How Do You Go About Knowing Which Clan Uses Which Mechs?

44 replies to this topic

#1 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I was trying to do research for myself to see what Clan Goliath Scorpion uses for it's main force, but I seem to be getting some contradicting information if I start to use multiple sites

For example:
On http://www.catalystd...iewUnitList.asp
It says Goliath Scorpion only uses Horned Owl (the normal one) and 2

If I go to Sarna and look at manufacturing facilities that Goliath Scorpion has owned, Abysmal Manufacturing Complex (Goliath gets it in 3062, 2 years after Smoke Jaguar fades away) produces Horned Owl 4 and 5, If you go to Horned Owl's page on Sarna. also mentions those are specificly Goliath Scorpion designs.

Stuff like this happens with other mechs/whatever else as well. I have no clue how much of one mech Goliath Scorpion uses compared to another Mech. This is a problem I have when it comes to looking up information on all factions as well, and it's starting to bother me. So I figured I'd go ask you guys if there's some place that shows you how much each faction uses each particular thing, instead of having a guessing game with who uses what.

Before anyone says it, yes I know anyone can use whatever mech they want in any faction because of salvage. I just want to know the preferences of each faction.

I look forward to seeing your responses. :P

On a side note, Goliath Scorpion must import a lot of stuff, because the only mechs they produce are:
Commando IIC, Fire Scorpion, Hellbringer, Warhawk, Horned Owl (4 and 5).

Also, Goliath Scorpion doesn't seem to produce any of their own Aerospace if you just look at their 6 , which is strange considering their military has 4 of the 6 trinaries with 1 aerospace star, with all their clusters using at least 2 trinaries with Aerospace.

Since the Tokasha Mechworks is not claimed by anyone on Sarna, and it produces a Stone Rhino 2 (a Goliath Design), I assume Goliath Scorpion own that place. Which means they probably have Nova, Stormcrow, and Gargoyle too. Unless Goliath imports the Stone Rhino and they just gave the design to someone else to make it.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

This sounds interesting :P

#3 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

Certain mechs "belong" or are strongly associated with certain clans, and others are limited in availability by the manufacturing facilities belonging to one specific clan. For example, a Dire Wolf would usually be a CW or CSJ mech, as those are the only clans that produce them.

However, there was always some form of strife going on inside the clans, so there are literally hundreds if not thousands of mechs that don`t "belong" in a certain clan that were taken as isorla or received as gifts. SO essentially any clan pilot from any clan could at least theoretically pilot any mech.

*edit* Sorry, early in the morning here, I apparently overlooked the part where you said you didn`t want to hear that...

Edited by Zerberus, 01 June 2014 - 01:57 AM.

#4 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostZerberus, on 01 June 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

However, there was always some form of strife going on inside the clans, so there are literally hundreds if not thousands of mechs that don`t "belong" in a certain clan that were taken as isorla or received as gifts. SO essentially any clan pilot from any clan could at least theoretically pilot any mech.

*edit* Sorry, early in the morning here, I apparently overlooked the part where you said you didn`t want to hear that...

Anyway, it is the truth -_-

Well, i can tell you from memory some of the preferred designs and weapons for the 4 invading Clans.
Wolf - mix of weapons, hard hitting 'Mechs - most prominent designs in their touman: Ice Ferret, Timberwolf and Gargoyle
Jade Falcon - jumping 'Mechs , they like Kit Fox, Hellbringer and Summoner (their iconic 3050 'Mechs )
Ghost Bear - fast, heavy and hard hitting - the Executioner being the perfect example, they also like Firemoth and Kodiak :PSmoke Jaguar - Mmh not sure, they have Stormcrow and Warhawk for sure.

Goliath Scorpions? I know they value precision and especially laser weapons.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 June 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

If I remember right, aren't they one of the ones that focus more on combined arms?

IE not just mechs?

Or was that Hell's Horses.

#6 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 01 June 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

If I remember right, aren't they one of the ones that focus more on combined arms?

IE not just mechs?

That would be Hell's Horses.

sarna said:

Clan Hell's Horses incorporate a number of unique features into their military doctrine which sets them apart from other Clans, most notably their use of conventional infantry and armor even in front-line units. Their model of combined-arms warfare means roughly two-thirds of all 'Mech Stars are part of a Nova formation], while all vehicle Stars contain an equal number of infantry Points. As a result their touman numbers fewer 'Mechs than normal but make up for it in a disproportionate amount of infantry and support.
The Clan is also unique for instituting the official ranks of Nova Commander and Nova Captain to command Novas and Supernovas. The existence of such ranks also means more positions for warriors to fight over in a Trial of Position and means many more warriors are found in the middle ranks than in other Clans.

