62 replies to this topic

#41 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 June 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

Yeah well. I call bullshit on that one. At least in case of MWO. The game is badly badly VERY badly optimized for both CPUs and GPUs. Wait until the game is out of beta then decide on hardware upgrades. I sure as hell won't fight the shortcomings of PGI by throwing money out the window for hardware.

wait for what game to be out of beta? cause MWO is fully released as of September 2013, so like 9 months now since launch.

#42 Menetius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

MWO is odd when it comes to graphics/performance balance.

I get an average 30+ FPS on high settings with a Geforce GT 650M.

Yes, M. I'm on a laptop, as bad an idea as that sounds.

Then again, my laptop was constructed a few months after MWO hit closed beta.

Edited by Menetius, 17 June 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#43 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

I'm going to chime in and suggest an entire new rig.

It sounds like your computer is between 3 and 5 years old. That's a reasonable useful frontline life span. Let it retire gracefully to to media and web duties. Get something newer, faster, more efficient.

With Intels Devil's Canyon out next week, and Haswell-E out in Q3(sept?), now is the time to round up your moneys and do your research.

#44 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 17 June 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

wait for what game to be out of beta? cause MWO is fully released as of September 2013, so like 9 months now since launch.

Which makes the fact that the game is performing sub-par and lacks proper SLI/Crossfire support as well as needed multithreading optimization even worse, doesn't it?

#45 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Depends if you build your own Rig or not, if you do check that the slot on your motherboard is a PCI-E one then get a new graphics card , radeon ones seem to be the best at the lower price point right now, but Nvidia are due to release a new range I am told.

The Cry Engine tends to be graphics card intensive (your CPU will not affect FPS very much) so that would be your best bet, If you are running windows 7 there is a CPU monitoring gadget to give you an idea of how your cpu is coping.

If you don't build your own Rigs then you can still get a new graphics card , but if/when you get a new rig just make sure you don't buy one with a graphics card , then you can use any you buy to try to get the game running.

There are some good graphics card comparison sites out there and they may very well use the game Crisis (uses cry engine) as a reference for fps.

hope this helps!

#46 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Your frame rate is what PGI likes to call "typical". I have sent them service requests and they say that those frame rates are what you should expect. Everyone is going to post their awesome (or basic) rig stats and they all will have about the same frame rate. I have killer rig and at best I get 30 to 60 fps. MWO doesn't utilize SLI or Crossfire. Its CPU dependent and only uses the most basic functions of its graphics engine (Cryengine). If anything upgrade that CPU to an FX series CPU and you will be good to go.

Edited by DjPush, 17 June 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#47 Randomm

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

My apologies if this creates a sub-thread... What are the the frame rate ranges with the high end CPUs. for example, what framerates to the 8350 CPU getting vs the current i7 processors?

#48 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 June 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

Yeah well. I call bullshit on that one. At least in case of MWO. The game is badly badly VERY badly optimized for both CPUs and GPUs. Wait until the game is out of beta then decide on hardware upgrades. I sure as hell won't fight the shortcomings of PGI by throwing money out the window for hardware.

I have a 955.

I went from an 5830 to a 270x and got zero fps improvement in MWO. Which currently is about 25-50 fps. His cpu is barely better than mine, but that .2 of a ghz might make all the difference. In other games it was a different story, and had decent gains.

I would say the gpu is the first bottleneck though. The CPU isn't going to have stellar performance from my experience, but a 5770 is fairly low end these days. But well it's hard to say as I was bottle necked with a 955..

I won't be the only one to say this> Basically the sys specs PGI put up are complete bollocks. Those recommended sys specs wouldn't get you a consistent 30fps on 720 low settings.

View PostRandomm, on 17 June 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

My apologies if this creates a sub-thread... What are the the frame rate ranges with the high end CPUs. for example, what framerates to the 8350 CPU getting vs the current i7 processors?

Either of those should get you 60+ constant fps assuming vid card is high end.

Edited by Ghogiel, 17 June 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#49 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

On my 5ghz fx8350 and hd7970, I get in frequent dips in the low 20fps but it averages 45fps In gameplay.

#50 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

So I've done a little more homework, and thought I'd share what I'm leaning towards at the moment...

GPU: Leaning towards an MSI R9 280X on sale at my supplier right now, but still in the running is the 270X...

CPU Cooling: Planning to start overclock the CPU (Phenom X4 965 BE), I was seriously considering the Corsair Hydro H60 water cooling, I thought that would be a good portable unit to transfer to a future build as well as the above video card... But after looking at comments and reviews around the web, the Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo air fan seems to be almost as good, with likely less hassle and noise... Just need to make sure it'll fit nicely with no problems...

