156 replies to this topic

#81 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

to absorb damage in your side torsos you have to practically shake your patoot at the incoming fire. Always enter the room with a shoulder charge but don't try to take on a firing line.

i would like a hitbox rework on the ct, though. Takes a lot of work to utilize my side torsos against just average players, and vs good ones It is nearly impossible to keep my ct away from them.

#82 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

View Postjohntherussian, on 22 June 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

TL:DR - OP is butthurt that his monster mech isn't also invincible. Of course he should be able to facetank an entire enemy team without any consequence.

Uh, no, I'm raising a valid concern about the functionality of a mech, and as evidenced by this thread and others I'm hardly the only one with this concern.

View PostVassago Rain, on 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Maybe you shouldn't have blown 210 dollars sight unseen.

I bought mine ala carte. And I really enjoy the mech; I just think it has an issue that needs to be worked out.

#83 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostLunatech, on 22 June 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Having briefly played both, I agree completely.

Both are relatively easy to kill, but left unchecked they can do obscene amounts of damage.

The Dire Wolf is not a front line assault mech like the Atlas. Used as such, it will go down in record time. Use it as fire support and watch everything in front of you evaporate.

For a 100 ton mech, its supposed to be a front line assault mech like an Atlas. It is supposed to spearhead an attack or hold a position against an onslaught.

Fire support mech is code name for its a piece of garbage so it needs to hide behind real assaults and support them.

#84 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

I don't own Daishis, but my observation from playing with/against them is that in the hands of a good pilot they are very, very powerful. When piloted by someone who doesn't understand the strengths/weaknesses of the chassis they are a cbill pinata.

#85 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Anyone have a program that can open up the game display to the world how the hitboxes on the clan mechs are situated? I would be curious to see that.

#86 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Dire wolf center torso is fine. I pack enough firepower in mine to kill most mechs without a problem and you complain because it gets shot in the CT, its a big mech with lots of weapons, its CT is supposed to get shot, otherwise it would be a spider.
As for people complaining about movement and speed. If you cant pilot it smartly pack in as much long range firepower you want and you're set, it doesn't need to run fast.
People complaining about heavy or assault clan mechs underperforming must be taking the piss.

#87 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 22 June 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Anyone have a program that can open up the game display to the world how the hitboxes on the clan mechs are situated? I would be curious to see that.

How it currently is
Posted Image

How it should be

Posted Image

#88 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

The crotch should be split between the legs. because the crotch doesnt rotate with the upper body, so if the Dire Wolf is torso twisted away from you, you shouldnt be able to just shoot it in the crotch to circumvent the fact they torso twisted. That was the problem with the Atlas and why they fixed it. I also dont see a problem with the top of the hood being CT, I dont believe the Daishi's CT should be immune to LRMs.

Posted Image

Edited by Khobai, 22 June 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#89 Blarkon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostClaviger, on 22 June 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

You clearly havrn't run into someone who can use one is all I see.

Possibly - I've killed at least 50 of them. Been taken down once. Sometimes get 2 DW kills per game. My KDR has increased substantially since these wallowing glass whales appeared. I actually let out a yippee when I see one of these things now because I know it's the easiest mech for an IS assault to take down in the game.

#90 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I dont' think it is only because they are easy. They just have that thing like atlas's did before. Where everybody wants to roll in and own everything in one. Without understanding how hard that is going to be with multiple people shooting back.

So most of them are easy kills right now. Until the ranks of them are winnowed down to those who know how to run one. Then they will be nasty hard to drop.

Edited by Bartholomew bartholomew, 22 June 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#91 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

I dont' think it is only because they are easy. They just have that thing like atlas's did before. Where everybody wants to roll in and own everything in one. Without understanding how hard that is going to be with multiple people shooting back.

So most of them are easy kills right now. Until the ranks of them are winnowed down to those who know how to run one. Then they will be nasty hard to drop.

I know exactly how to pilot mine, I have them all mastered, the issue is not piloting! How many times do I need to tell people this.

I went against a clan mate in a private server, straight at each other, no dancing, his TW took me out before I could, it was maybe a 10 second fight.

I wasn't packing no small lasers ether.

I have screen shots of being shot ONCE, from across HPG and going from 100% to 99% and having a red core.

This mech isn't neo from the matrix, the DW doesn't have "bullet time" where everything slows down so I can move my 100 ton ass out of the way.

#92 Demuder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

I do not own a Dire Wolf, but from what I have seen this past week, I find them unexpectedly fragile. Sure, finding oneself in front of one, is a very painful experience, but they are easy to outmaneuver and flank. All the Dire Wolf deaths I have witnessed are from CT coring, I don't think I have seen any one losing an arm or a side torso. In fact, most of the times, the armor on everything than their CT is pretty much intact.

I can't say for sure if that's effective balancing, considering their enormous firepower. They are slow, they can't track anything faster than 70kph, they can't torso twist and they are huge.

What bugs me though, is that because of the CT distribution they do not behave the way one would expect. I would expect blowing the side torso off to be the way to take them down, just like blowing the right torso off of an Atlas. Instead, their CT is hollowed out in seconds. I would find it much more satisfying flanking and dismembering them instead of having all my shots magically land on the CT.

I would propose fixing the torso locations and then, if needed, nerfing some other aspect of their firepower if they prove to be too resilient. As such, they are no fun either for their pilots or for their hunters.

