Please Remove Obstacles (Boulders Sticking Out Everywhere, Low Tiny Buildings, Icebergs And Tow Cars Away)

83 replies to this topic

#21 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :)

I don't mind obstacles and clutter if they make interesting choke points and stuff. But this is the equivalent of an urban combat game where you can't step up on the curb. Those silly statues on River City don't actually do anything interesting tactically, they are just annoying.

#22 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

obstacles are obstacles, I agree, but there are some things on maps that should not impede a mech in any way.
I have found 80 to 85 ton mechs getting 'held up" on an 18 wheeler - really? Yet you can walk right through a dead mech chassis?

Also I have noticed that it seems that I can walk backwards much easier than forwards over hills and rocks etc...

Edited by vettie, 21 July 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostDavers, on 21 July 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I don't mind obstacles and clutter if they make interesting choke points and stuff. But this is the equivalent of an urban combat game where you can't step up on the curb. Those silly statues on River City don't actually do anything interesting tactically, they are just annoying.

Um... You do know that citizens put up statues in their city ...without any consideration to tactical use right?

Now my 100 ton stompy robot being corralled but Pipes on Caustic... That bugs me. But non-destructible terrain for the time being. :)

#24 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Um... You do know that citizens put up statues in their city ...without any consideration to tactical use right?

Now my 100 ton stompy robot being corralled but Pipes on Caustic... That bugs me. But non-destructible terrain for the time being. :D

I wished i could kick those statues to bits when i started playing on River City :) Now i just instinctively avoid them.
The pipes on Caustic have never bothered me though.

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostWolfways, on 21 July 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I wished i could kick those statues to bits when i started playing on River City :) Now i just instinctively avoid them.
The pipes on Caustic have never bothered me though.

To each their own! I admit it is a pet peeve. Destructible terrain would be really nice though.

#26 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

I'd settle for the removal of the invisible barriers.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostSephlock, on 21 July 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

I'd settle for the removal of the invisible barriers.

This reminds me of a match last night. I got "Stuck" in the open IIRC on Caustic(?). as the other players walked past my corpse... there was nothing to have stopped my movement! I was LOLWhat!

#28 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostMekwarrior, on 22 June 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

I believe it is ruining gameplay when using torso twist properly or reversing you are constantly getting stuck on the obstacles in the middle of combat and there is no reverse view to see them).

So... Gunnery 3 and piloting 6? TT advocates will understand that comment. I can sum it up in, "learn to drive".

View PostMekwarrior, on 23 June 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

I would be surprised to hear if anyone is using full torso twist and reverse while moving in combat and not getting stuck on boulders or other obstacles and protruding things.

Hi!... Light pilot here. I not only do that, but I also have a TrackIR which lets me look about freely inside the cockpit so I can change the angle of my view while still turning my legs and twisting my torso. I can back up with my torso pointed left/right and me looking out the opposite window toward the "front" of my mech to see what the enemy is doing while I backpeddle. I can do the same thing looking back at the enemy while going forward, dodging PPC shots at 140+KPH. Yes, I still get stuck on things but mostly mobile things like friendly mechs that like to run right at the enemy and block off my lines of escape in doing so while firing all their weapons over and over so I can't even cross in front of them to where there is space.... but I rarely get stuck on obsticals. (I am not going to talk about those pipes on caustic, you can't goad me into that).

#29 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Who here uses jumpjets for what they are meant for?

#30 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Collisions could use some work, I'll agree. But overall I like the maps. They are obstacles for you as much as they are for your opponents. It helps if you spend some serious time in the training maps and just wander around. Look at the scenery. Find the spots that are problematic.

Removing all those widgets would make the maps terribly boring. Do you really want to play MechWarrior set in the Spectre grid?

#31 Olunn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

100 mc for towing each car away

#32 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I just don't get it.

While I'll freely join the chorus of players who are annoyed by the odd bit of topology getting in the way of unadulterated charnage... I'll also add that I can count on one hand the number of times my movement has been otherwise thwarted by some pebble-size bit of detritus and still spare a finger to flip my foe the bird.

Yeah...Yeah... I've seen the clips where the Atlas came to a dead stop on a frozen fart. blah...blah...blah.

It about context...

Think about the sheer number of kilometers (or miles) one has travelled utterly unfettered and in contrast, think of the opposing instances where, "yes"... topology ruined your day.

Point being, some of you guys make it sound like you're constantly stumbling around the maps in some unyielding and ungainly drunken stupor because of the bits and pieces, when in context it's few and far between...

Just for clarity before ya'll jump me... Absolutely, there is sizable latitude for improvement... I'm just saying let's ease off the hyperbole throttle bit for the sake of being sensible?

Edited by DaZur, 21 July 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#33 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostLunatech, on 22 June 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

Make every map completely flat, while you're at it.

So make every map into Saskatchewan? :)

Posted Image

#34 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

They should remove all the ghost walls first

#35 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

View PostR5D4, on 21 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

So make every map into Saskatchewan? :)

Posted Image

Hey, that's good tank country.

And beautiful as well.

#36 Infine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

A mech should be able to traverse a knee-high obstacle (relative to it's size of course). It's legs aren't there for modelling business.

Right now it's kinda opposite. Small pebbles stop all mechs equally, but at least lighter and faster mechs usually have enough momentum to rush through them at high speed, while an Atlas gets stuck. I've recently seen an Atlas stuck at the HPG basement ffs.

#37 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

I like obstacles, but I don't like obstacles impeding me when the mech should be able to step over them.

Little stuff like that is yet another reason why variants without JJ are generally inferior to variants with JJ.

#38 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

What really needs to be fixed is the hill climb mechanic dead stopping you on something that wouldn't cause a 20-100 ton mech to come to a dead stop / or could easily just walk over if it wasn't for its millimeter extreme angle that turns it into the unmovable object.

#39 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Careful there, you might start to think about why to use some big human like robots that can get stuck with their legs instead of just tanks in the first place...

#40 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :)

Haha! Whenever someone complains about MWO, Joseph "Grandpa Simpson" Mallan will show up to justify any apparent flaw based on analogues from real life warfare.

"My AC20 hit that Atlas square in the face and did no damage."
"You don't think there are duds in real war too?"
"Yeah, but we were already two men down due to disconnects."
"You can't always count in reinforcements in war."
"And there was a guy on our team TKing his whole lance."
"Just like when I fought Charlie in Vietnam. I never did trust those local translators."
"Such a huge mismatch, and I spent 5 minutes in the queue waiting for matchmaker to work"
"When I invaded France on D-day, I had to wait five hours in the personnel carriers."
"Finally, I got LRM'ed to death because my Jenner got stuck on some invisible terrain while jump jetting."
"A land mine blew the tracks off my M-1 Abrams when I was in Operation Desert Storm. You adapt, you survive. You overcome."

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users