Using Xbox 360 controller with MWO / suport?

62 replies to this topic

#1 Avoll

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOttumwa, IA - USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else plans to use a xbox 360 controller with MWO, and if so what drivers ect. am I going to need to get it to work and set it up?

Before with the old xbox controller I was using redcl0ud's driver package, and it worked great, is there something similar with the 360 controllers out there?

Also before you flame me for wanting to use a xbox 360 controller, I will point out that I am posting this to help my cousin who prefers a xbox 360 controller since his hand is partially handicapped.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

#2 Jimmy the Tulip

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Found this on the MS support site. Hopes it's of some help... :huh:

http://answers.micro...dd-ccbe28d58d13

#3 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I can't wrap my head around anything else other than a 360 controller. Old or stupid - not sure...

#4 skud789

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

I was about to ask the same question. Personally I'm probably going to use a joystick, but as it seems most people seem to pick up an Xbox controller first it makes sense to be able to use one in the game. Especially as we all want as many new people to start playing as possible.
Does anyone know if the game supports them yet?

#5 Avoll

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOttumwa, IA - USA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I found xpadder which works great for the xbox 360 controller in windows, and other games.

Is it going to work with MWO?

Thank you

Edited by Avoll, 17 July 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#6 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

console users should stick to consoles...

#7 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 19 July 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

well then... you clearly didnt read the OP, because "Also before you flame me for wanting to use a xbox 360 controller, I will point out that I am posting this to help my cousin who prefers a xbox 360 controller since his hand is partially handicapped."

sometimes, taking a moment to read a post before flaming it can stop you from looking like an ***.

#8 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

you guys can flame me all you want. i WANT support for xbox 360 controller.....what.....

#9 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 19 July 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

Lets see if we can start a fight...?

I wouldnt use one as I prefer the accuracy of a mouse, but using a 360 controller does have some advantages. The big issue is getting the keys mapped to make everything work properly.

#10 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I dont think it should be too hard. Let's see, the controller has 16 buttons maybe 17 buttons if you include the select button. That sounds like enough to cover most things. I would say stuff like shut down override can still be relegated to the key board as hopefully you shouldn't be spamming it anyway.

#11 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm seriously considering the xbox controller as well. I just layed down serious cash for a new computer system, as well as the founder's pack. That limits my options to purchase anything further at this point. I'd love to lay down another hundred for an x52 pro, but let's face it, money doesn't grow on trees. The xbox controller will cost me about $20 or less for a wireless connector to PC. Until Christmas (or maybe even later), the xbox controller sounds like a viable option, particularly since I still want a joystick experience over the mouse and keyboard.

#12 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

360 controller?....ehhh not sure...can it handle all those buttons?
i mean between selecting a different speed for the throttle and cycling through weapons, is a lot...but then again you can just use a button for accelerate and another for decelerate ...so... probably

#13 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

one trigger for throttle and other for brake/reverse
one bumper to cycle through weapons groups and the other for weapons firing
one thumbstick for steering and other for torso twist/aiming
that still leaves lets say the click option on the thumbstick for jumpjets and the click option on the other for zoom
then you still have the 4 d-pad buttons and the 4 letter buttons

i think there are enough buttons, while it is alot and im sure each button will be used it still seems like a very possible solution

#14 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

and a huge waste of coding

#15 Shoki

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 20 July 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

and a huge waste of coding

Get over yourself?

#16 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostAvoll, on 20 June 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else plans to use a xbox 360 controller with MWO, and if so what drivers ect. am I going to need to get it to work and set it up?

Before with the old xbox controller I was using redcl0ud's driver package, and it worked great, is there something similar with the 360 controllers out there?

Also before you flame me for wanting to use a xbox 360 controller, I will point out that I am posting this to help my cousin who prefers a xbox 360 controller since his hand is partially handicapped.

Thank you

i think there are 3rd party controllers out there that you can use on the PC instead of a joystick, with a Xbox like controller shape ?!

#17 Nachocheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

xpadder will work for any game, i use it for world of tanks and it works nice. also the dpad on the 360 controller can be set to be 8 way wich will give you a total amount 16 buttons 2 bumpers and 2 sticks.

i tried xbox like controllers from logitech from a friend and they arent useable for anything than sport games like fifa.

you can either buy a wireless connector if you allready haven an xbox 360 so you can use its controllers for the pc, or buy the wired version for pc.

#18 Bridget Fisher

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

360 by default is a great idea since there are so many out there people own, this exposes a larger audience to the game and if they enjoy it they can upgrade to one more suitable for mechwarrior online.

#19 Pseudolus

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

You can also use this http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/ it has a more robust mapping system than the N52 or G13 combined. It can even be used on those devices. I have been using it for years. still need to keep keyboard and mouse close. (Keyboard on my lap and mouse on arm of recliner). If your memory is good you can have over 90 functions on the xbox controller using "shiftkeys" .

Find Them, Fix Them, Flank Them, Kill Them!

#20 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

I used my USB/PC version of the xbox controller on MW:LL with xpadder, but I did not like the feel of the controller at all. so I ditched it and went back to JS and Nostromo n52.

I think joy2key can help tune the thing as well.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 August 2012 - 08:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users