Using Xbox 360 controller with MWO / suport?

62 replies to this topic

#21 Tsudico

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'd possibly try a 360 controller for gameplay. I think I'd use:

Weapon Groups: face buttons and bumpers
Throttle: Triggers (1 for more, 1 for less)
Arm Aim: Right or left stick
Leg Walk: other stick
Full stop?: back button
Start/Shutdown?: start button

And the d-pad would be used for things yet to be determined.

Why would I use a 360 instead of mouse and keyboard? Because if done correctly I can map the keys to the buttons and controls I want and they all are in the same area. While you can do the same with a keyboard, some people do better with aiming using (joy)sticks vs. mouse. I say, to each their own, play the way that works best for you.

Edited by Ryu Fukushu, 04 August 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#22 Cidrich Syslet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Has anyone been playing around with this any? I'm in the same boat as the one guy, not enough funds at the moment to go out and buy a joystick... but am interested to see how the 360 controller would work

#23 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostKaldor, on 19 July 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Lets see if we can start a fight...?

I wouldnt use one as I prefer the accuracy of a mouse, but using a 360 controller does have some advantages. The big issue is getting the keys mapped to make everything work properly.

I actually purchased an xbox 360 controller two years ago and experimented with MW4: Mercs and MWLL and it worked great! I ended up selling it back to Gamestop, though for the same reason that i literally gave away an x52 flight control system: You can't beat the accuracy of the mouse. Over the last ten years of gaming, every time i met somebody who can kick an assault mech's but in a light mech on MW4 and over the last couple years on MWLL, they were always using an old fashioned keyboard/mouse setup. I'll be sticking with a keyboard and mouse, but will experiment with that new joystick/throttle kit that Razor is in the process of making just for MWO. May be junk, like the x52 but sense they're making it for MWO i might as well try. For a mouse though, i will try the epic razor naga(i think it's called) cuz it's got like nine or ten buttons on the side. :)

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 31 August 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#24 oxidious

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I really want 360 controller support for this game, been using gamepads for mechs since earthseige 1 and 2 and MW 3. I also loved the setup for mech assault on 360. I just dont like the KB/M for this type of game.

#25 Krid Vicious

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

I just got in and my x52 hasn't shipped yet. I could just wait but since I've got this 360 controller for other pc games, I thought I'd give it a shot. It appears to almost work perfectly without changing anything, the exception being throttle and turn. I tried just mapping them in the client, right stick for movement, but that didn't work. Does this only work with a 3rd party program like xpadder or p_g_p (not sure why it censors Pinnacle Game Profiler, is that a no-no here)? I'm not going to buy a program just to play a few days early if that's required.

But this also brings up another question: Is the x52 even going to be supported? The 360 controller is a dual analog device, like the x52, so if it doesn't work... why would the x52? I sure hope I didn't just waste a whole bunch of dough.

Edited by Krid Vicious, 19 September 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#26 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I heard they are planning to support Xbox, and other various game pads, but they are not a priority at the moment.

I too want to see Xbox controllers. :)

Mainly for my Arthritis. :P

Yes I'm an Old Gamer...40 years young. :P

#27 Krid Vicious

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostFelix Dante, on 19 September 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

I heard they are planning to support Xbox, and other various game pads, but they are not a priority at the moment.

I too want to see Xbox controllers. :)

Mainly for my Arthritis. :P

Yes I'm an Old Gamer...40 years young. :lol:

Bummer. I just can't play with a mouse. Here's hoping for hawken.

#28 David Darkly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

I feel you pain Felix D.
I used a 360 wired controller on Black Knight.
If I could just port my button maps over I be thrilled.

#29 KylleX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 122 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

In case anyone is interested by the way, this controller, PDP "AFTERGLOW" AX.1, is currently only $20-$30
is available at many wal-marts, great build quality (IMHO better triggers Than OEM) has "ultra Rad wicked lights" that stay on or flash when the rumble motors activate, and connects up and reads EXACTLY like a OEM 360 remote so you can save yourself up to $30 by buying one of these things (it is ACTUALLY) supported by microsoft drivers for it come from MICROSOFT lol not some bunk drivers from CNET/download. I use it for all my "I wanna controller games" and it works awesome!

