82 replies to this topic

#1 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I think this will add more incentive to pop-tart and I for one would never pop-tart without this module.

Let's discuss... I would add a poll but #LostTech <-(Yup, I had to add that part)

Posted Image

This was my face after I heard about that module.

Edited by Imperius, 28 May 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#2 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Won't this also be the first Module that negates another Module, or is it only going to effect basic target decay? It's probably going to become the de facto must have module for everyone, especially Hill Humpers & Jump Snipers.

I worry about lone LRM launchers becoming wasted space again if this does become as prolific as I've imagined.

EDIT: It will be interesting if this or 3/3/3/3 will actually create an uptick in actual scouting Mechs, and less light PPC ERLL ECM peek-a-boo snipers.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 28 May 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#3 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

the reign of timbertarts is inevitable.

#4 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 28 May 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Won't this also be the first Module that negates another Module, or is it only going to effect basic target decay? It's probably going to become the de facto must have module for everyone, especially Hill Humpers & Jump Snipers.

I worry about lone LRM launchers becoming wasted space again if this does become as prolific as I've imagined.

Yes it completely negates another module a system of balance they said they never wanted to do...and magnifies an already abundant jump sniper dominant meta.

#5 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 28 May 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Oh trust me my Timbertart will tart sooo hard mother******* wont find me "negate decay". What she order? Jump Snipe play! <- bad pun on NigNParis

#6 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 28 May 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostImperius, on 28 May 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

Oh trust me my Timbertart will tart sooo hard mother******* wont find me "negate decay". What she order? Jump Snipe play! <- bad pun on NigNParis

Have they announced if you can add JJ's to a clan variant that doesn't carry them? Because if you can't, Timber Wolfs won't be poptarting since none of the variants announced uses JJ's. Mad Cats will always land on their feet because they don't jump.

#7 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Have they announced if you can add JJ's to a clan variant that doesn't carry them? Because if you can't, Timber Wolfs won't be poptarting since none of the variants announced uses JJ's. Mad Cats will always land on their feet because they don't jump.

Where have you been? lol :D
  • Alt. Config. S A highly maneuverable urban combat configuration of the Timber Wolf, the S mounts five jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and fifty meters. To offset the inaccuracy from using jump jets, the S configuration is armed with a Large Pulse Laser backed up by two Medium Pulse Lasers. The S configuration also carries four SRM-6 launchers and two Machine Guns, making it a deadly close combat fighter.

Here,this is the clan mech variant list that will be launching on the 17th per russ's AMA on reddit.I know...it's ******** that reddit/twitter/facebook is where things like this are announced...

"I actually feel the command chair area has released almost everything as to how they will work and function, please have a look there again. However I do have the Variant list at this point which I can share.
• Adder:
o Prime
o A
o D
• Dire Wolf:
o Prime
o A
o B
• Kit Fox:
o Prime
o D
o S
• Nova:
o Prime
o B
o S
• Stormcrow:
o Prime
o C
o D
• Summoner:
o Prime
o B
o D
• Timber Wolf:
o Prime
o C
o S
• Warhawk:
o Prime
o A
o B
The actual load outs will be shared on the web site very soon but Im sure you can look these up on Sarna and basically understand what your getting."

Edited by Alexandrix, 28 May 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#8 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

the timberwolf s(timbertart) has 5 jumpjets, so you better be ready to bow before your glorious timbertart overlords.

#9 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

But which module will they replace.

Can they afford to go without any of the modules they have equipped at the moment?

Dodging LRMs is easy.

That is what I would call a noob module. It's something a new pilot can use until they get use to evading LRMs without having to use the noob module.

#10 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostAlexandrix, on 28 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

Where have you been? lol :D
  • Alt. Config. S A highly maneuverable urban combat configuration of the Timber Wolf, the S mounts five jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and fifty meters. To offset the inaccuracy from using jump jets, the S configuration is armed with a Large Pulse Laser backed up by two Medium Pulse Lasers. The S configuration also carries four SRM-6 launchers and two Machine Guns, making it a deadly close combat fighter.
Here,this is the clan mech variant list that will be launching on the 17th per russ's AMA on reddit.I know...it's ******** that reddit/twitter/facebook is where things like this are announced...

"I actually feel the command chair area has released almost everything as to how they will work and function, please have a look there again. However I do have the Variant list at this point which I can share.
• Adder:
o Prime
o A
o D
• Dire Wolf:
o Prime
o A
o B
• Kit Fox:
o Prime
o D
o S
• Nova:
o Prime
o B
o S
• Stormcrow:
o Prime
o C
o D
• Summoner:
o Prime
o B
o D
• Timber Wolf:
o Prime
o C
o S
• Warhawk:
o Prime
o A
o B
The actual load outs will be shared on the web site very soon but Im sure you can look these up on Sarna and basically understand what your getting."