PSU: I was planning on getting a big power supply, again, to be good for a future build... (probably a 750w so that I can overclock a future CPU and Crossfire a couple GPUs...) because I was concerned my crappy 460w PSU wouldn't be able to support the new GPU in my old system... But after doing some more research, in particular these two videos:

The 2nd vid, the guy has a pretty modern system, and he's overclocking both the CPU and GPU, got a couple HDDs, a crap load of fans, and a water cooling system... and under full load of CPU and GPU... he's only pulling ~365W...

That's way more crap in his rig than I have, so if I buy one of the lower wattage GPUs... I may just plug it into my system without replacing the power supply... and cross my fingers... ;)

Thoughts and comments welcome...

Edited by Driftwoood, 19 June 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#51 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

http://www.tomshardw...quirements.html
The Amperage is what those Beefy GPUS are after, My crappy 600W PSU I have since replaced could output 19Amps on 1 12V rail, And this is no where near to Silver 80 rating.......... You want a solid PSU-brand name,750W + 2 dedicated 12V rails......each supplying well over the req of any newer GPU. upto 30AMPS each rail..... ;)
When I bought and OCd the FX8350 the 600W cheap-o PSU would only allow stock 8threads or OC <6threads was easily overloading total wattage.....

Posted Image
Ripple, surges, heat, Voltage droop, no 80 silver+ rating........All these things are not even remotely friendly to your precious Microchips........You would thank anyone, who tells you this later, when you are not replacing all of your components.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 19 June 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#52 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

View Postsneeking, on 19 June 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

my last card was a 5770, going to an r9 290 made exactly zero difference, improving my cpu cooler and the better case I had to buy so the r9 would fit allowing me to clock up the cpu with more stability did far more for mwo.

lol, don't tell me that... after i'd finally decided what GPU to get... maybe I'll just get the 212 evo for now and call it a day...

What sort of fps are you getting with the overclock? Remember what you were getting before?

#53 Abbraxus

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • Locationmanchester, uk

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Depends on how much you have to budget with.

Im running the same processor with 8gb ram and a powercolor hd7850 2gb gpu on a asrock 970 extreme 3 mb. im also running an mushkin 60gb ssd with nothing but my OS on and Im getting between 70fps-120fps in games on high settings.

the main boost to my system came from installing a mushkin 60gb ssd. so id say go with an ssd for you main drive and then replace the gpu. when running 4gb on a system the main bottleneck will come from your hard drives as youll be hitting the swap file so often.

the processor can be oveclocked to some stupid speeds so i wouldnt worry about that too much for the time being. (as long as you have some good cooling anyway lol). in testing ive got 5ghz out of it per core and the MB says it can handle upto 6.9ghz. yes i am running watercooling and no im not going to push it that high lol.

you could also try more ram and setting it up as a ramdisk for your swap file but this wont give the same boost as putting an ssd in.

#54 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

So I went a bought the 212 Evo like I planned, though I haven't installed it yet... just with my stock fan, I used AMD Overdrive to last night to bring my Phenom X4 965 from 3.4 to 3.8MHz, and the CPU seems to stay cool, only getting to around 55C when I play, though it gets to 64+ when I run a stability test... I don't let it run long enough to shutdown or throttle, though I suspect thats what will happen...

Because its only at 55C, does that mean I'm not CPU bottlenecked now, but somewhere else? My theory is no, because, like mentioned earlier, its only Core 4 that gets to 80%+ with MWO, and the other 3 around 60% or less... so could still be limited by what Core 4 can put out...

Taking it upto 3.8MHz may have made some difference, but not much? I was a little drunk when I did it last night, but there may have been a 5fps improvement, tough to say... and unfortunately, I can't repeat the experiment anymore, BECAUSE:

I bought and put in an SSD like a few people suggested, and HOLY COW!! What an improvement!
Still at low settings on everything, but my fps has gone from a 20-40 range, to a 35-80 range... usually averaging 50-60... I put V-sync on because I was getting lots of tearing, and my monitor refresh is only 60Hz...

View PostAbbraxus, on 20 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

the main boost to my system came from installing a mushkin 60gb ssd. so id say go with an ssd for you main drive and then replace the gpu. when running 4gb on a system the main bottleneck will come from your hard drives as youll be hitting the swap file so often.

Looks like you were spot one, dude! Wow, what a difference!
I don't know if an SSD will give the same sort of boost to other people if they have 8Gb Ram, but its a cheap upgrade to try, and just for the faster boot up time, an SSD is worth it!
I just got a cheap $80 Crucial M500 120Gb...very pleased... ;)

Will update as I play around, and I'll probably need some tips on overclocking my CPU and GPU once I get the new fan in there...

#55 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thermal threshold for Phenom II chips is 62c. So you're closer to your max than you're thinking.