Edited by 101011, 01 June 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#7 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostZerberus, on 01 June 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

Certain mechs "belong" or are strongly associated with certain clans, and others are limited in availability by the manufacturing facilities belonging to one specific clan. For example, a Dire Wolf would usually be a CW or CSJ mech, as those are the only clans that produce them.

Ah no worries. I knew it already, but it's still nice information for those looking for it.
Though, looking at some inter-clan relations it seems some clans hardly do anything with each other, making it so there's probably less trading going on. Like Ice Hellion, Clan Goliath, Coyote (going off the inter-clan relations part on sarna)
Though mostly everyone seems to hate Fire Mandrill, and are usually allied with Ghost Bear, Snow Raven, and/or Seafox/Diamond Shark. Snow Raven and Seafox/Diamond Shark are merchant clans though.
Maybe it is true that Goliath imports everything they use for warfare. Afterall, after reading through their history and stuff on sarna, they seem to be really good at finding resources in places most clans would overlook (notably underwater areas). Perhaps a side effect of being good at locating Star League tech usually. ;)

Anyway, it is the truth :unsure:

Well, i can tell you from memory some of the preferred designs and weapons for the 4 invading Clans.
Wolf - mix of weapons, hard hitting 'Mechs - most prominent designs in their touman: Ice Ferret, Timberwolf and Gargoyle
Jade Falcon - jumping 'Mechs , they like Kit Fox, Hellbringer and Summoner (their iconic 3050 'Mechs )
Ghost Bear - fast, heavy and hard hitting - the Executioner being the perfect example, they also like Firemoth and Kodiak ;)Smoke Jaguar - Mmh not sure, they have Stormcrow and Warhawk for sure.

Can't forget the Mad Dog for Ghost bear, Both on Ghost Bear and the Mad Dog pages on Sarna say that Mad Dogs were used mostly by Ghost Bear. Mad Dog is my favorite mech design (with a decent loadout as a bonus). :o
Too bad there's not stuff like that being said on all mechs.
That Clan Coyote quote " If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer, or Kit Fox, double your caution."

Supposedly Goliath Scorpions value precision and lasers while finding missles to be unskillful, but most of the stuff they produce doesn't really reflect that. They have a tendency to use Ballistics and missles, with medium lasers as a backup.

Commando IIC from Marshall Light Assembly Station uses 2 ER Medium lasers, 1 SRM 6, 3 SRM 4s
Fire Scorpion (Totem mech) uses 1 LBX10, 1 UAC10 with some Apods on the legs. the second variant has an AC/20, with 2 LRM 10s, with 5 machineguns.
They produce Horned Owl. However at first, their first impulse is to put 4 Advanced Tactical Missle 3s (ATM 3) with 1 ER medium laser on for the #4 design. However, #5 is the only thing they produce that goes along with the whole Laser precision, as it becomes equiped with 2 ER large lasers, 1 Heavy Medium laser which is good for their seekers, and because Warrior caste hated the #4 design. Makes me wonder if the designers for Goliath Scorpion are completely separated from the Warrior caste or something, or are they are treating the average Warrior as unskilled warriors. :ph34r:

Their vehicles and other things reflect this as well:
Mithras - 1 UAC2, 2 ER medium
Ares - 1 ER Large Laser, 1 LRM 15, 1 LRM 10, both with Artemis
Hachiman - 2 ER Medium Laser, 2 LRM 20 with Artemis, 1 Streak SRM 4
Huitzilpochtil (gosh that's hard to say) - 2 Arrow 4, 1 Gauss Rifle, 1 LBXAC10, 1 ER large Laser, 1 ER Small Laser
Mars - 3 LRM 15 with Artemis, 1 Gauss Rifle, 1 LBXAC10, 1 ER large Laser, 2 Streak SRM 6, 2 Machineguns
Ku - 1 UAC10, 1 ER Large Laser, 1 Streak SRM 4, 1 ER Small Laser
Ishtar - 1 UAC10, 1LBXAC10, 1 LRM with Artemis, 2 ER Medium Lasers, 1 AMS
Svanovit (only Hovercraft) - 2 LRM 5, 2 Streak SRM 2, 2 Machinegun

It doesn't say it is a Goliath Scorpion design, but it says it's inspired by Goliath Scorpion's tactics, and it's the only Aerospace to specificly say anything about Goliath Scorpion. Jengis C has 2 LBXAC20 (one for each wing), 3 Streak SRM 6, 1 Streak SRM 4, 1 ER Small Laser

The lack of PPCs disappoints me. I love the Missle(particularly LRMs) + PPC combo. At least they have lots of missles, missles are my favorite weapons (PPCs just after Missles).

