115 replies to this topic

#61 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostLunatech, on 31 May 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Or the Tag + NARC Raven can go and designate priority targets for focus fire. Quite possibly saving 11 team mates. There's also this crazy thing called "fun". Wonder if you've heard of it?

Tell me, have you ever enjoyed a game where you lost?

You remind me of someone I saw in game on Friday morning. We lost 12-10 and he died early. Clearly he was spectating me and after I went down he chimed in about how useless the Guass Raven is. After I stated that I have fun with it and am not a detriment to the team, he informed me that only winning is fun and I know nothing about piloting lights. The last part may be true, but I did far better than he did in his Ember, so...

I can assure you, i don't die early in a game. in fact i mostly die with at least 1 a 3 kill.
and as fact i got my stats to back up my claim, unlike you.

and yea, win more then loss.

and no i don't enjoy losing, only losers enjoy losing it's in their nature to do so.

Edited by Abisha, 31 May 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#62 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostAbisha, on 31 May 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I can assure you, i don't die early in a game. in fact i mostly die with at least 1 a 3 kill.

I'm not saying anything about how you play. I've never seen you play so I can't comment, nor would I.

The part that caused me to make the connection was the way you said that a Raven would be better off sniping than playing as part of the team tagging for missile boats.

There is nowhere in the meta for NARC/Tagging because there is barely any use at all for LRM's. So naturally the Ravens you see in comp play are mostly sniping.

That won't stop me from fitting mine with a NARC next time I get the chance because it seems like FUN to be the cause of so much rage (I've been NARC'd once and it was horrible).

But you have your stats to back you up. Mine would clearly never stand up to such close scrutiny.
I'll tell you a secret:
I have a mech with a KDR of 0.47. Should I uninstall the game?

Your epeen is indeed much bigger than mine. Good for you -_-

Edited by Lunatech, 31 May 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#63 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostDymlos2003, on 31 May 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

All stats should be invisible. Even kills and damage done should be excluded from the end screen.

This comes up all the time and the fact remains that making the stats invisible does not cause them to cease to exist.

#64 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 31 May 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

This comes up all the time and the fact remains that making the stats invisible does not cause them to cease to exist.

So? People won't know therefore won't care. Stats in the backend for match making and crap. We don't need to know this stuff nor does it matter. It should disappear.

#65 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostDymlos2003, on 31 May 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

So? People won't know therefore won't care. Stats in the backend for match making and crap. We don't need to know this stuff nor does it matter. It should disappear.

What if I like stats being there? What harm comes from them existing?

#66 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 31 May 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

E-peen and ********. Stats are not needed in a mechwarrior game.

Why do you like them? They don't show how good you are.

#67 Red King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLancashire, United Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Refer to my earlier posts stating that selfish &or cowardly behaviour would ensue to preserve higher stats

#68 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

Nothing wrong with Stats being visible to the owner of those stats. It helps them track thier own preformance. Instead of just relying on feel.

#69 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 31 May 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

E-peen and ********. Stats are not needed in a mechwarrior game.

Why do you like them? They don't show how good you are.

I didn't know epeen harmed you.

I like them because it gives some kind of numerical indication as to my improvement. While they may not directly show how good you are entirely, there certainly is a strong correlation between good stats and player quality. Good players have good stats, this is fairly universal between all games despite people trying to argue otherwise.

View PostAkagami, on 31 May 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Refer to my earlier posts stating that selfish &or cowardly behaviour would ensue to preserve higher stats

Short of people hiding at the end of a match this doesn't happen nearly as often as people argue that it does.

Not everyone has the information necessary nor the skill to determine when to push around a corner. It's important for players who do recognize those opportunities to take point. People will follow.

#70 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 31 May 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

I didn't know epeen harmed you.

I like them because it gives some kind of numerical indication as to my improvement. While they may not directly show how good you are entirely, there certainly is a strong correlation between good stats and player quality. Good players have good stats, this is fairly universal between all games despite people trying to argue otherwise.

Epeen creates dumbasses and dumb behavior (Hiding while shutdown, always going for the kill, chasing the light, trying to do the must damage but not focusing on the game)

"there certainly is a strong correlation between good stats and player quality" - No there is not. Most of the time(not every time) it's just someone who gets their stats padded by grouping all the time. I get why you like them but they are mostly useless and would make things better if they were not here.

#71 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 31 May 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Epeen creates dumbasses and dumb behavior (Hiding while shutdown, always going for the kill, chasing the light, trying to do the must damage but not focusing on the game)

"there certainly is a strong correlation between good stats and player quality" - No there is not. Most of the time(not every time) it's just someone who gets their stats padded by grouping all the time. I get why you like them but they are mostly useless and would make things better if they were not here.

These are less of a function of 'epeen' and more that these people are trying to play the game well, but aren't experienced enough to do it properly. It's part of learning.

Grouping doesn't exactly guarantee you wins. The matchmaker is pretty good about matching groups between teams, ie., you have one, they have one, etc.. If you're generally better than the other group? Sure. That however, requires you to be a better player to begin with. Ergo good stats.