Posted Image
NOTE: each controller comes in ONE color (it don't change colors) lol

and that's my 2¢

#30 schtoff

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

As with the argument over which is best, i prefer both, but as i actually play more on consoles i prefer the joypad, its what i grew up using, its what im better at using. All the things people say they can do with a keyboard and mouse, i can do just as well with a joypad. I have a bit of trouble with using keys to fire the weopons and move at the same time. As with everything its each to their own but i for one would love to see actual support for the 360 pad as its the best design.

#31 Tarakia

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I tried to play the game with my Xbox 360 Gamepad and its far away to be perfect or something. The aiming via right thumbstick works fine, but the rest wont work. I also tried to configure the controll-settings but it wont work that good. I dont want to use external programs like xpadder and stuff, so if there are any hints, please let me know ; )

The problem behind the control-sceme via keyboard and mouse is, that MWO is a bit tricky to handle. Aim and fire with mouse and move with keyboard... ok. But switching or firing other weapon-groups can be so much pain : ( Even my scroll-wheel on my mouse dont work o_O

I know all the "arguements" that mouse and keyboard so much precise bla bla bla... stay away from my holy PC, gamepad flame flame flame... . No one can deny that a gamepad is a lot more comfortable and easier to get in the game. With a good button-config you can play EVERY game, even MMORPGs (like TERA or PSO2). As an example, playing World of Warplanes with a gamepad makes a lot more fun, than playing with oldschool mouse and keyboard.

So... I totally wish, there will be a full support for gamepads/controllers. It should be no problem for a mech-game to implement a good gamepad control-sceme, because its no ordenary shooter or something.

#32 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

To be honest I play the games for fun, and find this type of game a lot more "FUN" with a dual stick controller. I am really looking forward to being able to correcty re-bind the X360 controller to work with this game. Until they get the the triggers right though its going to be to limited for me.

The mouse is nice, but to be honest I would rather have the feel of a gamepad than slightly finer control with a mouse.

#33 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Have the Dev's mentioned where this might be on their list? It seems like it should be a fairly simple addition as it already works if your willing to use some third party software.

#34 Ravenholme

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I would also like to see the triggers configured and the analog stick axis' adjusted with more sensitivity because it's really slow right now. I'm sure Piranha can probably configure the Xbox 360 controller to work just as smoothly as if it was on console. Behemoth got the 360 controller to work for Castle Crashers as smoothly as if it was on console and I played it through Steam in windows 8. So I hope Piranha adjusts the Joystick support.

#35 Jammers

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

I use joytokey for most games that don't need the mouse, but am interested in this too. Wish I had the space for a giant Steel Battallion controller (http://fronttowardsg.../2012/07/sb.jpg) , but the reality of a tiny apartment mean that ain't going to work for me. I'd love to see support for this, I'd much prefer to sit back and play this game on the couch on the big tv with a pad, and have the laptop beside me for chat, mechlab etc

Please put in console controller pad support, mech games were crap on console, but on this game, it'll be fun. All of you FPS heads can have your pinpoint accuracy, i'm much more in favour of a fluid gameplay approach. I'm never going to be the best player in this game but as long as I keep my kill:death ratio above 1, then i'm happy ;)

#36 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostCidrich Syslet, on 31 August 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Has anyone been playing around with this any? I'm in the same boat as the one guy, not enough funds at the moment to go out and buy a joystick... but am interested to see how the 360 controller would work

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro costs $23 at newegg.

I found the Microsoft gamepad to be just "okay" for 3rd person view, but not for the way this game is supposed to be played - FFP.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 25 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#37 Calgorac

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

logitech f310 for pc controller same size and layout as an xbox 360

#38 Zerik1

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

I want to use my Xbox controller because I don't have the money right now to go buy a fancy Joystick and I already have a controller. Is support for this coming? Ever......???? I might go the xpadder route, but I've never used it and don't like paying for something that only 'might' work. Oh wait......MC bills on a game not actually realeased yet. oops

#39 cruelcynic

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I want 360 pad support as well. I play almost all my PC games with the gamepad.

#40 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Look at the dates on this thread. It's been zombied an amazing amount of times. Super zombie?
I do hope they support the use of a 360 controller as well. Not for me, I would rather use mouse and keyboard or joystick, but because it would lead to a influx of gamers who require one to play (there are a surprising amount of them).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users