394 replies to this topic

#81 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostEgomane, on 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

At least for me! I want to be able to derp around a little without being punished for it immediatly.

I don't think that any group over 4 necessarily means they are only win-at-all-costs dirtbags... I'm sure plenty of 5- 10 mans will probably be derping around, drinking beer, and generally screwing around...I'm sure there will be plenty of nonsense to join with.

#82 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 June 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

You should re-read the OP. The 10-man would be paired with a 2-man.

And when the MM can't find a 2 man...which will be often, because who just plays a two man anyways...it's likely going to fill in with solos.

Personally, if I am playing solo I would much rather drop knowing I can play with a team as opposed to a team full of "Lone Wolf" pilots.

#83 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 June 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Please leave us your feedback on the latest update from Russ on upcoming features!

You may have noted that “these do NOT go to eleven”. In short, groups of 11 are an odd problem, only solved by either throwing unsuspecting random solo players into the likely much fiercer group queue games as the only player NOT in a group, or adding the complexity of giving solo players the option box to tell us they don’t mind getting thrown into the group Queue. Either way feels undesirable at the moment and we’re going move ahead with the one invalid group size.

I think the match maker changes that allow for bigger groups is a good thing because frankly the treatment of group players has been abysmal to say the least. However, the above quoted section is a real disappointment for me as a solo player. I really want to be able to drop in the group queue as a fill in, and have fun in that environment rather than forever being segregated into the mostly solo only queue. By doing things like this you take away a large amount of the players that I enjoy playing with and against as they migrate away from the pug drops and into the group queue.

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 June 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

In essence, this feature means no longer can you let yourself fall however high your JJ take you and receive negligible fall damage to your legs. As the name implies this is scalar based on weight class and tonnage, so light 'mechs won’t notice much of a difference but the Heavies and of course Assault' mechs will notice a significant change. Your typical jump-sniper Heavy or assault is going to take leg damage that is going to add up fairly quickly unless they change their ways. Pilot’s will need to learn to cushion their landings with their JJ’s and that means saving some fuel for a landing. They can either achieve this by not jumping as high in the first place or perhaps spending more tons on JJ when building their 'mech. All of this should add up and have the desired impact on MWO, which is to lower the overall significant advantage JJ-capable 'mechs have in the game, at least not without more of a trade-off.
It still bothers me that the Highlander which is designed with heavy landing in mind is going to be taking so much damage from hard landings, but whatever, I don't jump snipe anyway and I will just need to use JJ less to move around since it is going to be so silly now. :D

#84 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostPygar, on 23 June 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

And when the MM can't find a 2 man...which will be often, because who just plays a two man anyways...it's likely going to fill in with solos.

Personally, if I am playing solo I would much rather drop knowing I can play with a team as opposed to a team full of "Lone Wolf" pilots.

Since the name of the queue is "Solo Public Queue" I'm going to assume that Solo players go there, instead of filling into the other queue. Otherwise, there's no POINT to having a "solo public queue" since EVERYONE is in the same queue.

#85 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thank you for considering feedback on jump jets -- lowering thrust should increase the value of additional jump jets by quite a bit.

#86 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Good changes all round really. Maybe more to do with the matchmaker, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

I will add that I think a solo que should really be for solo players only, and the group que for all group sizes above one. Elo can sort things out for both. People trying to defend dropping in small groups vs the pug lottery are just trying to maintain their unfair advantage (communication has always been OP in MWO), and frankly probably need the practice that the new group que will encourage.

#87 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

View PostPygar, on 23 June 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

According to Paul,
  • Out of all matches launched, 84% are solo launches.
  • 16% are group launches. (We omitted our 12-mans because they will be dealt with separately)
  • Of that 16%, 8% are 2-man groups, 4% are 3-man groups and 4% are 4-man groups.

#88 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

View PostBilbo, on 23 June 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

I quit trying to play 12-mans regularly because of the difficulty involved in actually getting a match. Not to mention keeping the 12-man together long enough to get it. This solves one of those problems quite nicely. Still to be seen whether finding a match would happen on a more regular basis. I personally wouldn't care if I occasionally filled up an 11-man group, but others probably don't want anything to do with it.

Well hopefully it means it won't be sitting for 15+ minutes searching anymore. That gets old fast.

#89 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanx for the +4 group feature! This is awesome! Looking forward to play with my pals and not have to turn the fifth person down.

Making MWO the teamgame it is ment to be will not even drag a lot of players back into the game, it will also help community build up and player retention while also paving the way for CW!

So many thanx! Way to go PGI! :D

#90 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

This all looks great, looking forward to this patch :D

#91 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostRyoken, on 23 June 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Thanx for the +4 group feature! This is awesome! Looking forward to play with my pals and not have to turn the fifth person down.

Making MWO the teamgame it is ment to be will not even drag a lot of players back into the game, it will also help community build up and player retention while also paving the way for CW!

So many thanx! Way to go PGI! :D

Yes, finally throwing a bone to the long time paying customers who have stuck with MWO since the beginning!

#92 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

3x4 can't get here soon enough.

#93 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Larger groups and JJ fixes are extremely good news, thank you.