They also produce Warhawk at Abysmall after Smoke Jaguar is dead, but I don't know which config the Warhawk uses.
They produce the Hellbringer at Roche Quadplex Alpha, I have no idea which config it's used. Though, Hellbringer is usually associated with Jade Falcon or Hell's Horses.

I suppose Goliath use mechs that they don't produce for their main Warriors to fight, I just find that rather unlikely.

View PostShar Wolf, on 01 June 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

IE not just mechs?

Hell's horses main thing is being mixed arms. Goliath Scorpion might be 2nd in line for that though, since flexibility was one of Goliath's Scorpion main things according to the sarna's descriptions. I'd have to look at all the toumans though. However, Goliath Scorpion focuses on Elementals, Aerospace, and Aerospace. They don't use vehicles apparently, which is strange because they produce more types of vehicles than mechs. Generally 1 Aerospace supporting a combination of the Mech and Elemental stars.

#8 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image

OMG this bug again. ;) Some make a post please.

Keeshu type something.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 June 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#9 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 01 June 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

is the number all the way on the left supposed to represent how many of each mech there is? Because the number on the brackets is just the tonnage.
Curious where you found this, and if we could have the Warden version as well.
Wolf is here, and Ghost Bear isn't? How late in the future is this? This is after Ghost bear swapped to become warden and Wolf split off into Wolf-in-exile?

#10 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I am going to give you all of them. There is a bug that does not let me separate pics when I post them so I need someone to make a post right after mine. It is from A Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans btw. I think the numbers on the left are just the line not how many are assigned.

Posted Image

Remember to make a post right after this so I can share the other pics.

#11 Forte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

I use this link on Sarna. It gives the units most closely associated to each faction, as well as ones that are associated with all factions in some way.

http://www.sarna.net...ttleMech_Portal

#12 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Posting here. Though it's strange you have this bug, have you talked to anyone about the bug?

#13 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Anyway, it is the truth :ph34r:

Ghost Bear - fast, heavy and hard hitting - the Executioner being the perfect example, they also like Firemoth and Kodiak :oSmoke Jaguar - Mmh not sure, they have Stormcrow and Warhawk for sure.

just FYI the warhawk was produced a jealously guarded by the smoke jags no one else produced it until after their annihilation. ;)

#14 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

I listed here exactly how many omnimechs of each type the invading clans have.

(Go for the "Mechs per Faction" spoiler)

#15 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Posted Image

Someone type something so I can post the other pics please.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 June 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#16 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostForte, on 01 June 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

I use this link on Sarna. It gives the units most closely associated to each faction, as well as ones that are associated with all factions in some way.

http://www.sarna.net...ttleMech_Portal

Yeah I look there sometimes too. However, sometimes there are clan general mechs that are not listed under certain factions. Notable things like Summoner, Hellbringer, Kit Fox for Jade Falcon.

View PostOdanan, on 01 June 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

I listed here exactly how many omnimechs of each type the invading clans have.

(Go for the "Mechs per Faction" spoiler)

Ah, forgot about that thread. Last time I checked, clans were announced for a while and they didn't have anything on clans for months so I kinda stopped checking there for clan info.
Mad Dog is the most common mech for Smoke Jaguar for the mechs they've listed so far, go figure. Ghost bear still has more though, and it is the 2nd most biased mech with 46.3. While the most biased is Timber Wolf with 56.5.

What's this? Kurita, Fed Suns, and FRR have 5+ on atlases whereas Steiner only has 1.5? What is this madness? Have I been living a lie?

Thanks for the info, even if it's only the main Clans + Inner Sphere

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Posted Image

One last post should do it.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#18 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for posting all those pictures

#19 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

No problem man. Glad to be of assistance.

Question, does the Warden Front Line picture looked screwed up at the bottom or is it just me?

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 01 June 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#20 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 01 June 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

No problem man. Glad to be of assistance.

Question, does the Warden Front Line picture looked screwed up at the bottom or is it just me?

Probably just you. Unless there's something I'm missing.
However, I am a little curious as to why Horned Owl is listed as [35] and then listed as Horned Owl [30]. I though that was supposed to be tonnage, or is that just a typo? Or is there something about the Horned Owl having a 30 ton version because I don't see anything like that on Sarna.

This stuff was helpful to get a general idea though. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users