, or adapt to them.

You also criticize LRM boating as not being a "good player", LRM boaters can be great players, if you want to be an elitist, then I won't bother arguing with you. However, I'll show you why your analysis is flawed and wrong.

Every point you complained about has one route, ineffective counter play. That's the pilot's problem, when you are the target, learn how to deal with it, and what works best.

Here are the real problems with LRMs:
1- Fast cycle time
2- Disorienting cockpit shake
3- Minimal damage forcing players to take massive tonnage and space for ammo alone (my BLR-1S has about 2500 LRMs, and can fit up to 3000 if I wanted it to)
4- No incentives to use less ammo (the only time I think R&R might be a good thing)

These are genuine mechanical problems with LRMs that need fixing, not what you pointed out, which can be fixed by simply using ECM, or AMS, or hiding behind a wall.

If LRMs were to do double damage, and take double cycling time, they would be in a much better place than they are now. They are in a great spot right now, but there is still room for improvement. With double-double, the DPS is the same, but they annoying cockpit shake and disorientation factor is brought down to a minimum, it also allows mechs to actually close the distance, if they play their cards right and decide to charge the LRM boat.

The missiles are dealing peanuts in damage, so I bring with me over 11 tons of ammo, to compensate, when I can get similar numbers in my Orion while running a brawler set up with a much bigger engine. LRM boats have no incentive to use their space and tonnage for anything other than ammo.

Those are the things that need fixing, mechanically speaking, LRMs are mostly fine. Counter play for them is good enough, and at some points flat out broken, (stacked ECM, good luck NARCing, or BAPing over that)

EDIT: yes, aiming is just that by the way. You keep your reticle on the enemy in close ranges, or when they are headed for you or stopped. Or you lead the shot in front of them. at 800 meters PPCs deal full damage, and Gauss deals almost full damage, since it extends to 1690.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 10 June 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#194 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 09 June 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

P.S. Actually a simple MechWarrior in any House/Clan/Mercenary unit had a BattleMech assigned to him and hardly he would keep his own stable of 50 'Mechs that he could choose among ^_^

Not to mention that you can't retroactively change what you loaded in the dropship before you left home.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 June 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

As for aiming and hitting a light. I can fire a 90 missile salvo, and I will guarantee you that 90% of the salvo will miss my Commando. If not more. Not hitting lights at 800 meters is a universal problem, it's their only defense. As for retaliation, let me ask you this.

This is definitely a thing. If I got hit by missiles in my lights, it's because either I made a mistake, or the enemy is doing some kind of crazy self-spotting build with TAG and short range AND isn't alone at the same time, since if they were, I could just get under the min range and laser their face off.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 June 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

If LRMs were to do double damage, and take double cycling time, they would be in a much better place than they are now. They are in a great spot right now, but there is still room for improvement. With double-double, the DPS is the same, but they annoying cockpit shake and disorientation factor is brought down to a minimum, it also allows mechs to actually close the distance, if they play their cards right and decide to charge the LRM boat.

That is an interesting idea. I don't know if it would work out well, but your argument has merit. I'd be willing to try it for a patch or two if the devs wanted and see if it was an improvement.

#195 Dr HaxZaw

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

3- Minimal damage forcing players to take massive tonnage and space for ammo alone (my BLR-1S has about 2500 LRMs, and can fit up to 3000 if I wanted it to)

I run an LRM60 stalker with tag, about 1400 ammo. I average 700-800 damage a game with about 4 kills with it. Its incredibly boring and easy unless the other team is running a lot of ecm in which case its just a bit of a hassle. I bought this mech purely so I could have a gauge on how OP LRMs are.

Now go out and get an assault mech without LRMs and try and match those stats and still end the game with 99% armour. Until that changes LRMs will remain OP in my book.

#196 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostDr HaxZaw, on 11 June 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

I run an LRM60 stalker with tag, about 1400 ammo. I average 700-800 damage a game with about 4 kills with it. Its incredibly boring and easy unless the other team is running a lot of ecm in which case its just a bit of a hassle. I bought this mech purely so I could have a gauge on how OP LRMs are.

Now go out and get an assault mech without LRMs and try and match those stats and still end the game with 99% armour. Until that changes LRMs will remain OP in my book.

In that case, nothing I say can convince you otherwise, because you seem to completely neglect any pilot responsibility. As such, I will not continue this debate, as it no longer is a debate.

You go with your opinion, and I will go with mine.

#197 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

I would love to remind you all that you can also bring 30 LRMs on a Catapult and have fun with it. Not necessarily 80 tubes and 1200 ammo..

#198 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSleipnir Cameron

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Lower the arc of the LRM missles themselves back to earlier game designs, I dare you. if an LRM boat had to keep their target within the point and shoot arc or that of 30% of the current missle arc, lrms wouldn't be an issue, they would require maneuvering and skill to make work. Hell, just taking the insane tracking ability they have since they behave like laser guided missles *without narc or tag* and MOST lrm haters would be happy.

#199 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostSoHxPaladin, on 11 June 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Lower the arc of the LRM missles themselves back to earlier game designs, I dare you. if an LRM boat had to keep their target within the point and shoot arc or that of 30% of the current missle arc, lrms wouldn't be an issue, they would require maneuvering and skill to make work. Hell, just taking the insane tracking ability they have since they behave like laser guided missles *without narc or tag* and MOST lrm haters would be happy.

Actually they wouldn't be viable, and would be reduced to weapons that are used at under 300 meters. Right now, they already require positioning, maneuvering and what you're describing is standard LRMs. Which we should have had in the game. Instead we have Streak LRMs. Honestly, the only people that keep complaining about LRMs are the ones that don't adapt to them, or learn to counter them.

#200 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostJetfire, on 28 May 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

You would just save it from match to match until you got the opportunity to use it. I'm not sure how that is a huge issue. Arty spam due to the current power is kind of silly and nerfing the damage will make it irrelevant again. Keeping the solid damage but decreasing the frequency seems like the only sensible route. That or titanium umbrella hats.

Or just do the sensible thing, pay attention and if you see red smoke, move out of the drop path. Same thing with all the whining about LRM's, find some cover, outfit some AMS and don't stand out in the open to get lurm'ed to death.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users