Technical Update - June 2014 - Feedback

114 replies to this topic

#21 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

I genuinely think you guys need to get the tree thing knocked out. Its just so late in the game and this silly thing even shows up in New mech youtube videos, where the mechs are supposed to look all badass but walk right through trees. I understand the lack of destructible terrain, but why put these little trees in the game if they are just permanent vision obscuring ghost trees?

(The tree thing really irks me)

#22 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostEgomane, on 23 June 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Any chance to get some love in there for us multi-monitor users? The UI really is a pain to use for us.

Maybe, I can't promise anything but we'll keep investigating.

#23 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 23 June 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Maybe, I can't promise anything but we'll keep investigating.

That's all I'm asking for. ^_^

#24 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

So, where are my loyalty points from the Phoenix package in all this? Or was that just BS and I need to seek a refund? Howzabout you investigate THAT?

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 23 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hey Matt... I liked the update.

Could you PLEASE look into performance decaying with thermal vision? When I play the game for long periods of time, thermal vision performance decays over that period of time. The longer I play, the more performance is lost. This is not affecting all maps in the same way, but Frozen City tends to be the typical culprit though. PLEASE strongly look into that.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 June 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#26 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

First: definitely liking the conspicuous shift in communication strategies; I think it's helping.
Second: Glad that progress is being made on several generally desirable items (ie private matches & SRMs)

Looking forward:
The push to make tangible progress on Community Warfare is appreciated but an equally important pillar of the game is Role Warfare. The advantage being that it is plausible to make quicker progress on Role Warfare than Community Warfare.

The JumpJet fixes (thrust per jumpjet and falling damage) will help provide a moderate reason for lighter mechs but the game still suffers from being overwhelmingly dominated by firepower.

The reason 3/3/3/3 has to be imposed is because the rest of the game does not make that a sensible choice on its own. The good news is that having 3/3/3/3 in place will provide a concrete gameplay reason to make that a viable balance.

The example I use is that my ECM Commando with nothing but TAG & NARC working with 1 or 2 LRM boats was death incarnate but I made trivial CBills & XP whenever I ran it. It was a perfect example of a Role-based Mech selection & loadout but the game punished me harshly for taking it because I didn't do any direct damage.

As I said, I'm hoping that many people being forced to run lights & mediums will help push the design team to provide a reward system not overwhelmingly personal damage-centric.

Hax

#27 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

How about bringing back better damage models to mechs? the moon crater look is bad.

#28 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

We'll continue to investigate ways to convey destruction in the game though it seems likely that upcoming efforts on destruction may be more focused on mech on mech collisions. We'd probably like to see Mechs truly convey their weight when they hit each other before doing more work with environment destruction. We'll keep you posted as and when we have something more concrete to share.

Sadly, you'd likely have to rewrite the maps to get truly destroyable terrain.

I'd still love to be able to properly level smaller buildings, the radio towers, etc. etc.

#29 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

REALLY looking forward to a matchmaker that works.

Although...

I wish you guys would stop calling it a "Solo Queue" when you allow groups in it. A single 4-man premade can completely dominate the sway of the match...even if the other team has a 4-man.

Just stop beating around the bush and give us what we WANT:

SOLO ONLY (NO GROUPS!)
GROUPS (2-12) + SOLO

SOLO ONLY: Allow solo players to choose if they want to play against groups (with a "Hazard Pay" c-bill/xp bonus) or only play against other solo players. Adding an option for players to choose to play "solo only" should not be complicated in the least. And giving solo players an incentive to play in the group queue will help balance it out (i.e., Risk/Reward mechanic ftw).

GROUPS+SOLO: Use logical filtering when matching grouped players (i.e. no 12-mans vs a 4-man and 8 solos). Try to match 1:1 with groups and fill in the rest with solo players that have opted in. Slight discrepancies in Elo can be fine-tuned with handicaps when placing solo players.

Just please make that happen. PLEASE. Other games have had great success with this format. There's absolutely no good reason not to implement this...aside from just being stubborn.

EDIT: LOVE the new solo queue. Thanks! ^_^

Edited by Bhael Fire, 01 August 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#30 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 23 June 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

snippity snip

This. I can't tell you how many players with terrible attitudes drop in four man's to destroy pug matches. It's obnoxious and it's just plain ruining the experience of the game for some people.

Edited by Techorse, 23 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#31 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thank you for the update.

View PostMatthew Craig, on 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

There has also been work done on SLI support that is now complete and again entering testing. It should ensure that users with multiple GPUs can make better use of them to get higher frame rates. As mentioned with the HUD work now complete to support 3D Vision, this gives something fun to throw the extra power of SLI at.

Can you please tell us, are any optimization ever planned for non nV users? We see you have time to sink in 3D Vision, but some love for the part of the user-base that runs AMD would be appreciated too.

#32 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

I can not wait to finally get SLI in this game!!!!!

#33 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 23 June 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

REALLY looking forward to a matchmaker that works.

Although...

I wish you guys would stop calling it a "Solo Queue" when you allow groups in it. A single 4-man premade can completely dominate the sway of the match...even if the other team has a 4-man.

