Reward Last Call

210 replies to this topic

#161 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 June 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

Considering the amount of salvaging every side was doing in the lore- I rather doubt you are going to be told you cannot use them.

They may be far more expensive to buy for one faction than the other - but lets face it - every mech was available (if rare) to every faction.

Yes.

Even Liao and Marik had access to Clan Tech (just no where near as much)

Well, I would not say every side, but that is how I plan to cope with the inevitable mixed teams. Salvage, salvage, salvage. Perhaps teams of 50-50 will require a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but I guess I will manage.

#162 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

View Post101011, on 10 June 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Well, I would not say every side, but that is how I plan to cope with the inevitable mixed teams. Salvage, salvage, salvage. Perhaps teams of 50-50 will require a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but I guess I will manage.

and when Clan Ghost Bear goes up against the FRR in a Community Warfare drop, and 100% of the FRR are Clan Mechs because that's what the meta happens to be, you are ok with that?

#163 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostBelorion, on 10 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

and when Clan Ghost Bear goes up against the FRR in a Community Warfare drop, and 100% of the FRR are Clan Mechs because that's what the meta happens to be, you are ok with that?

Sorry, did you just suggest that Clan 'Mechs will become the new meta? ^_^ DOT everything, incredibly hot, stiff customization...I very sincerely doubt that it will becomemeta. Ever. Besides, the cost of a single Omnimech is incredibly prohibitive. I doubt we will see that many of them, as most people are not willing to grind out ~75 million just for a "different but equal" 'Mech. Now, if said FRR team full of Clan 'Mechs did actually happen, you can be certain that I would be upset. I strongly believe that Clan 'Mechs should be limited to the Clans as a whole, and I do not want to see some barbarian in a piece of equipment that is worth more than his life. But hey, that is just a personal incentive to relieve him of said equipment, quiaff?

#164 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

You under estimate the meta folks. They will grind out/pay for whatever it takes to be on top. Regardless of what that is. If Clan Mechs aren't the meta (and I think they will be) then you will see Clans using whatever the meta is (Victors perhaps?)

They aren't going to be able to balance Clan tech like they think they can. The extra heat can be offset with extra heatsinks that take up less room... because everything uses less tonnage.

#165 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostBelorion, on 10 June 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

You under estimate the meta folks. They will grind out/pay for whatever it takes to be on top. Regardless of what that is. If Clan Mechs aren't the meta (and I think they will be) then you will see Clans using whatever the meta is (Victors perhaps?)

They aren't going to be able to balance Clan tech like they think they can. The extra heat can be offset with extra heatsinks that take up less room... because everything uses less tonnage.

The fact that PPC's do splash damage and the AC's will all do damage over time certainly will help keep the Clan 'Mechs thoroughly non-meta. And yes, while there are some who will do whatever they can to be the best, I am hoping that we will see more than just that kind of person in the average CW match. It is far more likely that the Clan will use IS equipment (wow...I can not believe I just said that) to remain competitive. Thanks, PGI.

#166 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

OK something I just read struck me as ver funny. Picking up Clan Salvage on the Battlefield. The idea of eventually building a full Clan mech from salvage, reminds me of that old Johnny Cash song. "One Piece at a time".

It just makes me giggle a little. Someone needs to re-record it as "I built my Clan mech one piece at a time, Yes one piece at a time!!!!"

LOL

#167 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostZerberus, on 08 June 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

Well, you obviously don`t know **** about me but think much too highly of yourself with regards to your value for other people . Just because I have more posts than you do says nothing about the time I spend here. Nor do I have an "issue" with what you or any other bag of pixels does with their money. I only care about the underlying reasons for purely statistical purposes.

I think your modus operandi of weekly flip-flopping is thoroughly brain dead and am thoroughly surprised that an intelligent, self-aware being can be so indecisive about something as petty as a video game, assuming of course that they also interact with the outside world as opposed to making the game their life and then acting like a jilted lover when something annoys them.

And this quirky behaviour actually defies most behavioural science hypotheses, so I`m interested in somehow eventually figuring out the underlying cause, for reasons you (and most people that feel that their moral compass is somehow more valid than others´ ) likely would not agree with.

