#61 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Cool. I want to see how this will turn out.

As another said. 3/3/3/3 can only work if the community wants it to. The community can easily break it, if no one wants to allow it to work. If no one wants to play Mediums or Lights, it can't work.

#62 P4riah1

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

View Postturbofirefox, on 23 June 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Another solution that I would favor (instead of my son and me being dropped with a 10 man group against a 12-man competitive team and getting ROFL-stomped) would be to allow the 12-mans to choose an "only drop us against another 12-man" checkbox. They get to really "practice", and the casual players get to keep the fun.

Problem is the 12 man queue right now is hard to get games going because it only matches against other 12mans, so few people use it except for organized events. Allowing more freedom in the group queue lets them set up matches easier which is a good thing by itself. (For me, it makes group queues more attractive to comp players and keeps them away from me, but that's just me)

The fact that PGI seems to think that just because I'm in a pair or a casual stream 4man that I want to be matched up against these SUPER SERIAL people is a problem. Give me the option to stay the hell away from the group queue and I'll be happy.

It's also slightly naive to think that all they want to do is practice against equal skilled players. If that were the case they would already stay in the 12man and private games, despite the inconvenience. They LOVE crushing and trolling lower ELO players and everybody knows it. It's how they get off.

#63 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 June 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

So, this is what I'm getting.

Solo players will never be in games with groups in excess of 4 players, and will have only ONE premade per team.

2-4 man premades MIGHT get to stomp in solo queue...but also might get dragged into a queue that includes ALL sizes of groups.

5-10 man premades will ALWAYS be in the queue with groups of all sizes.

12 mans will be placed with OTHER 12 mans as a priority, but might also get to pugstomp varying sizes of groups of 2-10.

So...no more dedicated 12-man queue? Guessing that 'private matches' are reserved for that now.

If they make groups up to 10 possible, then there will have to be solo players to fill in the last couple slots. Really it just sounds like they are going back to how matchmaker worked in open beta, which is great because I think that's when matchmaker was the most fun anyways- as far as PUGstomps go, yes they will be possible, but given how many games end in a roll one way or the other anyways, I doubt that it really matters. (If you're going to get rolled, why not get rolled by the pros so you can see how it's really done.)

#64 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

welp, time to load up PPC Stalkers and continue the pubby meta ****.

stop treating the symptoms and address the problem.

be prepared for the return of your stalker, hill humping overlords

#65 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

@russ

I am continuing to explore ideas on how to reward players that choose the currently suggested weight class.

My suggestion is to add gxp and/or cbills next to the weight class like in this :

set a "pool" of 100gxp and 10000cbill. The player will receive the difference of percentage of the weight class selected from the said bonus. its easy, its rewarding and its very simple to understand.

example :

light 10 %
medium 25%
heavy 30%
assault 35%

If a player choses medium he will receive 75GXP and 7500 cbills
if he choses lights he will receive 90gxp and 9000 cbills

This way everyone will feel they gain smth by playing but those chosing the "right" class will receive more.

#66 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

I still feel 3/3/3/3 is a mistake. It makes the game too predictable and rigid. Not knowing the other teams composition is part of the fun of the game.

IMO wed be much better off with a max of 4 of each weight class AND tonnage matching that makes sure both teams are between 700-750 tons. That way a measure of uncertainty still exists about what mechs are on the other team, but without having to worry about 6-8 assault mechs being on the team.

Edited by Khobai, 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#67 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

View PostPygar, on 23 June 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

If they make groups up to 10 possible, then there will have to be solo players to fill in the last couple slots. Really it just sounds like they are going back to how matchmaker worked in open beta, which is great because I think that's when matchmaker was the most fun anyways- as far as PUGstomps go, yes they will be possible, but given how many games end in a roll one way or the other anyways, I doubt that it really matters. (If you're going to get rolled, why not get rolled by the pros so you can see how it's really done.)

You should re-read the OP. The 10-man would be paired with a 2-man.

#68 P4riah1

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 June 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

But you won't have solo players, either.

If you're part of a 2-man that's drug into the larger group queue, then you might also be with a 10-man. Or a 4-man, and a 6-man.

Meaning that your teammates will be COORDINATING. You won't get nearly as much solo derp derp...and that is PRICELESS.

I will take the solo queue derp over the brand of coordination brought in competitive matches ANY day. You have no idea how completely unfun I find the meta play in this game.

#69 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hell yes, jump jets are getting fixed. Love it.

#70 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

View PostDamocles69, on 23 June 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Did you just now log in for the first time in like 2 years?

#71 Mizore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 427 posts
  • LocationGermany

View PostP4riah1, on 23 June 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

If this is how it will work, I'll never play in a group again. Which might mean I'll stop playing this game.

I play sometimes solo, most of the time in a 2-man with my brother, and sometimes in a 4-man on NGNG streams. One of the major downsides of MWO for me is that the more casual community (such as myself) and the trytards have no way of naturally separating themselves from each other and playing in our own little corners with like minded people like happens in most games. Since I have a high ELO (which I hate), I am forced to have a chance to match with/against competitive players. When that happens, chances are I will have a not fun match. Their style of play and their universally ****** attitudes do not make a fun game for me personally.

And if grouping means I will be matched up with these people even more frequently by being FORCED into the group queue, then I will not group. Which means I will no longer play with my brother. Or join in on the NGNG stream lances. Which combined is ~80% of my playtime.

