#101 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Post627, on 10 June 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Thing is, the rest of those clans are more or less jokes... take those birdies... their only hero is a guy who had to cheat his way to warrior and he became famous when... he died.

As far as I'm aware, Jade Falcon didn't lose their command ship and Khan to some IS scrub

#102 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:33 AM

View PostStonefalcon, on 11 June 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

As far as I'm aware, Jade Falcon didn't lose their command ship and Khan to some IS scrub

If you are talking about the ramming of the warship Dire Wolf by Tyra Miraborg over Radstadt, then Wolves did not lose their ship and the Ilkhan who died was a Smoked Jaguar.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 June 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#103 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostLunatech, on 11 June 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

Ah, homophobia. For when people don't like something that has no effect on them whatsoever.

Granted, it would have a little more effect on them if PGI got their sheet together and finally got started on making Community Warfare.

#104 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 June 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

If you are talking about the ramming of the warship Dire Wolf by Tyra Miraborg over Radstadt, then Wolves did not lose their ship and the Ilkhan who died was a Smoked Jaguar.

Smoked Jaguar

I love it.

:huh:

#105 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

100 million c-bills for anyone willing to infect our social generals with this "good guy syndrome!"

#106 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

Posted Image

My favorite clan, because they weren't all prissy about their mechs. They used tanks, fighters, infantry; basically, whatever it takes to get the job done.

#107 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

I bet Natasha Kerensky was STILL hot even when she died.

Considering she was being incinerated by a jump jet at the time, so hot she was plasma.

#108 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

And finally, when the religious nutcases go and launch all out Jihad, we get a new goodie-two-shoes, Devlin Stone, who is almost certainly Fed Suns in origin, and very possibly is, himself, one of the blessed Davion family.

Well, except for the whole thing where he basically makes the Republic into a monstrous thing the Word of Blake would stand up and applaud, anyway. You know, being responsible for the HPG blackout and the barrier that seals off the core planets, plunging the rest into utter chaos and the Dark Ages.

Plunging the Inner Sphere into a technological depression so you can come along later with your supertech and take over. Who DOES that sound like?

#109 Octavian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Clan Wolf were the bad boys of the clans. Most likely to break zell, best intelligence operations, half of em turned traitor, they set off nukes on Strana Mechty, etc, etc, etc....

#110 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

What is "Good Guy" Syndrome? This is the behavior I have noted of players joining a faction simply because they are the perceived good guys of a series or game. Clan wolf since Mechwarrior 2 has been noted as the "good" clan out of the clans. But this reputation and belief about them unfortunately has caused a surge of players joining Clan Wolf that are really not that great. In fact much of them are rabble, that often times cause a defeat for a team more than anything.

This behavior as I noted is nothing new, in Planetside 2 when it launched many players joined NC since they were "freedom fighters" fighting against religious extremism (VS), or military tyranny (TR). Even farther back I am sure WoW had a bunch of people join Alliance with the belief of them being good guys.

Unfortunately it means that Clan Wolf's reputation as a faction will be seen as kind of a joke. When me and my friends see a bunch of Clan Wolf guys, we go, " Oh look we have 8 Clan Wolf guys on our team. Anyone want to take a bet on how fast we'll lose this?" Each time we've seen a large number of Clan Wolf guys on a team they have not done well at all.

So I guess the joke is, you see 1 Clan Wolf guy he must be a badass or at least know what hes doing. You see a bunch of them and you expect a shoddy performance. The exact opposite of what you would expect from a pack of wolves.

Why does this matter? Well not really, just noting a behavior through the years of playing these games involving factions and really as a Wolf from Mechwarrior 2 myself, seeing my Clan's name go down as a joke is kind of....sad really...but oh well such is the ebb and flow of videogames.

So let me ask you...why are you Davion?

#111 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostStonefalcon, on 11 June 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

This...

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 June 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

AND: Wolves didn't lose their premier unit (Like the, all Trueborn, Falcon Guards) to some "Inner Sphere Rabble" in a Hatchet-man. (Brains over Savagery)

#112 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

Last I checked, there is really no good guy vs bad guy theme in BT/MW. Sure some factions may be portrayed in better light than others, but in the grand scheme of things, they are all D-bags in their own right, just some more than others.