In other words your behaviour intrigues my curiosity for understanding the root causes of the steady decline of average human intelligence over the past 30 years at a rate significantly higher than it ever rose in recorded history.... No more, no less. Whether you want to accept it or not, and this truth just might hurt your ego, you are, in essence, a lab rat for my behavioural studies. ^_^

I`m sure one of the mast3r k0derZ here that understand so much about game design they can do it better in just a few months can hamfistedly smash on his keyboard until you have just such a solution. Will probably only take an hour or so according to their statements. :P

But if you want a SP experience and nothing else, online multiplayer games are the most obvious worst possible choice to make. Especially F2P ones.

lol you clearly have less value then in society than I do my friend. What exactly do you do?

I have a high self esteem because I have done very well for myself, I have a great paying career, a very nice home, amazing wife, and kid on they way, my career benefits not just myself but a LOT of people I help feed the world in a way by welding john deere products together and sometimes assembling them so I would say my value in society much exceeds yours. Your post count tells me you spend a lot more time just ******* around on the internet than actually doing anything worth while.

And I will admit I caved in again and went ahead and bought the clan package again because I know they have to tweak the clan mechs to be more competitive at some point probably fairly soon as I have had a decent day after work of course playing the game and seen some decent team work though not always. Meh I make enough money because I work hard to afford something like this, I will admit I was quite disheartened by the clans nerfing I rather still think they should be more powerful.

Edited by Darth Bane001, 10 June 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#168 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostShimmering Sword, on 09 June 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

You went and said it again man. You keep saying roughly "ok, I concede my point, it's just feelings", then you immediately reassert that you have evidence against them. You don't.

You listed two possible outcomes, stop trying to convince yorself that they're a company of liars and just acept the obvious and very easy to believe option of "they over estimated their abilities".
Regardless of if someone likes or dislikes this game, that's the one undeniable thing, PGI kicked this off from the deep end and couldn't pull through fast enough.
Have they been deliberately delaying the game and changing features just to spite you? No. They've encountered coding roadblocks, scaling issues, an agressively evolving competitive community, and yes, bad delivery estimates.

But what are we getting? Progress, no matter how slow. Arguably the prettiest MW game to date. A huge mech selection, a steadily increasing map pool. Balance and feature changes that better the game (even if slow to come). And eventually, community warfare, which at no point have they ever said they're dropping.

So, despite PGI having trouble with development, they on the whole have good intensions the for the game. If they really wanted to be some evil empire for the sole purpose of ruining the lives of battletech fans, they could have done it in much easier ways.

Dude have you not seen some of the asinine post they have made against us? We are on an Island dude.

#169 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

View Post101011, on 10 June 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Perhaps teams of 50-50 will require a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but I guess I will manage.

50-50?
Not every faction?

Did you miss the "rare" bit?

No - they were not in every faction from the get-go.

But by Dark Age at least - Liao had just as much Clan Tech as anyone else did - and they were about as far from the clans as you can get.

View PostBelorion, on 10 June 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Still there has been 0 information on this. I am not willing to take the risk.

Is everyone really going to be ok with all Clan Mech vs all Clan Mech in a Davion vs Liao match community warfare match?

There has been 0 information on just about everything.

Doesn't change the fact that there is more lore/game/whatever precedent for the non-clan factions fielding Clan-tech than there is that the non-Clan factions shouldn't have clan tech.

#170 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 June 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

50-50?
Not every faction?

Did you miss the "rare" bit?

No - they were not in every faction from the get-go.

You misinterpreted me. I was referring to a 50-50 tech split in-game, not in lore. I do, of course, understand that Clan tech is rare.

#171 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

View Post101011, on 11 June 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

You misinterpreted me.

I knew what you meant.
50-50 tech split in game would just be RNG at work -something that hit even the TT values.