Just stop beating around the bush and give us what we WANT:

SOLO ONLY (NO GROUPS!)
GROUPS (2-12) + SOLO

SOLO ONLY: Allow solo players to choose if they want to play against groups (with a "Hazard Pay" c-bill/xp bonus) or only play against other solo players. Adding an option for players to choose to play "solo only" should not be complicated in the least. And giving solo players an incentive to play in the group queue will help balance it out (i.e., Risk/Reward mechanic ftw).

GROUPS+SOLO: Use logical filtering when matching grouped players (i.e. no 12-mans vs a 4-man and 8 solos). Try to match 1:1 with groups and fill in the rest with solo players that have opted in. Slight discrepancies in Elo can be fine-tuned with handicaps when placing solo players.

Just please make that happen. PLEASE. Other games have had great success with this format. There's absolutely no good reason not to implement this...aside from just being stubborn. <_<

http://mwomercs.com/...sizes-and-more/
Says here Pugs are seperate from group play

#34 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostNaduk, on 23 June 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...sizes-and-more/
Says here Pugs are seperate from group play

Did you read it carefully?

Perhaps I saved the best for last: The New MM also allows for group sizes larger than 4. Yes, you will be able to create groups in sizes 2-10 and 12. How this works is that players that choose to continue to play in groups of 2-4 will either be placed into the “Solo Public Queue” or the “Group Queue”. Players choosing to play in groups of 5-10 or 12 will ALWAYS be placed into the “Group Queue”. While matches in this Group Queue are always formed of players in groups only, groups of 2-4 will appear in both queues. Players in the solo queue are ensured that there will be only one 2-4 sized premade per side. In the case of 12-person group, this means a positive change in that they no longer need to just hope another 12-person group happens to be searching. In the case where you launch with a 12-person group, the MM will first look to see if there is another 12-person group to match up against, if there is great, if not it will piece together 12 from the rest of the group queue for you to fight against.

There will be premades in the "solo" queue...it's an oxymoron....they need to stop calling it solo queue if they are placing GROUPS in it. No wonder players are [redacted] confused about what's going on in this game...

:)

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 29 June 2014 - 10:45 AM.
Language

#35 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

enable absolute inputs for Joystick users along with some other work like allowing you to move while the Battlegrid is up, for example

That sounds great! I'm assuming by 'Battlegrid' you also mean the Scorecard (Tab key) and Chat box as well? Nothing worse than trying to type a quick warning to my team and watch my Firestarter decelerate from 150kph to 0 as I type, that's practically suicide.

Keep up the good work, you guys have really been hitting the midnight oil pretty hard lately with great results. Thanks for the update!

#36 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 23 June 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

Did you read it carefully?

There will be premades in the "solo" queue...it's an oxymoron....they need to stop calling it solo queue if they are placing GROUPS in it. No wonder players are [redacted] confused about what's going on in this game...

:)

Wrong feedback thread dude. Post your comments on the new MM here: http://mwomercs.com/...patch-feedback/

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 29 June 2014 - 10:46 AM.
Language in quote

#37 Grits N Gravy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Love the news about absolute joystick positioning. Will there be a public test? Also, for this mode it might be helpful to have some non linearity controls for the Joystick's axis. This allows users to have finer control around the center of stick. Implementation is fairly simple. You take the absolute position of the stick, as reported by directx, and apply a power law transformation. So that it reports non linearly. Such as

Posted Image

This gives you finer control around the center. This a better adjustment than a plain senstivity adjustment, which simply applies a cutoff to the max input value.

Another input adjustment that will allow players to tweak an absolute control to their own liking would be a axis saturation control. Which is a transformation that functions to alter the min and max input outputs of a the stick. It differs from a sensitivity setting which limits the output to a fixed number.

For example, a mech which can turn 180 degrees. With a sensitivity setting of .5, if the joystick is fully deflected, say to a reporting position of 256, The mech will only turn 90 degrees, as the sensitivity adjustment caps the output to 128. A saturation change to .5, means that at 128 reporting position of the stick turns the mech 180 degrees. As the 128 is transformed to 256. This can be helpful because it means one doesn't full deflect the stick to rotate the mech.

Which would be nice for light and fast mechs. As you would tend to operate those mech with the stick fully deflected (torso fully turned). Which would be uncomfortable and a real wrist breaker.

Edited by Grits N Gravy, 23 June 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#38 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Can you ask Paul to specifically address the Clan LRM and SRM impulse values?

I posted in the Karl Berg thread here: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3492499

Someone posted that Clan LRMs are providing more impulse than IS LRMs. According to Smurfy's data, the poster is correct. C-LRM 10-20 have .4 impulse. All IS-LRMs and C-LRM 5s have .35 impulse.

There's also a discrepancy with the C-SRMs. All IS-SRMs are .11 impulse. Clan impulse is as follows for SRMs:

C-SRM2-.19
C-SRM4-.11
C-SRM6-.19

All streaks are normalized at .040.

#39 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

So, where are my loyalty points from the Phoenix package in all this? Or was that just BS and I need to seek a refund? Howzabout you investigate THAT?

There where your community warfare is.

#40 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 June 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

SLI support that is now complete

I will mail you cookies.
*holds up baking supplies*
Seriously though, who do I send cookies for this?

2560x1440 120FPS on my Yamakasi Catleap will be delightful

Even if I have to run in full window to get that high framerate. IIRC I had issues with fullscreen and 120hz not playing nice together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users