Please Remove Obstacles (Boulders Sticking Out Everywhere, Low Tiny Buildings, Icebergs And Tow Cars Away)

83 replies to this topic

#41 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Personally, I like all the little bits of debris everywhere. It's.... realistic. Yeah, I know, big stompy space robots, but still.

What I don't like is how the hill climb mechanic works with the tiny little pebbles. I would settle for half max speed, or even a quarter, when moving over "rough ground", to account for your mech having to actually be careful of where it's stomping. And reverse would be a quarter of max, I believe. We still go half in reverse don't well? So half of that over Rough Ground. That way, piloting is still an important skill to have, and choosing your path of travel has consequences.

For the record, I usually use the mini-map for reversing, and it's usually detailed enough to let me dodge the worst offenders, but sometimes your 100 ton assault mech gets a pebble stuck between his toes, and has to stop to pick it out.

It happens. Wish it didn't, but there are plenty of other things I would prefer them to fix first. Like invisible walls on terrain that will block shots. Invisible building geometry on any building which isn't a perfect square blocking shots that have a clear LoS. That sort of thing.

#42 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

View PostViges, on 22 July 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Careful there, you might start to think about why to use some big human like robots that can get stuck with their legs instead of just tanks in the first place...

While completely accurate... be careful when bringing real-world logic into this discussion. The essence of the BT universe implodes on itself when exposed to real-world functional application. :)

That said... "progress". There is real-world functional application for bipedal (In this case quadrepedal) mobility that includes the ability to traverse topology otherwise un-traversable by wheeled and or tracked vehicles.

And "yes"... I do realize this makes a stronger case for our mechs to not stub their widdle toes on pebbles. :D

Edited by DaZur, 22 July 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#43 Violator

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

Oh my....these little statues in river city....i've been killed countless times just by getting stuck against those. I never get even near them now.

#44 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Meh. Whinethread. Learn the map and observe your surroundings. If these things weren't there, we might as well do away with all the other aesthetical things, like skins, colors, mechs that look good. Just blocks that move around with perfect indication of their hitboxes in a colorcoded terrain in monochrome textures. Would be fine, don't you agree? Who wants immersion, details, and all that stuff when we can play Quake like the pros back in the day, with the glow-skins and reduced-to-below-min textures, to reduce the world to a gray and brown smear to better contrast the appearance of the enemy.

The only issue with terrain is that the hitboxes are terrible for most of it. It looks like your shots will pass, but they explode in the air. Yay. I guess I've become more or less capable of figuring out what distance I need to aim next to most things to be able to hit whatever I am aiming at, but then I go play a round of Battlefield 4 and I can snipe a guy through a pinhole...

Edited by POWR, 22 July 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#45 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

View PostDaZur, on 22 July 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

Hahaha yea good luck with that thing in Siberia or any other place in the word except of dry flat surfaces.

Even in a city environment vehicles will be better.

You still need to do that kind of researches ofc, but don't expect that *thing* will find wide acceptance. Btw do you know who bought Boston Dynamics? :)

#46 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostViges, on 22 July 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

Btw do you know who bought Boston Dynamics? :)

Our Google overload of course! :D

#47 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :)

Why should a multiple ton mech get stopped by objects weighing a few hundred pounds?

#48 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :)

I'm all for rubble and obstacles, but it is fairly annoying when you get stuck on something that your Mech should be able to lift it's foot over.

#49 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

Terrain is important. Do I think they need to review some things, sure. The only thing I want removed are those stupid statues in the front of the citadel in river city, the ones that can stop my Atlas cold in it's tracks and if I'm in a light, forgetaboutit.....

#50 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

I hate my ddc getting stopped dead by a volvo on river city

#51 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Let's just make MWO maps that are the source equivalent of "orange" maps already.

Posted Image

uugg. Go play an arcade shooter.

Or maybe, just maybe, give us this, and give us a hard core, campaign mode with full repair and rearm and a living world map. Let the arcade kids go play off in orange boxes.

#52 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

for me its the gandalf stones on terra even in i light mech there's 2 areas leading into the caldera evry time i send a clip in they fix it but then i find it some where else near by

#53 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 July 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Haha! Whenever someone complains about MWO, Joseph "Grandpa Simpson" Mallan will show up to justify any apparent flaw based on analogues from real life warfare.

"My AC20 hit that Atlas square in the face and did no damage."
"You don't think there are duds in real war too?"
"Yeah, but we were already two men down due to disconnects."
"You can't always count in reinforcements in war."
"And there was a guy on our team TKing his whole lance."
"Just like when I fought Charlie in Vietnam. I never did trust those local translators."
"Such a huge mismatch, and I spent 5 minutes in the queue waiting for matchmaker to work"
"When I invaded France on D-day, I had to wait five hours in the personnel carriers."
"Finally, I got LRM'ed to death because my Jenner got stuck on some invisible terrain while jump jetting."
"A land mine blew the tracks off my M-1 Abrams when I was in Operation Desert Storm. You adapt, you survive. You overcome."