#172 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

View Post101011, on 10 June 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

The fact that PPC's do splash damage and the AC's will all do damage over time certainly will help keep the Clan 'Mechs thoroughly non-meta. And yes, while there are some who will do whatever they can to be the best, I am hoping that we will see more than just that kind of person in the average CW match. It is far more likely that the Clan will use IS equipment (wow...I can not believe I just said that) to remain competitive. Thanks, PGI.

Clans can't use IS weapons, flat out stated by PGI.

#173 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Clans can't use IS weapons, flat out stated by PGI.

When I said Clans will use IS equipment, I meant that they would use Inner Sphere 'Mechs...because Battlemechs fall under equipment...

#174 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostBelorion, on 10 June 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Doesn't matter to me whether they are purchased with C-Bills.. real money, or MC. Why would I buy a mech I can't use in Community Warfare regardless of the currency?

Well it matters right now since this thread is for the Preorders, all the other stuff is after June 17th which this thread wasn't about .

#175 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostCorbenik, on 11 June 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Well it matters right now since this thread is for the Preorders, all the other stuff is after June 17th which this thread wasn't about .

ok, why would I preorder a mech I can't use the way I want?

#176 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

@Belorion

Look, maybe this will help, as I dropped about 12 times or so during the test yesterday in my IS mechs.

The clan mechs are cool, even if the Dire Wolf looks goofy with it's stride and has a CT hitbox the size of a barn. Not once did I notice a situation where I felt "ZOMG, I'm going to get my butt handed to me...it's a clan mech!", not once. Are they formidable? In the hands of a decent pilot...yes. Did people try out meta builds....yes, but I don't think they loved the clan meta as much as the IS meta due to the basic restrictions, it seems it will take some thinking and coordination to get to the level of abuse we see now.

For example, I walked up to a Dire Wolf in my Grid Iron, and took him apart with AC10 and 3 mlas(that barn sized CT helped) without taking critical damage from him. Timberwolves went down as easily when done right.

Overall, it felt odd(new sounds, colors, etc)...yet kind of fresh and a natural extension to the combat we have now. Which I think was the point. These mechs have to be here, and working bug free for CW when it comes...the PUG arena is where you do that.

As for restrictions on what you can play and when in CW, I suspect they will be few and hopefully well thought out as to where the mission takes place(behind House A lines you get less/more cash/xp/lp for doing X task). You will see mixed teams for just about everything in CW as custom IS tech can easily go toe to toe with stock clan mechs, and as someone said earlier...'salvage' is an acceptable reason why.

If I had to fault anything, it would be the choice of sounds for some of the warhorns. Honestly, hearing dubsteppy electronica crap after a kill made me cringe(don't correct me on the musical genre or style, I couldn't care less, it stinks). WTF thinks those sounds are appropriately dated to a thousand years from now?...before anyone mentions Ms. Snoord and her Elvis....at least that music is considered a classic, now and then.

Outside of that, wep sounds are cool, the modules didn't seem to give a measurable advantage, cockpits are really cool, models are cool, and I could spend all day watching clan LRMs travel to target.

One thing I did notice, as I had feared, the Warhawk Prime is nearly useless with the current IS meta of speed first. Close on him, take his arms off and walk away. It's all too easy.

If you fear not being able to use the mech in CW....I highly doubt that will be an issue, as the goal for any business is to appeal to the greater numbers, not the smallest, whiniest bunch.

I currently do not have a clan pack, so I cannot speak to armor reallocation questions other than what's already been stated, not many talked about it during the games I was in. The love for how the clan mechs altered combat a little was in the air however.

After yesterday, I'm now trying to fiddle enough cash away to get a pack before Tuesday. I was waiting as well, but I feel more comfortable with at least the value of certain packs after yesterday.

What would be a nice surprise...is that PGI had their sh*t together enough to maybe drop a new map along with the clan mechs to liven this up even more, but I doubt that dream will happen.

I hope some of this helps.

Edited by Henchman 24, 13 June 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#177 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostHenchman 24, on 13 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

@Belorion

If you fear not being able to use the mech in CW....I highly doubt that will be an issue, as the goal for any business is to appeal to the greater numbers, not the smallest, whiniest bunch.

