- - - - -

Technical Update - June 2014 - Feedback

114 replies to this topic

#41 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hey Matt, thanks for the regular updates!

Do you have any information as to if the Clan animations will get tweaked in the near future? Especially the Dire Wolf walks like it is on drugs, while it should look like a lumbering war machine :)

#42 ShadovV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

SLI will only support or will support CrossFire X?

#43 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

These guys run their web server of the main game server? really?
I showed this topic to a best friend of mine who happens to be IT manager of a huge national company, after reading the OP by Mat his very first words were BS, then he just laughed himself silly for good 15 minutes, then he said maybe these things work different in Canada.
PS i dont think he was implying Mat was not telling the truth, just commenting on the situation.

Edited by N0MAD, 24 June 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#44 Kelvin LZ

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

It may seam very minor, but... can we get some high res arms and legs for when we start up?, not sure if anyone else is annoyed by it. but it seams like im a PS1 human in a modern game.

#45 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostHax DB Header, on 23 June 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The example I use is that my ECM Commando with nothing but TAG & NARC working with 1 or 2 LRM boats was death incarnate but I made trivial CBills & XP whenever I ran it. It was a perfect example of a Role-based Mech selection & loadout but the game punished me harshly for taking it because I didn't do any direct damage.

How did you manage to run this? It gave a loadout error and refused to launch when I tried it since you "do not have any weapons equipped". When I mailed support about it (I was hellbent on making a support locust) they said it was supposed to be like that but it was a "known issue". Have they fixed it?

#46 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 24 June 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

I showed this topic to a best friend of mine who happens to be IT manager of a huge national company, after reading the OP by Mat his very first words were BS, then he just laughed himself silly for good 15 minutes, then he said maybe these things work different in Canada.
PS i dont think he was implying Mat was not telling the truth, just commenting on the situation.

Dude, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the database. All aspects of the system must ultimately access the same database unless they're running a replicated database in production. He was just stating that some of the code was poorly written, it was probably fetching a bunch of inventory records from the database and then re-fetching them unnecessarily or simply outright discarding them at the wrong time, thus requiring them to be re-fetched from scratch.

Your buddy is an IT manager, but he is no DBA or software developer, and thus knows very little about how these things work. We have some pretty skilled IT folk at our company, but they know diddly squat about how any of the software truly works.

#47 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

View PostGlycerineOxide, on 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

All looking good on paper.

However,

Any chance at all of getting a new map or three released?

Hawken is up to what 10 across something like 5 game modes? Five maps is getting very, very, very dull.

Plus, for CW you're going to need maps representing The Rock, Tukkayid, Luthien, Rasalhague etc etc can't have the same maps representing pivotal battles in BT now can we? Better get started on them imo if you want CW any way half decent and immersive....

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

So, where are my loyalty points from the Phoenix package in all this? Or was that just BS and I need to seek a refund? Howzabout you investigate THAT?

Makes totally sense to ask this in a technical update topic. :)

#48 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thank you for the clarity in communicating "what went wrong".

While there's a lot of good news about great stuff coming down the pipe, I really look forward to more details.

#49 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

It is a shame that it took this long, but I am glad to finally see some progress made on SLI support. Looks like you guys are making good progress and the next patch is shaping up to make some great improvements to the game.

#50 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 June 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Visuals.

+1 for visuals. I'd love to get the option for improved graphical fidelity back.

#51 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

Improved Communication +5

The fact that this signals the apocalypse is upon us--- bummer.

#52 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

So, where are my loyalty points from the Phoenix package in all this? Or was that just BS and I need to seek a refund? Howzabout you investigate THAT?

Loyalty points come into play with Community Warfare I believe but that's really a design question.

View PostDeathlike, on 23 June 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Hey Matt... I liked the update.

Could you PLEASE look into performance decaying with thermal vision? When I play the game for long periods of time, thermal vision performance decays over that period of time. The longer I play, the more performance is lost. This is not affecting all maps in the same way, but Frozen City tends to be the typical culprit though. PLEASE strongly look into that.

I'll be sure to take a look, please submit your system configuration to support so we can do our best to replicate it.

View PostGhost Bear, on 23 June 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

How about bringing back better damage models to mechs? the moon crater look is bad.

It was deemed too expensive to create on the art side for the visual gain it provided, so is unlikely to come back anytime soon, we are looking at other ways to improve the damage visuals though.

View PostXenonCx, on 23 June 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

[/size]

That sounds great! I'm assuming by 'Battlegrid' you also mean the Scorecard (Tab key) and Chat box as well? Nothing worse than trying to type a quick warning to my team and watch my Firestarter decelerate from 150kph to 0 as I type, that's practically suicide.

Keep up the good work, you guys have really been hitting the midnight oil pretty hard lately with great results. Thanks for the update!

Actually I was looking at the chat box yesterday and that's a separate issue, technically its similar but the issue is many users have throttle/turning commands bound to keys you also use during chat so as you chat your mech will also get those inputs which is probably not what most users want. I agree though it would be nice for the chat box to not kill your movement we'll keep looking for a neat solution.

View PostRedDragon, on 23 June 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Hey Matt, thanks for the regular updates!

Do you have any information as to if the Clan animations will get tweaked in the near future? Especially the Dire Wolf walks like it is on drugs, while it should look like a lumbering war machine ;)

That's up to art and production to decide if they want to make adjustments.

View PostN0MAD, on 24 June 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

The website has it's own database; however, the website has to query a lot of information from the main game database for your stats and inventory information for your website profile.

With regards to maps again that's a question for art/design.

#53 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostCavendish, on 24 June 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

How did you manage to run this? It gave a loadout error and refused to launch when I tried it since you "do not have any weapons equipped". When I mailed support about it (I was hellbent on making a support locust) they said it was supposed to be like that but it was a "known issue". Have they fixed it?

That was a while ago. I haven't play much since last summer after I got bored. I've poked my head back in a few times since then to see if much has changed but not with enough organization to try that build again.

#54 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

Whoohoo! SLI Support.

Thanks PGI.

#55 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

you said clan lrm min range would be fixed on the next patch. well here's the next patch where the **** is it?

Just checked the fix is in test, there were other changes made alongside that change that mean it required more than just a quick test to ensure nothing else broke.

#56 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

The only thing better than your original post, Matt, is you actually sticking around for a while to respond to questions. That was a HUGE complaint for the last year or two, so thank you very much for the extra involvement.

#57 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

is it just me or does the Dire wolf center torso need some more armor or a hitbox fix it seems to get hit in the ct way to much making it seem more weak than the 'great death' it's suppose to be.

#58 Semper Fi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe Great North West of US

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thank you for all the hard work, and I am loving most of the clan aspect. (LRMS need to be looked at for convergence or spread, or something).

I am very much looking forward to dual monitors changes, joystick improvement, and some speed you are working on, and I know this is not your space, but any word on a new map?

It would be great to get a new map while we wait for CW. :)

Semper Fi

#59 Sirgrant

• PipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSan DIego Area (Vista, CA)

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Excellent work! Can anyone tell me why my graphics card GTX560ti and CPU/system fans ramp up higher within the UI than they do during actual gameplay?

#60 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 24 June 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Just checked the fix is in test, there were other changes made alongside that change that mean it required more than just a quick test to ensure nothing else broke.

okay, fair enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users