Posted Image

It beats constantly whining about every little thing in the game :)

#54 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

When I was stationed in Alaska, we routinely drove Hummers through stands of trees when we needed to turn around on narrow trails. I don't mean we drove them between the trees, I mean we ran the trees over and laughed while drinking hippie tears. Now, the reason this was possible was because the permafrost meant the trees all had shallow root systems, but it illustrates an excellent point regarding the physics of weight, material strength, and leverage.

Simply put, mechs should be able to step over or step through some of the obstacles that will stop them dead in their tracks.

Notice what happens when the tank encounters most of the obstacles...The only thing that stopped him was high-centering it, which is pretty freaking hard to do with a bipedal mech.

#55 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

Haha! Whenever someone complains about MWO, Joseph "Grandpa Simpson" Mallan will show up to justify any apparent flaw based on analogues from real life warfare.

******* hilarious, Alistair!
Nothing against Joe Mallan at all, I find myself agreeing with his posts quite often, and I always enjoy his stories - but you really pegged him good (not like that, pervs) with this one.
Excellent stuff.

#56 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostPOWR, on 22 July 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Meh. Whinethread. Learn the map and observe your surroundings. If these things weren't there, we might as well do away with all the other aesthetical things, like skins, colors, mechs that look good. Just blocks that move around with perfect indication of their hitboxes in a colorcoded terrain in monochrome textures. Would be fine, don't you agree? Who wants immersion, details, and all that stuff when we can play Quake like the pros back in the day, with the glow-skins and reduced-to-below-min textures, to reduce the world to a gray and brown smear to better contrast the appearance of the enemy.

The only issue with terrain is that the hitboxes are terrible for most of it. It looks like your shots will pass, but they explode in the air. Yay. I guess I've become more or less capable of figuring out what distance I need to aim next to most things to be able to hit whatever I am aiming at, but then I go play a round of Battlefield 4 and I can snipe a guy through a pinhole...

Um, kind of a contradiction, people want immersion. If this game had immersion, the environment would be somewhat destructible which is where the real problem lies. 2 years beta, call it what you will, but you still cannot destroy toothpick trees blocking your view, pfft.

We have games that go back years that had more immersion than this game. I love the combat, but mech on mech physics are only 50% of the experience, the environment interaction would be the other half which is sorely lacking considering todays tech.

View PostPrezimonto, on 22 July 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

Let's just make MWO maps that are the source equivalent of "orange" maps already.

Posted Image

uugg. Go play an arcade shooter.

Or maybe, just maybe, give us this, and give us a hard core, campaign mode with full repair and rearm and a living world map. Let the arcade kids go play off in orange boxes.

Lol, the problem is that MWO maps don't look like this, but this is how they behave at times, as if it were block world. The environmental physics need work.

#57 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

How about fixing people shooting through walls on HPG and through Mountains on Alpine first.

Its getting very annoying and getting up there in age in terms of complaints.

Oh yeah and Ghost walls are not helping.

#58 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Blame the stupidly overpunitive slope movement system.

http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

Oh god this. Assaults were already slow as molasses and this dumbass system effectively railroads everyone into pretty easily predictable paths.

#59 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

"My AC20 hit that Atlas square in the face and did no damage."
"You don't think there are duds in real war too?"
"Yeah, but we were already two men down due to disconnects."
"You can't always count in reinforcements in war."
"And there was a guy on our team TKing his whole lance."
"Just like when I fought Charlie in Vietnam. I never did trust those local translators."
"Such a huge mismatch, and I spent 5 minutes in the queue waiting for matchmaker to work"
"When I invaded France on D-day, I had to wait five hours in the personnel carriers."
"Finally, I got LRM'ed to death because my Jenner got stuck on some invisible terrain while jump jetting."
"A land mine blew the tracks off my M-1 Abrams when I was in Operation Desert Storm. You adapt, you survive. You overcome."

Posted Image

With respect... My family fought during D-Day, I was not spawned yet :) . As to the rest... I want my Combat game to have some combat feel to it. So if I am fighting in a city, I wanna have the problems that can be encountered in a City. So Light posts, PoVs, Statues in parks... heck a Large water fountain could be cool as well.

The enemy does not fight you where it is convenient. My one concession is when we played on TT it was always sunny and 70! Cause we never remembered to add the environmental mods anyway. ;)

#60 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 July 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

Why should a multiple ton mech get stopped by objects weighing a few hundred pounds?

You ever trip over a foot stool? How much do they weigh in comparison to you? I don't disagree with you to much, but your giant walking tank is meant to have your sense of balance linked into its movement, as such stuff should foul up its movement as it may or may not mess up a walking or running person... Just a realllllllly big person.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users