I am not particularly concerned about whether or not the Clan Mechs are more powerful than IS. I am fine with whatever...

My whole concern was making an informed decision about a 200+ purchase. I don't care about pug matches, and I am not overly concerned about private matches (people can set their own rules there). My concern was always about Community Warfare. This is a feature I am greatly looking forward to playing. So much so, that when it comes out I most likely won't be playing all that much in the Pug matches.

That said I intend to align with the IS. I was never a big Clan fan. 200+ is just a little pricey for mechs I ultimately won't be able to use.

As for the segregation of mechs in CW? The best evidence so far, is an NGNG pod cast where Russ states that in Faction play factions will have restrictions on the types of Mechs that they can bring. Clanners will use Clan mechs, and Kurita Kurita...

If that is not the case then oh well... I missed out on the chance of supporting PGI by buying one of the Clan Packages, because the information was not clear.

Edited by Belorion, 13 June 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#178 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

I agree there's too much confusion regarding usage scenarios in CW, and counting on things Russ says has it's own baggage. I'd be willing to bet they will hedge, and some CW missions/campaigns will be tech restricted, and some will not, thus allowing you to bring what you paid for into combat.

I do doubt however, that CW will remove the need to PUG as even those matches are supposed to hold some purpose in the long run.

You are right though, there's too much unknown details if you're buying packs based solely off CW and don't like the clans much other than their tech.

Personally, I don't care...I'll throw whatever tech I can fit my butt into at you. And that's why I liked the overall experience during the test. There was a little apprehension at first, field full of clan mechs and all, but I also noticed that in many matches(including one with Russ in his srm wolverine), that IS tech did more overall damage than the clan tech, given even numbers(not tonnage).

You can also get them later with cbills obviously, but then for the premium time, you'll pay more, same for all the other stuff like mech bays, weapons, and oh yeah one of each variant is a hero as well, so there's that too.

I dunno, I still think there's value in most packs.

Edited by Henchman 24, 13 June 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#179 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostBelorion, on 13 June 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I am not particularly concerned about whether or not the Clan Mechs are more powerful than IS. I am fine with whatever...

My whole concern was making an informed decision about a 200+ purchase. I don't care about pug matches, and I am not overly concerned about private matches (people can set their own rules there). My concern was always about Community Warfare. This is a feature I am greatly looking forward to playing. So much so, that when it comes out I most likely won't be playing all that much in the Pug matches.

That said I intend to align with the IS. I was never a big Clan fan. 200+ is just a little pricey for mechs I ultimately won't be able to use.

As for the segregation of mechs in CW? The best evidence so far, is an NGNG pod cast where Russ states that in Faction play factions will have restrictions on the types of Mechs that they can bring. Clanners will use Clan mechs, and Kurita Kurita...

If that is not the case then oh well... I missed out on the chance of supporting PGI by buying one of the Clan Packages, because the information was not clear.

It is true that Russ wasn't properly clear, but I believe that was intentional as these details may be shifting everyday. However, I wouldn't discard the possibility of IS players using Clan Mechs in CW - that may happen but in uncommon cases. I see CW as a sequence of chained events (games) that affect cumulatively you progress and your faction's progress, under several degrees of restrictions. Be it weapon, equipment or mech restrictions; but also under economic and scarcity rules that define what can you bring to your next match.

Since salvage will probably be implemented, I see that CW will not look directly to your normal PUG inventory but to a special inventory where you have things you bought within CW, and things you salvaged that could be repaired/assembled and offer you the opportunity to ride a specific mech.

I am really (really) hoping that CW enforces players to be intelligent on how they manage their resources so that bringing a Locust may become a tactical decision and that meta is something simply inexistant. You fight with what you have and you have what you can find.

I could be wrong, but I would love to see this.

#180 Shimmering Sword

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

I guess I can cut my entire defense of PGI down to:

"Learn the difference between actual lying, and changing plans based on reactions to problems and evolving needs. They are different things"

Every response I get seems to revert back to that fundamental misunderstanding. If a person can't make that critical separation of PGI's intent, no amount to debate will satisfy them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users