#113 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

There used to be a very clear cut good guy bad guy divide.

Go read any literature about the 4th succession war. Davion avoids wearing it's halo because it's too humble, while Liao and Kurita are literally the devil. Likewise with Clan Wolf in comparison to the Falcons or Smoke Jaguars.

Then someone made the realization that if good guy 'wins' then there will be no more war game to sell mini's for, so the civil war story line existed to 'fix' the good guys and reset all their gains.

Edited by CheeseThief, 11 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#114 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostCheeseThief, on 11 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Then someone made the realization that if someone 'wins' then there will be no more game to sell mini's for, so the civil war story line was to 'fix' there being good guys.

They still managed to make the Fedrats more goody than their Merchant counterparts in the Fed-Com Civil war. Whenever a FedCom unit does something evil, most of the time it happens to be Lyran. Dat Katherine.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#115 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 June 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I used to think like that in my high school and university year in USA, until the whole "Operation Iraqi Freedom", "Stand your ground" law, "Bible is the answer to everything" mentality made me think Canada is a better choice to live in.

Bottom line is, USA was the best when I was a young stud of raging hormones. Once I hit maturity, its all Canada for me.

OTOH you have Quebec up there.

#116 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 11 June 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:

In my experience, people are even more attracted to anti-hero factions than good guy factions. On every server I played on there was a bit more Horde then there was Alliance xD
With the Clans I don't think it's a good guy/bad guy thing.

The Clan Wolf thing is probably a result of MechWarrior 2. It featured Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon and made them famous. And portrayed Clan Wolf is a bit better light. So of the two most famous Clans people pick the one which is less douchebaggy. The fact that the Wolves get the Timber Wolf as thier signature mech also helps.

With the Inner Sphere, faction selection seems a bit more balanced as the Great Houses are all equal douchebags. ;)

In WoW, are the Alliance really the good guys? The Humans are corrupt. The Gnomes are killing the environment. The Elves just want to be left alone. And the Dwarves are just that.

The Orcs are trying to get over their corruption and are trying to survive in the new land and have made allies with the Tauren who are very nature and spirit obsessed. The Trolls are split but still not very good and the undead are also split and trying not to be like their brothers but still bad.

Also, in SWTOR, there were more Imperials than Rebels and in SWG, there were more PvP Imperials than Rebels who tended to be more crafting oriented. In Wildstar which I am playing currently, it seems split with Dominion being Imperials and Exiles being Brown Coats. In The Secret World there were far more Templar and very few Dragon with Illuminti in the middle.

#117 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostCheeseThief, on 11 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

There used to be a very clear cut good guy bad guy divide.

Go read any literature about the 4th succession war. Davion avoids wearing it's halo because it's too humble, while Liao and Kurita are literally the devil. Likewise with Clan Wolf in comparison to the Falcons or Smoke Jaguars.

Which is why the Draconis Combine and the Capellan Confederation are infinitely cooler than the Lyrans and Fedsuns.

Amusing since I've noted the Kuritan/Liao premades in game tend to perform better on average than the Davion/Steiner premades, which backs this thread up perfectly.

#118 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostLunatech, on 11 June 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Which is why the Draconis Combine and the Capellan Confederation are infinitely cooler than the Lyrans and Fedsuns.

Amusing since I've noted the Kuritan/Liao premades in game tend to perform better on average than the Davion/Steiner premades, which backs this thread up perfectly.

I dunno. I've seen only pretty scrub ass Kuritan and Liao premades too. I haven't seen a good Liao premade since the goons and I haven't seen a good Kuritan premade at all.

The only premades I see that are consistently good have been mixed house/merc corps premades.

#119 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

As an Inner Sphere house Mech pilot now we don't adhere to trials.

Posted Image

#120 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Playing baddies much? It does not matters which faction you are on you should always know you're the good guy and everyone else the bad guy, be it by annihilating all the rest or liberating them from their archaic traditions.

Edited by DAYLEET, 11 June 2014 - 02:59 PM.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users