So when is smurfy like UI gonna happen or are you leaving that completely for the new UI engineer, whenever the person will be hired? :D

#94 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostP4riah1, on 23 June 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

After the patch I will drop against them MORE. Much more. The group queue will have a higher percentage of competitive players/teams than the solo queue, and I'll have I'd GUESS an equal chance dropping into either queue. And each individual incident of matching with/against them will be even less fun than usual because it'll be larger teams of them.

The amount of them I have to tolerate right now is as much as I'm willing to.

Just let me eliminate that possibility by restricting my MM to the solo queue and I'll be happy. Add that and all of these changes become completely positive.

if you ask me, no groups at all should be placed in PUG matches.

#95 Colonel Cody

• PipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoston; MA

As for the Highlander; It's described as having reinforced legs at one point so It can carry out DFA attacks. But it still too minor damage just from the wear and tar of jumping a 90 ton machine of death upwards of 90 meters in the air.
I have no problems with the either the JJ heat ort minor scalar damage. It's two things that have been missing from the transition from TT to the MW:O engine. A lot of issues concerning jump jets have simply been written off till now.

Edited by Colonel Cody, 23 June 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#96 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but how exactly does this work with 3 man groups with no solos to fill the 4th lance slot? Will a 3 man almost always drop in the solo queue? Will the matchmaker find a 5 man group and randomly derp their missile boat off to the other side of the map to be abandoned by the 3 man medium/light scout lance.

Can't wait to see how it works in practice, but, still I have concerns about group accessibility new players, as far as I'm concerned high Elo solo players with hundreds of matches under their belt have far more business being matched into the large group queue than two guys who just installed the game an hour ago.

#97 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostBoris The Spider, on 23 June 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but how exactly does this work with 3 man groups with no solos to fill the 4th lance slot? Will a 3 man almost always drop in the solo queue? Will the matchmaker find a 5 man group and randomly derp their missile boat off to the other side of the map to be abandoned by the 3 man medium/light scout lance.

Can't wait to see how it works in practice, but, still I have concerns about group accessibility new players, as far as I'm concerned high Elo solo players with hundreds of matches under their belt have far more business being matched into the large group queue than two guys who just installed the game an hour ago.

It doesn't in by lance, it fills them by team. So, that 3-man could either be in a game with 9 solo players, or it could be in a game with a variety of groups (9/3, 6/3/3, 3/4/5, etc).

Edit: I see what you mean about the lances being split up....

Hopefully they'll allow the lances to expand past the 4-person limit.
Ie., let Alpha be 5 players, Beta 4 and Charlie 3, etc.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 23 June 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#98 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

So, a while ago I created a thread about Big Group Queues.

Looks like someone at PGI stole my idea! How dare you!

Okay, fine, you can have it. I was giving the idea to you anyways, but fine. :D

Edited by Prosperity Park, 23 June 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#99 P4riah1

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostOzric, on 23 June 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

I will add that I think a solo que should really be for solo players only, and the group que for all group sizes above one. Elo can sort things out for both. People trying to defend dropping in small groups vs the pug lottery are just trying to maintain their unfair advantage (communication has always been OP in MWO), and frankly probably need the practice that the new group que will encourage.

This is not even close to true for most of us and is highly insulting. The solo queue is in many ways misnamed. What it probably should be better named is the casual queue. I play in a pair with my brother, and we by no means dominate matches. We don't play the game in order to win or dominate, we play to have fun. And the idea that we should be forced up against competitive teams 'cause we need the 'practice' assumes that skill is why we play the game.

And the idea that ELO will fix all is lachably naive. My brother and I have a fairly high ELO because we're ok at video games. But we are nowhere NEAR the competitive players in terms of skill. Yet, because the ELO brackets at the top have so few players in them, we run into these teams that outclass us constantly. Combine that with the boring meta play and their terrible attitudes, it makes for unfun games. Look at the numbers in the quote below and tell me that the group queue is big enough to not match me and my brother against these people even more frequently. Or don't tell me, because I doubt you like being laughed at.

View PostTygerLily, on 23 June 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

According to Paul,
  • Out of all matches launched, 84% are solo launches.
  • 16% are group launches. (We omitted our 12-mans because they will be dealt with separately)
  • Of that 16%, 8% are 2-man groups, 4% are 3-man groups and 4% are 4-man groups.

#100 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Europe

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just a few things:

1. All "naysayers" asume that 12-man premade = ROFLSTOMP for other side. How not true. 12-man premade - most of the times it's people gathered on the teamspeak and playing together. They are almost all the time little or none stronger than 12-man PUG without voice comm. The lesser the group, the worse.
2. Why don't all who started to complain about it wait for Public Test, then wait for patch and if you don't like it then complain ? Seriously, people asked for bigger groups ages now. Actually, I'm surprised to see that someone doesn't want this.
3. 99% of my playtime in the past year I played as Lone Wolf. I'm actually glad if I get premade as teammates. I can adapt and will follow whatever group tries to accomplish.
4. As someone already said, if you got steamrolled - big deal. Shake off the dust and move on, it's just one round, no big deal.

Personally, I'll keep playing as solo because of my scarce free time. I'm fine whatever happens with this. I'm just happy to see that PGI is listening to their players and tries to fulfill their wishes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users