Cross Tech - Should it be allowed?

220 replies to this topic

Poll: Once Clan tech is brought into the game, should players be allowed to place clan weapons on Inner Sphere mechs and vice versa? (461 member(s) have cast votes)

Cross Teching?

1. I WANT Cross Teching. (260 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. I DO NOT want Cross Teching (115 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Undecided. (67 votes [14.57%])

Percentage of vote: 14.57%

4. What Is Cross Teching? (18 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Um, no, lol. Sorry, but anyone in the IS who gets their hands on anything better WILL USE IT! Clans of course can and mostly WILL stick to puretech. Seeing as how there is no word on salvage at all, this could be a completely moot thread.

#22 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostStarne, on 20 June 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I voted Yes for cross-teching. I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be allowed. If I can get my hands on clan-tech, why should I be unable to mount it on my IS mech?

Because it will unbalance, a MMO game.

#23 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I really would prefer stock and production variants only. But since there is the Mechlab, I see no reason not to allow crosstech with limitations.

Because it will unbalance, a MMO game.

I think the Mechlab is far far more unbalancing. That's in so what is the big deal with all players being on a level field?

Edited by Ian, 20 June 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#24 abetterpilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLouisville,Kentucky

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

It never needs to happen. in MW4, NBT:mercs created a league around puretech rules, and it proved to be a very balanced and tactically/challenging fun game that held the interest of many many players for several years. If they had allowed cross teching... the league would have died out long before, just like all those that had tried it, the same thing that will happen to MWO, if the allow cross tech. it will die.

the MWL aka mechwarriorleagues only very recently went down (and may be back) after active unit count fell below maybe 20 units
it lasted since 12/02 and all types of styles were played. It was funny though that most of the (leets) always bad mouthed any ladder style except team destruction/attrition, and yet the ladders that ALWAYS had the most units involved were team battle styles. the Brawler ladder (600 meter wep restriction, team only radar, min drop 5v5) out lasting them all except maybe the 3v3 ladders.

#25 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well, you got a year to worry about it, I suggest you worry about it then.

#26 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostCycKath, on 20 June 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

All for crosstech, after all who doesn't want to pay 10 times the price for a IS ER PPC for a clan-tech version, if they are even available at the time you buy. Cost difference should take care of it.

Because this would be the same as paying to win. You simply buy in game currency, and buy your clan weapons. To hell with balance...

#27 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Then I will assume that crosstech wont be allowed, because...

Thats nice. Glad you're not a dev.

#28 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

You may note that 3.) is not in 2.) and doesn't contain 1.)

#29 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Because this would be the same as paying to win. You simply buy in game currency, and buy your clan weapons. To hell with balance...

Ah so folks playing Clans when they come out will be by default paying to win.

#30 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostZso Sahal, on 20 June 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Thats nice. Glad you're not a dev.

lol, that made no sense... I have faith in the devs to realize that crossteching will ruin the game.

View PostIan, on 20 June 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Ah so folks playing Clans when they come out will be by default paying to win.

Your response is just plain thickheaded sir... You know very well I was talking about clan weapons, on IS mechs.

Edited by Teralitha, 20 June 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#31 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Your response is just plain thickheaded sir... You know very well I was talking about clan weapons, on IS mechs.

I fail to see the difference. Both players are using Clan weapons, why is the IS player paying to win? And please refrain from insults.

#32 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostIan, on 20 June 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

I fail to see the difference. Both players are using Clan weapons, why is the IS player paying to win? And please refrain from insults.

The difference is between someone with money to buy, and someone without. Paying to win. Its not exactly pay to win, but it sure is pretty close. If a clan weapon costs as much as an Atlas...

