ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 June 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

That's pretty boring, then. It's basically born to do 6 MGs + 2 ERLL and that's it. Not a bad loadout by any means, but a more interesting variant would have had missiles.

I find the stock loadout more interesting that the your proposal, TBH. But then I have a weakness for WubWub and MGs.

#42 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'd rather see the BJ-2 variant of the Blackjack than a hero version. Here's hoping we get an Inner Sphere "reinforcement" pack of circa-3050 advanced technology 'Mechs along with the Clan invasion.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostTygerLily, on 02 June 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yea missile would have been interesting!

well, you know to me what all these MGs mean? Ember, Huggin, now the Arrow? Soon enough MG QQ will come to nerf them back to oblivion.

#44 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 June 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

At that point wouldn't you have the same speed as a heavy mech, though (with less armor and firepower)? That kind of defeats the point of being a medium.

Blackjacks are slow, it is just part of the charm. However the build I suggested should be able to carry a 225 comfortably, which will get you to 81KPH without speed tweak.

#45 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

I find the stock loadout more interesting that the your proposal, TBH. But then I have a weakness for WubWub and MGs.

But I like poking tiny spec-sized mechs on my screen. ._.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

well, you know to me what all these MGs mean? Ember, Huggin, now the Arrow? Soon enough MG QQ will come to nerf them back to oblivion.

MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP! OH DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!

#46 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

If the cap is the same as the other "slow" BJs, it will be rather slow and "relatively" easier to avoid.

Huggin suffers from SRMs being bad (which is required to punch through armor).

#47 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 02 June 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Blackjacks are slow, it is just part of the charm. However the build I suggested should be able to carry a 225 comfortably, which will get you to 81KPH without speed tweak.

So that would be the speed of a heavy, with way less armor and firepower. Kind of a pointless mech. The only advantage mediums have is to be more mobile than their heavier teammates (while being more armed and armored than lighter mechs).

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 June 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

If the cap is the same as the other "slow" BJs, it will be rather slow and "relatively" easier to avoid.

Huggin suffers from SRMs being bad (which is required to punch through armor).

do you have to remind me? I accidentally dropped in mine last night. (I'm a sucker for the paintjob, one of the only good ones PGI has ever released!)

Shockingly I got 2 kills and 536 damage before a turret auto sought my wounded flank. My ASRM4s actually registered for a change. :P

#49 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 June 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

Most BJs have an engine cap max of 235. I've complained before (in the archaic feedback threads of lore) that the engine cap is TOO LOW and needs to be increased to 255. I doubt Paul will make that happen, but we'll see.

The only reason I find this an issue is because of the broken DHS implementation. If there weren't such a huge bonus for carrying a 250 engine, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

#50 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

do you have to remind me? I accidentally dropped in mine last night. (I'm a sucker for the paintjob, one of the only good ones PGI has ever released!)

Yes and no. TBH, it's more of a reminder for Paul than anything else... you simply got caught in the crossfire. <_<

Ammo dependent mechs are not my favorite (Catapult-A1 is at the top my of list), but it requires the bold to do the crazy stuff. That makes me kinda wish I got a chance to play with the Centurion-AH really.

Shockingly I got 2 kills and 536 damage before a turret auto sought my wounded flank. My ASRM4s actually registered for a change. :unsure:

Accidents happen. :P

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 02 June 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

The only reason I find this an issue is because of the broken DHS implementation. If there weren't such a huge bonus for carrying a 250 engine, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

For a mech that has dakka options, the BJ is a really energy heavy mech. That's what makes them "hard mode" sometimes.

Edited by Deathlike, 02 June 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#51 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yes! Fix the Pretty Baby, the Oxide, the X-5, etc.

#52 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 June 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

So that would be the speed of a heavy, with way less armor and firepower. Kind of a pointless mech. The only advantage mediums have is to be more mobile than their heavier teammates (while being more armed and armored than lighter mechs).

I must be doing it wrong then.
That is a shame because my Blackjacks were some of my most fun and successful mechs.

#53 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 02 June 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yes! Fix the Pretty Baby, the Oxide, the X-5, etc.

The X5 doesn't really need much changing does it? Outside of giving it back AMS and/or just expanding the # of tubes (to at least 6) on the missile hardpoints (as part of the dynamic hardpoint visual changes) would be sufficient.

#54 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 02 June 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

I must be doing it wrong then.
That is a shame because my Blackjacks were some of my most fun and successful mechs.

Now imagine the kind of merciless carnage of mass genocide you could inflict if you had more guns to kill stuff with and more armor to absorb enemy alpha strikes, while moving at basically the same speed.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 June 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Yes and no. TBH, it's more of a reminder for Paul than anything else... you simply got caught in the crossfire. <_<

Ammo dependent mechs are not my favorite (Catapult-A1 is at the top my of list), but it requires the bold to do the crazy stuff. That makes me kinda wish I got a chance to play with the Centurion-AH really.