#56 Abbraxus

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • Locationmanchester, uk

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostDriftwoood, on 20 June 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

So I went a bought the 212 Evo like I planned, though I haven't installed it yet... just with my stock fan, I used AMD Overdrive to last night to bring my Phenom X4 965 from 3.4 to 3.8MHz, and the CPU seems to stay cool, only getting to around 55C when I play, though it gets to 64+ when I run a stability test... I don't let it run long enough to shutdown or throttle, though I suspect thats what will happen...

Because its only at 55C, does that mean I'm not CPU bottlenecked now, but somewhere else? My theory is no, because, like mentioned earlier, its only Core 4 that gets to 80%+ with MWO, and the other 3 around 60% or less... so could still be limited by what Core 4 can put out...

Taking it upto 3.8MHz may have made some difference, but not much? I was a little drunk when I did it last night, but there may have been a 5fps improvement, tough to say... and unfortunately, I can't repeat the experiment anymore, BECAUSE:

I bought and put in an SSD like a few people suggested, and HOLY COW!! What an improvement!
Still at low settings on everything, but my fps has gone from a 20-40 range, to a 35-80 range... usually averaging 50-60... I put V-sync on because I was getting lots of tearing, and my monitor refresh is only 60Hz...

Looks like you were spot one, dude! Wow, what a difference!
I don't know if an SSD will give the same sort of boost to other people if they have 8Gb Ram, but its a cheap upgrade to try, and just for the faster boot up time, an SSD is worth it!
I just got a cheap $80 Crucial M500 120Gb...very pleased... :)

Will update as I play around, and I'll probably need some tips on overclocking my CPU and GPU once I get the new fan in there...

Glad i could help dude!

i cant recommend ssd's enough. im going to get another one and run them in raid 0. ill update after i have ran some benchmarks.

#57 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostWarGruf, on 14 June 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Sorry to tell you but I doubt you will see any improvement with just changing the ram...

I have an FX8350 @5Ghz with crossfired 7770's and STILL get dodgey Fps variations ;)
I see changes from 60fps - 19fps during matches, I have upgraded everything apart from my 7770's. The game at the moment does not like AMD rigs at the moment, it used to but recently it has gone a bit sideways.

Just for comparison, here is my rig.
Cooler Master HAF XM case, 4x200mm Fans
Sabertooth FX990 R2.0
FX8350 @5Ghz under a Cooler Master NeptonXL 140mm Watercooler.
8Gb of Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
250Gb Samsung Pro SSD
2x HD 7770 running at 1100Mhz Core - 1300Mhz Memory
800w Psu

60-19 Fps 1920x1080 (or any other resolution for that matter :) )

Hope we can get this fixed soon...

I have a **** rig i have been using as a HTPC.
This:
i5-2320 3.0 Ghz (non k part)
8 Gb 1333Mhz ram
1 Tb barracuda (doesnt effect fps but figured i would include it)
7750 HD (stock clocks of 800, 1125 and voltage locked since it doesnt have a 6 pin. I won the silicon lottery since i got mine to 1050, 1475. Performs just as well as a 7770 stock)

I run the game in 1080p. I avg 40 fps on max settings, but i play on medium settings and never drop below 40.

EDIT: Main rig:
i7-3770k 4.2 Ghz (limited to 4.2 everyday, 4.5 if i ever bench. Not watercooled so i need that to go higher)
8 Gbz 1866 Mhz ram
Raid 0 corsair force 120 Gb ssds
2x r9 290 windforce (1200 core, 1500 ram. I got an amazing overclocker but even the windforce cant handle higher than those clocks. I need to get watercooling soon.)

1440p maxed out constant 60 fps no problem even without support for my second 290. Some people complain about maintaining high fps even on beast rigs, but i dont have an issue.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 21 June 2014 - 05:18 AM.

#58 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 21 June 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

1440p maxed out constant 60 fps no problem even without support for my second 290. Some people complain about maintaining high fps even on beast rigs, but i dont have an issue.

That complaint seems to only be people with AMD CPUs...

#59 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Try this:

http://www.9a2gb.net...u-core-parking/

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 21 June 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#60 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostAlreech, on 15 June 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

If you take a look on the CPU utilisation during a online game you will see that core 4 is at almost 80 - 90 %, while the other 3 cores are not higher utilized than 60%.
So the best upgrade for MWO is to switch to a modern Intel CPU with high CPU Boost.

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 21 June 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I gave that a try, Edward, disabling the core parking... previously, my CPU utilization was like Alreech described... first impressions are that I now get more even CPU core utilization, though it seems more erratic... all kinds of % use spikes going on... think my temp is higher too... I'll do some more testing and see...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users