Cross Tech - Should it be allowed?

220 replies to this topic

Poll: Once Clan tech is brought into the game, should players be allowed to place clan weapons on Inner Sphere mechs and vice versa? (461 member(s) have cast votes)

Cross Teching?

1. I WANT Cross Teching. (260 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. I DO NOT want Cross Teching (115 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Undecided. (67 votes [14.57%])

Percentage of vote: 14.57%

4. What Is Cross Teching? (18 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 MrM1971

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Until they allow Clan affiliation we are all Inner Sphere Mech warriors ( even if you are a merc or lone wolf )

Beeing a Inner Sphere Mech warrior it would be near impossible to get Clan Tech to begin with .

The Clans did not sell tech to the inner sphere so the only way to get it was thru salvage after battles with them ( and since they are not in game yet why would there tech be )

#42 Teralitha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostIan, on 20 June 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Its the same as buying any other improved weapon. So buying any weapon upgrade is paying to win in your book. And actually I would think it would be more involved than just pay cbills to get clan tech. They are not the types of things you will find on the open market, but they should be available.

That's your opinion. You are welcome to it. I completely disagree. For balance reasons the tech needs to be available to all players. If the Mechlab is in, Clan tech must be available to all (when it becomes available) to balance sides. So far as I can tell you seem to be attempting to browbeat people into believing your opinion is fact without anything to back it up other than more opinions.

I think your perspective on balance is way off.

Here is a simple graph demonstrating the balance with puretech vs crosstech between the different size chassis.

Power level of Light|medium|heavy|assault

With Puretech |-|--|---|----| With crosstech |-|-|-----|---------|

Matches will become more about who brings the most heavy/assault crosstech boats, and light/mediums will be almost nonexistant/useless , save for 1 to be a scout.

Edited by Teralitha, 20 June 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#43 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Crossteching is fine in my books. It's the only way I can slap a light Gauss on an Urbie and kick some Atlas ***!

#44 Perfect Life

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Sorry, I am an *****.

Anyhow, Clantech could seriously make the game go rediculous. I'm hoping they implement it in a way that lets just about anyone obtain it and use it as they see fit if only to keep the skilled/unskilled divide from growing so large new players are put off the game.

#45 IronGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, trying to scam hip actuators from that seedy Liao Rep...

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

I want cross teching BUT in a limited way. example i have 4 med lasers on my catapult i replace them with the identical Clan tech
HOWEVER.....
i DONT want to see clan armor or internals or engines on IS chassies
as far as IS gear on clan mechs id say the same applies ( but why would you unless in game buget is an issue or battlefield slavage is implemented)

And as far as the mech lab goes id PREFER a system that maintains the integrity of the base chassie and it varients

example: i dont mind a hunchback prime swapping out 1 autocannon for a dif one ( or cluster of smaller ones)
but i dont want to see the AC20 replaced by duel PPCs

this is to do more with the reality of rebuilding ANY machine to be what it wasnt designed to be.
it CAN be done , sure... but if you choose lets say to change your catapult to a duel auto cannon rig this should mean your catapult is gone for a game year or so while the whole chassie and structure are rebuilt to accommodate the mounts, new ammo feed system and whatnot. not to mention the time it takes to rebuild and sync the targeting computers. ( in the lore over taxed TCs was an issue with many vairents)

agian my 2 cbills

#46 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Clan Gauss rifles are the closest clan weapon to the IS counterpart.

#47 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

View PostIan, on 20 June 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Clan Gauss rifles are the closest clan weapon to the IS counterpart.

But they weigh the same as the IS light gauss.... so as one poster said... they are amazing.

#48 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

lol, that made no sense... I have faith in the devs to realize that crossteching will ruin the game.

No, you have faith that the dev's will see things EXACTLY as you do, and are so blinkered that you fail to even consider that you might not be on the same page as them. Hence my post. I'm ambivalent on the idea personally, however after reading your posts, you don't appear to have the same wide perspective, merely a narrow "my way or OMGTHEGAMEISRUINED" attitude. You have (most likely) not played the game, and have no basis for these statements other than merely making assumptions without all the facts.

