#61 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostDriftwoood, on 22 June 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I gave that a try, Edward, disabling the core parking... previously, my CPU utilization was like Alreech described... first impressions are that I now get more even CPU core utilization, though it seems more erratic... all kinds of % use spikes going on... think my temp is higher too... I'll do some more testing and see...

It is a long shot, but it could be a power supply issue too. Many people try to save $ by using a low quality PSU.

#62 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Thought I would post a final update as to what I did:

1. Overclocking my 965BE from 3.4 to 4.0 only seemed to get me maybe 5 fps more on low settings, going from 20-40 to 25-45 or so... but I'm still doing that...

2. A friend gave me an old power supply, and let me try out his GTX770 before he installed it in his machine... I only tried it for a few minutes, but it got me like 80-100 fps on low... I forget exactly what I got on very high settings, but I think it was in the 30-60 range... so... the GPU was definitely the bottleneck...

3. I've since bought an R9 270 that was on sale... have tweaked my video settings, with most at medium, a few at high, a few at low... and am running in that 45-60 fps range, with occasional drops into the 30s... very happy with results, game looks way better, even on medium, than it did on low...

Thanks for all the help here...

Edited by Driftwoood, 10 July 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#63 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostDriftwoood, on 10 July 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Thought I would post a final update as to what I did:

1. Overclocking my 965BE from 3.4 to 4.0 only seemed to get me maybe 5 fps more on low settings, going from 20-40 to 25-45 or so... but I'm still doing that...

2. A friend gave me an old power supply, and let me try out his GTX770 before he installed it in his machine... I only tried it for a few minutes, but it got me like 80-100 fps on low... I forget exactly what I got on very high settings, but I think it was in the 30-60 range... so... the GPU was definitely the bottleneck...

3. I've since bought an R9 270 that was on sale... have tweaked my video settings, with most at medium, a few at high, a few at low... and am running in that 45-60 fps range, with occasional drops into the 30s... very happy with results, game looks way better, even on medium, than it did on low...

Thanks for all the help here...

Sitting pretty!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users