Accidents happen. :P

Hit registration working was DEFINITELY an accident. Because they have been trying to get it to work since HSR, lol. (well, and before, but for different reasons).

I'm crazy. I run several pure ammo mechs. My ON1-VA "Sucker Punch" is tied with JM6-DD "Guthook"
as my favorite heavy builds. I don't claim either is a good build, but the are running a 1.29 WLr/3.04 KDr and a 1.22 WLr/ 3.25 KDr, respectively, so they apparently work for me!

But then I am running a 1.8 WLr and 3.57 KDr in my LA WUBinche also, so fore some reason weird builds work for me, lol.

#56 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

View PostTygerLily, on 02 June 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

From Twitter:

Weapon Balance Updates

New Hero Blackjack! BJ-A "The Arrow"

Hardpoints:
Left Arm: 3 Ballistic
Left Torso: 1 Energy, 1 AMS
Center Torso: 1 Energy
Right Torso: 1 Energy
Right Arm: 3 Ballistic

Jump Jets: 4

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 02 June 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

This is the Blackjack &quot;Arrow&quot; from NGNG.

Disclaimer: Not sure if this will be the same one going live.

http://www.nogutsnog...p?topic=1898.15

View PostTrauglodyte, on 02 June 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Could we PLEASE have the morons over at NGNG stop creating hero mechs? I don't even necessarily think that the Arrow is bad but it would sure be nice to have PGI's lap dogs stop being the go to source for ideas. For that matter, let's have NGNG go back through and &quot;fix&quot; the prior heroes.

The loadout posted in the OP doesn't exactly match any of the proposals from the NGNG Hero BJ thread, but the weapon layout does come close to the "Death Dealer" proposal made by Bhael Fire.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 02 June 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#57 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

I was hoping for a mech that mached the old TRO 3025 art for the Blackjack, aka 1 balistic and 2 energy per arm, but I suppose it wasn't going to be different enough from the normal Blackjack.

I am more interested in the weapon balancing. Better Pulse lasers, and hopefully SRM's will be used now, even though the damage buff is just to counteract the ocasional lack of hit registration, which, if I read this correctly, seems to be only 15% increase in firepower to counteract a 15% chance they won't register as a hit?

Also, the tighter cone of fire for smaller SRM launchers seems like a good idea.

So, I think I will play with SRM mechs.

#58 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Who cares about the hero mech. The weapons and the changes to jump jets is what matters most.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 June 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Now imagine the kind of merciless carnage of mass genocide you could inflict if you had more guns to kill stuff with and more armor to absorb enemy alpha strikes, while moving at basically the same speed.

you are starting to sound like a L33T there Fup, like Vassagil Pain in his prime. You seem to overlook how much the various peripherals like mech agility, weapon placement and such can affect how well an individual pilot can do in a design, because for whatever mixture of reasons it fits him better. SmurfyWarrior Reasoning gives a good baseline, but the "Industry Standard" simply does not apply to every person. I never did good in Zombie Cents, for instance, but I tear it up in Cents with XLs and ballistic arms....despite the MEtaLords saying that those builds were nonviable, and Zombies, the one true Cent.

By meta, and smurfy reasoning, my GRF-1N "IL FIANCHETTO" should be utter crap, yet I have a 3.43 WLr and 3.6 KDr with it 53 matches in. Because for whatever odd reason it works for me.

I know way too many guys who run BJs like a boss to sit there and trash them. On paper they should suck, for whatever reason, their individual blend of attributes just click for some people.

#60 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Hit registration working was DEFINITELY an accident. Because they have been trying to get it to work since HSR, lol. (well, and before, but for different reasons).

I'm crazy. I run several pure ammo mechs. My ON1-VA "Sucker Punch" is tied with JM6-DD "Guthook"
as my favorite heavy builds. I don't claim either is a good build, but the are running a 1.29 WLr/3.04 KDr and a 1.22 WLr/ 3.25 KDr, respectively, so they apparently work for me!

I built my brawling Shadowhawk with the medium lasers as "throwaway weapons". While I hold medium lasers close to my heart, there are times where one occasionaly feels that they are a little overrated and you simply want to pound things as it is with minimal interference from lasers. Adding little bits of extra damage is nice.

But then I am running a 1.8 WLr and 3.57 KDr in my LA WUBinche also, so fore some reason weird builds work for me, lol.

I love testing the LT of the Banshee... it's amusing as it is already. :P

Edited by Deathlike, 02 June 2014 - 01:02 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users