In regards to my last point, you're welcome to try and argue your way out of it, however, really, thats all any of us can do unless it is critiquing something that has been shown to us, IE, the MechLab. (Even there, huge disagreements exist as to how certain features are being implemented.) Your post here, is merely fear mongering, about how something that was implemented in other MW games (not this one, which is the point) had, in your opinion Ruined Teh Game. (Spelling intentional.)

Finally, as stated earlier, I'm ambivalent, and my first post was meant to reflect that; I hope the dev's keep an open mind to this feature. I've seen it implemented in the past to great success, but keeping in mind that this is a different game, and prior entries in the series, or prior implementations are not in any way indicative of how it may be featured here. Hopefully you've realized my perspective on this, and why I consider this to be not merely a useless poll, but one that is positively unhelpful, unnecessary, and ultimately, counter-productive as it's only real potential here is to inflame the community over a feature that hasn't even been announced yet, and is months of from even starting to be an issue.

Cheers

Edited by Zso Sahal, 20 June 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#49 Kaahle Aheb

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

I voted pro cross-tech, but I agree that balance needs to be kept in mind. In the end it all depends on how the devs implement it. Heck, they could get so scared of cross-tech that somehow Clan tech ends up being weaker than IS tech to begin with.

#50 Gonzo007

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

I am against cross teching - for the simple reason of balance. Being able to cross technologies will unbalance the game in a horrible horrible way. But, I know this type of thing had a huge following in MW4, as did PURE TECH.

But I think it might be good for the devs to know where the populous stands on the issue before they bring in the clans.

Ok it seems alot dont know what cross teching is... I will explain. Its when you have clan weapons, placed on inner sphere mechs. or vice versa. Like placing clan er lasers on your atlas. And clan LRMS> Or placing light guass rifles on your kodiak. Mixing the technology between clan and inner sphere.
its more like other way, if you keep clan tech within clan mech's - i'm pretty sure no balancer then help, and Clans will just anihilate anyone from IS
And using clan tech on IS mechs are 100% fluff approved.

#51 Veliq

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

I was always under the impression that most Cross Tech wasn't capable of being done in the tabletop/roleplaying versions. Something concerning the compartmentalization of the Clans technology that allowed it to be swapped in and out easily and localizing blowouts during ammo explosions. I do seem to recall being able to use the clan heat sinks and armor plating.

I have always preferred not allowing cross tech however due to the unfair advantages and imbalanced gameplay that always spawned.

#52 Nian

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Give me an ERPPC any day!

#53 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostZso Sahal, on 20 June 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

No, you have faith that the dev's will see things EXACTLY as you do, and are so blinkered that you fail to even consider that you might not be on the same page as them. Hence my post. I'm ambivalent on the idea personally, however after reading your posts, you don't appear to have the same wide perspective, merely a narrow "my way or OMGTHEGAMEISRUINED" attitude. You have (most likely) not played the game, and have no basis for these statements other than merely making assumptions without all the facts.

I regards to my last point, you're welcome to try and argue your way out of it, however, really, thats all any of us can do unless it is critiquing something that has been shown to us, IE, the MechLab. (Even there, huge disagreements exist as to how certain features are being implemented.) Your post here, is merely fear mongering, about how something that was implemented in other MW games (not this one, which is the point) had, in your opinion Ruined Teh Game. (Spelling intentional.)

Finally, as stated earlier, I'm ambivalent, and my earlier post was meant to reflect that; I hope the dev's keep an open mind to this feature. I've seen it implemented in the past to great success, but keeping in mind that this is a different game, and prior entries in the series, or prior implementations are not in any way indicative of how it may be featured here. Hopefully you've realized my perspective on this, and why I consider this to be not merely a useless poll, but one that is positively unhelpful, unnecessary, and ultimately, counter-productive as it's only real potential here is to inflame the community over a feature that hasn't even been announced yet, and is months of from even starting to be an issue.