Give 2-4 mans the option of choosing which queue to use, and I will be happy. The various players can separate out their communities of like-minded people with all sorts of perfectly legitimate ways of enjoying the game and being happy. But if I'm to be forced even more to share matches with people who make the game unenjoyable for me to play, then I'll have to say goodbye.

Woah, could you please first try and then cry?

I guess it won't be as bad as you think...
At the moment you drop against some competetive meta-players and after that patch you also will... I think it won't change much.

I also don't like to play against competetive meta-players, but I believe that with 3/3/3/3 the gameplay will at least get much better than it is now with masses of heavies and assault mechs.

Edited by Mizore, 23 June 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#72 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 June 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

But you won't have solo players, either.

If you're part of a 2-man that's drug into the larger group queue, then you might also be with a 10-man. Or a 4-man, and a 6-man.

Meaning that your teammates will be COORDINATING. You won't get nearly as much solo derp derp...and that is PRICELESS.

It's still a more stressfull and therfore less fun environment. At least for me! I want to be able to derp around a little without being punished for it immediatly. I can do that in pugs and usually do. If I do it with competetive teams on the other side I'll watch most of my games from the sidelines or need to adapt to the stressfull playing style. I can guarantee you that the later is not going to happen.

Edit:
I will give the system a fair chance, but I have reaons to doubt that I'll like it. Maybe I get surprised!

Edited by Egomane, 23 June 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#73 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

View PostP4riah1, on 23 June 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

I will take the solo queue derp over the brand of coordination brought in competitive matches ANY day. You have no idea how completely unfun I find the meta play in this game.

You're going to find 4-man metas in that queue, too, just like you already do, and no less than you will find 12-man metas in the larger queue the way it is now.

#74 turbofirefox

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationIDAHO

View PostSprouticus, on 23 June 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

...Assuming that Elo and 4x3 are still taken into account...

That's a very big assumption... too big, I'm afraid. I've was in the NGNG teamspeak server when someone created a brand new account and was dropped in a match against some very seasoned (and not bad) players... based on this "experiment", I do not believe that the "ELO filter" will keep my son and I out of matches against a 12-man competitive team.

Also, I have watched several twitch.tv streams where the players are pulling off shots that I could never dream of making, yes, they are that much better than I am, and I'm ok with that... just don't make me play them. hahaha

#75 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

One of the major downsides of MWO for me is that the more casual community (such as myself) and the trytards have no way of naturally separating themselves from each other and playing in our own little corners with like minded people like happens in most games. Since I have a high ELO (which I hate), I am forced to have a chance to match with/against competitive players. When that happens, chances are I will have a not fun match. Their style of play and their universally ****** attitudes do not make a fun game for me personally.

AGREED.

Give 2-4 mans the option of choosing which queue to use, and I will be happy. The various players can separate out their communities of like-minded people with all sorts of perfectly legitimate ways of enjoying the game and being happy. But if I'm to be forced even more to share matches with people who make the game unenjoyable for me to play, then I'll have to say goodbye.

I think I agree with this sentiment. Although, dropping in smaller groups could be infinitely better for you: now you are in a 2-man with 10-on comms rather than a 2-man in the pug lottery...

#76 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostEgomane, on 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

It's still a more stressfull and therfore less fun environment. At least for me! I want to be able to derp around a little without being punished for it immediatly. I can do that in pugs and usually do. If I do it with competetive teams on the other side I'll watch most of my games from the sidelines or need to adapt to the stressfull playing style. I can guarantee you that the later is not going to happen.

That's fair. I see no reason why a 2-3 man shouldn't be able to choose to stay in the solo pug queue. 4-mans, I think, should move up. If you're rolling a full lance, play with the big kids.

One of the ideas I liked, once a couple thousand posts ago, was a 4-8 and/or 12-man queue. Keep everyone in 1-3 mans elsewhere...and in the other queue fill in on each team with only 2 groups (ie 4 and 8, 5 and 7, 6 and 6, or 12.)

Edited by Ghost Badger, 23 June 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#77 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 23 June 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

You are an idiot. PPC Stalkers haven't been relevant since December.

#78 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Funny how all the people who team up to crush PUGs in their meta builds now scream murder because they are pitted against their own breed...

#79 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

You're going to find 4-man metas in that queue, too, just like you already do, and no less than you will find 12-man metas in the larger queue the way it is now.

But in the public queue, it will be *at most* a 4 man. More likely, with the group size matching rules, it would be another 2-man. There is an absolute WORLD of difference between 2-4 players on the other team being unpleasant meta-types and all 12 of them. Seriously, people.

#80 P4riah1

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

View PostMizore, on 23 June 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Woah, could you please first try and then cry?

I guess it won't be as bad as you think...
At the moment you drop against some competetive meta-players and after that patch you also will... I think it won't change much.

After the patch I will drop against them MORE. Much more. The group queue will have a higher percentage of competitive players/teams than the solo queue, and I'll have I'd GUESS an equal chance dropping into either queue. And each individual incident of matching with/against them will be even less fun than usual because it'll be larger teams of them.

The amount of them I have to tolerate right now is as much as I'm willing to.

Just let me eliminate that possibility by restricting my MM to the solo queue and I'll be happy. Add that and all of these changes become completely positive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users