Stormcrow (That Evil Bird)

123 replies to this topic

#81 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

Experimental "peek-a-boo" build taking advantage of the two high slung energy hardpoints, with 2 SSRM2 to deter lights.
SCR-C

#82 Verrue

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

@Napes:

the four ERmed give much needed mid range firepower. (28 dmg)

only is 2 is not enough exept annoy or finish a very badly mauled mech. (14dmg)

Its bad being on Alpine or Terra therma and doing almost nothing.

#83 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I've got 2 builds that I love with my Stormcrows, and one that I'm working on. Two that I love:

SCR-C The LB5-X has a very small cluster, and is pretty accurate up to 500ish meters because of it - obviously better the closer you are, but it's got some solid mid-range punch. High torso energy points just screamed at me for LPLs - good for peeking and firing, and good overall on the damage. The ML was thrown in as an afterthought. I very rarely have heat issues with this variant, and I pretty consistently get 500+ damage.

SCR-PRIME Pretty much just a super-stock variant, but it feels a lot better than the standard to pilot - exposed less often, for one, and it feels more fluid on account of the smaller firing time.

My SCR-D is currently just a slapped together variant that I'm not overly fond of. Just got LRM10 on each arm, and SSRM4 in the torso missile slots.

#84 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

the 2 builds that seem to work best are 5x er med + 3x srm, and 2x LPL and 3x med.

as previously stated, the thing has so much agility and speed its like a laser hunch on crack...and its low slung enough to stay below eyesight of many mechs.

the first version is more for quick hit n runs in the back. srms, then lasers, then run behind cover.

second version gives a bit longer range flexibility, but heat management is needed.

either one works great. I play it as an OP light mech, and do extremely well.

#85 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

SCR-C-mPL

Beast. 7-800 damage a match and will survive a couple dumb mistakes.
Pull the TC and add another heat sink but I've had better luck with the TC.
Can add another laser HP but 44 Alpha has been enough.

Edited by CygnusX7, 27 August 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#86 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostCygnusX7, on 27 August 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

SCR-C-mPL

Beast. 7-800 damage a match and will survive a couple dumb mistakes.
Pull the TC and add another heat sink but I've had better luck with the TC.
Can add another laser HP but 44 Alpha has been enough.

I prefer the 7 x CERML alternative. Borderline abusive right now.

SCR-PRIME

#87 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostVerrue, on 19 June 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Hi fellows Mech pilots,

What do you use for your stormcrow variants?

Im still unsure what or how build them nice.

It's a great mech. Won't be as efficient with the upcoming nerf to Clargepulse/cmedium lasers however.

#88 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 29 August 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

It's a great mech. Won't be as efficient with the upcoming nerf to Clargepulse/cmedium lasers however.

The PTS changes made the CERLL/CERML builds viable again. They're about as heat efficient as they were at launch.

#89 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

Any of the mixed laser boats with 4MPL+3ML or 7ML or 2LL+5ML etc are fun to play, one of them will suit your style or which ever weapon isn't being nerfed at the moment.
The 3 SRM launcher + 5ML is also devastating, you can see if you like the SRM or the SSRM approach. Plays a little differently, but also lots of fun.
The LBX20 / UAC20 + 4ML is another variation if you like ballistics.

#90 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Has anyone found a half decent build post-patch that doesn't shut down on your 2nd alpha? (aside from massed SRMs, I guess they're alright, but so very inflexible)

I recently tried playing my Griffin again and was blown away by how much better it was. More accurate and thus effective weapons, better mobility through JJ, vastly better hitboxes and durability. The only clear loss is on speed. Any firepower advantages get overshadowed by the massive heat generated.

#91 Arkion29

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

I too would like to know if anyone has been able to make a laser build work with the new heat issues.

#92 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostArkion29, on 18 September 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

I too would like to know if anyone has been able to make a laser build work with the new heat issues.

I'm running my nova with a 6xCERML, CERLL and TC1 setup currently and enjoying the results. The SCR can run the same setup with more heatsinks and a few tons left over so I imagine that's a laser build that'd work for it.

#93 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostArkion29, on 18 September 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

The prime config allows for 3 alpha strikes before overheating on most maps and slightly more when you fire one large laser and wait 0.5 seconds before firing the other.

#94 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

The impact is overstated on elited mechs. The changes are worth about 1 DHS or .02 heat efficiency in the mechlab. Just wait a couple seconds before firing your next alpha or set up weapon groupings so you can fire 66-80% of your weapons at once instead.

#95 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostMizeur, on 29 August 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

The PTS changes made the CERLL/CERML builds viable again. They're about as heat efficient as they were at launch.

not really, cerml got nerfed with only a 0.05s reduced burn time which means nothing.

and cERLL has reduced range, damage, and increased burn time and heat since launch.

what universe do you live on

#96 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 18 September 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

not really, cerml got nerfed with only a 0.05s reduced burn time which means nothing.

and cERLL has reduced range, damage, and increased burn time and heat since launch.

what universe do you live on

The one where range modules exist and it still puts out a 50 point alpha? And the CERLL burn time isn't that different from launch after the last round of changes.

Just because it's no longer as devastatingly OP compared to the IS builds as it was, doesn't mean it's not viable anymore.

Edited by Mizeur, 18 September 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#97 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

Just because you think something didn't get nerfed or think the weapon is as good as it was at launch due to your naivety, doesn't give you the right to perpetuate misinformation to the community, whether you think the weapon is viable or not. The weapons were nerfed bottom line, and is/are statistically worse.

Furthermore, out of all the laser nerfs, there is no doubt that the cERLL, even to this day, got hit the hardest. I Know this, because we in CSJ were some of the first players boating them on the Madcat (a la Novacat in MW4) while everyone else was defaulting to the MWO "meta" builds or generic diluted TT/stock setups.

I would argue confidently and strongly that they actually aren't viable on 75-80% of the maps, especially in a competitive game. And that's an important, because real noncompetitive should always set the bar for weapon balances, not public test trials with pub scrubs who play the game 30min a day and cry that a weapon is nerfed or that MWO is their first PC game.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 18 September 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#98 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 18 September 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

The weapons were nerfed bottom line, and is/are statistically worse.

I didn't say it didn't get nerfed. Something can have less effectiveness compared to its original state while still being viable. The laser builds for the Stormcrow were overpowered at launch. They were nerfed from that state but not to uselessness.

This isn't a thread on the competitive meta or the Timber Wolf. Go start one about GMan's list if you want to discuss that.

#99 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

I do not like the hardpoints on the C or D.

I replaced the head omnipod on the Prime to get rid of that awful 10% less armor quirk and thought since this is more of a hit and run machine that the LPL would suit more than the CERLL and their required long "face time".

I removed enough of the DHS to cram a CLPL and CERML in each arm and like it so far. I think I"ll try 2 x ERPPC and throw an AMS on next and see how that works for ambushing and survivability.

#100 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

And here I thought we were talking about this evil bird
Posted Image

I use the stock prime and just a gauss ermlas a i think it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users