• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostBront, on 15 June 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Or the $30 package with just the kit fox?

I never was good at remembering order... But yeah, same point - it's not like he HAD to pay hundreds of dollars for the Kit Fox.

View PostMystere, on 15 June 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Well, I am of the the mind that:
  • cockpits should not get any special treatment compared to any other mech part
  • a 250mm/10inch artillery shell should obliterate any cockpit it lands a direct hit on

Air/arty really should be reduced in damage considerably, but since they don't want to do that, they are instead at least looking at preventing instant kills due to luck from them. Better than nothing, at least.

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostCimarb, on 15 June 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

Air/arty really should be reduced in damage considerably, but since they don't want to do that, they are instead at least looking at preventing instant kills due to luck from them. Better than nothing, at least.

To which I wholeheartedly disagree. Otherwise, it's not going to feel like Artillery!

(In other words, they should make the scale they use for hit-resolution finer-grained to reduce the probability. But the face-smashing should still exist).

Edited by Mystere, 15 June 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#43 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostMystere, on 15 June 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

To which I wholeheartedly disagree. Otherwise, it's not going to feel like Artillery!

If it were something that had to equipped and used ammo, I would agree with you.

Name a single other module, though, that comes anywhere NEAR the output of air/arty. There isn't one. In no match will the benefits of a single module generate even close to the same damage boost, and that is unbalanced.

When a competitive tournament is determined based upon the number of modules you bring, that should tell you it needs to be fixed.

I was just in a public match tonight where the opposing team used a minimum of six air/artillery strikes (one were just the ones fired in my line of sight - I can't account for any out of it). That means, at minimum, half of their team used one, despite the cost.

#44 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostWeekendWarrior, on 15 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

So that test was Atlas, Cataphract and Hunchback against Warhawk, Summoner and Nova?
And the fight was actually exciting?
In real BattleTech, the Nova could stay home, and the Clanners would still walk over the IS...
Ofcourse, these Clanners also got suckered into a brawl (with an Atlas and a Hunchback no less) in faster Mechs. Must have been freebirths...

Thankfully, this isn't a single player game for people that live in their parent's basement, eating hot pockets and leading their beloved clans to victory over that naughty old inner sphere.

And by the way, Real Battletech ended when the clans were introduced.

#45 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostMystere, on 15 June 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Well, I am of the the mind that:
  • cockpits should not get any special treatment compared to any other mech part
  • a 250mm/10inch artillery shell should obliterate any cockpit it lands a direct hit on

it would be ok if they restricted them to say lance leaders so 3-6 a side depending if they took both air strike and artilery, but the way games are formed it would only work in 12V12 pre maids or custom games. the other thing they could do is make them way more expecive but then they would become a bit pay to win or saved for tornaments which will detract from both normal and tornament games.
the only way i could see it being ok doing the damage it dose now is make it less likly to hit or making a reserve module slot so combined with a limertashion per a side like i menchioned above you would automaticly switch to the aulternative modul.

#46 Vela Ventare

• PipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostCimarb, on 15 June 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

If it were something that had to equipped and used ammo, I would agree with you.

Name a single other module, though, that comes anywhere NEAR the output of air/arty. There isn't one. In no match will the benefits of a single module generate even close to the same damage boost, and that is unbalanced.

But it's a single use consumable. Aside from the UAV which is also a huge tactical boon, no other module requires you to buy a brand new one every time you switch it on during a match. I see the concern over people being instakilled with arty and air, but it is meant to be an area of denial effect, and it does take skill to avoid one of these strikes and not just get anihalated by it, which is fair. If someone wants you out of an area, and arty is meant to keep you out of an area, and going into that area might just blow out the core controls of your mech because you were being dumb and walking on some red smoke, well.... that sounds like arty is doing EXACTLY what it is meant to do.

Edited by Vela Terentius, 15 June 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#47 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostFrost Lord, on 15 June 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

it would be ok if they restricted them to say lance leaders so 3-6 a side depending if they took both air strike and artilery, but the way games are formed it would only work in 12V12 pre maids or custom games. the other thing they could do is make them way more expecive but then they would become a bit pay to win or saved for tornaments which will detract from both normal and tornament games.
the only way i could see it being ok doing the damage it dose now is make it less likly to hit or making a reserve module slot so combined with a limertashion per a side like i menchioned above you would automaticly switch to the aulternative modul.

Frankly, I am fine with the probability being reduced. But, it should be kept in mind that it is precisely that probability that makes people afraid of artillery. Otherwise people will not cry endlessly about it. ;)

#48 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Someone just earned A LOT of respect from me! ;)

EXTEEERMINATE!!!!

#49 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

BEST. FRIGGIN. INTRO. FRIGGIN. EVER!