But this is getting off topic. The arguement here is balance in actual gameplay. And what is good for the game. Cross teching is bad for the game. Let them have cross teching... the game wont last very long once its added.. If its added. .. The day they add cross tech, will be the day that myself, and other puretech fans will quit playing MWO. And not long after, so will others. Cutting the population down dramatically over the following months, until it finally stagnates to the point of no return and fades into obscurity, and PGI will have no idea what went wrong because they thought they were making people happy, until they go back to this topic, and read my post, then slap themselves in the head. But at that point, its game over.

Edited by Teralitha, 20 June 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#33 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

I don't see the issue.

Clan weapons already have had their numbers tweaked for balance.

They shoot farther but generate more heat. (Typical clan energy weapons)

They weigh a bit less but reload slower. (Typical clan ballistics)

As a whole, I notice Clan weapons are more punishing to the player for missing with them.

Those are the in-battle stats, but they are also more expensive to maintain and buy. (In a persistant MMO environment, this is also going to punish losing with them even more than using cheaper IS gear)

In MW4, I prefered clan autocannons, but IS energy weapons.

I think balance is as easy as tweaking the numbers a bit.

If anything, it's making custom mechs that throws out balance. I'm talking about the Mechwarrior 2 stuff where you would put all the heatsinks in the arms, and then put the lasers in the legs and head. If memory serves that was standard practice online. That is what always annoyed me, I do like the hardpoints of MW4.

#34 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostVechs, on 20 June 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

I don't see the issue.

Clan weapons already have had their numbers tweaked for balance.

They shoot farther but generate more heat. (Typical clan energy weapons)

They weigh a bit less but reload slower. (Typical clan ballistics)

As a whole, I notice Clan weapons are more punishing to the player for missing with them.

Those are the in-battle stats, but they are also more expensive to maintain and buy. (In a persistant MMO environment, this is also going to punish losing with them even more than using cheaper IS gear)

How exactly are you able to view stats of clan weapons in MWO? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Edited by Teralitha, 20 June 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#35 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

The difference is between someone with money to buy, and someone without. Paying to win. Its not exactly pay to win, but it sure is pretty close. If a clan weapon costs as much as an Atlas...

Its the same as buying any other improved weapon. So buying any weapon upgrade is paying to win in your book. And actually I would think it would be more involved than just pay cbills to get clan tech. They are not the types of things you will find on the open market, but they should be available.

But this is getting off topic. The arguement here is balance in actual gameplay. And what is good for the game. Cross teching is bad for the game. Let them have cross teching... the game wont last very long once its added.. If its added. .. The day they add cross tech, will be the day that myself, and other puretech fans will quit playing MWO. And not long after, so will others. Cutting the population down dramatically over the following months, until it finally stagnates to the point of no return and fades into obscurity, and PGI will have no idea what went wrong.... until they go back to this topic, and read my post, then slap themselves in the head. But at that point, its game over.

That's your opinion. You are welcome to it. I completely disagree. For balance reasons the tech needs to be available to all players. If the Mechlab is in, Clan tech must be available to all (when it becomes available) to balance sides. So far as I can tell you seem to be attempting to browbeat people into believing your opinion is fact without anything to back it up other than more opinions.

#36 Vileus

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've always liked the mechlab and modifying mechs. I also liked the inclusion of clan weapons. Clan weapons may be superior in some ways to inner sphere weapons but they usually had drawbacks as well, some generated massive heat compared to their counterparts. Hardpoints were a great addition in later versions of Mechwarrior. I think clan weapons and clan chassis should be considered but the changes and imbalances it could bring should first be examined.

#37 Nian

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I don't mind cross tech, a few penalties would be ok tho, if its a salvaged weapon. Perhaps a stat could be different enough to be a non automatic choice. Like excess heat.

#38 Vilekon

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

So pretty much roll in clan mechs when they come out? I mean for the tonnage they are better than IS mechs is that whats gonna happen.

#39 Akula

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 152 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 June 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

How exactly are you able to view stats of clan weapons in MWO? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

He's going by the way Clan Tech differed over IS Tech in MW4 from the looks of it.

#40 Shivus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Clan tech is overrated. Except for clan gauss rifles, those are amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users