View PostHellcat420, on 28 May 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

the timberwolf s(timbertart) has 5 jumpjets, so you better be ready to bow before your glorious timbertart overlords.

I had seen the S variants listed, but thought it was a typo, as those variants came out in TRO:3050 Upgrade. If they are still going by their timeline plan, the S variant states that it came about from experience fighting Inner Shere forces. Only the Prime and A thru D variants should be available during the intial invasion. I guess ultimately if they want to include it they can, but most of the 'new' variants listed in that TRO came about after the invasion, like the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat E and H that used ATM's and Heavy lasers.

Guess jumping timbertarts will be the new overlords :lol:.

#11 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostImperius, on 28 May 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

#12 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 28 May 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

sure, the thing is that if a clan mech equips a ppc, autocannon or gauss they lose the actuator that makes lateral arm movement possible so it'll make it a little less favoritble
That in addition to the low slung arms
anybody using chicken walking poptarts as opposed to humanoid poptarts will be severely gimping themselves.

Edited by Destructicus, 28 May 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Slapping this on a poptart is something of a waste, methinks. Obviously it’ll be a good boost to their ability to avoid counterfire, but poptarts are already poptarting to avoid counterfire anyways. Doesn’t matter if you can hold your lock an extra few seconds most of the time.

No no no. The real big-ticket for this one is going to be strikers. Like I mentioned in the official feedback thread, this thing is going to make light, agile strikers in cluttered terrain into veritable ghosts. Imagine trying to track a Commando in a city with this module. Or better yet, the Stormcrow this sucker’s going into as soon as the 17th hits. The minute you break LoS, you fall off the face of the earth as far as enemy sensor systems is concerned. That’s going to ease a striker’s approaches to the targets he wishes to strike immensely; smart use of this module with covered approaches may very well almost live up to ECM levels of watdafuqery.

This is the sort of thing we need to see more of in the modules system, honestly. Powerful effects that have distinct advantages for specific roles on the battlefield. Not 2 meters’ extra range for flamers. I mean really.

#14 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Why not simply eliminate LRM's?
Or PGI could just double the damage ppc's and ac's do. then no one would ever run anything but poptarts and only a poptart could kill another poptart. I really think PGI should remove the leadchips from their daily snacks.

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

View Post1453 R, on 28 May 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

This is the sort of thing we need to see more of in the modules system, honestly. Powerful effects that have distinct advantages for specific roles on the battlefield. Not 2 meters’ extra range for flamers. I mean really.

Unfortunately, many of the existing player base know nothing else except "Module XXX is OP! Make it as dumb as the rest!", the one-dimensional thinkers that they are. :D

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

Unintended consequences™.

#17 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 28 May 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

I had seen the S variants listed, but thought it was a typo, as those variants came out in TRO:3050 Upgrade. If they are still going by their timeline plan, the S variant states that it came about from experience fighting Inner Shere forces. Only the Prime and A thru D variants should be available during the intial invasion. I guess ultimately if they want to include it they can, but most of the 'new' variants listed in that TRO came about after the invasion, like the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat E and H that used ATM's and Heavy lasers.

Guess jumping timbertarts will be the new overlords :D.

Master unit list for Battletech actually lists the production of the S-config at 3050- so it came along very early in the Clan invasion. And yes. It's gonna be a Clan staple, one would think. Long as poptarting is king.

#18 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Can anyone source any official mechanics regarding Instant Target Decay v [Advanced] Target Decay?

I'd assume that it wouldn't simply override it. Rather, it'd probably just remove the base Target Decay, leaving only the module-based bonus Target Decay (IIRC 2.5s for standard or 3s for advanced).

#19 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 28 May 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Can anyone source any official mechanics regarding Instant Target Decay v [Advanced] Target Decay?

I'd assume that it wouldn't simply override it. Rather, it'd probably just remove the base Target Decay, leaving only the module-based bonus Target Decay (IIRC 2.5s for standard or 3s for advanced).

According to the way the dev explained it it negates all locks once there is no line of sight. Hopefully Team locks will still count otherwise this will be a must have module. More OP than ECM only those you can see can shoot you... Or know your location.

Edited by Imperius, 28 May 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#20 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

you can only get this module by preordering right?

if so this will be the strongest pay to win item in the game and it truely wil be pay to win.

if you can get it with cbills later then.... its just plain OP.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users