Edited by Demuder, 23 June 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#93 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

View Postorin, on 22 June 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Possibly - I've killed at least 50 of them. Been taken down once. Sometimes get 2 DW kills per game. My KDR has increased substantially since these wallowing glass whales appeared. I actually let out a yippee when I see one of these things now because I know it's the easiest mech for an IS assault to take down in the game.

Love these numbers, you are such a hero!

In response, i can tell you i lost count of the number of IS assaults i have literally melted in my dire wolf. Watching them turn and run while their arms are vanishing in puffs of hot metal is hilarious.

Thing is with these things, people seem to expect to walk out in front of half a team and not get turned to slag.....no mech can do that. If you are patient and cautious though, and your team is half decent, they are unbelievable. Nothing can come close to the damage output, especially within 300 - 400m.

The key here is you need to be on a decent team. Like every mech in the game, its only as good as its team.

What bothers me is people making statements and comments, when i guarantee a lot are basing their experiences on faceroll games, not purely a one on one situation. In a one on one, within 400m, i will take the pepsi challenge in my direwolf against any mech.

People saying 'yeah i killed loads of direwolves', are probably understating they were already damaged or half their team was also shooting the same dire wolf prior. A classic mistake of MWO forum ego stroking i notice....

If you walk round a corner and shoot a dire wolf once and it dies, guess what? You didn't kill it alone! Someone shot it before you, or it had been in a fight prior. Its not rocket science.

View PostOzeo, on 22 June 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

I know exactly how to pilot mine, I have them all mastered, the issue is not piloting! How many times do I need to tell people this.

I went against a clan mate in a private server, straight at each other, no dancing, his TW took me out before I could, it was maybe a 10 second fight.

I wasn't packing no small lasers ether.

I have screen shots of being shot ONCE, from across HPG and going from 100% to 99% and having a red core.

This mech isn't neo from the matrix, the DW doesn't have "bullet time" where everything slows down so I can move my 100 ton ass out of the way.

So people are saying its actually bugged/broken? As opposed to just vulnerable? Ok now i didn't know that, in which case yes it needs fixing. It has 100+ CT armour, nothing should be able to red torso any in one alpha.

#94 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 June 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

The crotch should be split between the legs. because the crotch doesnt rotate with the upper body, so if the Dire Wolf is torso twisted away from you, you shouldnt be able to just shoot it in the crotch to circumvent the fact they torso twisted. That was the problem with the Atlas and why they fixed it. I also dont see a problem with the top of the hood being CT, I dont believe the Daishi's CT should be immune to LRMs.

Posted Image

I agree with this very much. As is it seems the legs rarely get hit, and they have a considerable amount of armor that is rarely put to use as well.

I initially thought the hood should be split between the 2 side torsos. Even though that may seem like a drastic reduction in CT size it would still be a rather large target given the broadside profile as well.

All in all, I definitely think the crotch section should be legs as shown in the pic.

#95 H Seldon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Had an amazing experience yesterday. I lost both side torsos in my DW. I should have taken a picture, nobody will probably believe me.

#96 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostH Seldon, on 23 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Had an amazing experience yesterday. I lost both side torsos in my DW. I should have taken a picture, nobody will probably believe me.

Kudos, I've never seen it. Neither when piloting one nor shooting at one.

#97 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 June 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

I love how you removed that crotch CT weakspot that even the Stalker has...

#98 Cord78

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

So a few things i think that lots of people fail to remember when calling the Direwolf OP;

a) Clan mechs are supposed to be more powerful than IS mechs (better heat mamagement, better weapons, more weapons per tonnage)

;) it is a 100 ton CLAN Assault mech... it is supposed to be a walking wave of carnage. Stop complaining that your med/heavy mech is getting smashed by a direwolf in seconds flat... it is SUPPOSED to be like that. Stop trying to fight it like an inner sphere mech.

Regarding the CT on the Direwolf, I agree it does need to be reviewed and tweaked slightly. EIther reduce the size of the CT marginally or increase the torso twist rate so that you can actually use the arms/side torso's to shield yourself without exposing your rear.

I have done 1000+ dmg in different Direwolf variants and I feel that the balance is almost spot on, just the CT is a little bit too big. With 114 armor on the front CT there is no way it should go to red so fast when I am fighting someone 1 on 1.

I get that it is slow and has restricted turn/torso twists to help balance it out but it seems like the mech turn or torso twist rates were nerfed just a little too much. SO they need to either adjust CT hit box shape and size or adjust the turn/twist rates and it will be just right.

#99 Mazod

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 18 posts
  • LocationYou can't get there from here.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

I have been piloting assault and heavy mechs since I starting playing this game. I have found the DW a tad too fragile. The Atlas has always been my mech of choice, understanding it has limits was a must to survive and have fun. That said the DW definitely has limits, however the CT is far too fragile. I decided to take out my Atlas after mastering all 3 DW chassis. I didn't even have aim to hit an enemy DW CT. It was harder to not hit it. I was more worried about facing a Timber Wolf than a Dire Wolf.

#100 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

After some more fighting and viewing, I would repeat my opinion. Hood should not be part of CT on all clan mechs ;)

DW seems a little bit to fragile for its "size" and "power".

Edited by fandre, 23 June 2014 - 09:37 AM.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users