Looking forwards to clans PGI. Well done in achieving a milestone.

Awesome news for 4x3 - looking forwards to that even more than clan mechs. Will be nice to have some 'standardisation' ingame.

HURRAH for SRMs too!

I don't think dmg should be nerfed for Arty/Air Strike... if a shell hits you in the head, it hits you in the head... just like how someone in game can cockpit-shot you. I DO think that the AOE should be drasticly increased, damage reduced and number of shells increased but rate of drop DECREASED.
That way you have a large area DENIED because it is sustaining reduced but regular damage over time. As it is now, you just get POUNDED and that's it... you are either fast enough to get out and avoid it or you are slow (and heavily armoured enough) to just take it.
As an 'area denial tool' its not very effective (I think)... but as a AOE BURST-DMG tool, it is.

And thanks again for keeping the community updated and informed!
Keep it up!! ;)

#50 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Upon closer review (but with the sound off, 'cuz work) ...

1:09-1:30 - The transition between the three different Timber Wolf skins (Gold Prime-Package Prime-S Variant) is pretty slick.

6:20 - the word doc ... a list of Unit Leader Priveleges ... oh yeah ... CW Phase 1!!

6:24 - the screen mock-up ... man I wish that was just a little bit more clear ... while "So Shall It Be" intro was cool, this has me very, very excited!

Thanks for the (ever so slight) glimpse into what you guys are working on ... I don't want to wait for more (but I guess I'll have to).

#51 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

umm so where is the transcript???

#52 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

These Vlogs are a good step in the right direction, regarding interacting with the community.

#53 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:37 AM

Glorious intro, I want more of that!

About artillery, people are right cockpit should not get a special protection. I my self can't remember when I my mech last time destroyed by arty, damaged - sure. But I think this change are forced by recent tournament, where people just sat and had mostly a trench warfare. In my opinion if they don't want to get bombed - they should move out of their trenched possessions, this is what arty is for, while cockpit extra protection is allowance for them to stay there.

I have a compromise idea, why not have an extra consumable module, call "extra armor glass" witch will give +18 points of armor to cockpit and get removed after the match if cockpit is damaged. Sitting turkeys will be happy and we force field haters. :)

Edited by Tank, 16 June 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#54 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

Artillery and Air-Strike should be something deployed by only the Company Commander and/or by mechs with Command Console.
As it is right now, it ruins the game (think about a 12 team all armed with artillery and air-strike)

#55 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

View PostOdanan, on 16 June 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

Artillery and Air-Strike should be something deployed by only the Company Commander and/or by mechs with Command Console.
As it is right now, it ruins the game (think about a 12 team all armed with artillery and air-strike)

This^

#56 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

As stated numerous time, the problem with arty/airstrike is not the damage, it should do a lot of damage. The real problem is the spam. The last tournements were a good example of that.
Every time i get hit by an arty/airstrike, i have already dodge at least 4 more.

#57 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

Exactly. If only a few 'Mechs could carry artillery strike.. With tonnage limits in place to avoid 12 people bringing such 'Mechs.. Or if only the company commander could call an arty strike.. But then everyone would take and give the role to be able to fire such modules..

Edited by CyclonerM, 16 June 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#58 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 16 June 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

Exactly. If only a few 'Mechs could carry artillery strike.. With tonnage limits in place to avoid 12 people bringing such 'Mechs.. Or if only the company commander could call an arty strike.. But then everyone would take and give the role to be able to fire such modules..

Just add a cool down.

#59 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostMystere, on 15 June 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

What? Did I hear Paul correctly? They are adding more imaginary "force fields" to protect the cockpit? Really?

Maybe they should just remove the cockpit altogether and make all mechs remotely piloted drones. :D

Rage!
Rage!
Rage!

<I'm glad that's now out of my system.>

Say what you like, but when people are getting head shots 10x more frequently from an unaimed shot that takes zero skill to execute than from one that requires aiming, that's a problem. It was an idiotic mechanic. Anything that takes you out of the fight that arbitrarily and without direct player interaction is hardly compelling gameplay. That's effectively just RNG.

Edited by Gallowglas, 16 June 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#60 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Overall, very nice.

While Lisa was being interviewed, I kept catching myself looking over to the left...something in that direction (offscreen) really had her attention! :lol:

This was a good Vlog, and it was nice to put faces to the names. The information provided was good.

I'll admit that I don't like the notion of reducing strike damage and putting up invisible forcefields around the cockpit. Neither option makes much sense to me. I think that the whiners who complain about these issues should just get better at moving around and being aware of their surroundings. If they stand still for a strike, then they should get hit with the full ferocity of it - please don't build in any protection for their stupidity.

Stupidity should be painful. :D

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users