#72 Siriothrax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostPiney, on 31 May 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Stats as a basis for recruitment is laughable. I can imagine how effective a team full of KDR warriors will be. :rolleyes:

Pretty damn effective. -_-

KDR and W/L isn't the full story, but it *is* highly indicative. It's a excellent tool for initial assessment during recruitment, and then you play with them to find out the rest of the story. Saying that stats are useless is wilful ignorance.

I mean, seriously, let's go full appeal to expertise - don't you find it slightly persuasive that HoL and SJR are agreeing that stats are useful, given their competitive performance?

Edited by Siriothrax, 31 May 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#73 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 31 May 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

These are less of a function of 'epeen' and more that these people are trying to play the game well, but aren't experienced enough to do it properly. It's part of learning.

Grouping doesn't exactly guarantee you wins. The matchmaker is pretty good about matching groups between teams, ie., you have one, they have one, etc.. If you're generally better than the other group? Sure. That however, requires you to be a better player to begin with. Ergo good stats.

Have you noticed that people who play in groups most of the time are they pilot in the higher elo and complain about the meta when they play solo(even with a group)? It's because the stat padding. It's a double edge sword. Playing in a group makes your stats better than they should be. I have gone through this in the closed beta and open beta when I was part of a group. Playing solo changed all that.

View PostSiriothrax, on 31 May 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Pretty damn effective. -_-

KDR and W/L isn't the full story, but it *is* highly indicative. It's a excellent tool for initial assessment during recruitment, and then you play with them to find out the rest of the story. Saying that stats are useless is wilful ignorance.

I mean, seriously, let's go full appeal to expertise - don't you find it slightly persuasive that HoL and SJR are agreeing that stats are useful, given their competitive performance?

It's pretty damn close. I would say if their stats are 1.5 ish in KDR and yet play only solo. That would indicate a great pilot but a 3.0 always grouped pilot I would be wary.

#74 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

When I used to roll in a premade with friends, my KDR was 8.21 running a Hunchback 4G. Since that ended, and before the recent stat wipe, my KDR dropped to 1.48 completely playing in PUG's. Since the stat wipe it has dropped to 1.26. I barely play these days, I'll drop in from time-to-time with PUG's.

You're only really as good as those around you. If the other team completely crushes yours, you'll end up with little to nothing. Stats in this game are a very bad indication of the player, other than maybe time played to help gauge experience. The best method is to run some matches with a prospect and see what they're capable of. After all, sporting scouts don't look at a stat sheet and make a decision, they go and watch prospects in action.

#75 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 31 May 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Have you noticed that people who play in groups most of the time are they pilot in the higher elo and complain about the meta when they play solo(even with a group)? It's because the stat padding. It's a double edge sword. Playing in a group makes your stats better than they should be. I have gone through this in the closed beta and open beta when I was part of a group. Playing solo changed all that.

Evidently those players were being carried by their groups. In any case, they're probably alright players regardless if they made it to 'high Elo.' That a few players have stats better than their play would indicate does not mean all players do, nor that all groups do.

#76 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I wish stats were public. It would indeed make things easier when trying to determine someone's credentials as a player.

However, if stats were to go live, I'd prefer that they list more detailed stats. For example:

Elo Score
Assists
Component Destructions
Savior Kills
Mechs Spotted
etc.

This would help get a better picture of the player's play-style.

#77 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostLunatech, on 31 May 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'm not saying anything about how you play. I've never seen you play so I can't comment, nor would I.

The part that caused me to make the connection was the way you said that a Raven would be better off sniping than playing as part of the team tagging for missile boats.

There is nowhere in the meta for NARC/Tagging because there is barely any use at all for LRM's. So naturally the Ravens you see in comp play are mostly sniping.

That won't stop me from fitting mine with a NARC next time I get the chance because it seems like FUN to be the cause of so much rage (I've been NARC'd once and it was horrible).

But you have your stats to back you up. Mine would clearly never stand up to such close scrutiny.
I'll tell you a secret:
I have a mech with a KDR of 0.47. Should I uninstall the game?

Your epeen is indeed much bigger than mine. Good for you -_-

if you have a KDR of 0.47 then you have a lot to learn about MWO.
also EPeen whatever you like to call it??..

so if a champion in F1 wins, he have a HUGH EPEEN??, makes zero sens man none at all.
this game is PVP orientated to be Competitive, meaning a sport.
and people who play sport play to win.

O and btw by the gods ELO do not place you with my pug Group, the horror.

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostAbisha, on 31 May 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

and no i don't enjoy losing, only losers enjoy losing it's in their nature to do so.

so, by the attitude, guessing not out of High School yet?

#79 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

so, by the attitude, guessing not out of High School yet?

again wrong man
i am 33, work like 12 years already *you know working is for winners?* losers are jobless.
i have a reasonable job, earn enough coin to spend around 40 a 50 euro's on MWO online per month, why because i can.

Edited by Abisha, 31 May 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#80 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Posted on 22 November 2012 at 03:37 PM:

Bryan Ekman said:

Just a heads up, stats are public. They will be viewable by everyone in the new year, similar to : http://www.bf2stats.net/

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1474777

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users