Bring Back Repair Cost!

63 replies to this topic

#1 Karson Kritz

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

Please bring back repair cost and ammo reload cost to the game! it helps keep the teams balanced and not seeing 6 out of 12 mechs being Assault mechs! someone runs an assault mech and only get 42 damage and loses their mech they should lose money that match like it used to be! if your gonna run and assault mech you better make it count or your out the Cbills. that was a great feature that this game should have never gotten rid of.

some of you might say well what if all your mechs are destroyed and your out of money? now you cant play!
then I say you really suck at this game, and its time to get back in a trial mech wich repairs for free!

PLEASE bring back repair cost.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

While I agree in principle, PGI have stated it won't make a return in any form until CW - and perhaps not even then.

A lot of very vocal forum posters are vehemently against it as well, so I hope you brought your flame-retardant underwear...

Edited by stjobe, 22 June 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#3 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

I wonder if the devs took repair costs out to encourage players to be more aggressive during fights?

#4 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

No thanks.

#5 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostSignal27, on 22 June 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I wonder if the devs took repair costs out to encourage players to be more aggressive during fights?

If they did, it failed miserably.

#6 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Oh god no.

I'm all for extra bonuses for surviving a round you win, or even tamping victory benefits somewhat by flat percentage rate repair costs (say, 25% if you are cored), but outright losing money while losing a match is a game killer.

#7 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

i didn't play the game when this existed but I can tell you this, if it was ever reinstated, I'd quit. I don't want to play a really fun game and then have to worry that I don't have enough in game currency or whatever and can't fix up/rearm my favorite mech and just hop into another game and continue to have fun.

HUGE turn off in that and I'm pretty sure it would be a HUGE turn off to new player from A: continuing to play the game and B: to spending real money on the game.

if they can get 4x3 working, you won't see the 6+ heavies on aside anymore and I'm really hoping it works. would love to see more variety but whenever you look at those percentages it is almost always < 20% medium, < 20% light and everything else bigger. swear most of the time light and medium are 15% or under.

Edited by Bigbacon, 22 June 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#8 Deadeye254

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

You can just use a Trial mech to farm cbills if you ran out, and yes I would like to see the return of R&R it is needed for full immersion effects and balance.

#9 Toadkillerdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

View Poststjobe, on 22 June 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

If they did, it failed miserably.

well, it also got rid of Cbill farmers (commandos that self destruct at the start of the match), allowed people to run lostech in their mechs that were reliant on cbills to buy them, rather than leaving things like xls and such so expensive that only people that regularly use MC can afford to buy new mechs while running them. It also encouraged people to actively engage in fighting, something I can tell you it did to some success. The spider that runs away at the end of a match isn't particularly common, and I've only had one or two in quite a while that actually powers down to stall, rather than try to snipe out mechs. The entire idea caused a whole lot of problems, it seems people just have a selective memory to it.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

It was already demonstrated as a flawed concept for one glaring reason -

People who paid cash for premium time were able to field better and more expensive equipment more frequently than free players.

#11 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Leave R&R out of the "Instant Action" arena that is the public queue.

DO bring it for CW in some fashion.

R&R only really punishes newbies, non-premium players and people who are just bad at designing mechs, like FF over ES, lol.

#12 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

View PostToadkillerdog, on 22 June 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

well, it also got rid of Cbill farmers (commandos that self destruct at the start of the match), allowed people to run lostech in their mechs that were reliant on cbills to buy them, rather than leaving things like xls and such so expensive that only people that regularly use MC can afford to buy new mechs while running them. It also encouraged people to actively engage in fighting, something I can tell you it did to some success. The spider that runs away at the end of a match isn't particularly common, and I've only had one or two in quite a while that actually powers down to stall, rather than try to snipe out mechs. The entire idea caused a whole lot of problems, it seems people just have a selective memory to it.

Let's not forget it was implemented in PGI's usual half-assed style, with free 75% R&R which people of course abused. Why pay anything when you get repaired and rearmed to three-quarters for free?

Nobody that's asked for R&R back so far has asked for the old R&R - everyone knows that sorry excuse for R&R was flawed.

#13 CG Chicken Kn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Ummmm no. 3/3/3/3 is coming soon, thus balance. Having R & R is also a huge penalty for new people coming in, especially those trying the game as free to play.

Having matches with massive cbill losses would be like the horribad grind that is WoT
Don't go there.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostScratx, on 22 June 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Leave R&R out of the "Instant Action" arena that is the public queue.

DO bring it for CW in some fashion.

R&R only really punishes newbies, non-premium players and people who are just bad at designing mechs, like FF over ES, lol.

so you want all people to just follow META all the time is what you are saying....

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

1. Buy Champion Cicada with MC
2. Sell said Champion Cicada for C-Bills
3. ???
4. Use your literally infinite money to laugh at any RnR attempts

#16 M Jordanus Sicarius

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 78 posts
  • LocationOntario

Instantly would make the game less fun.

#17 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostCG Chicken Kn, on 22 June 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Having R & R is also a huge penalty for new people coming in, especially those trying the game as free to play.

People trying out the game as F2P these days have Champion 'mechs to do it in; those aren't nearly as bad as the old stock 'mechs they've replaced (and which we had to use in the old R&R days if we couldn't field anything else). There's also the Cadet bonus to help them get some cash on hand.

View PostFupDup, on 22 June 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

1. Buy Champion Cicada with MC
2. Sell said Champion Cicada for C-Bills
3. ???
4. Use your literally infinite money to laugh at any RnR attempts

Easily circumvented by adjusting sell prices, or just disallowing selling MC-only 'mechs for CB.

#18 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think what the game needs is an economy. All of the best equipment is readily available if you have the C-bills. Which in my opinion cheapens the experience. But it's too late for that now. The Clan stock mechs are vastly superior to IS stock mechs. So limiting new players from DHS, Endo and other advanced tech would be too much of a handicap. Then you'd really have your lore Clans superiority.

#19 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 June 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

so you want all people to just follow META all the time is what you are saying....

No, and I fail to see what it has to do with this.

In fact, in a way it might actually encourage going meta and discourage experimentation because you can outright lose c-bills if your experimentation goes awry.

#20 Karson Kritz

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

its hard to lose money in a light or medium mech even when your mech got destroyed and you lost. you still made money. it kept every novice player in the game from spamming atlas and direwolfs all day long. you ran those if you knew you had the skill to do work with them! if you suck dont buy and run an assault mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users