Request To Pgi To Remove Tarra Therma From Mwo

68 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove Tara Therma? (182 member(s) have cast votes)

Remove it?

1. Yes (21 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

2. No (138 votes [75.82%])

Percentage of vote: 75.82%

3. Try to fix it. (post below) (23 votes [12.64%])

Percentage of vote: 12.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'm not normally one to say I hate maps in games. Normally when I play games it is for the simple reason that I simply want to have Fun. But I Cannot STRESS ENOUGH how much I hate Tarra Therma. It's perhaps the most hated map in MWO. Every time I've been on it from the time that it was first installed into the game, the chat always fills up with how much people hate this map. I've proposed methods to potentially "Fix" this map. All of which have just been ignored because of the people who dislike this map. So Please PGI. Spend some of the Money you've gotten from those Golden Target- uh... Golden Clan Mech's! and put it towards making a map people will LIKE!

#2 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 29 April 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

I'm not normally one to say I hate maps in games. Normally when I play games it is for the simple reason that I simply want to have Fun. But I Cannot STRESS ENOUGH how much I hate Tarra Therma. It's perhaps the most hated map in MWO. Every time I've been on it from the time that it was first installed into the game, the chat always fills up with how much people hate this map. I've proposed methods to potentially "Fix" this map. All of which have just been ignored because of the people who dislike this map. So Please PGI. Spend some of the Money you've gotten from those Golden Target- uh... Golden Clan Mech's! and put it towards making a map people will LIKE!

I love this map, and so do my ballistics! Bring on more heat, make that volcano ERUPT!

#3 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I have no direct Problem with Terra...sure, it's quite hot, but it's hot for all...if you defend in the volcano, you have even a little more heat, but that is the same as on caustic with the caldera...
The problem, that I have is with much players, who drive me crazy with their behaviour... :P
F.e.: at the beginning of the match, I aks if we we go in or stay out. I get the word back, that we want to go in. If you want to take the middle of Mordor, you have to take fast and in numbers. So I go in, having my whole team behind me and then my team see one or two enemy mechs and make a hard brake and keep standing in the entrance, which is one of the worst thing you can do on this map...I'm in and get shot to pieces and my team stand's there in the entrance, at best the first 2-3 have a line of fire to the enemy, the others do more friendly fire than anything useful. and they're all a nice target for arty and air strikes...that happens so often...
I mean...if I hadn't asked at the beginning and would just run into the middle, i couldn't complain...but that's why I ask before...if they want to stay out...that can work too, no question...but say the word...
But that is not the maps fault!

#4 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

For heaven's sake, if the map was -30 Celsius everyone would love it.

As far as I can tell the big difference between Therma and Caustic Valley is that Therma is hotter and has lava.

Lots of the other complaints people have apply to other maps they don't complain about, for example "it has narrow valleys" applies to Canyon Network.

#5 Rahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBlaine Washington

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

i just hate getting it 4 times in a row

#6 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

People don't like hot maps because they pilot alpha-machines and the heat limits their alphas.

That is not a valid reason to remove a map from the game.

It is a valid reason for people to stop making alpha-machines.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

A few very interesting things.

Volcano eruption.

Remove center volcano in favor of flat land.

Possibly enable ability to sever the support beams holding the central platform and ring in place?

Avoid center of map.

Give assaults something to actually do or defend.

Give purpose to capturing bases in conquest; it's completely pointless in MWO to capture in conquest. The pay is equal to a kill assist and that's NOT worth 40+ seconds to capture a base let alone several.

View PostRahl, on 29 April 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

i just hate getting it 4 times in a row

Also reduce its frequency. I get it often in a row, too.

But there's no need to remove it.

Another thing; add more 'visual' temperature.
Like this

#8 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 29 April 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

the map works as intended, theres absoultely nothing wrong with it

if you dont like it fine, if its too hot learn to heat manage

I have no issues with the map whatsoever

#9 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

well I see I'm in the Minority here. I got no problem with that. Yes I know how to heat manage. But it's kinda silly when I can Over heat using a Small Laser. Plus it keeps popping up like 6 times in a row. If they fixed that I don't think I'd mind it as much.

#10 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

I love my laser weapons but I don't care about the heat on Terra Therma. What bothers me about it is that it is a more boring map than it should be. It's basically square and the only interesting feature is the volcano. The rest of the map is mostly unremarkable. Everyone drifts towards the volcano even in modes where it is not a stratigically important feature because it's the only feature that sticks out.

#11 GoCanes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

I like the map as it is. What I want to see is more maps so we don't play the same map 3 times in a row. I actually think they should take each map that is currently in the game and create a new map that is the same planet but has a different strategic location to fight over.

#12 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Again?? Really?? Terra Therma is a great map!

#13 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 29 April 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

People don't like hot maps because they pilot alpha-machines and the heat limits their alphas.

Makes entirely too much sense.

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 30 April 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Makes entirely too much sense.

I don't like this map because of the manner in which most people I'm playing with/against play it. I also don't like this map because I would never willingly take my main mech, which is not an Alpha-machine, into a match on it. That said, I don't believe it should be removed.

#15 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Here's how to not hate Terra Therma, in one simple step:

Step 1) Don't rush into center like a tool.

That's all there is to it, folks. Just don't go into center. There's no reason to.. there's nothing of value there. There's no pot of gold at the bottom of the lava pit.

Move around the OTHER parts of the map... The fights are pretty much guaranteed to be far more interesting when everyone's not jammed up into little narrow pathways into the center.

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

i don't mind this map, as others have stated too many juts cluster into the middle and in the choke points and it gets silly.

I'd rather vote to remove river city.

#17 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

IF anything they should fence off the center volcano so PUGs won't all go rushing in for it lol... And I like river city and its tunnel of death.

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 April 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Here's how to not hate Terra Therma, in one simple step:

Step 1) Don't rush into center like a tool.

That's all there is to it, folks. Just don't go into center. There's no reason to.. there's nothing of value there. There's no pot of gold at the bottom of the lava pit.

Move around the OTHER parts of the map... The fights are pretty much guaranteed to be far more interesting when everyone's not jammed up into little narrow pathways into the center.

If only everyone knew and believed this.

#19 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

in responce i like alpha machines dont care if its hot or not there fun to play and hitting the start up button screaming at the computer is so much fun. but also who cares we have private matches league play here we go annd the stupid pug matches are no more

#20 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hmm, make more 'hot' maps.. ...make players have to think about how much heat they generate..

Posted Image

Personally I think this map is great, it becomes a bad map when players just want to alpha, or everyone follows the same old go to the crater, snipe, charge, die gameplay. It has such opportunities, like heading to the crater, luring mechs while your team does a flank, or charging round the mounds to break up enemy groups (like we did last night to score an epic tie.. ..poor atlas being left alone!). For lights, this map is just nuts!

And at the end of the day, the high heat really does stop weapon spamming which makes for much more interesting and fun rounds.

Edited by White Bear 84, 30 April 2014 - 03:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users