Cheers

Your post suggests that I do not consider all sides. I already have. The math is done. The answer is clear. Pure tech for the good of the game. crosstech, for the downfall of the game. Say what you will about me, but mark my words... if anything goes... ie crosstech, this game will degenerate into a state of rediculousness to which there is no return. And you will remember me... the prophet of reason, who warned you all, and you didnt listen.

View PostGonzo007, on 20 June 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

its more like other way, if you keep clan tech within clan mech's - i'm pretty sure no balancer then help, and Clans will just anihilate anyone from IS
And using clan tech on IS mechs are 100% fluff approved.

Nope. even in BT the clans were stopped using IS tech.

#54 Gonzo007

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostIronGoat, on 20 June 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

example: i dont mind a hunchback prime swapping out 1 autocannon for a dif one ( or cluster of smaller ones)
and? what crosstech have with that? You can do that and with normal tech.. if you get space for that PPC's

Nope. even in BT the clans were stopped using IS tech.
wha? It not like anyone sane from clans will gona use IS tech.. don't you think so? It all about having clan tech on IS mechs and not vice versa

#55 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

I am against cross teching - for the simple reason of balance. Being able to cross technologies will unbalance the game in a horrible horrible way. But, I know this type of thing had a huge following in MW4, as did PURE TECH.

But I think it might be good for the devs to know where the populous stands on the issue before they bring in the clans.

Ok it seems alot dont know what cross teching is... I will explain. Its when you have clan weapons, placed on inner sphere mechs. or vice versa. Like placing clan er lasers on your atlas. And clan LRMS> Or placing light guass rifles on your kodiak. Mixing the technology between clan and inner sphere.

didnt the devs say if they were implimenting this they would have it set up like hardpoints but for the entire mech as a whole? like 2 clan tech objects are able to be in this mech

#56 Gonzo007

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

and why you can't do that without clan tech? its all legit

#57 Doom8986

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

cross tech was in the older mech warriors why would be so bad to have it. its not like someone will get the upper had ina game of skill and chance by useing cross tech

#58 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 20 June 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I feel part of the joy of BT and the wonder of certain pilots to be special, is their ability to maximize a sub-optimal setup. Cross tech makes this even worse.

It just turns mechs into vanity avatars.

hm in many ways i agree with that... but i have a feeling (seeing how mmo´s evolve in the last years) that ppl just don´t like to "deal with the worst possible, and make the best of it" anymore... they want that vanity-avatar stuff with the possibility to build a "uber killer what ever" out of it...

i can only hope, that pg stay true to their words and DON´T hit just for the masses but for a BT-worthy gameplay...
but honestly, i already put on my armor, because i see somehing ugly and painful heading my way in the next few month <_<

May Kerenski hear our words (and kill his children xD)

#59 IceTitan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 113 posts
  • LocationOntario/Canada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

Should be extremely limited, and expensive, and prone to failures etc. IS has a hard time using clan tech because their hardware are not compatible. So if cross tech is allowed, they should make chances of missfire, and very expensive mods, and require the mech in question to be fully mastered. Otherwise .o, clan tech should be extremely restricted, and diificult to make use of. You want to be a munchkin and use clan tech, then take the consequences of cross teching. Otherwise no, dont even want clan tech to be player usable as is.

#60 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Your post suggests that I do not consider all sides. I already have. The math is done. The answer is clear. Pure tech for the good of the game. crosstech, for the downfall of the game. Say what you will about me, but mark my words... if anything goes... ie crosstech, this game will degenerate into a state of rediculousness to which there is no return. And you will remember me... the prophet of reason, who warned you all, and you didnt listen.

Oh boy. So, you've played the game. Not only that, you've played the game in some future reality where the dev's failed to heed your forum whining, and the game failed. Consider me skeptical until I see some proof.

Btw, the irony of your "Prophet of Reason" comment has me rolling. This is gold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users