27 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

I'm really sick of trying to slug people and hitting stupid invisible walls. Tourmaline is pretty bad on the ridges, but the hit boxes of the pillars in the middle of HPG are simply atrocious and should never have it past QA.

PGI please take the 15 minutes it takes to fix these hit boxes.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 23 June 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#2 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

Stop killing all the invisible ninjas!

But seriously that is simply terrible and should have been fixed on the patch right after the map was released.

#3 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

I got stuck on something invisible in the underground room thingie today on that map as well. Good times.

Edited by Elkfire, 23 June 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#4 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

why use thousands of polygons to make a pillar when we can just use 4!! and then just slap on some textures to make it look circular!

#5 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

Yes... yes they are. And they are not the only ones. Most terrain needs a overhaul since rocks and items somehow projects an invisible force-field about .5-1 m out from themselves that is bullet/energy/missile proof.

#6 Sky Legacy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

You think that's bad Crimson Strait is even worse there's all sorts of bizarre stuff I've ran into in there where you can't shoot over an overpass and such because there's invisible walls shielding it

#7 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 23 June 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

why use thousands of polygons to make a pillar when we can just use 4!! and then just slap on some textures to make it look circular!

The pillar uses lots of polygons, that's not the problem. The problem is that collision detection (and incidentially, hit detection) has to be calculated very quickly, and thus can't be done on the millions of polygons that represent the terrain graphically. This means that each "object" you see in a map has basically two sets of 3d coordinates, one that is used for rendering and another, much simpler one. that is used in collision detection. This means that collision detection will NEVER map to what you see perfectly.

Still, this is no excuse to have it diverge so horribly as seen on the HPG pillars and many other places in MWO's maps.

#8 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

It's not just the pillars in the center. The pillars all around the map share this magic shield.

#9 hero2zero

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

This might sound stupid, but why don't they just make the pillars square instead of round? that way the polygon count CAN be the same as the ones used for hit detection...

#10 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

I suggest an armor-upgrade for our mechs only buyable for mc. It is called terrain-armor. If equipped on a mech, it increases the terrain hitboxes for incomming fire by 1x%.

#11 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:48 AM

Still love that map

#12 Octavian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

i'd take them not fixing the hitboxes if they release new maps. provided it's not more of the same hitbox crap.

#13 Almeras

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 294 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:12 AM

They should just design objects to fit the hit detection mesh at some point things looking pretty doesn't matter when you wasted your last AC20 round on an invisible wall.

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

and who said we were out of BETA....

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

View Postzagibu, on 23 June 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

The pillar uses lots of polygons, that's not the problem. The problem is that collision detection (and incidentially, hit detection) has to be calculated very quickly, and thus can't be done on the millions of polygons that represent the terrain graphically. This means that each "object" you see in a map has basically two sets of 3d coordinates, one that is used for rendering and another, much simpler one. that is used in collision detection. This means that collision detection will NEVER map to what you see perfectly.

Still, this is no excuse to have it diverge so horribly as seen on the HPG pillars and many other places in MWO's maps.

Hit detection only has to run very quickly for the vast amount of empty space between you and the target, once it's actually there a bit of slowdown won't matter as much. This allows for the use of nested hitboxes to get more detailed collision detection as the projectile approaches an object. You still can't use the visible polygons, but in many cases sets of the more common hitbox types would work. A simple cylinder hitbox would greatly reduce the problems with HPG specifically.

#16 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

Tourmaline also needs a terrain hitbox pass. That map is by far the best designed one, but all those crooked angles and spires have some nasty invisible walls that block shots all too often.

#17 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

I don't even try to fight at the top anymore. The pillars are so bad it just isn't worth it. I am unsure how something that egregious would ever make it through Q&A.

#18 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 23 June 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

I don't even try to fight at the top anymore. The pillars are so bad it just isn't worth it. I am unsure how something that egregious would ever make it through Q&A.

You wouldn't happen to be a troper would you?
Edit for relevance, I only kill the mechs at the top, I rarely go there myself.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 23 June 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#19 KGB GRU

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 23 June 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

I'm really sick of trying to slug people and hitting stupid invisible walls. Tourmaline is pretty bad on the ridges, but the hit boxes of the pillars in the middle of HPG are simply atrocious and should never have it past QA.

PGI please take the 15 minutes it takes to fix these hit boxes.

I think we should nuke HPG and just have a moon map free of trolling geometry. Love the map HATE the terrain.

#20 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Vox Potentiae

Jun 25 15:07

Hello Troutmonkey,
The problem you have encountered is a known issue and we hope to have it fixed soon. We thank you for taking the time to submit your report.
This ticket is now considered to be closed, however this does not mean that we consider the issue resolved as bugs are tracked in a separate database. You can reply to this mail if you have pertinent information to add and the ticket will be reopened. Thank you for contacting the MechWarrior® Online™ support.

Vox Potentiae
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

Known issue? No ****.
Does the term "low hanging fruit" mean anything to PGI? Because they're essentially living in an orchard ripe for the picking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users